Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  (Read 484786 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1120 on: August 14, 2014, 11:51:30 AM

Orcs didn't need the Demons to power the Dark Portal, they were just forced into building it as slaves to Mannaroth and the BL. Sageras' plan is still fulfilled just not under his lieutenant. Since Medivh - posessed by Sageras - had to open his side at the same time as the orc warlocks, he's obviously on board. He doesn't care so long as Azeroth is destroyed because the Titans are poopyheads who won't let him play in their Titan games, or something.

The portal isn't supposed to be into the future, it's still opening in the past. Only with Emo Orc McGrumpy pants granding his foreknowledge of weapon and magic advances to the hoDemon-Free orc hordes as they invade. He doesn't care that it fulfills Sageras' plan, he only wants to see the Orcs win as Orcs and prove he was right all along.  Orcs rule, all others drool.

As I understand, the players are going back in time to stop that new invasion via the alternate Dark Portal from happening.

Which doesn't matter as it's an alternate Azeroth they'd be invading because paradox would turn all the PC orcs from green to red otherwise.  Ergo the entire premise remains pants on head.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:23 AM

What, the Portal isn't open and instead it's some Michael Crichtonesque time travel mission to save azerothkind? I take it back, the plot sucks.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1122 on: August 14, 2014, 12:14:32 PM

1 - Reskin old stuff but with slightly new shrubs
2 - Put in nostalgia items
3 - Add raids
4 - Put in troll dungeon
5 - Profits

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: August 14, 2014, 12:16:00 PM

Orcs didn't need the Demons to power the Dark Portal, they were just forced into building it as slaves to Mannaroth and the BL. Sageras' plan is still fulfilled just not under his lieutenant. Since Medivh - posessed by Sageras - had to open his side at the same time as the orc warlocks, he's obviously on board. He doesn't care so long as Azeroth is destroyed because the Titans are poopyheads who won't let him play in their Titan games, or something.

The portal isn't supposed to be into the future, it's still opening in the past. Only with Emo Orc McGrumpy pants granding his foreknowledge of weapon and magic advances to the hoDemon-Free orc hordes as they invade. He doesn't care that it fulfills Sageras' plan, he only wants to see the Orcs win as Orcs and prove he was right all along.  Orcs rule, all others drool.

As I understand, the players are going back in time to stop that new invasion via the alternate Dark Portal from happening.

Which doesn't matter as it's an alternate Azeroth they'd be invading because paradox would turn all the PC orcs from green to red otherwise.  Ergo the entire premise remains pants on head.

This is incorrect because as stated in the live panel they just did, the 6.0 world event will be orcs pouring into the blasted lands for players to defeat.  Their portal goes into the future and there is no medievh.  in fact they haven't said is there is anyone helping on our side of things unless it's wrathion who in typical metzen fashion was the one who let garrosh go because "you need a common foe to work together against!!!1111 .....reasons"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: August 14, 2014, 12:17:16 PM

4 - Put in troll dungeon

I don't doubt they will but it's going to be interesting how they pull it off considering the trolls come from azeroth.  maybe, space trolls.....

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1125 on: August 14, 2014, 01:04:31 PM

This is incorrect because as stated in the live panel they just did, the 6.0 world event will be orcs pouring into the blasted lands for players to defeat.  Their portal goes into the future and there is no medievh.  in fact they haven't said is there is anyone helping on our side of things unless it's wrathion who in typical metzen fashion was the one who let garrosh go because "you need a common foe to work together against!!!1111 .....reasons"

I was going off the old, original information. I haven't followed-up since Blizzcon. Now it's even dumber, in ways I didn't think possible.  Wtf.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: August 14, 2014, 01:14:25 PM

I imagine Medievh on azeroth2 is just dicking around, playing chess with the sargeras in his head or something.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1127 on: August 14, 2014, 01:21:01 PM

4 - Put in troll dungeon

I don't doubt they will but it's going to be interesting how they pull it off considering the trolls come from azeroth.  maybe, space trolls.....

They can always have you called back through the portal to the old world for a dungeon, they've done it before.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1128 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:29 PM

Trolls are taking advantage of the distraction caused by Dark Portal 2: Electric Boogaloo. They're getting uppity, now kill them!

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1129 on: August 14, 2014, 02:16:05 PM

They made another deal with an evil troll god.  This time, however, nothing will go wrong and that god will not double cross, zombify, or enslave them them.  

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1130 on: August 14, 2014, 02:22:30 PM

Step 1: Make Deal with Unstable, Untrustworthy Voodoo God
Step 2: ? ? ?
Step 3: Profit!

Ed: The sad smiley was amusingly appropriate but not what I intended.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:43:46 PM by Merusk »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1131 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:00 PM

Trolls set up a lemonade stand. It's so popular they end up with stores in every part of Azeroth.

Turns the lemonade's secret ingredient is the blood of a troll god, and it warps your mind. We have to raid the headquarters and get back the recipe, which just happens to be in a jungle.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1132 on: August 14, 2014, 05:16:27 PM

Garrosh is pointing the alt-Dark Portal at Azeroth Prime, not Altzeroth. He doesn't just want to conquer but also revenge and to prove his viewpoint right, which means bringing the Iron Horde through to kill the fuck out of the real Horde & Alliance.

Except for the part where his beachhead gets the shit kicked out of it and a elite commando squad (i.e. the PC and a handful of lore NPCs) run through the Dark Portal, drain it of power, beat up everything in the immediate vicinity and then blow it up from the Draenor side. And then we build a beachhead and decide that as we've got our shit-kicking boots on already and there's a whole lot of things here to gank and steal phat lewt from, let's kill the Iron Horde. And everyone else that looks at us funny.

1 - Reskin old stuff but with slightly new shrubs
So how much of beta have you played, anyway?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1133 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:15 PM

When does Thrall die for our sins?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1134 on: August 14, 2014, 06:44:38 PM

When does Thrall die for our sins?

Two expansions ago, I thought.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:13 AM

I'm sure we sinned some more since then.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1136 on: August 15, 2014, 10:57:00 AM

November 13th launch will mean there's approximately 14 months between the expansion and the last content patch of 5.4

It will also mean there's a gap of 2 years and 1.5 months between expansions.

It's longer than the gap between Wrath and Cataclysm. When they redid the entire world. Does the content even remotely warrant this gap?

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: August 15, 2014, 03:29:10 PM

That's what doesn't make sense to me. What have they been working on that has dragged this out so long? They were supposed to be adding staff.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: August 15, 2014, 03:32:37 PM

The official line was that adding 80 new team members slowed stuff down due to transitions, whatever that means.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: August 15, 2014, 03:59:17 PM

That excuse is total nonsense. Adding team members for MoP would have slowed down the patch speed (which was really fast for MoP) too if that was actually true. It seems to me like they just chased a lot of bad ideas and spent time in questionable ways.

The new models were way overdo, for example, just like the Cata revamp was. Still, the fact remains that we're getting 0 new races in WoD. I'm sure remaking 10 races for WoD was significantly more work than making the models for Worgen and Goblins, but their insistence on making the revamp models *feel* like the old models means that the work they did doesn't seem as substantial as it actually was. They released a new feature trailer and when they show off the old/new race models (4:05), it took me a second to notice any difference for some models. It's pretty impressive that they managed to capture the spirit of each of the old models while completely redoing them, and few would argue that the old models didn't need to be replaced, but a significant amount of work went into remaking old stuff (just like Cata) at the cost of what people expect out of an expansion (just like Cata).

They spent most of their time trying to revisit old themes, aesthetics, and storylines from Warcraft and the result is an expansion that feels old before we've even played it. In that feature trailer above they show off a new raid zone (3:00) and I genuinely spaced out and thought I was watching a Siege of Orgrimmar clip. Maybe they pumped a ton of new art and assets into WoD but it definitely doesn't show.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:00:50 PM by Rokal »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: August 15, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

Actually for me the updated character models are way more interesting than the old world revamp ever was.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: August 15, 2014, 04:08:37 PM

The Mythical Man-Month not read much around here, I take it?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1142 on: August 15, 2014, 04:22:38 PM

Adding 1/3 more team members will slow down any project, there's no question.  The bigger question is why did they need to add 1/3 team members?  What is different than prior development?

They mentioned that adding the new team members slowed things down, but the only reason a company is adding team members is if they wanted to increase content production or reduce content production time.  Neither of those things were mentioned in the article I read.  So far it's seems a pretty shit ROI.

That said, I found the cinematic for the xpac to be pretty damn awesome.  I haven't played beta, I haven't even played WoW in more than a year.  I think maybe I'll give this a shot, because it's not pandas.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1143 on: August 15, 2014, 04:32:31 PM

IIRC they added a bunch of people from Titan that they didn't want to just fire when that project was killed.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: August 15, 2014, 04:52:46 PM

IIRC they added a bunch of people from Titan that they didn't want to just fire when that project was killed.

This is exactly it.  The only way to tell if the slowdown and new members were worth it though is to see how fast content rolls out from wod on.  Not optimistic but hey, it could work.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1145 on: August 15, 2014, 06:17:20 PM

I said it over a year ago and it holds true still.  I'll keep an eye on it to see if they do anything but I'm not subsidizing their bullshit anymore. Too many F2P games of equal quality nowadays.  They were big dog for a good, long time but they've stumbled on the content and I'm not paying for it anymore.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1146 on: August 15, 2014, 07:16:48 PM

The Mythical Man-Month not read much around here, I take it?
I've read it and I'm sure people at fucking blizzard have too so it's their own damn fault.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: August 16, 2014, 06:33:04 PM

Revamping the old seems to be Blizzard's creative development strategy along with its content strategy. Warlords of Draenor is a big "What If?" relying on tried-and-true lore instead of forging new developments.

The bigger question is why did they need to add 1/3 team members?

Talent retention. Blizzard doesn't let people go if they are overstaffed, they merely reassign them. Titan failing to launch would be a large indicator of excess staff on the project.

When the 600 happened, it was a shocker to anyone that is familiar with Blizzard's employee treatment.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:35:12 PM by Maven »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1148 on: August 16, 2014, 07:40:23 PM

I don't think revamping is the only thing they can do. MoP was by and far a large chunk of original content (save for the Pandas themselves being a long-time April Fools' joke). SoO and the patch prior were admittedly rehashes/revamps of old and new content, but it was rather refreshing coming out of Cata.

WoD will probably explore deep into Draenor's lore; about as deep as they did with Pandaria. We'll probably also get more quantum leap snippets or something from the character's in the alter-past's Azeroth. How they're going to reconcile the handful of characters alive in Azeroth Prime with their alter-past's copies should be fun (Velen for one).

I'm kinda excited for this again, mostly because WS turned out not to be my cup of tea that I hoped it would. If the game's still running after WoD, maybe...MAYBE...they'll put out some more original and new content/lorelol via some new planet where we finally get to take on the Burning Legion.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #1149 on: August 16, 2014, 08:41:38 PM

Not going to lie, this expansion has made me sort of care about the lore, to the extent that I actually read about the whole Grom/Mannoroth/fel orcs deal. Keep in mind, I've been playing since War3, and all 10 years of WoW (fuck me). If a cinematic can make me give a shit about what's going on more than 10 years of in game exposition, I  would consider that to be a home run and a half.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: August 17, 2014, 04:41:14 AM

Too many F2P games of equal quality nowadays. 
If they were equal quality they wouldn't have been forced to go F2P, though.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: August 17, 2014, 06:31:45 AM

WoW probably wouldn't survive as a sub game anymore if it weren't for a huge legacy fanbase, either.  The market has changed a lot in ten years.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: August 17, 2014, 06:41:01 AM

It takes a long time to lose 10+ million subscribers.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1153 on: August 17, 2014, 07:27:38 AM

Too many F2P games of equal quality nowadays. 
If they were equal quality they wouldn't have been forced to go F2P, though.  Ohhhhh, I see.

F2P remains more profitable than sub. I'm sure Blizzard would love to turn it on, but knows the shitstorm at this point would kill them. But go on carrying that WoW torch and ignore Hearthstone's revenue making up for WoW's severe missteps.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1154 on: August 17, 2014, 12:59:26 PM

WoW will trundle on in this expansion just fine. They'll shed numbers continually and probably hit the 5M mark. It's still so much more than anybody else it's laughable.

That being said, I will reiterate that now that ATVI controls all their own debt after the Vivendi buyout, the investors have no idea what's coming. If you read the financial analysis they fully believe that Destiny and this WoW xpac will make 2014 and 2015 incredible years.

It will bump 2014 no doubt. 2015 I'm looking around their pipeline thinking, "What the fuck do they have left? Another COD game? Those haven't exactly been getting incrementally better."

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Bitch Thread for Warlords of Draenor  
Jump to: