Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 06:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 NBA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 NBA  (Read 53320 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: April 29, 2014, 11:41:49 AM

And he'll likely make >$500 million from doing so awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.

Yup.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #106 on: April 29, 2014, 11:50:07 AM

Adam Silver said the owners can force him to sell with a 3/4ths vote, which it seems like they have.

Considering the Clippers have lost a SHITTON of corporate sponsorship deals in the last 4 days just because of the controversy, I'm pretty sure the other owners will be smart enough to see the writing on the wall, whether they agree with Sterling's racist views or not. Money talks, bullshit walks.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #107 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54:10 AM

Yep, if they won't vote him out, the entire world is going to know they condone working with a racist idiot who can't keep his mouth shut or keep it in his pants.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54:37 AM

And he'll likely make >$500 million from doing so awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.

Yup.

Plus whatever profits gleaned from the Clippers going deep into the playoffs, assuming they do.  Recall, the league is largely revenue shared as well.  So Sterling and and his ilk make out like bandits regardless.
This is why most folk with half a brain called for the players and coaches to simply not play.  Any other show of solidarity (like the retarded inside-out shirt crap) is lame beyond belief.

Any other normal work environment, where folk are strapped for cash, living check-to-check, etc. and the employees would walk under racial-harassment.  Women put under similar conditions would do the same.  However, these guys all have golden parachutes, and they all stayed to make this guy money.  It's despicable.  If this was the 60's or they were unpaid amateurs, none of them would be playing tonite.

Therein lie the reason Gumbel did the piece he did on the hypocrisy of the NBA.

Furthermore, no one will remember the '14 Clippers for going deep into the playoffs.  It's unimportant.  They would be remembered as the team that sat out for a racist; which is wholly more credible, important, and valued then even a championship in some cases.  Do none of these fools (including Doc Rivers) see that?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:58:04 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #109 on: April 29, 2014, 12:06:03 PM

I'm never going to lambast someone for protecting their own money from a racist idiot. Walking away only voids their contracts.

It's easy when you're guy on the internet with no stake. It's another thing when you're about to give up $10M to make a stand against a guy who didn't do anything criminally wrong. I don't think it's worth it at all. I'd wait for the NBA to do what it's doing, and go on about my business.

WayAbvPar

Reply #110 on: April 29, 2014, 12:47:44 PM

Good for Silver. Not much else he could really do, but I am sure the Satanic turd he replaced would have done far less, taken far longer, and been far smugger about it at every turn.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #111 on: April 29, 2014, 12:48:50 PM

Good for Silver. Not much else he could really do, but I am sure the Satanic turd he replaced would have done far less, taken far longer, and been far smugger about it at every turn.

He'd still be doing his intro speech.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #112 on: April 29, 2014, 01:00:27 PM

Given that Sterling has been a known racist idiot for decades:

- I can't blame the players. They've known about this clown for years, all their predecessors at the Clippers knew about it and did nothing overt, because it was obvious the league didn't care and they have their own careers and families to worry about. Potentially hanging your free agent future out to dry, especially as one of the guys who is more borderline, and in the process giving this chucklefuck several million dollars back doesn't seem like the right move. Collective action has to hurt the target more than it hurts you in order to be a sensible strategy, especially if the reason for it is purely symbolic as it would have been in this case. This wouldn't have been like workers striking for fair pay or safe working conditions. The union doing something league-wide, might have had an effect, because then the borderline guys are protected. A unilateral action by just one team's worth of players? Probably backfires on them and they know it.

- Fuck the league for not doing something about it years ago, like for example when it became public that he doesn't just say vile shit, but actually puts vile shit into action in his day job as a landlord. These guys circled the wagons around him until he forced their hand Marge Schott style, probably because most of them have similarly terrible shit in their closets they don't want dug up. They get no credit from me for doing something they should have done ages ago.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #113 on: April 29, 2014, 01:06:28 PM

In a rare case I actually agree with you. They botched this thing from years ago by not kicking his slumlord ass to the curb.

But as I said, I don't trust the NBA to do anything that isn't for shiny veneer. How many owners if we taped them talking about race would have similar issues? I'm betting more than half.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #114 on: April 29, 2014, 02:11:48 PM

How many owners if we taped them talking about race would have similar issues? I'm betting more than half.

Probably at least that many. However, they didn't get busted, he did. I think the NBA took the right action with this. They really should have kicked his ass to the curb years ago. The fact that a Justice Department investigation found he was racially discriminating against tenants back in 2006 didn't cause any sort of media stir but a fight with his gold digging girlfriend over a fucking Instagram photo is not only an indictment of the NBA, but the whole goddamn media. I knew NOTHING about that Justice Dept. thing until today. ZERO. Why the fuck was that not front page news?

However, this ought to be a fucking lesson to billionaire shitheads. Stop fucking gold digging bitches young enough to be your fucking granddaughter. Bitches be crazy. You never know what they are going to do and you won't always like it.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #115 on: April 29, 2014, 02:34:49 PM

At the very least, be more choosy. I mean if you're worth a billion and own a sports team, I'm fairly sure bitches are literally tossing themselves at you daily. I'm sorry, but as a dude that's almost impossible to ignore. I've seen some of these women at NBA games that are in full chase mode, and it's absurd how hot they are.

If you're going to get some strange you can make them jump through a few hoops at the very least. Get a better screening process.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: April 29, 2014, 03:00:59 PM

I'm never going to lambast someone for protecting their own money from a racist idiot. Walking away only voids their contracts.

It's easy when you're guy on the internet with no stake. It's another thing when you're about to give up $10M to make a stand against a guy who didn't do anything criminally wrong. I don't think it's worth it at all. I'd wait for the NBA to do what it's doing, and go on about my business.

No stake?  I left my last job partly for similar reasons.  And I left myself w/o a pot to piss in; and it was far from well paying.   Prior to that I had a job for 8+ yrs wherein I was woefully underpaid for similar reasons and had to "quit" ala Elgin Baylor in order to get some semblance of restitution.   Those guys (Clippers) will be just fine (they've been paid for their season already), and likely gain endorsements and better contracts from their actions.... yet they stayed.  Their contracts??  Moot points for a soon-to-be-defunct owner.

Also, realize this.  Sterling now has all the leverage because he will likely be forced to sell.  Which means he'll get the highest bidder and max value for his team... the same team that decided it was smart to not walk away.  Sources say now even, that Sterling has no intention of even selling.

Had they walked, his team would have little value and Sterling would be forced to sell regardless... the same players likely getting picked up by the next regime.

Their current contracts mean absolutely jack and shit except to appease the current owner.  All those contracts would have to be re-written under a new one anyways and the NBA likely would render them currently void regardless.

You can try as you might to convince me otherwise, but I still firmly believe, given all the relevant facts, that a team lockout would've been the smartest option.  Guys like Sterling and leagues like the NBA only get the hint when you quit.  Anything else only serves to line their smug pockets.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:06:37 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #117 on: April 29, 2014, 03:06:45 PM

Why in the world would they have to rewrite legally binding contracts because the team sells? That doesn't happen in other industries. You buy what you buy, contracts and all.

Also, I wouldn't walk away from $10M because the guy was a racist jerk. I don't care if I have $20M in the bank. That kind of money isn't something you can just handwave, that's my point. People change their minds when faced with those kinds of tough decisions.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 29, 2014, 03:18:22 PM

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits employers from fining individuals for opposing discrimination. NBA contracts can also not "contract around" civil rights protections, meaning NBA players who boycott games over an owners' racism may be protected under the law.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140426/donald-sterling-la-clippers-adam-silver-nba/#ixzz30JfGDA7M

Contracts get re-negotiated all the time when conditions within the workplace change.  An ownership change due to racism is about a big a change there is.  The players have plenty of power in this.

edit:
Also realize, there's not a league or owner in their right mind that would hang Doc Rivers and the entire Clippers team out to dry.  They could quit and not get paid and still likely be recompensed by the league out of good faith, even if their existing contracts were upheld in court.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:37:17 PM by Ghambit »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 29, 2014, 03:36:46 PM

No stake?  I left my last job partly for similar reasons.  And I left myself w/o a pot to piss in; and it was far from well paying.   Prior to that I had a job for 8+ yrs wherein I was woefully underpaid for similar reasons and had to "quit" ala Elgin Baylor in order to get some semblance of restitution.   Those guys (Clippers) will be just fine (they've been paid for their season already), and likely gain endorsements and better contracts from their actions.... yet they stayed.  Their contracts??  Moot points for a soon-to-be-defunct owner.

Also, realize this.  Sterling now has all the leverage because he will likely be forced to sell.  Which means he'll get the highest bidder and max value for his team... the same team that decided it was smart to not walk away.  Sources say now even, that Sterling has no intention of even selling.

Had they walked, his team would have little value and Sterling would be forced to sell regardless... the same players likely getting picked up by the next regime.

Their current contracts mean absolutely jack and shit except to appease the current owner.  All those contracts would have to be re-written under a new one anyways and the NBA likely would render them currently void regardless.

You can try as you might to convince me otherwise, but I still firmly believe, given all the relevant facts, that a team lockout would've been the smartest option.  Guys like Sterling and leagues like the NBA only get the hint when you quit.  Anything else only serves to line their smug pockets.

You weren't a union member, right? I think that is an important factor here.

From what I heard on the radio today from Mark Silver, the union was prepared to call a boycott of all 3 games tonight if the penalty for Sterling wasn't high enough, and they had already gotten buy-in from all the players. I would think that should satisfy your wishes here.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:52 PM

No, it satisfies nothing but Donald Sterling.  He's still a racist and will now be rewarded handsomely for it.  This time next year you'll find him hiding in a phat penthouse in Tel Aviv so his kin can avoid the estate tax from the billion+ dollar sale of his slave-team.  Satisfied?  Lolz.

I fail to even see how this man was even penalized.  The paltry fine he got doesn't even dent the profits he'll make from the playoffs alone.  And the forced sale of a complete hall-of-fame level team just jacks up the price.  Shit, I wouldn't doubt if he orchestrated the whole thing on purpose.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 29, 2014, 03:47:41 PM

I mean in terms of a gesture from the players.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: April 29, 2014, 03:50:41 PM

No, it satisfies nothing but Donald Sterling.  He's still a racist and will now be rewarded handsomely for it.  This time next year you'll find him hiding in a phat penthouse in Tel Aviv so his kin can avoid the estate tax from the billion+ dollar sale of his slave-team.  Satisfied?  Lolz.

I fail to even see how this man was even penalized.  The paltry fine he got doesn't even dent the profits he'll make from the playoffs alone.  And the forced sale of a complete hall-of-fame level team just jacks up the price.  Shit, I wouldn't doubt if he orchestrated the whole thing on purpose.

If he wanted to sell the team he could've just done so.

I am the .00000001428%
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: April 29, 2014, 04:18:56 PM

I posit he doesn't want to sell the team right now because he'd have to give his wife a large chunk of the proceeds.  Why do you think she hung around and allowed him to roam freely with his adulteress?  I'm sure she's got a pre-nup; when it matures he'll sell the team.  If the league forces him to sell earlier, it may abdicate him of having to give her as much money... if any at all.   Regardless, it's another chip in Donald's favor as he'll require more recompense with his wife in the picture.   Furthermore, his tax base is not likely setup quite yet to maximally benefit from a sale at this time (as I somewhat alluded to before).

He'll stall to get his ducks in a row I'm sure.

I'd say if there's any real penalty in all of this, is that the sudden force of sale will make it more difficult to hide his money.  But that's it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #124 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:08 PM

We're not going to cut his head off in the street and seize his assets for being a bigot. This isn't a revolution.

Removing him from the league is the best solution. You don't just get to steal the man's team because he's an asshole.

EDIT: Also here's a problem I have with the boycott idea, did he discriminate against players based on race? I don't think it's that cut and dry.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:27:18 PM by Paelos »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 29, 2014, 06:15:11 PM

Actually there were reports that he wanted to nix the Reddick trade because he didn't want to pay that much for a white player.

I am the .00000001428%
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 29, 2014, 06:22:01 PM

Let's get this out of the way.  He does not own the team, he owns the Clippers.  There is a difference.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #127 on: April 29, 2014, 06:37:02 PM

He's a billionaire in America. Short of the actual blood in the streets, there is no penalty anyone in this fucking country can stick to him that won't leave him still insanely wealthy and immune. The NBA did the most it could do, apparently, and the deal was signed off on by the player's union, which means the players didn't have to and shouldn't pull a boycott. Would it hurt him? A little but in the long run, this isn't about punishing him so much as just getting him and his toxic PR away from the league.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #128 on: April 29, 2014, 06:56:49 PM

Let's get this out of the way.  He does not own the team, he owns the Clippers.  There is a difference.

He won't own anything in the NBA soon.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 01, 2014, 01:01:51 AM

In an interesting response, the NBA released it's formerly secret constitution yesterday.

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

Two lawyers on another forum I read have looked it over, and they think the 2.5 million fine looks really iffy, and the NBA is in for a really hard fight if they want to force him out. the 2.5 Million fine is based on Article 24(l), but that provision only applies in cases where no other rule applies. Article 35A(d) covers conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the organization, and allows the lifetime ban, but allows for a max 1 million fine. So if Sterling decides to fight that fine he is is on very solid ground.

Worse, forcing him out is going to be harder. Their attempt is probably going to be based on Article 13(a) - but that article requires a willful violation of the Constitution/Bylaws. Given that the remarks were made in an illegally recorded and subsequently leaked private conversation, "willful" is going to be a very hard sell. Particularly since the remarks were on the privacy of his own home and regarded personal matters mainly.

So if sterling decides to fight this on a matter of principle he actually has a strong case.

Hic sunt dracones.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 01, 2014, 01:49:31 AM

There is all kinds of other pressure though.  Doc Rivers will quit if he is the owner next year, or so he says.  Tons of sponsors have pulled out.  If he remains owner, I think we might seem players refusing to play.  There is more than just a legal battle going on.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #131 on: May 01, 2014, 06:47:35 AM

In related news, Harry Reid is asking Dan Snyder to rename his team.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 01, 2014, 04:16:38 PM

In related news, Harry Reid is asking Dan Snyder to rename his team.

I asked for that for years, ever since I was a little kid watching the NFL actually.  It's always been a ridiculous team name to me, especially given the location of the team.

There is all kinds of other pressure though.  Doc Rivers will quit if he is the owner next year, or so he says.  Tons of sponsors have pulled out.  If he remains owner, I think we might seem players refusing to play.  There is more than just a legal battle going on.

And they just go back to being the old clippers.   Ohhhhh, I see.
The player's union (or clippers team) not acting quickly just made this whole situation a lot more complicated then it needed to be.  The fact that they were locked-out not too long ago and negotiated a contract largely not in their own favor, furthers the lunacy.

Doc knows deep down they shouldn't have played; you can see it on his face.  He holds his tongue for his players' sake, as a professional, but if he had absolute authority over what the team would do - they wouldn't be playing.

Meh, I'm done with it (at least this particular bout with racism).  Now 'scuse me while I go re-fill out some job applications.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #133 on: May 01, 2014, 04:19:44 PM

I'll agree with you on one point, the NBA players union is one of the worst in professional sports.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 01, 2014, 04:54:47 PM

I don't think we can assume the conversation was illegally recorded; per at least some writers, Sterling supposedly actually asked to have his conversations recorded because he was having trouble remembering things.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #135 on: May 02, 2014, 10:31:00 PM

Holy shit, Portland.

This first round has been great.

-Rasix
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 03, 2014, 03:16:11 PM

That's all I need is another reason to move to the Pacific NW.  Fuckers are good at everything these days... plus the min. wage is now higher.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 03, 2014, 11:00:41 PM

/knocks over gameboard

I hate Matt Barnes so much.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 04, 2014, 02:19:49 PM

However, this ought to be a fucking lesson to billionaire shitheads. Stop fucking gold digging bitches young enough to be your fucking granddaughter. Bitches be crazy. You never know what they are going to do and you won't always like it.  why so serious?

Then what's the point of being a billionaire shithead? The problem here wasn't the gold digger, it was the wife who went after her to try to get the money back and put her into revenge mode.  You can't sue the poor girl after she's had to deal with his wrinkly old man balls, i don't care how many millions she took him for, they were well earned.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #139 on: May 04, 2014, 06:19:21 PM

Apparently in California, you can sue the mistress?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 NBA  
Jump to: