Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:14:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: iOS 7 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iOS 7  (Read 28364 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:50 PM

In this particular case, it's not really alarmist. The people who would know the intricacies of the technology or access to the data gained from it are few and far between. But it's not unreasonable to assume that if Apple can find and identify a phone (via opt-in to Find My iDevice or what have you), they can match a fingerprint for it. Regardless of weather or not the data is stored on the cloud.

It's OK for companies you like or are involved with to make incredibly poor decisions, it happens.

The design thing is subjective. I think it's a step backwards. Some people think it's a step forward. Whatever, none of that really matters.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 11:32:56 PM

Let me bottom line this for you.

We can't. That data never makes it to the cloud and never will.

We don't fucking want to get your fingerprint data. Literally. we'd have to physically take the phone and brute force it. We neither know, nor care enough about anyone to do that. And if we don't want to do it, anyone else that does is gonna be wasting a lot of resources to try.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:38:42 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:00 PM

I believe you, and I'm not arguing with you. It's just like one of those things. It's a solution to a problem that didn't exist, and that's weird to me. Very Xbox One of them. Though, the XBox One stuff served a bigger agenda, what precisely does fingerprint recognition do? Was phone theft and such that much of a big deal?
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 07:24:13 AM

A problem definitely existed/exists.  You never forget your finger.  Problem solved, moving onto new problems now.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 08:24:05 AM

I give the FBI my fingerprints if I can have more than 9 icons on one screen in my Ipad folders for it. Because the first thing I don't give a shit about and the second thing annoys me enough that I even consider downgrading again.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 09:51:32 AM

A problem definitely existed/exists.  You never forget your finger.  Problem solved, moving onto new problems now.
If you're forgetting the password on your cell phone, I think you have bigger problems. Like early onset Alzheimer's.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 09:58:09 AM

1-2-3-4-5

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 10:02:12 AM

blah blah spaceballs joke blah blah
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 01:50:44 PM

Theft is a huge issue. As are people who forget their passwords, have their kids set them differently, etc..

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 02:02:41 PM

Was phone theft and such that much of a big deal?

My (limited) understanding was that this was more for the China market where smartphone theft is apparently a Very Big Deal. I don't know that it's a huge problem in the U.S. We got the iPhone on the market even before it became the big thing. But in China it's been kind of a big deal as one of those imports that gets continually knocked off, thus increasing the stealability value of any "authentic" one that appears there. Again, what I've heard, no data to back it up.

I'd imagine even if average American wasn't savvy enough to set up Find My Phone for remote bricking when it's stolen, they also didn't go right to the police (/woodywoodpecker) when it happened either.

I personally don't care about all the biometric stuff. The PC laptop I ditched three years ago had a fingerprint scanner when I got it two years prior. I think the outrage is because Apple is huge, they've had missteps with their location/PII data collection practices before, guvmint agencies keep focusing on them for things like COPPA, and because their tight lipped approach makes them terrible at making people feel comfortable about any service thing they do.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 21, 2013, 03:59:38 PM

Meanwhile the iOS7 lock screen seems to have a number of  exploits for it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 05:11:19 PM

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 07:23:46 AM

iOS 7 does one thing that's huge. One of my biggest annoyances with iOS devices is that there is no physical "Back" button. So apps place an on-screen "Back" button in the top-left corner of the screen. That is the single most important reason that you can't have a large iPhone - it isn't possible to reach your thumb up to that damned "Back" button if the phone is any bigger than it is now.

iOS 7 introduces "swipe-from-the-left" as a back gesture, which means we don't need the button in the top-left corner any more. It will take a while for all the apps to catch up and start using the gesture, but some do already. This is an awesome improvement that will finally give us the possibility of a larger iPhone.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 12:17:19 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 05:09:40 PM

Holy mother of god, you guys weren't kidding about iOS7 on an ipad.  WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.  Even on my wife's ipad mini its so much wasted space.

Makes me a little less sad that my iPad 1 is stuck on iOS 5, at least I can see more than 15 items in a folder.....
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 05:35:28 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.
I'm focusing more on the "Nailed It!" part of your post than the  Ohhhhh, I see. part.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 05:43:56 PM

The  Ohhhhh, I see. part is more apt though.

If I wanted a bigger phone, I'd buy a goddamn android monstrosity.

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 06:12:06 PM

There's room for an iPhone that's another 0.5" diagonal. As an alternative, not a replacement.

You'll see, when you're a little older and your eyesight is not what it is now.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 06:42:13 PM

There's room for an iPhone that's another 0.5" diagonal. As an alternative, not a replacement.

You'll see, when you're a little older and your eyesight is not what it is now.

Apple wants the old people like Abercombie wants fat people.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 08:56:12 PM

Patently false.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 10:25:42 PM

No, Apple covets old people.  But they may not after the onslaught of old people that have updated to iOS7 and then promptly forgotten their 4 digit password. 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16:33 AM

Old people set passwords?

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 03:06:49 AM

Patently false.
unclench, it was a joke.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 06:02:16 AM

The set up process leads you to do one and it appears that you can't opt out. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 06:03:45 AM

The set up process leads you to do one and it appears that you can't opt out. 

You can

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 06:57:58 AM

Most people won't bother, though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:34 AM

Yeah or you can turn it off after setting it up.  My daughter did the OS upgrade and didn't realize you didn't have to set one up.  If a moderately tech-savvy 15-year-old doesn't know it, I expect less of the general public and nothing of people over 50.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:43 AM

If you can't remember a 4-digit code then gtfo technology.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 09:04:01 AM

iPhones are not for the tech savvy anymore. Their average user knows enough to handle the four digit password. They'll bitch about it, but they'll also right it down so they don't forget. And if they do forget, they'll go to the Genius Bar, have the phone wiped and a tech will fix it for them.

Older people may not have the intuition of a 15 year old, but they have time and they are way more comfortable talking to actual humans who are there to help them fix stuff.

Apple may not MARKET to these people. And Samsung enjoyed a short run of making fun of them at the expense of Apple in their commercials last year. But they are a huge market, Apple's products are nominally easy enough for them to adopt, and those buying iPhones and tablets are in a class that has a heck of a lot of money to splurge on such stuff.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #64 on: September 24, 2013, 09:22:18 AM

If you can't remember a 4-digit code then gtfo technology.

I'm sure Apple would like to only sell phones to the tech savvy. 
Rasix

Reply #65 on: September 24, 2013, 09:24:48 AM

You've got to imagine that 90% of their 4 digit codes are the same as their pin number.  

Why are you being so fucking obtuse about this?

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 09:47:43 AM

Also, when did four digits become tech savvy? You know shit like combination locks have been around a LOT longer than um...electricity?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #67 on: September 24, 2013, 09:55:06 AM

It's about inconvenience not forgetting a password. 

My iPad doesn't leave the house or contain sensitive information, why does it need a lock?  It's also not a phone, so it's not getting forgotten in some public place or ass-dialing because it's tumbling around in a pocket.  Even if it was, why does Apple get to say I need a password.  Maybe I like ass-dialing.

I prefer not having a password on my home PC, too.  The horror. I'd rather it boot up and go to the desktop than sit at an arbitrary login screen when nobody else uses the PC but me.

awesome, for real

Rasix

Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 09:58:43 AM

I don't password anything.  I also don't let anyone use my shit.

It was like in college, this guy who was potentially going to be my roommate: "So, I don't have a computer, can I use yours?"

"Hahaha.  NO.  Fuck no."

Didn't end up rooming with him. 

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 10:03:51 AM

Scientists have discovered that even monkeys can memorize ten numbers.  Are you stupider than a monkey?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: iOS 7  
Jump to: