Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  (Read 70481 times)
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: April 09, 2014, 09:46:20 AM

If you want up tempo, it's my guess that you'll not have to wait long to get your hands on Dan Bylsma.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:36 AM

Like-wise, I'm hoping Carlyle survives as coach for the Leafs because, well, it'd be awesome for every non-Leaf fan.

I've quite enjoyed his recent pressers where he throws his arms up in the air and declares he doesn't know what's going on with the team.

Probably not the best thing for a well compensated pro coach to admit.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: April 09, 2014, 11:07:11 AM

There all going to be gone, since they can't fire the players.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #213 on: April 09, 2014, 12:58:06 PM

Wait, what's that about Bylsma?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #214 on: April 09, 2014, 01:16:41 PM

Part of me feels bad for Gillis, because he actually did some really good things for the team. He focused on the little things - travel, schedule, nutrition, psychology - organizational things that really needed changing with this team. They honestly are a much better run team than they were before he came. His problem was in the hockey moves. He made a few good moves in free agent signings, but most of his trades never worked out, and his drafting record was atrocious. Rumour is that he was never on board with the Torts hiring, that it was the owner's decision. If so, Aqualini will have no one to blame but himself when he's paying millions in buyouts to clean house.

The current rumour and big hope around town is that Bob Nicholson wants a new job. And... forget that, I just checked the news and they hired Trevor Linden to run the team. That was the other big rumour floating.

Interesting move - huge on the PR front because Linden is literally worshipped around here. He has no experience in this role, but this will definitely appease the fan base for a while - Linden's a guy we'll give a long rope to. 

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: April 09, 2014, 01:59:56 PM

Linden is the president, not the GM (unless those reports changed). He's there to bring some gravitas, and hockey cred to the org. They still need to hire someone else as GM to manage the roster, trades, scouting, etc.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: April 09, 2014, 02:45:35 PM

Linden was brought in as President, not GM. Most likely he'll select a GM shortly after the playoffs are over who will, I'd wager, have to deal with Torts for at least one year, after which if its not working out for the GM or Torts still remains stuck in the older Eastern Conference line of playing hockey (which doesn't work out West at all, and least of all with the team he had -- imo, Sedins and Torts was a match that was never going to end well) he'll get relieved of his duties and they'll bring in a new coach. Given how Torts was likely brought in by the owners I doubt he'll be let go for this season which, even with the many things Torts fucked up, was not exactly a surprise to see him struggle with given the team he had.

I'm hoping the Feaster rumour is true (but I doubt it is) simply because he'll make Gillis look fairly good. That said, the Linden thing also has the potential for disaster. He's not proven in any regard at running a team. His hiring was, at least in part, for the sheer PR aspect of appeasing the fan base which had started to bail pretty quick after a single season of shit and ineptitude. To be honest, I've never understood why Linden was so beloved in Vancouver; he only had a couple good seasons and nothing spectacular (his best season there was 80 points -- good enough for 35th int he league -- with a still-great Mogilny on Vancouver). I mean, granted, I'm an Oiler fan so the production of a Linden is somewhat tame to even the B-listers we've seen in our time (such as Doug Weight), so I'm not surprised it baffles me. Anyone able to explain to me why Vancouver holds him in such regard? Community work?

Still, he may work out very well, but only time will tell (though his choice of a GM will be very telling as to whether things will go well).

Edit: And the talk of the MLSE CEO reaching out to Shanahan is very interesting as well. Could be the prelude to a ton of changes there.. which would be disappointing. As an Oiler fan I have to derive my entertainment from somewhere and the Canuck/Leaf trainwrecks have been a much needed source since I surely am not getting it from the Oilers.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:52:02 PM by Ceryse »
WayAbvPar

Reply #217 on: April 09, 2014, 03:02:10 PM

I don't live in Vancouver or consume their local media often, but I follow the team fairly closely. Linden has always been a class act, and kept to the high road even when the team did shitty things like allow Mike Keenan to trade him away, hiring Gillis (who I believe he was at odds with when he was head of NHLPA in one of the lockouts), etc. He is very active in charity and community work, and even was a co-MC for the big charity drive for Canucks Place (I think it was) that the does annually and folds into the SportsNet broadcast.

Basically he is a Boy Scout who reminds long time fans of one of their glory runs and thus can do no wrong. If you are familiar with Seattle Mariners baseball, he is analogous to Edgar Martinez- loyal to the team, borderline HOF numbers (probably moreso for Edgar than Linden), and a upstanding citizen. I think his time in the NHLPA and as a business owner/operator since his retirement will help him, and he seems to be smart enough to surround himself with experts who can advise him. The fanbase will give him a LOT of rope, which is all Aquilini wanted at this point (he is trying to sell season tickets RIGHT NOW).

I am not overly optimistic, but it isn't the worst thing in the world. Unless he hires Jay fucking Feaster as the GM. Please god no.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: April 09, 2014, 03:14:06 PM

Interesting, thanks. I just really never 'got' the attitude towards Linden from Vancouver. Made no sense to me given his on-ice contributions were never anything spectacular (good, and he did more than just get points). A lot of the Linden-love-fest is a joke around here in Alberta so I just never heard an explanation for it and thought there would be more to it than community work and being a class act.

If I were a Canuck fan.. I'd probably be optimistic about him being brought in if only because its a clear departure from the Gillis-type of operation. I do hope he brings in Feaster, though. Seriously.. Canucks would become the joke of the league if that happened and it would be glorious!

Your baseball analogy didn't help, though, sadly. I've watched maybe 16 or so games of MLB.. and most of those were back in the Blue Jays two pennants days when I watched the World Series just because I liked Joe Carter. Generally can't stand watching baseball (its like watching paint dry.. almost as bad as golf, although at least baseball is fun to play whereas golf is just, imo, dumb).
WayAbvPar

Reply #219 on: April 09, 2014, 03:27:06 PM

Basically the Mariners came out of no where in 1995 to win make the playoffs, then beat the Yankee team that would go one to win a bunch of World Series in subsequent seasons in the first round. Anyone even remotely involved in the 95 team is worshipped like a deity, just like anyone involved in the Canucks 1994 SCF run.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #220 on: April 09, 2014, 03:58:54 PM

WAP has it right, its mostly his off ice persona that the city loves him for. The city has always loved players that put everything in to the game, and that was Linden in a nutshell. Rarely the most talented guy on the ice, but always the hardest working. Same reason the city loved Smyl back in the 80s.

We loved players like Bure for their sheer talent and excitement, but if you ask a long time Canuck fan who the most popular players have been, you'll get a list of guys like Smyl, Linden, Snepts, Odjick, Malhotra, and Bieksa.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: April 11, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

So This is a thing : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448947

Shanahan save us?

undecided

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: April 11, 2014, 07:40:17 AM

This is still just kind of a glamour job. The real meat & potatoes is the GM position. You would want to hope Shanahan or Linden (or Aquilani) don't start jerking around the GM about draft picks, trades, etc.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: April 11, 2014, 09:33:00 AM

To be fair, the "real meat & potatoes" position varies from team to team. On some teams it is the GM, on others its actually the President of Hockey Ops and the GM is little more than an assistant GM in reality. From team to team it differs whether its the President who conducts trades or deals with the more business side of the team. You can't simply just paint one of the two as the more important role.. because it varies from team to team. That said, I agree bringing in Shanny is largely a PR job similar to that of Linden in Vancouver (albeit a far less effective one) unless the teams are going to have a President who acts more like a senior GM.. in which case the impact they can have on a team is massive.

In other news... Ryan Smyth retiring. Ugh. Heart and soul guy who never phoned in a game and did whatever was asked of him. His time in Edmonton marred only by when he was let go over a "mere" $125k difference in salary. Not the most skilled player.. but he definitely got his points (he's a goal away from having the powerplay goals record for the Oilers.. and considering the talent we've seen.. that's nothing to sneeze at, even if it took him waaaaay more games than the others). Guy deserved a cup ('06 still haunts Edmonton) and will never get one.

Of course, in two or three years he'll be back as a coach or something, because, y'know, Oilers. Hell, I wouldn't be overly shocked if he was brought on as an assistant this off-season given that Buchberger and Steve Smith are likely to be let go (about time..). Wouldn't be an overly smart decision unless Smyth can surprise in an assistant coaching role, but this is the Oilers.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: April 11, 2014, 10:03:43 AM

After seeing Mario Tremblay and Guy Carbonneau flame out here (also examples like Gretz), I am not a fan of seeing players brought in as coaches right at the NHL level. They should start at a lower level and show they are serious about it(neither of those two kept coaching after they got axed). Their names and playing pedigree will carry them up the ranks faster than other guys if they are good at it anyway, such as Kirk Muller or Patrick Roy.

If Smyth wants to coach he should start at in Major Junior or CIS.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: April 13, 2014, 12:39:19 PM

So.. Smyth's retirement game was interesting. Was interesting to see the juxtaposition even within the Canucks team; some of them were very classy.. several others far, far less so. Though, the Canucks did their best to give Smytty the shot at the powerplay goals record for the Oilers.. it was not to be. Eberle's "fuck" comment after watching the replay that his shot didn't hit Smytty and go in was hilarious. Schultz was a dick, trying to score for himself instead of helping Smytty out (granted, Schultz had a 2 million dollar bonus on the line.. and didn't get it). His epic shift on the powerplay was a nice touch -- he looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

Was sad to see Smytty retire. Under-rated player, imo. Hell, if his Oiler career was with the Canucks he'd be the franchise leader in goals and a number of other categories. He won everything but a Cup.. very unfortunate -- he's unlikely to ever have his number retired in Edmonton, as he's not a good shot at the HHOF (despite the fact they let in a number of people who have no business being in there) due to never winning the Cup.

Also, was interesting to see Linden already not understand basic statistics (no difference in shot blocking between Torts' and Vignault? Really?).

Game cost the Oilers a draft position, but it was worth it to beat the Canucks. Wish I'd seen fewer grown men crying last night, though.. that was a bit annoying.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #226 on: April 14, 2014, 12:25:56 PM

May be old, but here's 14 minutes of pissed off goalies.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:05 PM

Interesting, thanks. I just really never 'got' the attitude towards Linden from Vancouver. Made no sense to me given his on-ice contributions were never anything spectacular (good, and he did more than just get points). A lot of the Linden-love-fest is a joke around here in Alberta so I just never heard an explanation for it and thought there would be more to it than community work and being a class act.

If I were a Canuck fan.. I'd probably be optimistic about him being brought in if only because its a clear departure from the Gillis-type of operation. I do hope he brings in Feaster, though. Seriously.. Canucks would become the joke of the league if that happened and it would be glorious!

Your baseball analogy didn't help, though, sadly. I've watched maybe 16 or so games of MLB.. and most of those were back in the Blue Jays two pennants days when I watched the World Series just because I liked Joe Carter. Generally can't stand watching baseball (its like watching paint dry.. almost as bad as golf, although at least baseball is fun to play whereas golf is just, imo, dumb).

Linden is kind of like the Ryan Smyth of Vancouver.  Decent skills, worked hard, loved playing for the team, fans loved him back.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: April 18, 2014, 05:47:56 PM

Linden is kind of like the Ryan Smyth of Vancouver.  Decent skills, worked hard, loved playing for the team, fans loved him back.

I guess that kind of makes sense (although, Smyth was the better player between the two, imo, especially given when they played). Smyth was highly regarded here due to his blue collar work ethic, tendency to play through injury/pain, ability to play up and down the line up, and his sheer ability to drive goaltenders absolutely insane. Still, you just don't see the same degree of emotional attachment to the player as you see with Linden in Vancouver. There's a lot of respect and fondness for Smyth, but a number of Canuck fans almost seem to deify Linden (and to a slightly less extent a couple other players). Oiler fans don't even hold Gretzky, Messier, Kurri or others from the glory days in the same regard as Canuck fans do with Linden. Not even Lowe before he became Six Rings, and he was the longest serving Oiler, first ever draft pick, celebrated winner, blue collar-type play-style and everything.

Probably ties in with the Canucks never having clinched the deal with the Cup, I wager, and focusing on players like Linden who almost took them there.

In other news... the playoffs. Already looking retarded with the reffing and I'm thankful there are no real teams I 'enjoy' in the playoffs this year. Hopefully Colorado comes down to earth (most over-rated team, imo, similar to Toronto last year in a lot of ways, albeit a better team fundamentally, they are still relying on goaltending and unsustainable shooting percentages to overcome horrific underlying stats), Anaheim and San Jose are prickish teams I enjoy seeing lose, as well. Additionally, hoping the Penguins flame out (fuck Crosby.. may be the best player but I dislike him) along with Montreal. Would also enjoy seeing Marty St. Louis get his just desserts and sent packing. And finally, Boston can't win because I don't want to see Iginla win the Cup because, well, once a Flame Icon, always a Flame Icon.. and fuck the Flames.

So I'm more cheering against most teams than for anyone.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #229 on: April 18, 2014, 07:12:44 PM

Lol you fucking Canadians have such horrible taste in damn near everything. Hating on St. Louis and Iginla? The Sharks and Ducks are prick teams? Fuck young exciting teams like Colorado I hate those guys too.   

I mean just what the fuck exactly.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: April 18, 2014, 07:44:09 PM

Lol you fucking Canadians have such horrible taste in damn near everything. Hating on St. Louis and Iginla? The Sharks and Ducks are prick teams? Fuck young exciting teams like Colorado I hate those guys too.   

I mean just what the fuck exactly.

Well, to break it down..

I can't cheer for Iginla because he was 'the' Flame, and I'm an Oiler fan in Edmonton. He's a great guy, good player.. but I just can't cheer for the guy who, objectively, really deserves a solid run at the Cup.

Martin St. Louis is the only reason I can't cheer for the Rangers (not that I would, as I just don't care one way or another about the Rangers) because he's a self important hypocrite. Tremendously talented and I usually love smaller players who prove what they can do in a league so over-come by the 'you must be big to succeed!' mentality. Used to be a fan of his, even. But, his attitude and various comments slagging on Oilers and others? Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

Sharks aren't a huge prick team.. but they do a lot of borderline crap. Mainly I can't cheer for them because there's no point; they choke every god damn year and I get enough failure being an Oiler fan.

Ducks? Prick team. If they think they can get away with a minor (and sometimes not-so minor) dirty play, they will try it; Getzlaf and Perry especially. I respect their ability, but I can never cheer for those two, and they are hardly the only players on that team I dislike. Plus there's lingering animosity from the Burke-era when I had issue after issue with that team (some of it shit I had to deal with back when I worked security for a hotel visiting players almost always were booked into).

Colorado; Patrick Roy. I cannot and will not ever cheer for a team he is part of, in any capacity. The man is a Grade A asshole and a pretentious, self-indulgent prat who deserves any and all shit heaped upon him. I say this as someone who's met the man on several occasions. Throw in the minor rivalry that grew between the Oilers and Av's from sharing the same division.. and fuck 'em. Besides, they're similar to the Oilers in style (get out-worked, out-played) except they win.. and that just hurts.

Penguins are because of Crosby and because of how the team acted when they had Matt Cooke (before he changed his game). Which is unfortunate.. growing up they were my second favourite team.. even before Mario and Jagr arrived.

Others are even simpler; Minnesota I just can't cheer for as I still clearly recall how vividly that team did its best to absolutely drain the life from any game they were involved in. Sure, they aren't the same soul-sucking boring-as-shit team they were.. but god damn. I will never forget those games and for that.. I can never like them. Those games were boring enough to prompt suicidal thoughts in the most stable of individuals. Oh, and they have their share out out-right dirty players I dislike.

Montreal; just out-and-out tired of the team. Gets almost as much coverage as the Leafs.. gah. Don't actually mind the team much. Tend to dislike wailing masses that comprise their fan-base as self-important twats (why yes, I am aware the Canadians are the most winning team in NHL history... granted, most of those came from an era when there were only five other teams and from having your GM run and engineer the '67 expansion in such a way as to ensure your team made out like bandits...).

The rest of the teams I just.. don't care enough about to cheer for.

Longer than I'd have liked, but, basically; I can't stand teams associated with players I've personal issues with, tend to have dirty players, play(ed) a horrifyingly craptastic style of hockey, or pathetic contrived reasons to see a franchise or player fail.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #231 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:35 PM

Look all men are entitled to some hatred in every sport but half of your list there is so flimsy and weak. You and I both know Iginla is a hell of a guy and was the only guy on those Flames teams for years. They robbed him of his entire career and he knows it. He's just a merc looking for a run and like you admit he's a good stand up guy who has played hard and fair for years on shit teams with shit for help from his front office.

The Sharks, who happen to be my local team, you don't have a good reason at all. Borderline crap? Every team does borderline crap unless its your team. What does that even mean lol.

If you are going to hate the Ducks you can't ignore the fact that this is Selanne's last year. You didn't even mention him. One of the best things about hockey is the crazy old guys that keep playing at that level. And I'm pretty sure he's never even done any borderline crap.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hating on St. Louis because he isn't an angel is like hating on AI because he wasn't an angel. The man is playing a game his body gives him zero right to play. And playing it well. You can't hate on him as just a human who has ever tried to do a physical activity you just didn't have the gifts for. Its fucking amazing watching him play it just doesn't make sense he survives to the end of a single game of hockey.

Boo hoo I hate Patrick Roy. Patrick Roy and his years of success probably don't give a fuck. I'm very wary of people hating on athletes for things off the field. That said. Colorado is one of the better stories and things happening in the nhl in the last few years after being just lost in the wilderness as a franchise. But whatever you hate a guy who isn't even on the ice.

Fuck Crosby. Everyone agrees with that. From there on out it got a bit more reasonable sounding I guess.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:32:17 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:38 PM

I'm a fan of a sport. We're supposed to have utterly irrational opinions on why we like or don't like various teams. Its half the fun. I don't even disagree with most of your reply. I know my stance on Iginla is pure fan bullshit. I admitted he was a great guy (met him.. almost hated how bloody nice and grounded the guy was, albeit only because he was a Flame at the time) and a good player. Most of me not wanting him to win anything is due to the number of Flames fans I know who are cheering for him to win the cup this year and an Oiler fan cannot stand on the same ground as a Flames fan. Just isn't done!

Sharks.. meh. Any team that employs Raffi Torres deserves the dirty moniker. I haven't got a clue if he's cleaned his game up, but he's one of the dirtiest players in the league because he hits to injure. He did during his time in Edmonton and I loathed the player then and I've loathed him since as he's gone on to do it again and again. Coutoure also bugs me for some reason I've never been able to quantify. And yes, every team does borderline shit. Its an unfortunate part of the game that is almost impossible to remove, but the Sharks in the past have had a reputation for at times veering closer to that line than a number of other teams in the West. I honestly don't know if its true anymore, I stopped watching them (to be fair, I stopped watching a lot of hockey the past two years). But as I said, the main reason I can't cheer for them is because they always choke. They've been a good team for awhile... but the moment they hit the playoffs things start to go wrong for them and I have little to no attachment to the team (they were my favourite of the new expansion teams, but that died over the years).

Selanne is a phenomenal player and one I respect a ton, but he's not a favourite player of mine. I have no real emotional attachment to the guy as a fan and I don't really enjoy watching him play the game like other players around the league. I wish he was on a different team, but the presence of one player I respect, but don't hate isn't cause to cheer for a team. Maybe if he was on a team I didn't have any strong feelings about one way or another, but he's on the Ducks.

As for St. Louis, like I said; I used to be a fan of his. Its great whenever a smaller player rips it up like he has. But his personality and the double standard he lives by (one of my biggest pet peeves about the NHL is the double standard towards rookies/young players) made me stop being a fan. I'm sure that like Roy he gives zero shits about my opinion as a fan in a market he also gives no shits about and that's fine, just like its my right as a fan to take issue with a player who does or says things I dislike or find stupid (for one example; his reaction to the Omark shoot-out goal, as one example, about how it was a disgrace, has no place in hockey, etc., etc., and then not long after he also does a spin in a shoot-out and its suddenly fine? Like I said; fuck him and the horse he rode in on) and I never look that kindly on a guy who hand-cuffs his team with a trade request like he did to Tampa. Maybe its just butt-hurt from when Pronger bent the Oilers over, but even though its his right as a player, its rubs me the wrong way and, for me, detracts from the respect the guy has earned from being able to force his way into the NHL so spectacularly.

Yes, I hate Roy. Yes, I understand he's had tremendous success (and that he doesn't care about any of his detractors.. regardless of who they are). I can't stand him. Couldn't stand him when he played (for antics both on and off the ice), can't stand him as a coach (mainly for his antics on the bench), and I couldn't stand him in person. As for Colorado being one of the better stories.. meh. I'm not convinced they've found their way out of the wilderness just yet. Sure, they're having a fantastic season this year, but the underlying stats show that it very well could be just that, one fantastic season. Its like being thrilled the Leafs turned things around last year because they made the playoffs and pushed the Bruins to a seventh game before reality dragged them back to earth. Shit happens. Regardless; it's good for the fans, city and the NHL. Just not a fan of the franchise, Roy, several players on the team and not convinced they're as good as many are making them out to be.

And yes, many of my reasons are, or could be, utterly and completely bat-shit crazy. I'm fine with that. I mean, shit, I'm an Oiler fan. I'm clearly not mentally sound.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 19, 2014, 12:36:38 AM

Someone is bitter about having to live in Edmonton. awesome, for real
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:47 AM

Wouldn't you be?

Seriously, though.. I actually like the city (well, enough that leaving would just be a pain in the ass). The Oilers, however, are an excellent example of how to drive your fanbase absolutely fucking mad.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: April 19, 2014, 11:18:05 AM

On another note, Milan Lucic should be suspended for at least one game for his cheap shot stick work on the Detroit player but I doubt it because that's "Bruin's hockey" and the league won't do anything to stop them.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/canadiens-playoffs-2014/2014/4/19/5630204/milan-lucic-spears-another-player-in-the-junk-bruins-media-loves-it

Edit: Just saw Joel Quenville got fined $25k for grabbing his junk after a call he didn't like.  So, in the NHL grabbing your own junk is a $25k fine while smashing your stick into another guy's junk gets you no punishment at all. Facepalm
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:43:24 AM by Ginaz »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: April 19, 2014, 01:46:53 PM

Wouldn't you be?

Seriously, though.. I actually like the city (well, enough that leaving would just be a pain in the ass). The Oilers, however, are an excellent example of how to drive your fanbase absolutely fucking mad.

Add another 30 odd years of that then come back to me about driving a fan base insane.  why so serious?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: April 20, 2014, 03:26:49 PM

Im sure the rest of the country hates the Bruins by now but Chara laughing at Brendan Smith was awesome..

Link for gif and stuff here

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: April 20, 2014, 04:34:03 PM

I don't remember who it was, but Chara once tossed a Leaf player like a sack of potatoes.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #239 on: April 20, 2014, 05:59:24 PM

Did you even try to look for it? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

First result from searching Youtube for "Chara Throw":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7YS5zG_X38

Pertinent bit at about 1:20.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: April 20, 2014, 06:57:29 PM

Honestly, no, no I did not.

That was MUCH longer ago then I remembered, jeez.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #241 on: April 22, 2014, 06:27:42 AM

Three shutouts and a major come-from-behind by the Penguins.  Yesterday was pretty interesting!
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: April 22, 2014, 07:18:42 AM

That was a pathetic display by the Blue Jackets. I guess that's the difference between lots of playoff experience and none. Ability to recover from adversity vs. inability to hold together a complete 60 minutes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #243 on: April 22, 2014, 07:43:55 AM

Not having Backes hurts, too.

Also, I somehow maintained my distance enough that I never quite caught wind of Matt Cooke when I was a Penguin.  The more I read, the more glad I am that he's moved on.  Tyson barrie out 4-6 weeks.

e: Cooke, not Cookie.  He definitely does not get a cookie.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:18:18 AM by Phildo »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: April 22, 2014, 07:44:17 AM

And Matt Cooke. Fuck him.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2013 - 2014  
Jump to: