Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: 50-66% off on steam 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50-66% off on steam  (Read 16344 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: January 18, 2014, 05:24:24 AM

So is this worth a run out?

And for someone considering an impulse buy, am I interested in 'Massive Edition' which 'contains the full Secret World game and Issue #5, #6 and #7.' for £25 whatever the fuck that might mean?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:09:08 AM

OK, just bought it.  Ten bucks, no sub, what the hell.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:27:00 AM

Well worth it.  Great game for a month or two.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 10:39:09 AM

I picked it up as well.  Figure if I can't get 10 € worth out of this, surely one of my boys will.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 10:59:26 AM

It's worth $10 just for the atmosphere.  Note that the difficulty can be quite a bit higher than most MMOs, though.

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:01:51 AM

Note that the difficulty can be quite a bit higher than most MMOs, though.

This.  Make sure that you stay in the starting area until you have finished every single quest that you can find.  Also look over the ability trees for synergy.  Picking the right combination of weapons can make solo play much more enjoyable after the 2nd or 3rd area.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:18 PM

I've gone AR/Swords. I noticed I have a heal on both starting trees.  Should I forgo one of the support trees? 

First impressions
-The environment is VERY nice and atmospheric. 
-The quest system took me a minute to understand but I think I like it a lot.  It seems elegant.
-The UI is good overall, but I've been stumped on a couple of things. 
-I crafted my first item, a blade.  Crafting system looks OK but rudimentary. 
-The combat is nothing special so far.  MMO.  Maybe once I figure out all the combos and hinderances, etc. I'll like it more.
-I do wish some of the characters would shut the fuck up!  I don't need your life story to go get some ammo.
-The first instance was pretty cool.  I had to think a bit and look carefully at my environment. 
-The loot is...OK?  I'm getting cash and symbols I don't know I guess I can spend them later.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 01:04:29 PM

I've gone AR/Swords. I noticed I have a heal on both starting trees.  Should I forgo one of the support trees? 

First impressions
-The environment is VERY nice and atmospheric. 
-The quest system took me a minute to understand but I think I like it a lot.  It seems elegant.
-The UI is good overall, but I've been stumped on a couple of things. 
-I crafted my first item, a blade.  Crafting system looks OK but rudimentary. 
-The combat is nothing special so far.  MMO.  Maybe once I figure out all the combos and hinderances, etc. I'll like it more.
-I do wish some of the characters would shut the fuck up!  I don't need your life story to go get some ammo.
-The first instance was pretty cool.  I had to think a bit and look carefully at my environment. 
-The loot is...OK?  I'm getting cash and symbols I don't know I guess I can spend them later.

Combat is probably the weakest part but its still ok, imo.  I love how you can wear whatever you want since your stat modifiers aren't visable.  I wouldn't bother with crafting too much since its mostly useless, esp. in the early game.  The game starts to get difficult once you leave the first area, so its best to gear up as much as you can before you go to the next zone.  As per abilities/skills, I would pick one of the pre-set "classes" and work towards that first.  You'll be able to progress faster than guessing a viable spec plus you end up getting a cool outfit to wear.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 02:54:40 PM

It's a very good game but my memory is failing me.  There is quite a bit of info in "the useful information thread" but it might be dated by now.  This site is very good.  Scroll down to the solo builds and pick something you like.  Each region has symbols that you can spend for good blue weapons from the UN people (I forget their real name).  The symbols are per region though so you might want to save them for the vendor in the highest level area, which would be blue mountain when you start the game.

The difficulty does ramp up but all it forces you to do is get a good build/rotation and once you do that you will be fine again.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:51:55 PM

I see this is on sale again - thoughts on picking it up? Still positive on the game?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:16:34 AM

If you're in the mood for a new MMO it's a good option, just to see one that does things differently.  Since it's f2p now, the one-time cost isn't bad.

If you're on the fence it's one that goes on sale pretty frequently.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:17:00 AM

I see this is on sale again - thoughts on picking it up? Still positive on the game?

It kept me entertained for a few months as it was F2P but in the end it was just lacking. I never made it past the first island and was annoyed at the length of some of the combats.  I had enough skillpoints to do some of the advanced classes and the Tier 6 weapons, but the mob fights still took forever. No thanks.

I've found STO has more staying power for me. A better, more deciperable progression model and simpler daily tasks that fulfill my MMO fix inside of an hour or two a day.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:00 PM

If you aren't sick of MMOs (which I think I am at this point), SW is a better option than most.  I has a bit of soul to it, which most lack nowadays.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 04:18:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I reckon I've spent too much money this week, so I might wait for the next sale go round. We also started mucking about with EQ1 again casually since their free-85's promotion and proper F2P changes.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 01:32:57 PM

Note that if own TSW on steam and you buy the "Massive edition" you *don't* get a second account key. I suspect the new key associated with the purchase refuses to over-write your old (used) account key. Was hoping to use a "well I have a spare account" to induce the wife to play (she consider it "ugly"), but guess that's not happening.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:34 PM

FWIW, I've played a lot of MMOs in a duo with Sjofn and this was easily the worst 2 player experience out of all of them. The game really gets in your way a lot, or at least it used to.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 02:35:46 PM

Only place you'd really benefit is that parts of Egypt and Transylvania are a lot easier if you have another person around.  There's a lot more group quests as you progress and Transylvania has a lot.   Luckily when I was playing around launch, there was a decent contingent of F13ers around, so those quests could get done (well, there was also this one bug that helped too  awesome, for real ).   Plus, tank/heals are needed for dungeons.  So, it helps if you can bring that on your own.  

Honestly, this is a little tempting to play again just for the story.  It's really well done and a lot of fun in parts.  But, there are some frustrating aspects that keep me from taking the plunge (too many group quests IMO, some LOL Funcom moments and quest mechanics, etc).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:40:44 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 03:26:05 PM

I haven't seen anything in the core story and general zone missions that requires a group.

I'd agree with Ingmar though, this would be a terrible game to play with a regular partner. 80% of the content in the general zones would be trivialised, and the remainder would be solo instances that you'd be totally unprepared for. The dungeons need 5 people, so you'd still be pugging them.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 04:20:38 PM

I haven't seen anything in the core story and general zone missions that requires a group.

How far in?  It really doesn't become an issue until Transylvania and it's never on core story missions as far as I remember.

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 01:36:17 AM

In Transylvania, but probably less than half way in. There was one mission I couldn't do in Egypt, but don't think that was a group thing. I know I've hit a few missions where the mission walkthroughs state 'this mission got patched and x was made more straightforward' so it is possible the missions that previously needed a group weren't intentional and got fixed.

Or maybe I haven't reached it yet. But hard to imagine any group content couldn't be skipped.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:49:39 AM by eldaec »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  The Secret World  |  Topic: 50-66% off on steam  
Jump to: