Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: iOS 7 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iOS 7  (Read 28387 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:14 AM

I think it's debatable whether or not a significant portion of the population is smarter than a monkey.   awesome, for real  Just look at all the idiots that voted for W. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 24, 2013, 10:44:19 AM

It should also be repeated because people don't read. You DO NOT need a password.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:18 AM

Which was covered, to which you said:

If you can't remember a 4-digit code then gtfo technology.

Which prompted the current line of conversation you're now objecting to.  So you're just looking to argue then. Good to know.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 12:44:07 PM

The level feature in the compass is badass.  I'm running around checking to make sure everything is level around the office. ;)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 01:10:31 PM

"I forgot my password" is not a problem that Apple gave a shit about.

"Millions of paying customers are forgetting their passwords and then calling tech support", is a problem that Apple really really really wanted to fix.  Thus the finger-swipe thingee.  At the same time the change (theoretically) makes the phones less attractive to steal.

Seems like pure win from an Apple perspective.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 01:51:21 PM

TouchID Hacked (ArsTech article)

Obviously I'm not in the security business because I wouldn't describe this hack as trivial.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 02:12:25 PM

It's about inconvenience not forgetting a password.  

My iPad doesn't leave the house or contain sensitive information, why does it need a lock?  
It's only an inconvenience if you couldn't turn it off after smiley Apple took a chance to make everyone comply, and the more comfortable users will know how to turn it off.

And yea this is a dumb post now that I've read the third page. But I can't delete, so instead I'll just add this paragraph wink
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 25, 2013, 11:05:54 AM

I'm getting used to ios7 but the latest version of itunes is broken for me, it hangs all the time even scrolling through lists, its pretty much unusable.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #78 on: September 25, 2013, 06:39:29 PM

Reset all settings tends to fix a lot of that kind of stuff.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 26, 2013, 07:50:16 AM

fuck you Apple.

Safari si a piece of shit, and our company's video sites (which work just fine in ios5 and 6) crash safari on iOS 7.  The crash logs are fucking worthless and we are stuck.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 26, 2013, 07:51:45 AM

Burn it, burn it all. (I hate managing browser compatibility, what a colossal waste of time)

- Viin
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #81 on: September 26, 2013, 09:56:24 AM

Its always been a mystery to me how Apple can be at the forefront of so many elements in OS usability yet wears its pants firmly on its head when it comes to browsers and media management systems.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #82 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:52 AM

I don't think Apple's behavior regarding their webrowsers is "pants on head".  It's pretty clear they are attempting to bully people into using the standards that they want to use. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #83 on: September 26, 2013, 01:31:22 PM

You can't bully your customers when the customer has at least two readily available and wildly more popular browsers, Chrome and Firefox, right there on the interwebs. And although I'm happy to be enlightened, I have no idea what standards you think Safari is pushing.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 26, 2013, 01:34:46 PM

I have no idea what standards you think Safari is pushing.

It's not that Safari has any language/programming standards, far from it.  The 'standard' is that "because 100M+ people have iPhones/iTouchs/iPads, and a good chunk of them don't have any clue about using a browser other than Safari on them, you must support Safari, regardless of how badly coded and unstable it is."

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #85 on: September 26, 2013, 07:50:25 PM

What is this? I don't even...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:55 PM

You can't bully your customers when the customer has at least two readily available and wildly more popular browsers, Chrome and Firefox, right there on the interwebs. And although I'm happy to be enlightened, I have no idea what standards you think Safari is pushing.

Sure you can. Apple's just pulling a 90s-era Microsoft, except they provide all parts of the ecosystem and quite possibly can't be sued for being a monopoly as a result. I use Chrome on my iPhone 5 and iPad Retina, but based on the data I've seen, the vast majority of people do not.

Further, given the amount of people who are using Chrome on desktops and laptops, I doubt they don't know about mobile browsers as much as they don't give a shit. Safari is fine for the vast majority of mobile browsing given how many sites either poorly implemented their mobile formatting, don't really offer much reason to use them mobilely, or shifted resources to creating an app instead of bother with a mobile site in the first place. My fucking local bar, of which there is precisely one location, has an app, and their website barely loads on my desktop.

We can thank Apple for the app convention too.  awesome, for real
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 04:21:31 PM

So in supporting one of my users I got to play around with the new version of iOS. It is pretty blah overall to me shrug. General comments from the older users is WTF is this crap and why can't I go back.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #88 on: October 06, 2013, 06:52:28 PM

I'm not a fan of it visually.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 07, 2013, 07:26:51 AM

I got my first iPhone about a week before iOS 7 came out, so I'm lucky.  I wasn't particularly attached to the old one enough to miss it.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 09:06:13 AM

Got an ipad mini for xmas w/ 7 on it. I'm not a huge fan of the visuals, and as far as i can tell the only great improvement is accessing all the stuff by flicking up on the bottom of the screen.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 11:18:13 AM

It was a subtle update.  Here's a big list:  http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/ios-7-features.html

I'm ambivalent about the aesthetics.  However, performance on devices released in the last two years is much better.  My old iPhone 4 struggles with it, though. 
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:24 PM

I love the aesthetics and would not go back even if it were possible. BUT I'm really getting hammered with battery life. I used to be able to get 1.5 days out of a charge in my iPhone 5, and now am only limping through to 5:00 PM unless I sneak in a charge during the day.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 02:36:46 PM

I love the aesthetics and would not go back even if it were possible. BUT I'm really getting hammered with battery life. I used to be able to get 1.5 days out of a charge in my iPhone 5, and now am only limping through to 5:00 PM unless I sneak in a charge during the day.
The poor battery life you mention is one of the reasons I think the tech industry should temporarily take a pause in making things ever faster and focus on creating new power sources.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:56 PM

I'm not sure how much you're using it, but I get like 3 or 4 days out of an Iphone 5.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 05:22:17 PM

I get three days out of my nearly 3yr old 4 on iOS 7.0.4. 

Be vigilant about shutting down apps you don't use and make sure to use wireless when you can.  Every app running that needs to know your location can potentially be updating, which drains fast too. 

ymmv.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #96 on: January 23, 2014, 05:51:49 PM

I would just like to take a moment here to bitch about three things.

* The inability to roll back an OS on Apple machines
* Pushing out an OS that let the users decide to install in a corporate environment. (which subsequently broke all their programs)
* Manufacturers who still haven't fixed their driver problems, 4 months after Maverick was pushed. (I'm looking at you, Wacom.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 23, 2014, 08:17:36 PM

My bitch is that iOS 5.1.1 is the last update for iPad 1 and most apps don't support it anymore! Don't wipe your iPad 1 folks, or you won't be able to install your apps back on it! (such as Kindle Reader)

- Viin
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #98 on: January 23, 2014, 08:30:39 PM

Tell me more about how wonderful it is to be in Apple's walled garden, where everything 'just works' (until Cupertino decides it shouldn't).

--Dave (I am allowed one 'in your face' to the cultists per calender year, I'm using it early)

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 08:51:52 PM

Old bullshit argument is old. But you keep rockin' that "cultist" hate.

As for your battery life Baldrake, follow some of the instructions others have mentioned here about watching location-sensitive apps. If all else fails, wipe and restore.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #100 on: January 23, 2014, 10:36:14 PM

Baldrake, how old is your phone?  If it was one of the first 5's, it's coming up on a year and a half old, and the LiPo battery pack is hitting the wall.  What you need to do is open up your phone and replace the battery...lol, sorry, couldn't resist.

Your phone is reaching the end of it's designed lifespan, you will have to replace it when it enters paperweight mode, which could be anytime in the next 9 months.  iOS 7 maybe accelerating that, but it's a built-in self destruct in all portable Apple products.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:17 PM

iOS7 drove me to Android (at least on the phone), so I have not much good to say about it. But I can say battery life wasn't one of the problems I had with it.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 24, 2014, 03:55:21 AM

Baldrake, how old is your phone?  If it was one of the first 5's, it's coming up on a year and a half old, and the LiPo battery pack is hitting the wall.  What you need to do is open up your phone and replace the battery...lol, sorry, couldn't resist.

Your phone is reaching the end of it's designed lifespan, you will have to replace it when it enters paperweight mode, which could be anytime in the next 9 months.  iOS 7 maybe accelerating that, but it's a built-in self destruct in all portable Apple products.

--Dave

My 4S is over 2 years old and while the battery does not last as long as it did when it was new, it still easily lasts a full day when I am not going in and out of service (which I do at work since I work in a basement). And good luck finding a high end one of your vaunted Android phones that has a replaceable battery now.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: January 24, 2014, 10:43:23 AM

The last couple of phones I had all started having various issues around the 1.5 year mark, and I've used both Android and iPhone models.  None to the degree that they weren't usable, though. 

We recently switched to the 5s for our phones, and we're liking them just fine.  I can get anywhere from 1.5 days to 3 depending on where I'm going and how much I use it. 
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: January 24, 2014, 11:16:10 AM

I keep mine in a Mophie juice pack.  It's nice to have a built-in spare battery that I can't misplace or forget to charge.

The big downside for most would be that the iphone 5 won't (but should) cable sync to iTunes through the Mophie.  Since I never bother to do that, I don't really give a shit though.  It's more annoying to me that it's just slightly too tall for a shirt pocket now.

Edit: I've never updated it to 7, and haven't seen any compelling reason to do it.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: iOS 7  
Jump to: