Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 NBA 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 NBA  (Read 53037 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #175 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:22 AM

I don't agree at all with your assessment of Jordan's teammates. Scottie Pippen was a better player than either Wade or Bosh, IMO, and it sounds to me like you're significantly underrating Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman.

This. I don't even know shit about the modern NBA, but I can tell you now, Rodman is still considered one of the best defensive players in the game. Jordan had a load of good players around him AND a HOF coach as well. Even if you consider Miami a dream team type of situation, it's not ever been the quality of the Bulls during their title runs.

EDIT: Also, again not knowing much of shit about the modern NBA, but I know enough to know that Carmelo Anthony would not make this Heat team better but worse. That's just what they need, a ball-hawking man-baby who has to be the center of attention on whatever team he's on having to share the spotlight with the guy the entire sports media world thinks is the greatest basketball player on the planet.

NO.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:24:15 AM by HaemishM »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: June 16, 2014, 09:26:14 AM

Miami is extremely top heavy, Lebron Wade and Bosh are better than almost all other best teams ever top three.  The rest of the team is super hot garbage though, Ray Allen's skeleton is the only other decent player on that team.  Wade is almost done too and Bosh is completely wasted in their system.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #177 on: June 16, 2014, 09:31:55 AM

The supporting cast in Miami is pretty awful and never really gelled.  The East was just so bad that it didn't matter at all.  So with the Heat you have a top shelf Lebron, a beat-up Wade, and whatever the hell Bosh is right now (it seems like they fit him in better last year).   The rest are either washed up or too inconsistent to matter.   Anytime you have Mario Chalmers playing significant minutes, you know you are hurting.  He's like having Mo Williams.  There is no reason you want this guy doing anything, but sometimes you don't have any better options.

The Spurs, on the other hand, were finally healthy and Leonard has developed into a core member. Plus, they have a ton of quality subs that can play significant minutes.  Oh, and they're the best three point shooting team.  And have guys that have been playing together longer than most other players have even been in the league.  They are a well built team, like a more talent diffused version of the Bulls.

I don't think if you swapped James for Jordan, the series would have been any different.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:34:06 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: June 16, 2014, 10:05:20 AM

LeBron did pretty well to carry the Cavs on his back in 06-07.  Granted, the Spurs outmatched them in the finals.  I'd say that LeBron is about as good as anyone that has ever played the game.  He's just different from Michael, Larry, or Magic.  Karl Malone would be another person that carried a team on his back but didn't have quite enough to win a championship (no, I didn't forget about Stockton... he just wasn't good from a scoring perspective).  

It really does take a team effort to win a final, but one strong player can carry you there.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:08:15 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:27 AM

This seems like the expected result to me.  A rematch from last year where the Spurs gave the Heat all the could handle.  This year, the Spurs are a little better and the Heat are a little worse. 

It'll be interesting to see if this Heat team stays together another year.  The East is so bad they can probably make it back to the finals, but can they really beat whatever the West throws at them regardless?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: June 16, 2014, 10:22:04 AM

Australians on the Spurs? 2
Australians on the Heat? 0

Coincidence? I think not!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: June 16, 2014, 11:29:56 PM

Re:  Lebron vs. Jordan

Their raw ability may well be equal.  Hell, given his physical stature, Lebron may have the edge.  But here's the thing:  Michael Jordan was nearly invincible.  He smashed everyone, all the time, and you could basically never get the better of him.  He beat the shit out of you when he was the only talent on his team.  And then, when surrounded by talent later in his career, he made it so the other guys also beat the shit out of you.  And when the other guys were having a bad day, he swooped in like Superman and beat the shit out of you some more.  Every.  Fucking.  Time.  You could not break that motherfucker.  He had a chip on his shoulder basically all the time, and good luck to you if you had to go up against him.

Lebron, on the other hand, is as fragile as glass in comparison.  Totally breakable, totally beatable.  He does not have the mental fortitude that Jordan had, not even half of it. 

The series that Miami just got blow the fuck out of?  Michael Jordan would simply not have let that happen.  Not like that.  That is the difference.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: June 16, 2014, 11:38:51 PM

We are talking about the same MJ who was swept out of the playoffs multiple times, lost to the same team three years in a row and quit basketball twice?
Rasix

Reply #183 on: June 16, 2014, 11:50:29 PM

gibberish

Can you produce a chart of their clutchedness (3 dimensional moxie v. grit v. indestructability)?

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: June 17, 2014, 12:18:38 AM

We are talking about the same MJ who was swept out of the playoffs multiple times, lost to the same team three years in a row and quit basketball twice?

I don't think I got across the point I was intending.  It wasn't that he never failed, because he did so often enough early in his career.  It was his mindset that he wasn't going to fail if there was any damned thing he could do about it.  I don't see that in Lebron.

I wonder if some of you are even old enough to have watched his full career.  If you are just looking at historical records, you won't have a clue.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: June 17, 2014, 07:19:20 AM

It was his mindset that he wasn't going to fail if there was any damned thing he could do about it.  I don't see that in Lebron.

So basically you just like the fact that he was an angry asshole?

Look, Jordan was amazing.  But the way you're talking about him is the way people talk about myths, not real people.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #186 on: June 17, 2014, 08:40:12 AM

Jordan was a jerk. He still is a jerk. He's one of the worst tippers alive, and to hear Charles Barkley tell it Jordan would spit on every cinnamon roll his private chef made so that nobody else could have one, even if there were leftovers. That's not a joke, Barkley actually said that in an interview.

Lebron will never live up to Jordan's legacy because Jordan's team was better. But nobody cares about the teams in American media. They single out one guy because it's easier to sell.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: June 26, 2014, 04:52:05 PM

So I guess the draft for this is going on right now or something.  You can tell how much this board is in to the NBA by hype in this thread.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #188 on: June 27, 2014, 07:00:38 PM

So I guess the draft for this is going on right now or something.  You can tell how much this board is in to the NBA by hype in this thread.

My team didn't have a pick.  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:36 AM

Unless you are a cavs bucks or sixers fan the draft wasn't terribly interesting.  I hope the guy my magic took over Exum turns out to be worth it.

I am the .00000001428%
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: July 11, 2014, 09:47:16 AM

So he is headed back to Cleveland.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24616046/lebron-james-announces-return-to-cleveland-cavaliers

I'm a little surprised. I believe he would have gotten more money in Miami plus an already proven team. I guess if he wins in Cleveland, they will erect statues of him.
Rasix

Reply #191 on: July 11, 2014, 09:52:37 AM

I think that's a fun move.  The Miami big 3 was producing rather boring basketball and Dwayne Wade's knees are being held together with dental floss and the happy thoughts of children.

Lebron has 2 championships.  He won't end up being a Karl Malone or Charles Barkley. He can't be Jordan on court, and I don't think he really wants to.  He can basically do whatever he wants and this instantly makes Cleveland the odds on favorite in the east to go to the finals given that Bosh will probably land in the west. 

This greatly raises his post basketball earning potential and helps him finish out his career on a good note. 

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #192 on: July 11, 2014, 09:54:44 AM

He's righting a wrong, and this time they have the pieces to make it possibly work.

I don't think it WILL work, but the potential is higher there than in Miami plus the feels, man.

Rasix

Reply #193 on: July 11, 2014, 09:55:54 AM

Kyrie Irving is a big upgrade over Mo Williams.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #194 on: July 11, 2014, 10:07:37 AM

So he is headed back to Cleveland.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24616046/lebron-james-announces-return-to-cleveland-cavaliers

I'm a little surprised. I believe he would have gotten more money in Miami plus an already proven team. I guess if he wins in Cleveland, they will erect statues of him.

If anyone brings Cleveland a championship (in any sport), they'll erect statues. Sadly, I still don't see it happening.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #195 on: July 11, 2014, 10:10:45 AM

I am not sure I can adequately express how fucking sick I am of hearing about anything to do with LeBron fucking James. I hope he falls into the Cuyahoga and is burned to death before he drowns just so everyone will SHUT THE FUCK UP about him.

e- saw this on Twitter and had to share.

Most popular search in Cleveland right now-

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:07:34 AM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #196 on: July 11, 2014, 05:26:53 PM

Wait, so the team that LeBron publicly humiliated in front of millions with his 'The Decision' shit will take him back?

Wow
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:39 PM

It's a business.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #198 on: July 11, 2014, 05:41:10 PM

Wait, so the team that LeBron publicly humiliated in front of millions with his 'The Decision' shit will take him back?

Wow

Fans are all whores in varying degrees. They'll put up with anything for wins.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: July 11, 2014, 05:56:12 PM

Yeah well, Gilbert didn't behave any better and LeBron is still going back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: July 11, 2014, 05:59:56 PM

I'd say he behaved worse, really. That's the part that surprises me more - LeBron going back, not LeBron being taken back.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:40 PM

Fans/ESPN will eat this shit up. They will love him more than before he left. Prodigal son and all that. Lebron is smart, he has played this perfectly. He will make even more from endorsements than he would have if he'd stayed in Miami.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:32 AM

Fans/ESPN will eat this shit up. They will love him more than before he left. Prodigal son and all that. Lebron is smart, he has played this perfectly. He will make even more from endorsements than he would have if he'd stayed in Miami.

Not only that, but he no longer has the pressure to win a championship, since he has his rings. Now he can rightly point the finger at the organization and tell them to put up the money and get him the players and he will lead them to a championship and it can't come back on him for not being a winner, since he already is.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: July 24, 2014, 04:16:32 PM

Morgan Freeman reads Lebron's letter on going back to Cleveland. awesome, for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj9Ei7FGQgg
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 09, 2015, 12:55:09 PM

DeMarcus Cousins went off on an incoherent rant about "god's plan" after a recent game, apparently:

"I ain't pumped up. I've just got a lot on my mind," he told reporters. "The crazy thing about it is, I've just got a question for y'all: How you gonna stop God's plan? How you gonna do that? How you gonna do that? That's all I want to know. How you gonna stop God's plan?

"Man, this city done put me through so much, and I stayed loyal to it the whole time. Hey, I just wanna know, how you gonna stop God's plan? God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers. The marathon continues. I'm out."

why so serious?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: February 09, 2015, 01:21:04 PM

Is that you Kanye?

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 NBA  
Jump to: