Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  (Read 326631 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #525 on: February 18, 2014, 06:49:57 AM

Ya, that's KS basic conflict of interest.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: February 18, 2014, 07:44:13 AM

How much of a kickback does kickstarter get from funded projects?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: February 18, 2014, 07:47:11 AM

5 or 10% I think.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #528 on: February 18, 2014, 07:48:52 AM

How much of a kickback does kickstarter get from funded projects?
5%. Amazon also takes a cut for handling the payment processing.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #529 on: February 18, 2014, 07:56:29 AM

Is good place to go for people investing these kickstarters?  I would think it'd be fun for the  internet detectives.

Kickstarter is selling appearance creditability not actual creditability.

"Me am play gods"
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: February 18, 2014, 09:39:20 AM

Nah, it's Kickstarter working as intended. Kickstarter only checks that the pitch looks good, not that the person behind it will keep their promises. They rely on 'the crowd' for that.
I disagree. The pitch was for a game. Taking the money to pay for services already rendered to create the pitch itself is fundamentally fraudulent.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:20 PM

Nah, it's Kickstarter working as intended. Kickstarter only checks that the pitch looks good, not that the person behind it will keep their promises. They rely on 'the crowd' for that.
I disagree. The pitch was for a game. Taking the money to pay for services already rendered to create the pitch itself is fundamentally fraudulent.

But they're all a bit like that. When these studios claim that they'll be able to add an extra feature if they raise an extra £100,000, and then another extra feature if they raise an additional £100,000, they're lying. An extra £100,000 makes bugger all difference to the feature set of full-blown MMO, any more than the total sum raised through Kickstarter actually allows the game to be made.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: February 18, 2014, 01:10:29 PM

Exactly.

It's not fraud as much as it's pulling a PT Barnum.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: February 18, 2014, 01:18:31 PM

It's just hit me that they're charging $15 a month to subscribe to the forums for their imaginary game.

People are actually paying it.

Oh my.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: February 18, 2014, 01:57:52 PM

I was told this just happened on SA.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: February 18, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

A shot for those of us without Rerolled accounts, if you please?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
dalien
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: February 18, 2014, 03:18:49 PM

A shot for those of us without Rerolled accounts, if you please?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to view the SA thread anymore without buying an account there.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:45 PM

I just peeked. He doesn't seem to have noticed it yet.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:46 PM

This is turning more and more scammy by the day.

They redid their website and claim they have raised $425k.  Which is not really true since they aren't on track to actually claim that money.  Furthermore, they don't say that it's potential money but put it out as money on hand without mentioning KS at all, while using that $425k to try and scam other people out of money in their store

*edit:* Also, supposedly the Champion forum tier was renamed to Apprentice Developer ($14.95 monthly)  why so serious?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:17:01 PM by KallDrexx »
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:27 PM

They're just flat-out lying. Kickstarter does not pay when the funding goal isn't reached. They raised $0. It really is scummy.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: February 20, 2014, 04:08:14 AM

I wonder if he's trying to get it shut down so he can blame Kickstarter for the failure?

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: February 20, 2014, 04:15:17 AM

I wonder if he's trying to get it shut down so he can blame Kickstarter for the failure?
Love Letters

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #542 on: February 20, 2014, 06:52:58 AM

He seems to have made the "We've raised" tag on his site "Coming Soon" instead of implying he raised $400,000. Probably because one of his lawyers got to him and told him that is fraud.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #543 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:55 AM

For some insane reason they are designing their website on the fly using the public url instead of on an internal site that only they can see so every terrible idea they come up with and try is viewable by everyone.  It is the same slapstick, fly by night, poorly run mess that the game would be so it's sort of like accidental truth in advertising.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: February 20, 2014, 07:45:58 AM

For some insane reason they are designing their website on the fly using the public url instead of on an internal site that only they can see so every terrible idea they come up with and try is viewable by everyone.  It is the same slapstick, fly by night, poorly run mess that the game would be so it's sort of like accidental truth in advertising.

I'm kinda looking forward to when they unleash the final store on users and watch it get hacked.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #545 on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:42 AM

Front page: "We're goin [sic] on an adventure" is just sloppy shit.

I have never played WoW.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: February 20, 2014, 08:29:06 AM

Cant stop, where alraedy late!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #547 on: February 20, 2014, 08:32:05 AM

The domain https://www.pantheonrotf.com/ is one L short of making fun of itself.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: February 20, 2014, 08:38:04 AM

The domain https://www.pantheonrotf.com/ is one L short of making fun of itself.

Maybe there's nothing to laugh about when pantheon rolls on the floor.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #549 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:01 AM

I want him to get funded just so the LOLZ will continue.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #550 on: February 20, 2014, 09:22:37 AM

He's being eviscerated on SA right now. He still hasn't noticed (or isn't commenting on) his avatar either. Last Bradpost was yesterday.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #551 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:14 AM

Not that we should really care, there are worse tragedies in the world, but considering his emotional fragility this whole thing is probably gonna hurt him for real. Real. If it isn't already.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: February 20, 2014, 09:34:11 AM

I want him to get funded just so the LOLZ will continue.

Not without a major investment and/or a corporate backer. The money they pull in from this crowdfunding thing isn't going to pay for the kind of effort they'll need to produce an actual working MMO.

They may not go belly-up right when the KS expires, but it won't be far off.

WayAbvPar

Reply #553 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:03 AM

He's being eviscerated on SA right now. He still hasn't noticed (or isn't commenting on) his avatar either. Last Bradpost was yesterday.

I had to go look this thread up to see what was going on, and ran into this GEM-

Quote from: Some horrible sperg
I hate say this, but while you were busy growing up and getting a job, a whole new generation of people without time on their hands came about.

But these people will never experience the glory that is a game where you have to put any effort towards winning. Your everyone-must-get-a-trophy mentality is what is not only ruining the MMO genre, it's ruining the entire fucking world. Because "no one has time to play anymore" everything is now designed to fit your cookie-cutter 2-hour-maximum playstyle. You can now buy your way to victory through kickstarter initiatives and cash shops, and get the best loot from all the dungeons by simply standing in line for it. You don't even have to talk to people anymore because that is a waste of your precious fucking time.

All I can say is fuck you, and your shameful mentality. If you don't have time to play MMOs then you should get back to your fucking work and leave video games to the people who enjoy playing video games.

And look what you did making me get all emotional on the internet. Fuck you.

Facepalm

We have found him. McQuaid's perfect target demographic. Hopefully his mom doesn't cancel the internet service to the basement when he doesn't clean the cat box.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #554 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:34 AM

Not that we should really care, there are worse tragedies in the world, but considering his emotional fragility this whole thing is probably gonna hurt him for real. Real. If it isn't already.

I don't really care when con-artists get their comeuppance, no.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: February 20, 2014, 11:30:59 AM

He lost any measure of sympathy from many people when he pulled the spineless parking lot layoff. I don't know him, but I worked for a company when I was younger that did nearly the same exact bullshit. It left a permanent scar of hatred in my heart for people like him.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: February 20, 2014, 11:35:55 AM

We have found him. McQuaid's perfect target demographic. Hopefully his mom doesn't cancel the internet service to the basement when he doesn't clean the cat box.

Funny thing about this guy is that the game he pines for isn't really a game.  It's a queue.  EQ rewarded people that had the time to wait in long queues, not those that were indeed skilled at the game.  McQuaid was excellent at designing queues with a game-like interface attached.  That's a lot of what I liked about EQ.  It was a chat interface.  I got to meet and interact with some very cool people while we were waiting. Waiting for mana to regen, waiting for a camp to respawn, waiting for a quest mob to appear, waiting for the boat to come... you get the picture.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: February 20, 2014, 11:42:55 AM

There's also no ability by him or his minions to pick and choose what may or may not be useful about the older systems and what was just plain misery. I really appreciated a lot of aspects of the EQ era. I'm willing to put in some time for the return of getting to know people. I'd love to see slower mana regen. I'd appreciate a solid non-automatic group finding tool. But put my name on a list to join the group camping whatever spawn? Wait 30 minutes for a boat? Brutal fights on message boards about the official unofficial reservations list to kill a boss?

No. Thank. You.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: February 20, 2014, 11:51:00 AM

McQuaid was excellent at designing
No he wasn't. He didn't design dick. Brad was a dikumud player, and EQ1 was a dikumud with a graphical interface. It had every diku convention, including superfluous one like server messages "it begins to rain" (in a graphical game where you could see the rain!), the holy trinity, threat, sense heading, considering targets, etc. In fact, EQ1 was so similar to dikumud that there was a lawsuit because the diku codebase owners believed Verant literally used their code underneath! They hadn't, but EQ1 was still unmistakably a diku.

Dikus were popular and addictive in their time, and slapping a graphical shell on top of one was a great idea, no question. But it was an idea whose time had come, with the rise of the mass-market internet, and broadband, and computers coming with low-end integrated 3D accelerators out of the box. If he hadn't done it, someone else would have-- UO had already proved the market existed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:53:12 AM by sam, an eggplant »
WayAbvPar

Reply #559 on: February 20, 2014, 11:51:11 AM

Funny thing about this guy is that the game he pines for isn't really a game.  It's a queue.  EQ rewarded people that had the time to wait in long queues, not those that were indeed skilled at the game.  McQuaid was excellent at designing queues with a game-like interface attached.  That's a lot of what I liked about EQ.  It was a chat interface.  I got to meet and interact with some very cool people while we were waiting. Waiting for mana to regen, waiting for a camp to respawn, waiting for a quest mob to appear, waiting for the boat to come... you get the picture.

To be honest, there are times when I miss that slower pace. I have decided that I loathe the linear quest hub to quest hub theme parks, with everyone dancing to their own tune and almost no interaction between people (even though I hate everyone). EQ was certainly different. I actually miss things like dangerous high level mobs wandering around lowbie zones and swatting the unwary, and hair-raising runs across high level zones. It felt like an adventure rather than a safe Disneyfied 'experience'.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen turns out to be a real game (real bad, geddit?)  
Jump to: