Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:47:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  (Read 213946 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #700 on: May 07, 2014, 10:34:36 AM

That's not anything but Bill Gates essentially saying, "He's in charge now, if he thinks that's best I'll support his decision."

The same policy that former Presidents use when asked to critique the current one.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: May 08, 2014, 03:49:48 AM

I finally broke down and ordered a PS4.  Took advantage of a slight price dip on the bundle that includes Second Son.  I knew I would be doing this anyway at some point, but I still feel a little filthy.  I'll just tell myself it is for the kids.

Equivalent cost in US Dollars?  700.  Thanks Obama.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #702 on: May 08, 2014, 06:18:05 AM

I'm going to have to put off the PS4 for a bit due to the reaming I'm taking on having my car re-keyed.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #703 on: May 08, 2014, 07:13:12 AM

Doh.  Never found them, hey.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: May 08, 2014, 08:51:58 AM

I'm going to have to put off the PS4 for a bit due to the reaming I'm taking on having my car re-keyed.

Wish there was a way to say "thanks  but I don't want the ridiculously expensive electronic key that makes things only marginally easier"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #705 on: May 08, 2014, 09:11:59 AM

That would be great.  Prior to 2009 it was possible to program your own key.  Don't ask how much two new keys cost me at the ONLY INFINITI DEALER ON THE WEST SIDE.  Not even the Nissan dealer could do it.

This is way off topic but I found a place that I can sell scrap metal, and I sold springs from a mattress/box for $4.41.  I had unfortunately only just tossed out some ruined hedge shears, those might have gotten me up to $4.90.  I'm going to try to ebay some stuff while I remember to not toss out anything made of metal.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: May 08, 2014, 07:23:25 PM

Don't ask how much two new keys cost me at the ONLY INFINITI DEALER ON THE WEST SIDE.  Not even the Nissan dealer could do it.
Considering the fobs alone can cost $95-105, I can imagine programming at the dealer running upwards of $75-150 each...  No PS4 for a while at that cost!
schild
Administrator

Reply #707 on: May 08, 2014, 08:33:45 PM

That would be great.  Prior to 2009 it was possible to program your own key.  Don't ask how much two new keys cost me at the ONLY INFINITI DEALER ON THE WEST SIDE.  Not even the Nissan dealer could do it.

I didn't know white people were allowed to own Infinitis. So, let me get over that hurdle and we can talk about the cost of keys.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #708 on: May 09, 2014, 06:53:04 AM

ZING

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #709 on: May 09, 2014, 08:45:29 AM

I'm gansta.

schild
Administrator

Reply #710 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:41 AM

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #711 on: May 09, 2014, 08:57:47 AM

My dad drives an Infiniti.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #712 on: May 09, 2014, 08:58:51 AM

OG!!!!!

schild
Administrator

Reply #713 on: May 09, 2014, 09:21:08 AM

My dad drives an Infiniti.
I had no idea your dad was black. That's awesome.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #714 on: May 09, 2014, 10:17:10 AM

When I met Phildo, the first thing I realized was that he had a black dad.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #715 on: May 09, 2014, 12:44:51 PM

Yeah a key for my '01 Volvo was something like $300 out the door.

It was even more for my GTO - apparently they have to request those keys from Australia still. GM efficiency for you.

Not fun.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #716 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:01 AM

Xbox One without Kinect for $399 in June:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #717 on: May 13, 2014, 09:27:33 AM

So Microsoft finally admits without admitting it that just about every "feature" of the XBOne was an absolute failure on every level for consumers.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #718 on: May 13, 2014, 09:28:53 AM

That's amazing, huge capitulation.  They are also finally going to stop forcing you to buy gold to get to Netflix and such.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #719 on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:21 AM

I'm amused, but I still won't buy an Xbone.  I wonder what consumer they're chasing now. Do they even know?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #720 on: May 13, 2014, 10:03:16 AM

Squeeze every last dollar out of it while quietly shopping the division out to every company dumb and rich enough to buy the division

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #721 on: May 13, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Some of the most popular voice commands include “Xbox On,”

"Our <APPLIANCE>'s most popular features include the ON switch,"

That endorsement is fucking ringing.  Ringing, I say.

Also: "This is just a taste of what we know about you!"

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #722 on: May 13, 2014, 10:27:56 AM

So Microsoft finally admits without admitting it that just about every "feature" of the XBOne was an absolute failure on every level for consumers.

Too late. They are hopelessly beaten.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:42 PM

I'm amused, but I still won't buy an Xbone.  I wonder what consumer they're chasing now. Do they even know?

They are chasing gamers now that they have realized "Consumers that want to access their cable box via another box that doesn't work as well and costs $500" wasn't actually a market that existed.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: May 13, 2014, 03:15:38 PM

I bought a $50 blu-ray player that also give me wireless access to youtube/netflix/hulu and a ton of other shit I never use so....yeah, keep on keepin on xbone.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #725 on: May 13, 2014, 03:34:02 PM

$400 does make it more palatable for me to eventually buy in the unlikely event they make a new Rock Band I guess.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:53 PM

They are chasing gamers now that they have realized "Consumers that want to access their cable box via another box that doesn't work as well and costs $500" wasn't actually a market that existed.

Yeah, they made a huge mistake with their target market for the XBONE and I don't really understand how they were so blind.

Their research showed a large amount of 360 owners were just using their machines for netflix, hulu and other apps - generating piles of cash for Microsoft through gold subscriptions and ongoing subs. For some reason, instead of realising that this was because people buying 360s as games machines and then enjoying the other uses out of them, they instead thought this was the main reason these people had the machines. So the XBone was the next stage along that path - hence TV TV TV at the launch and all the other stuff.

Of course, non-gamers aren't going to buy an Xbox for TV stuff - they have a million other, cheaper, free ways of accessing that content. Folks weren't buying 360s as multimedia devices, they were just using them like that as the games dried up and because it was convenient. So Microsoft launched an overexpensive product for a market that does't even exist, whilst Sony just happily trucked on focussing on gamers and stole the show. The worse part is even with the price reductions and removal of Kinect, the Xbone is fundamentally crippled as a machine because of the design decisions that were taken very early on to allow for Kinect and the TV stuff. The difference between the two machines is really quiet telling, especially given how early on in the generation we are (Has there ever been a console generation where one machine simply had flat out better versions of all cross-platform games before?).

My only worry with all of this is that MS and Sony have a very different approach to games. Sony has a lot of quality, first party studios that produce amazing games. MS doesn't have those any more - it gutted them all in the last 3 years of the 360s life, and there's only a few left. instead, MS tends to buy third party exclusives, and as a gamer that practice just sucks. MS responding by throwing cash around and buying the next Mass Effect from EA would really, really depress me.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: May 13, 2014, 03:40:37 PM

$400 does make it more palatable for me to eventually buy in the unlikely event they make a new Rock Band I guess.

This is unlikely - Harmonix were utterly screwed by this announcement, as their twitter posts show. they've invested in developing a Kinect game, and the technology is basically dead now.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #728 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:04 PM

Doh!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: May 13, 2014, 03:57:02 PM

My only worry with all of this is that MS and Sony have a very different approach to games. Sony has a lot of quality, first party studios that produce amazing games. MS doesn't have those any more - it gutted them all in the last 3 years of the 360s life, and there's only a few left. instead, MS tends to buy third party exclusives, and as a gamer that practice just sucks. MS responding by throwing cash around and buying the next Mass Effect from EA would really, really depress me.

This isn't really feasible anymore either. As the market lead, it was an easier proposition to get a developer/publisher to agree to release a game on Xbox 360 exclusively. This could have been attractive to a developer/publisher if the majority of their sales were going to be on Xbox 360 anyway. With Xbox One, Microsoft is now significantly behind the competition and the gulf is only growing larger. Securing an exclusivity agreement will be much less appealing to the developer/publisher if it means they lose out on all of the potential sales from the platform that is the market lead. It means that exclusivity deals will become *much* more expensive for Microsoft moving forward until they are in a better competitive position with Xbox One (if ever).
schild
Administrator

Reply #730 on: May 13, 2014, 04:01:46 PM

How badly did Harmonix fuck around over these last 5 years that they need to use Kickstarter for anything?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: May 13, 2014, 04:24:15 PM

Too much success too quickly, it's an age old issue.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #732 on: May 13, 2014, 06:36:43 PM

Hookers and blow, I agree.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #733 on: May 13, 2014, 07:15:39 PM

I grew up next to their music director.  Given the ultra repressesd nature of his upbringing that wouldn't surprise me.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #734 on: May 14, 2014, 06:01:08 AM

I need to replace all of my old Rock Band instruments.  If they were still available at all through Harmonix, they would have my money right now.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  
Jump to: