Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Might & Magic: Duel of Champions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Might & Magic: Duel of Champions  (Read 4067 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: November 19, 2013, 12:16:48 PM

Don't know how many of you have seen this, nor if I'd call it an MMOG, but it's as much MMOG as Hex so... here it is.

Might & Magic: Duel of Champions

No idea what Might and Magic have to do with it, but this is essentially a Magic the Gathering Online collectible card game clone. It's not as good as Magic, make no mistake. It's F2P with microtrans in the form of packs, boxes, XP and gold boosts. There are currently 2 expansions and the base set of cards (over 600 cards in all). Each deck is centered around a hero from one of 6 factions, and each hero has their own stats and abilities. It's a lot more creature centric than Magic. There are no "lands" - every turn you are giving resource points, and the amount you get goes up by 1 every turn. You use resource points to put out creatures, cast spells, events or fortunes. The critters work differently than Magic. Each creature goes in a row (each hero has 2 columns of 4 rows worth of creatures). Melee creatures can only attack creatures in the front row (or back row if no creature is in the front column) and you can only attack creatures in the same row as you or the enemy hero if there are no creatures in that row. Flyers can go in the front or back column and attack creatures across from them in the same row. Shooters only go in the back and attack critters in either row. Each creature has an attack value, a retaliation value (how much they hit back for if they aren't killed outright) and health. Each card has a resource cost, but also a stat requirement - your hero has 3 stat values - might, magic and destiny. Each turn the hero can increase one of these stats, pay 1 resource to draw a card or in some heroes, they can do a special ability - but the hero can only do one of those per turn. So a creature might require 4 might before you can use it.

It's fun but not as fun as Magic. The thing it's missing is interrupts. Basically once your turn is over, you do nothing. You don't choose blockers because the attacker can only choose 1 of 3 targets (front row, back row or hero). There are no instant spells that are cast in your opponents turn. It feels a bit shallow. There are PVP duels, tournaments and a "campaign section" which is essentially thinly strung together matches against the AI based on a story of sorts. I ran into a wall in the campaign, as I went up against an opponent whose entire deck is full of critters that require your critter to be magic to do full damage. That requires a specific deck construction and without spending money on cards, I haven't had enough variation in critter to make this doable.

My name on there is HaemishM7 if anyone wants to hit me up for a game.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:42 PM

From a cursory glance it looks like it uses heroes of might and magic creatures, so that's what it has to do with it.

I am the .00000001428%
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:05:56 PM

I played with this in alpha/beta and purposely didnt post about it.  I thought it'd be too crunch for most people as there's a LOT to manage in this one including 2D positional tactics.  UI felt a tad clunky too and I hated the font.

Maybe I'll give it another whirl.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:08:57 PM

The UI could use a serious workover. Everything is WAYYYYY too small, especially the fonts on card graphics. The store really needs filtering options. The creature positioning is interesting. It does scratch an itch for CCGing.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:12 AM

Yeah I gave this a whirl too and while it's not terrible per se, I also didn't find enough appeal to want to continue to play it, let alone spend money on it.  I actually think the game board is too busy with all the rows, columns and extra card boxes (event cards,enchantment stuff).  Tutorial not bad, but you get thrown in the deep end where your need for better cards becomes apparent quickly after that.

For a primary combat game with non reactivity, I'd stick with Hearthstone.  For deeper complexity, i'd stick to magic and hex.  Not sure there's enough positive points of difference for this to make a dent in the market.  The HoMM IP itself brings nothing to the table, and the combat by rows thing doesn't appeal to me personally (see Scrolls, SolForge for more examples).

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:45:10 AM

Yeah laned combat is pretty close to an automatic non-starter for me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 07:38:39 AM

I was really into this game about six months ago.  Great game but like others said, it gets old pretty fast.  I spent about $40 and got my money's worth in playing.  The lanes don't bother me, it's a cross between a CCG and a boardgame.  The game needed more cards; everyone seemed to have the same decks.  Plus some of their purchasable decks were too expensive.  With no trading, they count on you spending a ton to get that deck you want.  Nope.

Since I'm the only one on these boards NOT in the Hearthstone beta, this is my only option for now.  Magic is a non-starter, been down the road years ago.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 12:04:47 PM

The lack of trading, and the pricing on the packs is really going to keep this game very small. It's fun, and I dig the idea of building a deck but if you don't want to spend money on it, you are going to have a slow grind getting anything.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Might & Magic: Duel of Champions  
Jump to: