Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:10:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: NCSoft, Cryptic Studio, and Top Cow announce new City of Heros comic book 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCSoft, Cryptic Studio, and Top Cow announce new City of Heros comic book  (Read 6298 times)
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

on: February 28, 2005, 06:41:59 PM

NCsoft, Cryptic and Top Cow Productions Announce New Comic Book for City of Heroes

AUSTIN, Texas, February 28, 2005—In a co-venture with NCsoft® Corporation (KSE: 036570.KS) and Cryptic Studios™, Top Cow Productions will launch City of Heroes® as a new comic book series that will link together gamers and comic book fans alike. Celebrated writer Mark Waid (X-Men, Hunter-Killer, Flash, JLA, Ruse, Fantastic Four, Kingdom Come, Empire) teams up with David Nakayama (Proximity Effect, a graduate of the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, and a Wizard art contest winner), to bring to life the action and the adventure of the super-powered heroes and villains that make up the City of Heroes massively multiplayer online world.

With an audience of well over 100,000 subscribers, City of Heroes has received mass market and critical acclaim in the gaming industry since its launch in April of 2004. The game was awarded PC or Console Game of the Year and Multiplayer Game of the Year by Billboard Magazine. It also received MMORPG of the year honors from Spike TV and Computer Gaming World.

The new series of comics will launch in May and City of Heroes players will continue to get the new comic book as part of their game subscription. “The most exciting part for me is the fact that we’ll be sending this out to both the City of Heroes subscribers and the comic book retailers every month,” says Top Cow Editor in Chief, Jim McLauchlin. “There is a legion of fans out there who love comic books as an idea and as a genre, but may have forgotten that they love comic books in and of themselves. This is our chance to remind them. It’s a great day for the comic business.”

“We’re thrilled to be working with the Top Cow team,” said City of Heroes Lead Designer Jack Emmert. “Top Cow is putting together a lineup of artists and writers who are tops in this business. This is an experienced team that has a strong track record for making quality comics. The big winners will be our players, who are really going to enjoy this new experience.”

As the official comic book for City of Heroes, the ongoing series will focus on the signature heroes from the online game: The Freedom Phalanx: Statesman™, Manticore™, Positron™, Sister Psyche™ and Synapse™. “Our goal is to bridge the gap between game players and comics readers with something that appeals to both and conjures the best elements of both media,” says Top Cow Productions President Matt Hawkins. “I’ve been playing the game since it came out and met with game creator Jack Emmert and NCsoft product marketing manager Kevin Sullivan. Our discussions eventually led to this deal and announcement.”

I wonder if this is going to take the place of the current CoH comic or if its going to be in addition to it.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 06:43:51 PM

Based on the quote I'd say it's going to replace it since they talk about sending it to subscribers and retailers. Why would they send two different comics to subscribers? Seems silly.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:49:55 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 08:31:43 AM

I believe it will replace it. Which is a bit of a shame, because the current one is decent if not spectacular. However, Mark Waid being involved means it'll probably be a lot better than the current one.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 12:58:32 PM

The current one isn't decent.  Not in my book, anyways.  I'm happy to see that thing go.

<harlequin lunges at Apex and is dodged>
Harlequin: You float like a butterfly, I'll give you that!
<Horus smashes into harlequin, taking her out>
Apex: That had to sting like a bee!

MAKE IT STOP.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 10:01:38 PM

A preview of the new updated CoH comic:

More found at http://www.newsarama.com/Top_Cow/CoH/CoH_01.htm
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 10:02:33 PM

I think Spider Jerusalem should relocate to Paragon City.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 01:02:21 PM

The new comic is pretty damn good.  Not Transmet quality, of course, but it's something I'd consider buying if it wasn't sent to me for free.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 08:56:15 PM

I might have liked the new CoH comic better if the "medical teleporters get distrupted" plot hadn't just been done on a smaller scale in the old CoH comic.  I was pretty underwhelmed by the preview.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 03:04:00 AM

Cover to #3

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 12:01:48 PM

I got my copy of the first issue of the new comic in the mail the other day, it's actually quite good.  The paper quality is way better, the art is better, the plot uses canon CoH heroes which is kinda cool.  Overall, I like it.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 12:25:19 PM

Looks like Waid is only writing the opening arc.  Come August, Troy Hickman will take over the writing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 11:27:59 AM

I got the first one, and it's decent. It reminds me of JMS's Rising Stars a bit.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 05:27:57 AM

Finally took some time to read the issues I had lying around (1 and 2).

I only read two issues of the old one as well, but gave up on it. It was a little on the side of the standard, corny, conventional take on superheroes...Which got boring pretty quick. The new one is being taken in a much more interesting direction (at least so far). This time around, the character's are fleshed out with more than just quips and one-liners. And they're not "all business". They have things to say.

Stateman's not so much the perfect boyscout as he is a private, but capable leader -- But who's intentions don't seem to be completely altruistic either (Maybe it's just a little ego. Maybe it's Recluse. I don't know.). Manticore is probably the "coolest" character so far. A bit world weary and pissed, but not in any kind of angstsy way. He's more like Batman than he is Wolverine. The story has set both of these guys up (seemingly) at odds with each other, with a larger overreaching plot about Paragon City's heroes and villians losing their powers and forced to a standoff. Statesman seems to be the only one who knows what's happening (server admin?).

Anyways, it's good enough to go on and read issue 3.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 11:46:55 AM

I think it's decent.

Issue 3 had a few bits that rubbed me the wrong way, but otherwise I've enjoyed it so far.  It is, at the very least, immeasurably better than the previous comic.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: NCSoft, Cryptic Studio, and Top Cow announce new City of Heros comic book  
Jump to: