Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:57:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  (Read 81964 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #105 on: January 22, 2014, 11:10:21 AM

Made my first attempt at Galactic Starfighter last night. Kinda thought I understood what I was doing.

At the end of the battle, I was credited with one hit. Not kill, hit.

Did a little better the second time.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 22, 2014, 11:19:41 AM

Sounds challenging.  Was it fun? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #107 on: January 22, 2014, 11:50:08 AM

Haven't jumped in the cockpit yet, but I did run my first FP since resubbing in November. Taking the Scoundrel a bit slower than my mad Assassin dash, about to outlevel the Esseles (sp? after all this time I dunno). The new intro quest guides you to join through the group finder. So I queued up as DPS, only waited about five minutes while I was questing. Popped in, one guy was a little slow, the tank was a little gungho but knew what he was about otherwise. Everyone waited for conversation without bitching. Nobody sucked. Straight playthrough then popped back to my questing area. Really smooth experience, I know it's the easy-peasy first FP but I've had some pretty awful groups back when it was 'stand around shouting for groups' the 'community builders' love.

I was thinking about that when I heard some tards bitching in General about the f2p scrubs, but populations are good and the actual jerkwads seems to sit around chatting in general. Per the thing in Useless News about the f2p revenue, I see a LOT of people in cartel gear. It's cool and all, but when you look at how much those packs cost!! Wow. (leaving aside my little mans hobby costs!)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: January 22, 2014, 11:52:59 AM

I think you can buy a lot of that cartel gear on the GTN for credits.  I used to browse a lot to see if I liked the look of any of it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #109 on: January 22, 2014, 11:54:32 AM

How I would recommend starting out:

- Pick only one character to focus on, or one on each side. Starfighter stuff is per-character, not legacy wide, so if you change characters you'd be starting from scratch with it. It does give XP, so you might want to pick someone who isn't max level, but for me I just went with the character I want to be known (AND FEARED) by name.

- Pick one of your two starting ships and sink all your resources into it for the first couple days, don't worry about saving fleet req as you want to get your ship improved fast enough to be competitive with the established people who already have a lot of unlocks. You are probably better off with the scout than the strike fighter when starting off. The rest of this advice will be about playing a scout.

- There are 2 kinds of requisition: ship req and fleet req. You get ship req for playing a given ship, for completing the daily (this gives 500 req to each ship you have unlocked) and for completing the weekly (750 2500 req to each ship you have unlocked.) Ship req can only be spent on the ship you earn it for. Fleet req can be spent on any ship, and is also what you use to unlock extra crew (more on that below.) You get fleet req by completing the intro quest (500 fleet req, one time only), doing the weekly (500 fleet req each time) and you get 1 point of fleet req for every 10 points of ship req you get just from playing. It piles up pretty slowly, so once you have one ship in good shape it's better to save it for unlocks. Also note you can spend cartel coins to convert ship req to fleet req so if you have coins lying around and a ship you hate playing, you can spend them to turn the stuff that piles up on the ship you don't like from the daily/weekly quests into fleet req that you can spend on other stuff.

- You have all your regular unlocked companions plus the 4 default ones for your side as crew options. They all give passive benefits based on their slot type and then you can pick one to be your co-pilot who gives you an active ability on a fairly long cooldown. One of the ones that will tempt you is one that repairs your hull, but I feel like that one's a bit of a trap on a scout (better on a strike fighter or gunship). Sensor range is really important on a scout, so you can spot gunships and go bother them, which is one of your two main roles as a scout (the other being capturing objectives.) Note that you can unlock crew members from other classes on your side (Republic/Imperial) if you like their stats+actives, I think it costs 1500 fleet req. I use Nadia as my co-pilot on a lot of my ships on my Jedi Knight, for example, because her combination of stats works well for my style.

- Personally the order I like to unlock things is: 1) buying different systems if I don't want the default ones (the defaults are all good on the starter scout for the most part), 2) getting the first tier of weapon upgrades, 3) maxing out all my secondary systems (they're cheaper and make a big difference), 4) then slowly maxing out all the primary systems. #4 will take a very long time as the top tier upgrades are very expensive, you could speed this up by spending coins but I don't think that's worth it really; once you're at the point where the upgrades are costing 10k+ your ship is already really good.

- As a noob scout, try to harrass gunships, shoot turrets, and hang around close to capture points. You'll die a lot, that's ok. You can make use of F3 to put all your power to engines and your starting system (engine pool regen, it should be on your 1 key) to basically burn all the way across the map without having to stop if you need to go from point A to point C for a defense or capture or w/e. Just make sure to hit F4 to put your power back to neutral when you get there.

- One note, the starting secondary weapon for the basic scout is not a lock on weapon - you just fire it off when you're in range and the target is in the inner circle of your reticle. Sometimes they miss, but you can spam them pretty fast. They're especially good when you're shooting a turret or a gunship that's zoomed in sniping at someone else. Once you start to survive for a long time in a scout you'll find yourself running out of them sometimes; you can only reload by suiciding right now; when they add bombers supposedly those will be able to drop some sort of ammo depot thing. You might want to consider using a companion in the offensive slot that increases secondary ammo capacity because of this.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:08:16 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: January 22, 2014, 12:00:36 PM

Haven't jumped in the cockpit yet, but I did run my first FP since resubbing in November. Taking the Scoundrel a bit slower than my mad Assassin dash, about to outlevel the Esseles (sp? after all this time I dunno). The new intro quest guides you to join through the group finder. So I queued up as DPS, only waited about five minutes while I was questing. Popped in, one guy was a little slow, the tank was a little gungho but knew what he was about otherwise. Everyone waited for conversation without bitching. Nobody sucked. Straight playthrough then popped back to my questing area. Really smooth experience, I know it's the easy-peasy first FP but I've had some pretty awful groups back when it was 'stand around shouting for groups' the 'community builders' love.

I was thinking about that when I heard some tards bitching in General about the f2p scrubs, but populations are good and the actual jerkwads seems to sit around chatting in general. Per the thing in Useless News about the f2p revenue, I see a LOT of people in cartel gear. It's cool and all, but when you look at how much those packs cost!! Wow. (leaving aside my little mans hobby costs!)

600 points a month (from sub + authenticator) is ~2 of those packs a month if you wait for sales. There are *definitely* people who sink a lot of real money into that stuff though. For me, almost all my dudes are dressed in Cartel pack gear at this point because I like their look, but I bought most of it at the GTN for credits (a few of them are in the sets that get sold outright on the cartel market rather than from packs - if you watch the market they put that stuff on sale for 75%-80% off for a day every so often so you can get a full suit for a few hundred coins.) I do buy packs occasionally with my points and then if I get a high ticket item, I GTN it then use it to buy one of the cheaper outfits with the credits I get back, etc.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 22, 2014, 12:08:19 PM

Oh, one other thing, since this isn't explained anywhere in game properly IIRC:

The 4 sensor-related stats and what they do:

sensor range: the radius around you that you can detect opposing ships (if it is, say, 15k, you can detect opposing ships in all directions 15k from you)
sensor focus: the distance in a cone in front of you that you can detect opposing ships, this starts from the edge of your regular sensor range and goes out from there (if your sensor range is 15k, and your focus range is 10k, you can detect opposing ships 25k away if they're in your focus cone)
communications range: the distance around you that you can pass the location of opposing ships to friendly ships (if it is 20k, all friendly ships within 20k of you can detect enemy ships that you can detect and vice versa - I think this can be chained together too)
sensor dampening: this reduces the distance that enemy ships can detect you from

Gunships like to pile on the sensor dampening, this is why it is important for scouts to have good range and/or focus, so they can find the gunships and zip over to stop them from sniping people.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #112 on: January 22, 2014, 01:40:31 PM

I'd recommend the hull repair active on anyone starting out while they get the hang of it, then branch out once you find yourself rarely using it. :P

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: January 22, 2014, 08:01:02 PM

Oh, one last pro-tip: check the GTN for the new premium gunship, it comes out of packs and I've seen it up for sub-100k prices. That's chump change and a lot easier to get than 5k fleet requisition to unlock the non premium version of it.

EDIT: Derp gunship not bomber, bombers come next month.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #114 on: January 22, 2014, 08:53:55 PM

Unfortunately that particular gunship also kinda sucks which is partly why it goes for cheap.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: January 24, 2014, 07:06:49 AM

Tried the event op with a pug last night...not a good idea. I learned about bolstering, though, as half the group was mid-30s. It really showed how gimped those levels are for a lot of the stuff you need to fight big stuff...but I also suspect they kinda sucked (it was a small guild and I hopped on TS with them). I'm kind of a newb about ops and a lot of the technical details of the game, but I'm pretty good at actually playing in those situations and I learn quickly.

Unfortunately, after 3 wipes a couple of us left and they gave up...but it killed the time I had available for the 4+ daily. It's going to be tight just getting 'Newcomer' if it's a single week event. That 2nd tier armor (the green glowy one) is never going to happen.

I find it interesting when I do pugs, there are a number of people who group regularly who are not really all that good, I think group play allows for a bit more leeway than soloing, especially when I have been regularly doing 2+ content with a questionably geared tank. Really have to be on point for that stuff.

Also, when I say wipe, I mean everyone but yours truly with Force Cloak. I used to do that a lot with feign death in EQ. I did go down once because I was apparently the only one handling the adds on the healers, no off-tank and I'm 53 taking on several 55 adds as a pure dps piece of paper. Ah, well. Mmo and whatnot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:10:45 AM by Sky »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 24, 2014, 01:01:18 PM

Weekly rep is capped anyway. This will be a recurring event like Bounty Week or the Gree thing, although I don't know on what schedule. So, no super big hurry to grind up as far as you can, IMO.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 24, 2014, 01:09:11 PM

Never is  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: January 27, 2014, 09:25:05 AM

Last night, log on to run event dailies. Last spot open for Op, what the hell why not. Larger op group this time. Go in while a couple stragglers straggle, start clearing out trash, dumbass straggler runs directly through the boss to the group, wipe. Spawn, take out the boss like clockwork, snag one of the token drop thingies and also hit Newcomer so I can buy stuffs. Nifty.

Went and played my Scoundrel, who is just too awesome a dude for words. I keep wanting him to say '60% of the time it works every time.' Anyway, guy calls for Heroic 4+ just as I nabbed the quest, what the hell why not. Only three in group, me same level one over one under. Gunslinger, Vanguard, my Scoundrel. Guy says fuck it lets three man it and charges in. My crappy basic scoundrel heal is enough for me to heal my first group quest :p Laughing, guy friends me as a healer (I'm dps spec not that that means much at 16 or w/e).

One thing that stuck out about SWTOR at launch that still holds true, I've grouped more and had consistently better group experiences in this game than all other mmo combined.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:57 PM

Finished off the consular story last night, so just IA to go for me. Consular has a really good last planet, but drags a fair amount before that I think. Male VA for the Consular is about a billion times better than female (maybe not a fair fight since it's Nolan North vs. a first-timer.)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:51 AM

So, Inquisitor companions (as a dps assassin). I finished Khem's story and wanted to have another companion along, preferably one who spoke Basic and I like the Xalek origin stuff. I know he's supposed to be a bit squishier but more dps than old Khem (who I used until I got Xalek), but he's been pretty squishy. Like on gold mobs he's probably going down every fight (thank god for force cloak). So when I tried the HK into quest and you get the Champ mob in Section X, I needed a random passerby to help out (and Xalek still went down)...and I dropped around 250k gearing up Khem on the GTN and he's back on duty. Kinda bums me out the choices for companion are so limited, I think the game could be so much better if you got to use the other companions for a change (and I probably could've geared Xalek but grrr bye Xalek).

I have taken to swapping in other companions for some dialogs when I know it won't drop into combat (mostly the healer guy in case I tank spec later).

Who do you guys like, have you leveled a dps assassin?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57:17 AM

It was a mistake to force roles onto the companions instead of letting you choose as was originally intended.

I used Ashara mainly, but I went the force lightning route instead of assassin.  Talos was relegated to the air-lock, and Andronikos was too squishy so I never tried him later.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 04, 2014, 09:00:56 AM

I almost went into the class kit for companions rant, but meh. One of the biggest mistakes they made, imo.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:11 AM

Talos (well, or Treek) are the most generically useful from a dicking around doing dailies standpoint for anyone who's not a healer themselves.

EDIT: Also once you get to the point where you've got hundreds of points of bonus presence from the human level 50 bonus and various companions maxed on different characters you can pretty much use anyone you want for stuff that isn't meant to be grouped for, assuming they're at least in appropriate greens.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:57:23 AM by Ingmar »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 04, 2014, 11:12:38 AM

I'd be surprised if Talos could heal enough for the more heroic stuff, especially champs, that I try to tackle. I only have cyborg and sith at 50, each with one companion, so only 20 presence from that. I did nab two of those relics from the last event that I think give a hundred or so presence with both equipped (40k for both, sure!).

I'm only starting to get basic equipment right now, along with about 2/3 of my mods I think Makeb purples. And I'm finally trying to gear up the companion a little better, Khem was always in leveling blues.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:01 AM

Well I routinely get through champs solo with my JK and Doc, but I'm tank specced. I am not sure if there's a reilable combination that makes a DPS spec able to solo champs at that level safely, but I'd be surprised if a geared up healer companion isn't the best choice.

Things that are non-inuitive that could help would be putting him in DPS mode and turning off his channeled CC ability.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 04, 2014, 11:36:28 AM

I'll give that a shot once I recoup some funds. It broke the bank setting Khem up again, I hadn't used him in a while.

Assassin is a fun class, though (I'm in deception spec). I hit Makeb, snuck through into what I guess was a heroic area, groups with silvers and golds. Stealth until I find a security chest. Even with 'dirtnap' Xalek, split up groups by abusing Force Cloak (bringing back memories of my EQ1 necro abusing feign death). Loot chest. Nobody was there so all the chests were up and I nabbed, I dunno 14k/chest plus a blue drop from each? So that was cool.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 04, 2014, 11:42:30 AM

Talos (well, or Treek) are the most generically useful from a dicking around doing dailies standpoint for anyone who's not a healer themselves.
Unfortunately I hate Talos with the passion of a thousand burning suns.  Even more so after Plot-Point.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 04, 2014, 11:54:15 AM

That's... weird. Are you sure you don't mean Quinn?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: February 04, 2014, 02:02:58 PM

Maybe.  They all blend together after so long gone.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 04, 2014, 02:36:05 PM

Talos is the friendly old archaeologist that hangs out with the SI. Quinn is the ass kissing lieutenant who hangs out with the SW.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #131 on: February 04, 2014, 05:06:56 PM

You must mean Quinn, Lantyssa, because Talos is a sweetie. He also doesn't have a Plot Point like Quinn does.

I find it a little funny that you tried a non-geared Xalek, decided he was too squishy, and then ... geared up Khem. I don't think Xalek has a self-heal like Khem does, though, which probably makes a huge difference. On the whole, I prefer Xalek, but my assassin is a tank and I have a bajillion presence (although most of my assassin's career was before that magnificent change), so even my half-assed geared companions are fine to run around with for most solo stuff. I usually run around with Talos, unless stuff is taking a long time to die (there's one fight on the latest planet that our shitty combined DPS was making me fail the fight), then I pull out Ashara.

Basically, if I'm a healer, I pull out whoever I feel like (although it's usually one of the DPS companions). If I'm anything else, I hang out with the healer, with one of my DPS companions ready for duty in case I need to burn something down faster.

The presence thing is great, but it's really skewed my perception.  I did start a smuggler on a different server fresh, though, so I am recalibrating a little bit. I actually have to pay attention to my companion's gear at least once a planet now, it's crazy.

God Save the Horn Players
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:52 PM

My Sorcerer vastly preferred Xalek over Khem, if only because I could easily grab cheapo Assassin tank tier sets and slap them on Xalek and have him be adequate.

My Assassin was a tank, though, and ran with nobody but HK from level 1 onward.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter  
Jump to: