Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:58:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Nintendo 2....DS? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 2....DS?  (Read 4489 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

on: August 28, 2013, 10:35:12 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/no-joke-new-nintendo-2ds-plays-your-3ds-games-in-2d/

Huh.  Listening to the internet, it would seem the 3d feature is universally loathed.  Not exactly sure why since it's optional, but my impression is Nintendo's core demo (9-12 year old boys) think the 3d is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:43:49 PM by Yegolev »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:36:11 AM

Stellar journalism, shitdick.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:39 AM

It's the sort of thing you'd come up with during a late night at a bar while suggesting ridiculous video game console ideas.

This is never actually done by anyone right?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:48:39 AM

Stellar journalism, shitdick.

I never got a copy of the mission statement you were circulating that attempted to raise the hue and cry of the 4th estate and empower every poster on these here forums as a gen-u-wine journo.  But since you're such a good little mod why don't you solve this crisis yourself by erasing this post and then killing yourself?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:49:46 AM

It wouldn't really solve anything.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:56:18 AM

I will get this for the sole purpose of playing Animal Crossing without having to pay the full price for the useless features of the 3DS.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:01:28 AM

As someone with depth perception issues, I've never had 3D work right for me.  These newer, glass-less versions are worse and make my head ache.

I've heard that you can totally disable the 3D on the 3DS, but still...

I might pick this up depending on stuff....like Hex, or something  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:18 AM

Yes, via physical slider which goes from zero to very 3D.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:22:35 AM

Call me crazy but I do like the new design.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 11:27:50 AM

It won't fit into a pocket.  Price doesn't seem that much lower than a 3DS.

I don't understand the point of this device.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 11:32:51 AM

As someone with depth perception issues, I've never had 3D work right for me.  These newer, glass-less versions are worse and make my head ache.

But still what? You turn it off and never think about it again. At least that's what I did, as a person with depth perception issues.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 11:33:10 AM

3ds, even folded doesn't fit into most pockets.  I think the idea of a pocket fitting handheld besides our phones is long gone.

Quick edit:Even if you can turn off the 3d, you are paying extra for the 3d and there was no good reason 3ds games couldn't have been made for the ds besides money.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 11:34:03 AM

A cheaper 3DS without the shitty 3D feature is a good idea, but what's with the weird design on this thing? Looks uncomfortable and less portable.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:52 AM

3ds, even folded doesn't fit into most pockets.  I think the idea of a pocket fitting handheld besides our phones is long gone.

Quick edit:Even if you can turn off the 3d, you are paying extra for the 3d and there was no good reason 3ds games couldn't have been made for the ds besides money.

The XL 3DS fits into my jeans pocket just fine. Stop wearing skinny hipster pants.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:46:44 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:41:48 AM

I don't understand the point of this device.

Nintendo has shitty WiiU sales and the 3DS isn't picking up the slack. Also, they need a new SKU for Christmas.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:15:06 PM

A cheaper 3DS without the shitty 3D feature is a good idea, but what's with the weird design on this thing? Looks uncomfortable and less portable.

Kids. Apparently parents freak out about 3D for their childs eyes, and kids break hinges.

Really not much to this story other than the maybe the extra sku angle.

beer geek.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 12:18:43 PM

I was under the impression that the 3DS hardware was significantly more powerful than the DS, is that wrong?
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 12:20:34 PM

You are not wrong. You also can't play 3DS games on the DS, either. And an overwhelming amount of new games that come out are for the 3DS.

beer geek.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 12:24:27 PM

this is so stupid i cant be bothered to type well
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:59 PM

I'd love a 3D-less 3DS but the design of this thing is ... not at all something I want to play something on.

God Save the Horn Players
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:42:33 PM

You can have a 3D-less 3DS very easily.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 12:50:02 PM

My DS Lite finally kicked the bucket so was kicking around the idea of buying a 3DS. I don't hate the 3D and it doesnt hurt my eyes, but I don't NEED it. So to me, the idea of something like this is nice because it's cheaper.

But, I like the folding thing on my handheld.  This looks like a weird throwback.

beer geek.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:59 PM

Not for full 3DS price, obviously.  Ohhhhh, I see.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 01:28:00 PM

Not for full 3DS price, obviously.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Do people think that way?  Like, I wouldn't NOT buy a car because it had a "sport" mode where you could paddle shift on the premise that I would never use paddle shifting thus I must be paying a few dollars extra for this "feature" I would never use.  The fact it had a sport mode would be at worst a non-starter for me.  That thought process is foriegn to me and I've been seeing it a lot online as a reaction to this announcement.  I wonde rif people are just cheap fuckwads and $40 was the tipping point for them to jump in.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:30:23 PM by dusematic »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:31:19 PM

Hey, $40 can be quite a lot for some of us. It's actually $70, in fact.

beer geek.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 01:36:44 PM

Hey, $40 can be quite a lot for some of us. It's actually $70, in fact.

This, honestly.  $70 is a few months of WoW time, or a lot of Hex boosters.  Just sayin'.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 01:37:52 PM

Not for full 3DS price, obviously.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Do people think that way?  Like, I wouldn't NOT buy a car because it had a "sport" mode where you could paddle shift on the premise that I would never use paddle shifting thus I must be paying a few dollars extra for this "feature" I would never use.  The fact it had a sport mode would be at worst a non-starter for me.  That thought process is foriegn to me and I've been seeing it a lot online as a reaction to this announcement.  I wonde rif people are just cheap fuckwads and $40 was the tipping point for them to jump in.

People certainly mewl that Game X at $60 bucks is HIGHWAY ROBBERY, but are perfectly content spending $40 or whatever. And that's fine! We all have our price points at which something goes from "justifiable" to "meh, not worth it."

But it's true, I wouldn't buy a car because it had a sport mode if there was something similar without it for cheaper. I happen to drive a totally cheap-ass car, because for my needs, that's all that was required. I could've afforded a "better" car, but it would've been pointless and a waste. Just as I could afford a 3DS, but I don't want or need the 3D features ... and we don't need to buy a second one that badly. But if there was a cheaper 2DS that didn't have a pants-on-head design? Yep, I'd buy that.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 01:57:36 PM

I am SO uninterested in the 3D mode that yes, I am willing to buy a 3D-less device for 40$ less. Also, this will bring my 130$ to Nintendo instead of 130$ for a second hand 3DS to some person. I would say they thought something along those lines.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 02:26:48 PM

The biggest duhsign issue is the fact that they're using the base screen size on a unit that is less portable.  Why not drop the XL screens into it and figure out a way to minimize the plastic space on the user controls?  Very odd. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:32 PM

Why not drop the XL screens into it and figure out a way to minimize the plastic space on the user controls?

Because it takes effort and thus money?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:09 AM

I just realized something...Phantom Hourglass has a thing where you have to make a copy of something by closing and opening the DS (you're making an imprint of a chart or something).

So, how's Nintendo gonna address that with this?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 03:46:18 AM

I can't be arsed to buy a handheld since I do not have time or inclination to play on a handheld. I never liked just sitting around my place playing a handheld since it's less comfortable than playing on an actual console or PC, and I don't travel really at all nor do I have time at work to play. So I don't really need or want a handheld.

I own a DS but the last few years I've basically become a filthy pirate in regards to DS games. I just emulate them all since most of what I want to play works fine with mouse/keyboard or a control pad.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:52 AM

I just realized something...Phantom Hourglass has a thing where you have to make a copy of something by closing and opening the DS (you're making an imprint of a chart or something).

By no longer making gimmicky games?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 04:24:24 AM

We're talking about Zelda here.  Gimmicks is what it's all about  awesome, for real

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 07:23:11 AM

From what I understand the way that works is it relies on going into sleep mode, which the 2DS has. It doesn't make thematic sense but it works.

Also like 10 people on earth are going to play Phantom Hourglass on 2DS, so I don't think they really care at all.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Nintendo 2....DS?  
Jump to: