Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:25:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2014  (Read 55224 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #105 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:48 PM

If only it were enough to help Toronto finally get over the Leafs.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #106 on: June 05, 2014, 10:08:19 PM

Maybe at this point Toronto will take what it can get.

Giants are doing really well, I am going to be super sad when they go into a random deathspiral after the All-Star Break.

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 05, 2014, 10:44:51 PM

I'm sure between the lot of us we can pass as one real fan  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #108 on: June 06, 2014, 06:51:05 AM

There are teams doing well right now that I think have staying power.

Toronto - They are second in team OPS in the league, first in scoring runs, first in homers, but 20th in team ERA. The only question is if they can continue to outhit their pitching. I think yes.
San Fran - 3rd in pitching, 8th in runs, 14th in OPS. The pitching is carrying the Giants, as usual. I think the team can hit better as well, and they control their division.
Oakland - There's nobody functional behind Oakland atm. They are 3rd in OPS, 3rd in homers, and 1st in ERA. They aren't going anywhere. The only question is can they win in the first round? History says no.

Then there are the teams I think are bound to fade if they don't get their shit together

Atlanta - Great pitching, but the team can't score. 29th in runs, only ahead of the pitiful Padres. The fact Atlanta is tied for a division lead is an indictment of the division.
Detroit - Dead average in runs scored, but 4th in OPS. For some reason they aren't pushing runs across. Their main problem is a staff ERA over 4.00, and a Verlander that isn't very Verlander.
Milwaukee - They've feasted on an easy schedule thus far, but when Milwaukee plays good teams (top 2 of their division), they are 9-10. They are feasting on crap teams right now and I think that won't last.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #109 on: June 06, 2014, 07:39:06 AM

I want to believe that the Pirates can still do something.  That Polanco fixes their ability to score or that their starting pitching tightens up.  But as someone who remembers more than just last year, I'm counting on more of the same.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #110 on: June 06, 2014, 08:51:45 AM

I think the Pirates are suffering because their bullpen, which was lights out last year, isn't so very dependable this year. Bullpens are so fragile year to year.

I've been watching Oakland a bit the last few days. Since my Cubs suck so hard, this may be the team I root for this year. Something about the beardiness and the fact that of the guys were considered scrubs by other teams.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #111 on: June 06, 2014, 09:39:37 AM

It's not that Oakland's players are considered scrubs, it's just that if you play for Oakland you get ZERO pub. Nothing. That team almost never shows up on national broadcasts no matter how much they win.

Oakland has Josh Donaldson, who is arguable the best 3B in baseball. He gets no deals, no pub, no storylines. Oakland without Donaldson is a mid-tier 3rd place team.

Let's also remember that where Oakland plays is a shambles right now. They can take advantage statistically of every team in that division, many of which are hamstrung by dumbass contracts.

Outside of Oakland, SF, and Toronto? The MLB is awful this year, and the OPS numbers have taken another huge drop. Nobody can hit!

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: June 06, 2014, 06:05:29 PM

I think Toronto can keep doing well only if they stay healthy.  Everyone was seemingly hurt at one point or another last year.  Their pitching has gotten a lot better since the beginning of the year, so that 20th ERA is a little misleading.  Besides, in the AL they're their pitching is average.  Only 2 AL teams have an ERA under 3.50.  The third place team's ERA is 3.80, which isn't really much better than Toronto's 4.02.  Their starters have been fairly decent, esp. Buehrle, while Drew Hutchison has and ERA of 3.50 in 12 starts.  Dickey and Happ both have an ERA around 4.00 and I think Happ's might be under 4.00 as a starter.  The 5th starter spot has been a hot mess all year but it usually is with most teams.  As for the hitting, it seems like everyone is hitting the shit out of the ball this year.  Even Lawrie and Reyes, both of whom got off to really slow starts, are hitting a lot better now.  Like I said, the only thing that I can see derailing the Jays would be injuries.  If they can stay healthy I honesty think they can make the playoffs for the first time since 1993, esp with the AL East being weaker than its been in years.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 08, 2014, 04:03:39 PM

Machado needs to ride some pine after today's antics. He could have gotten someone seriously hurt with his bullshit.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #114 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39:38 PM

Just saw the replay of that. What in the hell was he thinking? He's going to get fined and suspended by the league.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #115 on: June 08, 2014, 07:43:06 PM

San Fran - 3rd in pitching, 8th in runs, 14th in OPS. The pitching is carrying the Giants, as usual. I think the team can hit better as well, and they control their division.

Actually I would say the hitting is carrying us more than the starting pitching, at least. (The bullpen has been fantastic). We have a top 10 WAR guy at almost every field position right now - I think it would be literally every position except 3B if Belt hadn't gotten hurt, and Pablo is 11th and still climbing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #116 on: June 08, 2014, 08:18:35 PM

You're still 6th in starter ERA, so we're splitting hairs on why you're in the NL lead.

The answer is the Giants are good at every facet of the game right now.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 08, 2014, 08:35:44 PM

Well, yes the starters have been good generally, but if you're going off non adjusted stats you're missing a pretty big swing due to park effects.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 08, 2014, 08:58:15 PM

Machado needs to ride some pine after today's antics. He could have gotten someone seriously hurt with his bullshit.

He should eat a suspension for that. Especially after blowing up when he got tagged "too hard" in the base path.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #119 on: June 08, 2014, 11:28:02 PM

He should eat a suspension for that. Especially after blowing up when he got tagged "too hard" in the base path.

That guy is a complete piece of shit. I'm sure he'll keep it up and I hope one of the dirtier/meaner teams hits him so hard with a pitch it ends his career. What a scumbag.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 09, 2014, 05:34:28 AM

Yeah - I seriously don't know what the hell has been up with him this series. I get he might be sensitive over his knee, and frustrated that he's scuffling at the plate, but it doesn't even come close to justifying how he's behaved.  Don't like being thrown in and tight? Don't deliberately overswing to clip their catcher twice or act like a child because you got tagged on a FC going to third.   

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #121 on: June 09, 2014, 06:13:08 AM

Well, yes the starters have been good generally, but if you're going off non adjusted stats you're missing a pretty big swing due to park effects.

I'm not sure how to feel about the ballpark effects stats. I understand that some are way different than others (Coors, Citi Field), but I don't know how much of it is truly the park and how much of it is the psychological effect of the park, especially when it's the home park.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:14:53 AM by Paelos »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #122 on: June 09, 2014, 09:24:34 AM

I just watched the video of that. FUCK HIM. Machado should be suspended for a long time for that shit. Give him 50 fucking games (same as the first positive steroids test). Tossing a bat at someone like that could do some serious fucking harm and there's just no fucking excuse for it. So a pitcher tossed you a brush back pitch (and I'm not even sure it was that - those are usually aimed at the head or upper body). Pitchers pitch inside. Get over it. If they couldn't pitch inside, you might as well get rid of the pitcher and put the ball on a tee for the spoiled man babies.

That shit makes me angry. Bad enough the whole Donaldson brouhaha happened after he got tagged but that shit is unacceptable. IMO, the pitcher shouldn't have gotten tossed for that - he did nothing wrong.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #123 on: June 09, 2014, 10:04:17 AM

I'd give him 16 games minimum. That's the kind of thing you have to nip in the bud. You can't let other players think you're going to get a slap on the wrist for actually flinging the bat into the field of play on purpose.

WayAbvPar

Reply #124 on: June 09, 2014, 10:37:44 AM

I'm not sure how to feel about the ballpark effects stats. I understand that some are way different than others (Coors, Citi Field), but I don't know how much of it is truly the park and how much of it is the psychological effect of the park, especially when it's the home park.

Why would you care? There is either a measurable effect or there is not.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #125 on: June 09, 2014, 12:55:19 PM

I'd give him 16 games minimum. That's the kind of thing you have to nip in the bud. You can't let other players think you're going to get a slap on the wrist for actually flinging the bat into the field of play on purpose.

Personally I find the smacking the catcher in the head shit just as bad, no way that is unintentional. He tried and just missed then did it again. That guy is complete fucking scum.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: June 09, 2014, 04:09:13 PM

Everything, from the size of the park, to the amount of foul territory, to the cut of the grass, to the lip between the infield grass and the base path, to the batters eye, to the prevailing winds and humidity effects how hard it is to hit various hits in a field.

Here is an example:

Compare Chase Field

to Safeco

Compared to Chase, Safeco is positively cavernous in the power regions(left center/right center), especially with regards to right handed hitters. The area behind the plate is larger, making it easier to pick up pop ups. I am not sure about the prevailing wind in Chase(Chase appears to be open front to back, which means prevailing winds will push balls further out or closer in, but not foul), but in Safeco the wind comes in from left field and pushes balls on the right side foul and on the left side closer in. Because the field is so large on the left field side when the wind is blowing out that way its not even particularly damaging to a pitcher.

To see the effect of this, just look at Felix Hernandez's perfect game in 2012. The very fist ball hit is a fly ball to right field which is caught. It flies about 380 feet, long enough to have been a home run in Chase, but eaten by the power alleys in Safeco.

Chase is 1.05 park effect on runs, safeco is .86 so about 22% more runs are scored in Chase. This is even considering that the image above is inaccurate after 2012 (at the end of the season the walls were brought in significantly in the power alleys)
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #127 on: June 09, 2014, 04:45:57 PM

I understand there are differences in parks. That's not my point. Some of them are very very obvious due to weather and dimensions. Most of them basically bunch up in the middle and change positions year to year based on the data.

So yeah I think there are certain parks where you certainly care, but I don't think it's a huge deal for about 20+ of them. If I'm buying a player from Colorado, I'm going to get concerned about his ability to play in Citi Field. I'm not really going to worry that much about getting a guy who plays in Turner Field going to Miami.

EDIT: But the other thing I wonder about is how park factors are effected by club philosophy. Would the Cardinals be the same if they played in Turner Field? Is the Braves philosophy of pitching first the reason that Turner has some of that effect? Perhaps the factors take those kinds of things into the calculation, but everything I've read about park factors says it's "really complicated" which makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:50:23 PM by Paelos »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 11, 2014, 03:13:12 PM

Who needs Bo Jackson?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #129 on: June 11, 2014, 03:17:51 PM

Why the heck is he playing left field?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #130 on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:12 PM

Then there are the teams I think are bound to fade if they don't get their shit together

Atlanta - Great pitching, but the team can't score. 29th in runs, only ahead of the pitiful Padres. The fact Atlanta is tied for a division lead is an indictment of the division.
Detroit - Dead average in runs scored, but 4th in OPS. For some reason they aren't pushing runs across. Their main problem is a staff ERA over 4.00, and a Verlander that isn't very Verlander.
Milwaukee - They've feasted on an easy schedule thus far, but when Milwaukee plays good teams (top 2 of their division), they are 9-10. They are feasting on crap teams right now and I think that won't last.

So far this is happening with Atlanta. They are about to get swept by the shitty Phillies, they can't hit, their fielding is suspect, and they aren't scoring runs when they get good pitching efforts. The rest of the NL East has caught up to the Braves, and they look lost at times.

Detroit has totally gagged, and the Royals are the new hot team in the AL Central. Detroit has as many wins as Cleveland. That division in general really sucks right now.

Milwaukee hasn't let up yet, but the Cardinals are closing in. After they leave Arizona, we'll see how they fare with 10 games against Colorado and the Nationals, 2 against Toronto, 3 in Cincy, 4 against Philly, and 3 against the Cards. I don't expect that close to .600 winning percentage to even be .550 by the All-Star break.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 18, 2014, 01:25:35 PM

Giants are suddenly in the shitter as well. Good thing we had that start.

WayAbvPar

Reply #132 on: June 18, 2014, 02:51:39 PM

Ms lost 5 straight, but are getting healthy with home and home 2 game series with San Diego (WTF, schedule makers), who somehow make the horrible Seattle offense looks competent. And they get to face Felix tonight. Enjoy!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 18, 2014, 04:19:18 PM

Why the heck is he playing left field?

A lot of outfielders have cannons(there are plenty of video's floating around of various strong throws). Its a different kind of throw from a pitcher and isn't done as often. He is playing left field likely for historical reasons (I.E. its what he has played) and because he isn't as mobile as a center or right feilder needs to be (right field, while usually a bit smaller has more dinks due to more right handed batters and so you usually have to run a bit further) and because the left field throw is one where there is the highest likelyhood of getting people out to maximize the strength of your arm. In center the distance is just too great for the most part and close bases are where you're more likely to throw. In right if you're throwing to second its not going to get someone and third is a long ways making that harder as well

The most impressive is probably Bo Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqtDykn0l0

Watch at 58:20 for him throwing out Herold Reynolds a year after he won the stolen base record, on a a hit and run, from the warning track. That entire documentary is actually pretty amazing actually.

edit: http://m.mlb.com/video/v25868281/cwsnyy-bo-jackson-throws-out-mike-gallego

Here is another good one. Bo throws a guy out at third from standing flat footed 300 feet in right field.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:23:09 PM by Goumindong »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: June 18, 2014, 04:53:33 PM

IIRC Bo bounced the Reynolds throw, not that you can see it on that footage, which is why my instinct is that I'm more impressed by the Cespedes one. They're both absurd, in any case.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #135 on: June 18, 2014, 04:56:05 PM

I meant why is he playing left field instead of right field. Outfielders with those kinds of arms (and not a lot of speed) usually play right field cause it increases the risk for runners trying to get to third on a hit to right field.

My favorite throw out a home growing up was the one Dave Parker threw at the All-Star game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PH6XJypKno

His -5 arm in Strat-O-Matic baseball was well deserved awesome, for real
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #136 on: June 25, 2014, 03:54:48 PM

Tim Lincecum apparently decided last year's no hitter versus the Padres wasn't as pretty as it could've been (and it wasn't, it was like 140-something pitches, etc), so he threw a much prettier one today (one walk shy of a perfect game, alas). I still hate that fucking mustache.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #137 on: June 26, 2014, 07:52:06 AM

Are you kidding?  That mustache is fantastic.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #138 on: June 26, 2014, 04:50:17 PM

it is the worst thing that could happen

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 04, 2014, 10:02:42 PM

Well, it looks like, at the very least, Oakland has wrapped up the AL West.  They just made a trade with the Cubs for starting pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel for 3 minor leaguers.   
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/jeff-samardzija-jason-hammel-reportedly-traded-to-athletics-1.2697298
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2014  
Jump to: