Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  (Read 69739 times)
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: June 09, 2014, 10:54:25 PM

Basically, outside of Pittsburgh getting its shit together (and by firing Blysma.. they might be!) and Boston (and this could change with Chara showing his age) there aren't really any Eastern Conference teams that are likely to have a shot at winning the Cup barring the Western Conference team absolutely shitting the bed or suffering calamitous injuries. I just don't see any other Eastern team having a good enough team to do it. Comparatively, the West has a number of teams that either can, or are close (Chicago, L.A., St. Louis, San Jose, possibly Anaheim and Colorado).

Of course, this can always change in a cap world. L.A., for example, is likely going to be losing several players after they sweep the Rangers.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: June 10, 2014, 06:39:52 AM

The Kings have been hella lucky, in every round. Montreal would look a lot better in the SCF though, too bad the  Rags assassinated Price game 1 of the ECF.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: June 10, 2014, 10:19:15 AM

The Kings have been hella lucky, in every round. Montreal would look a lot better in the SCF though, too bad the  Rags assassinated Price game 1 of the ECF.

Eh, even the Habs admitted that was just an accident.

Have the Kings been lucky? Very. But luck is often manufactured, imo, and if not the Kings, then the Blackhawks would be there.. a team neither the Rags nor Canadians would have done well against.

This isn't like '06 where two teams got to the Final based on hot goalies and then one got taken out by how own team in a stupid move you're taught never to do, thus largely gifting the final to the worse team.

Yeah, I'm still bitter. Fucking useless defenseman Bergeron.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:02 AM

Actually I think both the Rags & Habs match up better against the Hawks. Their tight counter-attacking play is better against loose teams like the Hawks than big grinders like the Kings, but Montreal is better at dealing with grinders than the Rags, like how they served Boston.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #319 on: June 12, 2014, 10:32:15 PM

Montreal had neither the depth nor defensive stability to have a real shot.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: June 13, 2014, 06:54:09 AM

Montreal had depth, guys like Danny Briere on the 4th line, and a 2.29 GAA vs the Bruins which pretty solid defensively, before Price was taken out.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:25 PM

Well, better team won.

Gotta suck for Lundqvist though.

What he could do on an actual contender, though.. I shudder to think what he could do for a team like St. Louis.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #322 on: June 13, 2014, 09:38:49 PM

Was a matter of time on that win. The Kings looked better all series, especially in OT.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: June 14, 2014, 08:26:02 AM

knew it was over when nash shot at an open net but somehow managed to clip the shaft of voynov's stick
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: June 14, 2014, 11:04:52 AM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #325 on: June 15, 2014, 06:06:21 AM

Only if the Kings fail to show up - I'll go with Kings in 5.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: June 15, 2014, 06:33:03 AM

Well, obviously. Although I was one of the ones that called a Rangers win. Of course that was a Rangers win, specifically in game four. So I've got that going for me. But the series was closer than people are probably giving it credit for.

When it was 3-0 and people kept talking about the overtimes, I just kept saying "a sweep is a sweep". Well, a five game series is a five game series. But I still think it goes to show that if Boston or Pittsburgh had've gotten through that the East could have lifted the Cup. The Rangers aren't a great team, let's all be honest.

Basically, outside of Pittsburgh getting its shit together (and by firing Blysma.. they might be!)

No, there is a new god in Pittsburgh. Nepotism. That management team is about to become Carolina 2.0 ("now with more dudes fired because the Hurricanes sucked!"). I predict an epic death scene for this era's Penguins team over the next few seasons. There should be bad trades and bad drafting and a bad coach and a lot of trade demands resulting in more bad trades.

I hope I'm wrong. When you've got a team with the two best players in the world, a dynasty should ensue. And despite the haters, that'd be pretty cool. If you're going to have a dynasty wrecking the league, you want it like that. With the two best players in the world and a team running a high powered offense.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:35:51 AM by Azaroth »

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: June 15, 2014, 06:33:53 AM

I always hit quote instead of modify for some reason.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #328 on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:56 PM

Kesler to the Ducks for Bonino, Sbisa, and the 24th pick. Not sure what to think yet. We got younger?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #329 on: June 27, 2014, 12:43:29 PM

Kesler to the Ducks for Bonino, Sbisa, and the 24th pick. Not sure what to think yet. We got younger?

We got guaranteed a view from the bottom of the Pacific division for 4 years or so. Garrison is gone now too. Going to dump salary space on Ryan Miller I bet.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #330 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:32 PM

We already had Dave Pratt on the morning talk shows cheering for the McDavid Sweepstakes. Doesn't want us to get Miller because he might accidentally steal us a few games.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #331 on: June 27, 2014, 01:11:37 PM

It is going to suck to waste the last useful Sedin years, but overall it is probably for the best. Sounds like they flipped one of the Anaheim picks for Derek Dorsett, so they effectively got three NHLers for Kesler. Not too bad, but ugh. Why did it have to be Anaheim?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: June 27, 2014, 04:59:21 PM

It is going to suck to waste the last useful Sedin years, but overall it is probably for the best. Sounds like they flipped one of the Anaheim picks for Derek Dorsett, so they effectively got three NHLers for Kesler. Not too bad, but ugh. Why did it have to be Anaheim?

Because that's where Kesler wanted to go.  You don't have much of a choice when a star player with a no trade clause wants to leave.  You take what you can get, regardless if other teams offer more, as Calgary found out with Iginla.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: June 27, 2014, 05:01:09 PM

Ekblad goes #1 to Florida.  I'm sure the Panthers would have preferred to trade the pick but you can't go wrong with taking Ekblad, either.  Win-Win either way IMO.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: June 27, 2014, 08:00:03 PM

Well, the draft went pretty much as expected.  No real surprises except for maybe Anthony Deangelo going in the top 20.  Really poor character to say the least but he is 18 so maybe he has time to unfuck himself.

I'm ok with Vancouver's first pick but would have preferred Nick Ritchie.  Virtanen is a good physical player but his hockey IQ is average.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:08:37 PM by Ginaz »
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: June 28, 2014, 07:37:02 AM

A lot of people are surprised the Habs got this Russian kid Nikita Scherbak ‎at 26. A lot of people had him in 10-15 range. I guess the Russian factor, but hey he's playing in the WHL now, and speaks solid English, doesn't seem like the moody Ruskie type.
WayAbvPar

Reply #336 on: June 28, 2014, 09:13:11 AM

Because that's where Kesler wanted to go.  You don't have much of a choice when a star player with a no trade clause wants to leave.  You take what you can get, regardless if other teams offer more, as Calgary found out with Iginla.

Oh I know why. But WHY?? I fucking hate Anaheim, and him helping drub the Canucks for the next 3 or 4 years is going to blow.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: June 28, 2014, 01:44:10 PM

Oh I know why. But WHY?? I fucking hate Anaheim, and him helping drub the Canucks for the next 3 or 4 years is going to blow.

Only if he stays healthy.  He's by far the best player in that deal but he's been a broken down wreck the past few years.  That's probably only going to get worse as he gets older.  If Kesler can average 65+ games a year for the Ducks, then they will win this trade handily.  If they only get 40 games out of him, then Vancouver wins.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: June 29, 2014, 08:53:55 AM

Heart Anaheim, second favourite team
WayAbvPar

Reply #339 on: June 29, 2014, 02:46:44 PM

Heart Anaheim, second favourite team

That is like saying  Heart syphilis, 2nd worst STD.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45:58 PM

Corey Perry is a hero, I'm pretty gay for him to be honest.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: June 29, 2014, 08:29:16 PM

Corey Perry is a hero, I'm pretty gay for him to be honest.

Corey Perry is a physically larger, more talented Brad Marchant.  Translation: he's a giant douche.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: July 01, 2014, 01:34:33 PM

Well, free agency started today.  I like Vancouver signing Ryan Miller.  They had Lack and Markstrom coming into the season and neither one of those guys is a starter at this point.  Miller's cap hit is fairly reasonable at $6 million but even better is the length of the deal is only 3 years.  Calgary made a few nice deals, too, esp. with Hiller in goal.  When you're doing a rebuild like the Flames are, you need to make your young players believe they can win every night and having a veteran goalie like Hiller helps with that.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:05 PM

Miller is, imo, fairly over-rated. He's an average NHL starting goalie and that's all. That said, he was a good signing by Vancouver, but the dollars aren't justified.

Dallas just continues to improve. Nill is showing how to get it done.

Caps are bat-shit crazy.

I liked what the Oilers did, though I'd have liked the Pouliot deal to have fewer years.

Hiller in Calgary was good, but damn.. the money paid to Engelland is insane. I know the have cap space to spare and then some... but damn. The Oiler's face puncher can sorta pretend to play hockey and only got 800k.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: July 02, 2014, 12:26:55 AM

Miller is, imo, fairly over-rated. He's an average NHL starting goalie and that's all. That said, he was a good signing by Vancouver, but the dollars aren't justified.

Dallas just continues to improve. Nill is showing how to get it done.

Caps are bat-shit crazy.

I liked what the Oilers did, though I'd have liked the Pouliot deal to have fewer years.

Hiller in Calgary was good, but damn.. the money paid to Engelland is insane. I know the have cap space to spare and then some... but damn. The Oiler's face puncher can sorta pretend to play hockey and only got 800k.

A lot of guys got overpaid but the length of the deals are generally pretty team friendly.  I like what the Oilers have done, too.  They finally have some grit and sandpaper as they've been WAY too easy to play against the past few years.  As for Miller in Vancouver...he was the best option they had.  There's no way they go into next season with Lack and Markstrom as the #1 and #2 goalies.  Maybe starting the season on a team that isn't dog shit and not having to worry about being traded will do him good.  As for Calgary, some nice signings but Engelland was overpaid (short term deal though).  Apparently, Brian Burke has always had a minor hard on for this guy so that probably factors into it quite a bit.  As for the Caps...I get the Matt Niskanen deal.  He's the best free agent D man available and he's only 27.  If the Caps didn't pay him big money someone else was guaranteed to do it.  However...Brooks Orpik getting $5.5 million a year?  For 5 years?  WTF? Facepalm  Who the hell pays a slow, 33 year old defensive defenseman $27.5 million over 5 years???  I guess the Washington Capitols do. Ohhhhh, I see.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: July 02, 2014, 06:22:40 AM

I have seen a lot of Miller in the NE division, he is pretty solid, I don't think he's overrated at all.
WayAbvPar

Reply #346 on: July 02, 2014, 09:04:26 AM

Quote from: Ginaz
Maybe starting the season on a team that isn't dog shit and not having to worry about being traded will do him good

They may not be Buffalo bad, but the Canucks are fucking terrible. Like 20-25 wins terrible. Their division is fucking loaded, their best player fucked off to Anaheim, and the Sedins are a year older. Gonna be a long season.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: July 02, 2014, 09:37:18 AM

Quote from: Ginaz
Maybe starting the season on a team that isn't dog shit and not having to worry about being traded will do him good

They may not be Buffalo bad, but the Canucks are fucking terrible. Like 20-25 wins terrible. Their division is fucking loaded, their best player fucked off to Anaheim, and the Sedins are a year older. Gonna be a long season.

I don't think the Canucks are going to make the playoffs, but they're not going to be as bad as Buffalo was.  Not having Torts as head coach might reinvigorate the players left from last year.  They actually got a pretty decent return for Kesler, with Bonino and Sbisa being solid players but esp. getting the first round draft pick as well.  Bo Horvat looks like he might be ready to make the team and possibly become a poor man's Kesler, being a good 2 way centre.  Its going to be rough in Vancouver this year but I already like the moves being made by the new management.  They've made some good trades, signed Miller and had a nice draft.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: July 06, 2014, 04:14:47 PM

If you don't sign Miller, all you have are the Sedins. Why don't you trade them to a bad team for a first rounder+ and then tank.

When you know you're going to have to rebuild sooner rather than later (hell, it could be NEXT SUMMER), do it when there's a generational talent in the draft. Be Pittsburgh or Chicago, not Edmonton.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: July 06, 2014, 09:17:04 PM

If you don't sign Miller, all you have are the Sedins. Why don't you trade them to a bad team for a first rounder+ and then tank.

When you know you're going to have to rebuild sooner rather than later (hell, it could be NEXT SUMMER), do it when there's a generational talent in the draft. Be Pittsburgh or Chicago, not Edmonton.

The Sedins are a package deal and they both have a no trade clause.  When they're both getting $6 miilion a year, what team has the cap space to take the Sedins AND would be a place they would waive their no trade to go to?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  
Jump to: