Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread  (Read 110305 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

on: January 10, 2014, 03:30:16 PM

So steam is filled with all sorts of random shitty indie games, but many of them look tempting in their description.  I figured there should be a thread for people to come out and ask about such things before buying.  Seems a little silly to create a thread for each one.

What prompted me on this is that I just received a 90% off coupon for Krater.  I see several people in this forum own it.  Sounds like it might be ok (especially for 90% off), though it only has a 50% meta critic rating and looks very indie.  So, is this game worth $1.50?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:38:54 PM

I played Krater for about 15 minutes and shelved it - maybe wait 'till it comes down to $1

(nice idea for a tread btw)

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

I thought it was OK.  Personally, I'd say the neat art style was worth $1.50, but it wasn't super great otherwise.  Bonus points if you get a lot of enjoyment out of Diablo clones, but it's not something that's going to blow your mind even if you love them, I suspect.  Not great, but doesn't crash or wipe your hard drive or anything.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:47:17 PM by Kail »
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 03:55:27 PM

Desktop Dungeons - Yes
Don't Starve - Yes
Dungeon of the Endless - Yes, Eventually
Dungeons of Dredmor - Yes
FTL - Yes
Gone Home - Yes
Grim Dawn - Not yet, will be the second coming of Titan Quest though (as its essentially a reskin)
Van Helsing - Yes if Diablo 3 tastes like Dish Water
Papers Please - To the right person, yes
Paranormal - See above.
Rogue Legacy - Yes
Sir, You are Being Hunted - Maybe, One Day
Slender - No
Spelunky - Yes
Stanley Parable - Is it even a game?
Starbound - Yes
State of Decay - Dunno yet, maybe
Stonehearth - Not right now
Unholy Heights - No

(that's the indie shit I have installed atm)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:17:37 PM

If you have PS+ I guess you now have Don't Starve for "free" so play it there if you don't already own it.

In other steam news I finally broke down and bought a wired 360 controller for PC games and it is making platformers like rogue legacy ten times better already.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 08:03:04 PM

OOOOOO DON'T STARVE IS FREE ON PSN? WEEEE

(I bought 5 years of PSN+ for $20 a pop at Walmart on Thanksgiving, heh)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:32 PM

I think it's funny that you stated it this way.  Do you choose to like The Stanley Parable, or do you like it because it is good? Ohhhhh, I see.

I'd put a asterisk on Starbound to wait for the last character wipe.  I started it up and did have my character, but my planetary base had been reformed.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 06:49:24 AM

Desktop Dungeons - Yes
Don't Starve - Yes
Dungeon of the Endless - Yes, Eventually
Dungeons of Dredmor - Yes
FTL - Yes
Gone Home - Yes
Grim Dawn - Not yet, will be the second coming of Titan Quest though (as its essentially a reskin)
Van Helsing - Yes if Diablo 3 tastes like Dish Water
Papers Please - To the right person, yes
Paranormal - See above.
Rogue Legacy - Yes
Sir, You are Being Hunted - Maybe, One Day
Slender - No
Spelunky - Yes
Starbound - Yes
State of Decay - Dunno yet, maybe
Stonehearth - Not right now
Unholy Heights - No

(that's the indie shit I have installed atm)

I agree with this list for the games I've played (Dredmor, FTL, Gone Home, Papers, rogue, State of Decay).

I liked State of Decay but it was missing something for me and I stopped after a couple hours.

I disagree on Van Helsing but that's probably because I'm burned on that sort of game.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 03:47:01 PM

Well, that's all I need to know then.  I have a billion other games I haven't even gotten around to playing (including Van Helsing which sounds like it does the same thing but better), no need to spend money on this then. 

So, I have a 90% coupon on Krater that expires January 24th (makes the $15 game worth $1.50).  Who wants it!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 06:23:05 PM

Ill take it.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 07:06:34 PM

FYI. Something I first noticed during the Winter sale is the not/recommended review section, at the bottom of the store page for each game.
I'm not saying to read that instead of this thread, but you might find some reviews there that you'll find helpful as well.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 07:08:48 PM

Spelunky

I would have enjoyed Spelunky more if the damn ghost didn't show up so quickly. I'd like to be able to really explore the maps before leaving.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:19:05 PM

Ill take it.
Coupon has been offered up to the coupon god!

-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 08:23:45 PM

Thanks! Used!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 06:59:03 AM

Got a coupon for Broken Age. Looks... interesting?

Anyone have any input on it?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 12:28:56 PM

It's only Part 1. But, you get Part 2 when it comes out, it isn't a separate purchase. I'm waiting until the whole game is available to play it, myself.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 09:43:50 PM

I believe the only correct answer after his Kickstarter nonsense and bullshit philosophical discussions he tries to shove into videogames is "Tim Schafer can blow me."

Edit: I just realized there are now two Steam forum threads in which I shit on Double Fine. Double good.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 01:28:42 PM

Planetary Annihilation discounted -40% (24,59 instead 49,99€)

Yay or nay at price?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:43 PM

It's not done yet, but promising. If you're not wanting to jump into a not-yet-finished competitive game, better to wait.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 07:03:19 AM

I don't think I've ever heard of a 'gamma' test phase. Does this mean the beta was going on too long and it's not ready to release?

Some of the features sound great, I should install it and play at some point, I've been holding out until they actually release it (backed on KS for some reason).
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 09:49:57 AM

I remember playing ADOM v0.9.9 gamma 14 back in 1999, if that counts. awesome, for real

Ontopic: Banner Saga y/n/wait for sale/wait for "season 1" bundle?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 10:02:55 AM

Drifter

Worth it? Damn, it's so tempting.

Drifter is an open-world sandbox space trading game with a procedurally-generated galaxy 100,000 light years across made up of tens of thousands of star systems to explore and features an original soundtrack by composer Danny Baranowsky.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 10:12:15 AM

Drifter

Drifter is an open-world sandbox space trading game with a procedurally-generated galaxy 100,000 light years across made up of tens of thousands of star systems to explore and features an original soundtrack by composer Danny Baranowsky.
My old roommate.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:11 AM

Drifter

I picked up, 10 bucks seems reasonable to fart around with a little space game for a few hours. Will leave impressions after I have a chance to fart around with it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 11:19:17 AM

Drifter

My old roommate.

I thought that name sounded familiar. That dude.   awesome, for real

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 03:00:35 PM

So the upcoming sale has me trying to figure out what I should dive at (provided its on sale).

Has anybody tried DreadOut?  It's basically a sort of Fatal Frame knock off done by an Indonesian developer.  Looked promising, but reviews I'm seeing by meta critic aren't good.  But really, fuck those guys.

Any idea if its worth it on a discount?

-Stephen Colbert
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 03:09:27 PM

A Danny Baranowsky soundtrack encourages me to look more closely at a game. I never really played super meat boy much but the soundtrack has a lot of hours on it. Isaac is good too.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 03:18:43 PM

A Danny Baranowsky soundtrack encourages me to look more closely at a game. I never really played super meat boy much but the soundtrack has a lot of hours on it. Isaac is good too.

My old roommate! Every time someone says his name, I'm just gonna respond with the same thing. Postcount++

Edit: Shame no one outside of that house will ever hear his wonderful ballad for Gran Turismo.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 10:25:42 AM

What's up with Talisman: Digital Edition on Steam?  Worth it?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 12:32:37 PM

What's the verdict on the State of Decay DLC? You can get both Lifeline and Breakdown for like $7.

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 12:40:57 PM

I'm not sure how anyone lasted more than 30 minutes in State of Decay. It's pretty bad.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:43 PM

I'm not sure how anyone lasted more than 30 minutes in State of Decay. It's pretty bad.

Totally disagree. It's a fun sandbox zombie game with missions and building upgrades.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 01:24:50 PM

It's worth the pittance they're asking for, but it's by no means a good game.  It's entertaining for a while, then the repetitiveness and jankiness just starts to get to you.  It's a novel take on the whole zombie survival game, but it's made by complete hacks.

The combat is bad.
It's ugly.
It's repetitive.
The story is bad.  The voice acting is bad.
The AI is bad.
It's buggy. 

It has some neat systems that fit together OK some of the time. If it were made by a competent, better funded, and larger staffed studio it could be pretty awesome as long as the money men would let it stay close to it's original vision.  I just think it's very poorly executed and that's disappointing.                                                                   

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 01:29:26 PM

I really liked it, but I don't disagree on the ugly part. It's not a top of the line graphics game at all.

The story is a zombie story, which to me is just above fanfic stuff.

The voice acting was hilariously bad to me. Black guy's voice actor suddenly shows up in white character, and you go.  rolleyes

It's buggy in places, none of which broke for me, and the AI isn't any worse than other games I've played. AI is really dumb in general these days.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 03:09:48 PM

I picked up State of Decay on Paelos's recommendation in the other thread and am starting to regret my decision.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread  
Jump to: