Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:04:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Comic recs from Marvel's back-issue sub service? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Comic recs from Marvel's back-issue sub service?  (Read 7561 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: November 07, 2013, 08:32:58 PM

I know we have a thread for recs, but this topic has come up a few times - anyone have recs specific to what you can get from Marvel's sub-based back-issue service?

I've tried poking around in it but it's overwhelming if you don't know what to look for. I'm looking for both the best available runs of major characters and also any smaller series etc I might not even know about.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:19:53 AM

Any of the Matt Fraction Uncanny X-Men run is good - from Messiah Complex until you get to Schism (where they go full retard). Uncanny X-Men #500 up until shortly before the end of Uncanny. You can probably stop when the Schism stuff happens or Avengers vs. X-Men. His run on the Immortal Iron Fist was also good.

I liked Secret Avengers (the entire run).

Ed Brubaker's Captain America (which led to the Winter Soldier story and the return of Bucky) is all good pre-Civil War (start with issue #1). I'll have more later.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 04:54:51 AM

Don't have a sub, so I'm just looking through the Marvel Unlimited app on my phone as I assume everything on there is what's included in the subscription.

If I'm not mistaken they have Christopher Priest's Black Panther run on there (should be listed as 1998-2003). Looks like they've got most, if not all of Peter David's Incredible Hulk run. They've got Marvel Comics #1 from 1939 apparently, which might be interesting from a historical standpoint. G.L.A. and GLXMas are fun reads. Most of Tomb of Dracula seems to be on there, but you'd probably want to track down the last 17 issues somewhere as well. Spider Man's Tangled Web had some good issues in it's short run, in particular Severance Package and I was a Teenage Frogman (issues 4 and 12, and 13 isn't bad either). If you haven't checked out the current Hawkeye series, I think a good bit of that's on there.

Plenty of other stuff on there but I got frustrated after seeing a number of omissions. There seems to be a huge blind spot when it comes to Dr. Strange. I can understand the omission of most of the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider's original series but the last dozen or so issues are quite good. No Blaze of Glory mini, no Hellstorm, only 5 issues of vol. 2 of Silver Surfer.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 06:06:51 AM

Priest Black Panther and David on Hulk, I endorse both of those.

Parker's Agents of Atlas was fun.

All of the Annihilation 'cosmic' books, including mini-series. The run of Nova that was associated with the Annihilation and onward 'cosmic books'. Same period Guardians of the Galaxy. The War of Kings cosmic books also very good. (I can't remember the other one in the middle, the one that involved Ultron and some machine aliens, that wasn't bad but it wasn't as good.)

The Perez/Busiek Avengers run (I forget exactly which one of those zillions of different time frames it is) was great mainstream comics.

Avengers Academy was good fun.

Beyond! was a great miniseries.

Books of Doom is good.

Captain Britain and Mi3 was excellent. Especially the arc where Dracula attacks England from the moon, that was pretty mind-blowingly wonderful.

Casanova is some of Matt Fraction's best work as a writer.

I actually liked Dark Avengers some but if you want the best "villains" book, the Thunderbolts run with Ellis writing was great, cynical stuff and a brutal in-house critique of Millar's approach to the Civil War storylline.

Doctor Strange: The Oath is one of the greatest Dr. Strange stories ever and really the last time he was treated well by Marvel. (Bendis seems to really hate the character for some reason and goes out of his way to abuse him.)

I like several of the iterations of Exiles.

Looks like they have John Byrne's Fantastic Four run. Probably the best pound for pound that those characters have ever been written.

World War Hulk and crossovers were mostly good--as good as a company event can be, pretty much. Planet Hulk was also fun.

First arc of Fraction's Iron Fist was excellent.

I love the era of Marvel Team-Up where Claremont was writing it; Marvel Two-in-One (with the Thing) had some long arcs that were really quite good with art by Perez.

Nextwave: Agents of HATE is possibly the best comic produced by either DC or Marvel in the last decade. Essential.

The Oz books that Skottie Young has been illustrating are great fun. I think they're doing the last one they're going to do right now.

Mark Gruenwald's work on Quasar is sort of fun in a weird geeky kind of way.

Dan Slott's She-Hulk is just terrific.

Skrull Kill Krew is weird and interesting.

Old classic What If? is uneven but has some great stories that actually eventually turned into "real" in-continuity stuff.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 08:31:44 PM

Doctor Strange: The Oath is one of the greatest Dr. Strange stories ever and really the last time he was treated well by Marvel. (Bendis seems to really hate the character for some reason and goes out of his way to abuse him.)

Bendis just hates superheroes and goes out of his way to treat super villains as sideshow clowns. It's one of the reasons I've hated his entire run of Avengers books.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Comic recs from Marvel's back-issue sub service?  
Jump to: