Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: True Detective 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 40668 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #140 on: July 31, 2015, 01:18:08 PM

Snikt snikt snikt snikt  why so serious?

That was pretty balls.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #141 on: July 31, 2015, 02:08:11 PM

I turn on subtitles in this show, as well as Game of Mumbles and The Muttering Dead.

lol

I wish subtitles came in a fraction of a second later.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: August 01, 2015, 01:58:53 AM

Marty watches season 2why so serious?

This kind of sums up my problems with season 2 (though not saying that it's bad, just not great like season 1)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: August 01, 2015, 04:56:38 AM

My gripe with it is, apart from a tiny amount of scenes, it's like a broadcast show.  I don't watch broadcast cop shows, that shit is played out for me.  "It's not HBO, it's TV"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #144 on: August 03, 2015, 08:04:16 PM

Well fuck.  cry

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: August 04, 2015, 03:16:23 AM

Was only a matter of time.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:17 AM

Was only a matter of time.

Agree. That episode was more of what I wanted.  What happens next?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #147 on: August 04, 2015, 07:41:36 AM

Shit goes sideways, people die, I imagine.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: August 04, 2015, 10:54:17 AM

I fear it will be a mass of coincidences that will bring everyone including Frank, Ray, Ani, crooked cops, crooked officials, russians, Catalyst and the children from the diamond robbery into a big shootout (hell they might even bring the molester from Ani's past into it to really ham up shock the audience). Hopefully I'm totally wrong and there won't be any big flashy shootout despite all the signs and the season instead ends in some imaginative way that answers most of the questions without relying on too many coincidences.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: August 10, 2015, 05:13:15 AM

So this is over, finally.  Worst drop from 1st to 2nd season since Heroes.  Didn't care much for the characters, the story was poorly told and the ending was trite.  I enjoy a 'good' bad ending but meh.

I guess the shootout was cool as was the guy in the crow mask shooting....Delcoro?  That's how unmemorable this series is, I struggle to remember the main characters names. 

Too much padding; why did we need the scenes with Ani?  and her two cop lovers.  Just one example.  How many times do we need to see Ani on the boat staring off across the water? 

Just not a lot of 'there' there.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: August 10, 2015, 05:50:58 AM

It wasn't as bad as I feared but still a pretty mediocre final episode that relied too much on coincidences and the way they needed to put in the whole
in the end was just meh.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:53:55 AM by satael »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #151 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:21 AM

The writing over the course of this season was just lazy.  Some of the casting really didn't work either.  Frank's wife was terrible, and Vaughn's acting was really hit and miss.  They also did kind of a weird job with Taylor Kitsch's character.  It was difficult to see him as remotely competent through most of it even though he was seemingly the best among them.

Eh, it was still mostly worth watching, but not anywhere near as good as the first season and they really need to tighten up the writing, directing and casting or this can get even worse. 

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: August 10, 2015, 03:50:42 PM

He VERY OBVIOUSLY thought it was a horrible idea the entire time, he simply couldn't help himself.  That made perfect sense to me.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #153 on: August 10, 2015, 08:39:12 PM

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #154 on: August 10, 2015, 09:47:50 PM

I got really tired of a dead guy that was never in the show at all (besides being dead) being a bigger character than all of them. CASPERE!!! this, and CASPERE!!! that. Overall, I just didn't really give a fuck about any of them. Cept Nails. That guy really tugged at my emotions.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 11, 2015, 07:33:25 AM

I got really tired of a dead guy that was never in the show at all (besides being dead) being a bigger character than all of them. CASPERE!!! this, and CASPERE!!! that. Overall, I just didn't really give a fuck about any of them. Cept Nails. That guy really tugged at my emotions.

This season needed a prequel.

Bunch of people joking on twitter that Season 3 True Detective should revolve around investigating wtf happened to True Detective in Season 2.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #156 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:22 AM

I want the next season to be about guy in the opening credits song.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:42:22 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #157 on: August 11, 2015, 02:41:29 PM

I agree.  This season was nowhere near as good as last season and the last episode paled in comparison to the previous episode.  Hey, TV guys!  That's not the right order!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: August 12, 2015, 07:58:57 AM

That plot was as incoherent as the mumbling.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #159 on: August 12, 2015, 08:35:59 AM

That plot was as incoherent as the mumbling.

This.

Every-fucking-character mumbled through all of their lines. EVERYONE. I kept trying to turn up the volume - I mean, I know I'm going deaf, but GODDAMNIT SPEAK UP MUSHMOUTH. As a result of that, the entire story was hard to follow because I couldn't figure out anybody's names. I still don't know the weasley black haired cop's name (the guy that was on True Blood and Intruders). The whole plot with the kids just felt incredibly unrelated and coincidental, like the writer was trying to make some existential point about the meaninglessness of all this struggling, but he couldn't think of a better way to say it without throwing in some utterly coincidental shit that just happened. I mean...

Was he trying to say that Casper the Eyeless Ghost was actually the father of the two kids, one of whom he ended up fucking? WHY? I couldn't even tell if that's what he was saying right before the black cop got stabbed and shot.

The last episode had SO MUCH tell instead of show in some kind of effort to explain all the loose ends that didn't make any sense even after they were explained. There were parts of it I really liked, and Taylor Kitsch's character comes off the best, IMO. But compared to the first season, this is terrible.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:26 AM

Yes, Caspere was banging the jewelers wife who was pregnant with their second kid, the first being the girl.  Which probably makes more sense than a buncha cops randomly robbing a jewelry store.  And he banged his daughter because he had no idea who she was.

I am the .00000001428%
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #161 on: August 14, 2015, 08:28:38 AM

Unsatisfying.  At least it was a short run.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 17, 2015, 03:01:12 PM

I finally forced myself to finish this - what a piece of shit.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:43 AM

Random mediocre TV crime episode with better music and acting. Plot was so embarassing in comparsion with first season. Eh...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #164 on: August 18, 2015, 08:25:14 AM

You know, I honestly believe that they'd have been better trying to connect the killings with the bird mask and the weird cult rapey thing that happened to Bezzirides to the weird rapey cult in the first season would have been a much more interesting take than the two jewelry heist kids.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #165 on: August 18, 2015, 08:36:27 AM

Ya, that does sounds better. Each season we could see a group of unconnected people take down a head of the pedo-rape-cult. Eventually the surviving detectives could team up to go after the body.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #166 on: August 18, 2015, 08:39:19 AM

I think it would have been even better if they'd taken that creepy supernatural vibe with all the King in Yellow stuff and actually made the connective tissue between the seasons been something supernatural.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: August 18, 2015, 08:42:09 AM

You know, I honestly believe that they'd have been better trying to connect the killings with the bird mask and the weird cult rapey thing that happened to Bezzirides to the weird rapey cult in the first season would have been a much more interesting take than the two jewelry heist kids.
That's the reveal I was hoping for all season. All I got was swamp poop and disappointment.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: August 18, 2015, 11:08:28 AM

Or they could have gotten rid of all supernatural etc and just had Caspere be killed by some random mugger and then have the story be simply about a race between feds and corrupt locals to find Caspere's papers on his shady dealings. They could have also ditched the whole character of Ani and made it be just Paul and Ray (and Frank) with Paul ending up as corrupt (needing money for his kids since his mother used his savings) but killed in some shootout and being seen as a hero while Ray starts as corrupt but tries to do the right thing but instead ends up as a fugitive and dead.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 18, 2015, 11:36:40 AM

I thought the guy who raped Farrells wife was going to be revealed as the same one who raped Mcadams. That would have been at least a semi decent twist compared to what was offered.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 18, 2015, 04:57:02 PM

Both Paul's wife and Ani each sensed the death of their loved one.  Hacky writing is hacky.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #171 on: September 19, 2015, 05:58:52 AM

I can't even bring myself to watch the new season. I dislike Colin Farrell that much.

The last one had me tear up.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #172 on: September 19, 2015, 12:29:41 PM

Unfortunately, Farrell is actually one of the better parts of the 2nd season. He is not what was wrong with it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #173 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:08 AM

Agree.  Which should tell you a lot.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #174 on: March 22, 2019, 08:19:23 AM

ARISE!

So thanks to Abrogado bigging this up on Discord, I started watching 3rd season of this starring Mehershela Ali and Stephen Dorff. This is fucking incredible, and I'm honestly not sure if it isn't better than first season. It's that good. Dorff in particular is really good, and the intresecting timelines are incredibly well-done. If you gave up on this show because of the crime that was second season, it's worth revisiting. I'm 4 episodes in and want to binge the hell out of it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: True Detective  
Jump to: