Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:11:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  (Read 69735 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #280 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:21 PM

They're a more-recent example of building a team through careful development of prospects and maybe some trades - I don't recall them making any huge splashes in the UFA market to get to where they are.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WayAbvPar

Reply #281 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:35 PM

I for one am SHOCKED that an Alain Vigneault team can't score in the playoffs.  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: May 09, 2014, 10:11:03 AM

Meanwhile in the land of eternal sadness: MAPLE LEAFS EXTEND CARLYLE'S CONTRACT, FIRE ASSISTANTS  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: May 09, 2014, 10:18:28 AM

Hilarious. Thank god for teams like Toronto and the Islanders; they keep the Oilers from being the worst run team in the NHL.

In other news... Canada lost to France at the World Cup tournament. Sure, it's our D team.. but still. They should still do well given that they still have more NHLers there than most (all?) teams. Yet they lost to France for only the second time. Also hilarious.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: May 09, 2014, 10:24:19 AM

Eh, anyone can get beat.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: May 09, 2014, 11:42:10 AM

its just a vacation for these guys, to fuck around europe after a long season
WayAbvPar

Reply #286 on: May 09, 2014, 12:17:32 PM

Meanwhile in the land of eternal sadness: MAPLE LEAFS EXTEND CARLYLE'S CONTRACT, FIRE ASSISTANTS  Ohhhhh, I see.

This is just ridiculous. I feel for the fans, since I root for a baseball team that is run just as poorly (or worse).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos

Reply #287 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50:49 PM

Eh, anyone can get beat.

Yeah, but that only holds up to a point - French professional hockey is NOT GOOD.

It's at LEAST a step or two below NCAA.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: May 09, 2014, 05:36:48 PM

Neither is the team we sent to this thing.  why so serious?

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: May 09, 2014, 06:24:50 PM

Like I said, we sent our D team (maybe E team, honestly, I mean we sent guys like Chimera), but they should still run circles around a team like France. They have one NHLer and another guy who's struggled to crack the NHL with Ottawa. France getting two goals was okay (especially since one could be described as a bad goal by Reimer).. but the lack of scoring from Canada (only 36 shots, opposed to 29 against) against France (not a great defensive team even on their best day.. and their goalie is not the reason, although he played well) was atrocious.

Sure, Canada's coaching is getting blame for the shoot-out (Turris, Monahan, Read and not, say... Mackinnon) but they went with the guys with the better shootout records in the NHL. Although, I would say Tippet is generally over-rated as a coach, especially when it comes to skilled forwards.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: May 09, 2014, 07:29:04 PM

Reimer was playing goal? Well there's your problem right there!

NHL Fan Rule #1: Never, ever, pass up an opportunity to shit on the Leafs.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: May 13, 2014, 09:58:16 AM

Habs looked great last night. Flying out there, forchecking aggressively, even hitting Boston pretty consistently. So far momentum carrying over hasn't been a huge factor in the series but I would have assume Boston is going into game 7 a bit rattled:

-They have not been able to gain much leverage with physical play. The hitting has been about equal, and the post-whistle scrum stuff isn't doing much. Montreal didn't seem worse for wear last night.
-Their confidence in Tuuka has to be shaken. Outplayed most of the series, bad game last night, while Price is a wall.
-Their defensive cornerstone, Chara, looked brutal last night too.

The Habs are just better at converting chances, while Boston has been poor. That killer instinct is very important. If the Canadiens can repeat their aggressive play from last night. Along with the forchecking, great aggressive D pinching in the 1st, they had trouble in the 2nd with the long change, but got back on pace in the 3rd, and Price continues to stop everything he sees, and even a lot of stuff he doesn't, I give them the edge. The Bruin's best hope is that Bergeron has a heroic game, and he has had PLENTY against the Habs so I would not bet against that either.

Tougher to call on the Rags vs Pens. Gotta go with the hot goalie instead of the waffle that is Fleury.

Ducks look pretty hot. Getzlaf is unbelievable. I have never seen him outmatched once in the playoffs, and the Ducks have a very good young crew filling out the roster.

Can't say I've watched the Wild vs Hawks much. Just can't stand the Wild, always free tickets for them floating around the office when they are in town here so I go, and it's always a boring game. I understand they are playing a much speedier game this season, but still kind of conservative, and there's just this ugly ghost of Jacques Lemaire haunting them in my mind.
WayAbvPar

Reply #292 on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:31 AM

The Wild play an unwatchable brand of garbage grind hockey. They are better now than in the past, but still dull as shit.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: May 14, 2014, 06:51:30 PM

Eat a dick Boston! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
WayAbvPar

Reply #294 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:53 PM

Belasco
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: May 14, 2014, 09:26:12 PM

http://deadspin.com/milan-lucic-gets-heated-in-the-handshake-line-after-gam-1576694532/all

Lucic keeping it classy in the loss. Guess he's mad the Canadiens decided it was more important to score goals than get physical in game 7.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: May 14, 2014, 09:26:58 PM

I was hoping Boston would win, but.. oh well. I figured if there was a team in the East that could bounce Boston from the playoffs it would be Montreal. Still, disappointed. Montreal stands a good chance of besting the Rangers, as well, depending on the kind of series Lundqvist has. Hoping the Kings manage to oust the Ducks after surviving tonight. Honestly, however, I really think its Chicago's Cup to lose, and the main cause for that would be phenomenal goal-tending.

On the positive side... the Penguins. Actually starting to see conversations in the main stream media about how while Crosby may be the best regular season player in the league.. he's got question marks around him come playoff time nowadays. Of course, most of these conversations slide into the standard rhetoric that there can't really be anything wrong with him because he's a good Canadian kid and that if any player takes the fall in Pittsburgh it'll be Malkin because, well, he's got the same problems as Crosby but is Russian and fuck them. Okay, so they aren't that blunt about it, but that's the tone.

It couldn't be issues with coaching, line-mates, goal-tending, and on defense. Then again.. this is the same media that believes Kunitz is the best Canadian LWer in the game (and some argue he's one of the better LWers period which is just Fox News level stupid).
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: May 14, 2014, 11:26:29 PM

http://deadspin.com/milan-lucic-gets-heated-in-the-handshake-line-after-gam-1576694532/all

Lucic keeping it classy in the loss. Guess he's mad the Canadiens decided it was more important to score goals than get physical in game 7.

Boston is a team full of whiny shit weasels, starting with Lucic and followed closely by Marchand. 

Iginla is a good guy, though.  Its a shame it looks like he won't ever win a cup.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: May 15, 2014, 03:45:41 AM

The one silver lining is that 3 years later we still are all up in Vancouver fans heads.

Whine on Ginaz, whine on. :)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #299 on: May 15, 2014, 06:44:54 AM

Nah, Iginla can just get traded to Chicago next year and hang out with Hossa.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #300 on: May 15, 2014, 08:08:57 AM

The Jerome Iginla pre-retirement, cup-contender tour? Honestly though, he's a tough guy to hate, even by a Flames hating someone like me that is still bitter over Otto kicking the puck in in 1989.

As for Boston, and us Canuck fans not letting it go - yup, pretty much going to be in my head forever. Where were the refs in last night's game three years ago?

And MarSHAND is still a shitweasel.

Go Habs!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #301 on: May 15, 2014, 09:19:53 AM

Fuck Boston. Classless top to bottom. Sorry it took the rest of the world so long to catch up to their bullshit.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #302 on: May 15, 2014, 10:28:59 AM

America has known forever that Boston is classless.

We just didn't mind when they fucked up the Canucks because the Canucks are not at all beloved, play dirty (as in bending the rules or against the spirit of the rules, not thuggish ala Boston), whine as much as anyone, dive as much as anyone and just generally fuck them for good measure.

So yeah. Fuck both those organizations and double fuck Boston sports fans while I'm at it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: May 15, 2014, 10:32:47 AM

I'm just going to be sad when Montreal wins the cup AGAIN, just another layer of misery in sadness central.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: May 15, 2014, 02:24:42 PM

The one silver lining is that 3 years later we still are all up in Vancouver fans heads.

Whine on Ginaz, whine on. :)

At least I can say I'm not from Boston. awesome, for real Beantown has been the city of whiny bitches since the Boston Tea Party.  And people think Vancouver (never lived there fyi) is full of crybabies. Ohhhhh, I see.

Tell me, do you like apples? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fuck Boston.  Go Habs!
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:00 PM

I'm just going to be sad when Montreal wins the cup AGAIN, just another layer of misery in sadness central.

I'd rather Montreal win the Stanley Cup from now until the end of time than see Toronto win it once.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #306 on: May 15, 2014, 08:15:48 PM

This is silly, let's just give it to Phoenix.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: May 16, 2014, 08:44:11 AM

Rangers and Habs built so similar it's strange, there's really no match up advantage.

Both have hot goalies who are stopping everything they see, and then some. Habs have slightly more talent, especially on D, the Rangers have more size, but we're talking marginal differences. Neither team puts much emphasis on physical intimidation.

Both like to collapse in their zone and try to contain the opposition on the perimeter. I think the Habs have an advantage here because they do really well if teams leave them be out there, Markov, Subban, Pacioretty feast if unchallenged in the offensive zone. If they get punished by this, the Rangers will have to adapt be more aggressive than they are used to which could also produce problems.

Again tho that all that is pretty marginal, but might produce a few critical goals. The series will really come to mental resiliency, focus and fortitude. The Rangers have some great leaders in Richards & St. Louis, but the Habs also have proven to hold up great against all the crap the Bruins tried to throw at them, this is not the same Habs team that fell apart against the Senators last year. The Habs have mostly played with leads though, obviously that's ideal for any team, butthey still remain untested having to face deficits so that might be something to watch.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: May 16, 2014, 05:43:40 PM

Jesus, Milan Lucic is a dumb fuck.  He's complaining Weise broke the "hockey code" by telling people what was said in the handshake line "What's said on the ice stays on the ice, and unfortunately that code is broken,".  Hey, moron, you broke "the code" too by acting like a goon in the God damn handshake line.  You, know, the handshake line?  Where players on both sides are supposed to be professionals and display some honour and respect for their opponents?  A tradition that separates hockey from every other sport?  But hey, Lucic is just an emotional guy and wants to win, so that excuses it all. Ohhhhh, I see.  You didn't see Iginla, Chara, Bergeron, Thornton or even that weasel Marchand do that, or for that matter, Subban from Montreal, either.  You'd never see Gretzky, Lemieux, Sakic, Howe or the best Bruins player ever, Bobby Orr, do something like that.  If he didn't want to shake hands and was "too emotional", maybe he should have done what Billy Smith did when the Islanders lost to the Oilers in the cup finals and skipped the handshakes altogether.  Lucic should be more angry with himself for playing like shit throughout the series than at any Habs player.  Go pound your chest some more after scoring an empty net goal.  Grow up, you fucking man child.  

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/milan-lucic-not-sorry-for-comments-in-handshake-line-1.2645770
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:50:30 PM by Ginaz »
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: May 17, 2014, 12:42:08 AM

Technically Weise did break the "code". It does exist.. and yes, he broke it. He'll also likely face some repercussions for it; mainly in the form of other players ribbing him and/or mocking/deriding him during games.

Lucic is, of course, an asshole regardless... and will face no on-ice repercussions.

Ah, hockey.

Also; Ducks fail; shocking. Glad to see them out, even if it means the biggest diver in the game advances. At this point all I can do is hope Chicago wins it all (and they should, barring hot goaltending) because all the other options suck (though Lundqvist deserves a Cup -- he's the main reason the Rangers haven't been a black-hole of suck for large chunks of his time there).
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: May 18, 2014, 03:02:18 PM

It looks like Alex Ovechkin might have a sustained serious leg injury during the World Hockey Championship.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/alex-ovechkin-hospitalized-after-injury-at-hockey-worlds-1.2646977
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: May 22, 2014, 07:39:47 AM

Holy hell, what a collapse by the Blackhawks in the third period last night.  We flipped away during the intermission to watch something else with the score 2-1 Hawks and came back about halfway through the third with the score 6-2 LA.  WTF?

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: May 30, 2014, 11:54:07 PM

westr conf overrated. rags win cup
Strazos

Reply #313 on: June 03, 2014, 03:17:29 PM

Only if the Kings fail to show up - I'll go with Kings in 5.

Fear the Backstab!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #314 on: June 09, 2014, 10:30:17 PM

westr conf overrated. rags win cup

awesome, for real

Not shocking at all to see you completely wrong about something.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  
Jump to: