Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Civilization...Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization...Online  (Read 4170 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: August 07, 2013, 05:05:06 PM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:54:51 PM

Sounds sort of Tale in the Desert-y, I guess?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:44:51 PM

My reaction just underwent the biggest 180 imaginable, from an initial eye-roll to sudden massive interest the moment I heard "Tale in the Desert."

Something tells me it's going to back at least a little bit toward the eye-roll once I click on the article. :)

Edit:  OK, a brief read and I'm still kind of intrigued.  Neat to see something that seems wildly different than the norm, at least.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:47:03 PM by Abelian75 »
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:33:22 AM

The concept sounds intriguing, like a modernized ATITD with a few, lightweight traditional MMO systems layered on top.

My main concern is that the developer is XL Games, notable notorious for producing the highly-successful, fun and well-regarded hack-prone grindfest shitbags that were Lineage, Lineage 2 and ArcheAge. Not a good track record for producing fun, engaging, varied, modern games.

I mean, unless by "fun and engaging" you mean "replete with polygonal elf pantyshots".

That said, joining up with a Goonswarm-equivalent, rushing to nukes and blasting all the Renaissance-era pubbie scrubs back into the stone age is... kind of appealing!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:17:30 AM

I just read about this today, and I have to say. I'm Highly skeptical. Mainly because this is a turn based title turned MMORPG, and because its XL games.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:57:13 AM

But you like everything.  I'm not sure what to think now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:25:31 AM

I'm at least curious. I like the idea of an MMO with an end goal that resets, but I'm wondering how the masses will react to a game where you periodically lose all your phat lewts and have to start over.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:40:35 AM

My reaction just underwent the biggest 180 imaginable, from an initial eye-roll to sudden massive interest the moment I heard "Tale in the Desert."

Me too.  A Tale was the MMO I have the fondest memories of since DAoC.  If someone could make a version that's even slightly better, I'd be all over it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:39 AM

Looks interesting.  I wonder why they bind you to a specific civilization?  Seems to be a server imbalance issue waiting to happen.  Seems like it would make more sense to create 'maps' of different size, randomly generate the civs in each map.  Then fill the map with the correct number of people (using guilds of various sizes and mercenaries) and lock the number of people on that map. 

Actually, the server would probably need to be a bit more intelligent about what to lock.  Probably something like average playtime per civ.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:00:15 AM

I... but... how...

WHY?

That was my first reaction. After reading the article, I'm somewhat intrigued but still kind of... confused. I won't dismiss it out of hand, but yes, having the lead guy be the same fuckhead that did Lineage 1 and 2 doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 10:22:42 AM

I actually read more into it than was in the article.  I was assuming that each Civ has an AI guiding it's development, or that there is some democratic means of determine Civ-level choices, but that actually isn't clear.  The "mayor" and "social experiment" stuff seems to indicate the opposite.
Chockonuts
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:27:19 AM

I... but... how...

WHY?

That was my first reaction. After reading the article, I'm somewhat intrigued but still kind of... confused. I won't dismiss it out of hand, but yes, having the lead guy be the same fuckhead that did Lineage 1 and 2 doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
If it's any consolation, he worked on Tabula Rasa too but was smart enough to bail before it went busto.  awesome, for real
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:44:43 AM

I'm at least curious. I like the idea of an MMO with an end goal that resets, but I'm wondering how the masses will react to a game where you periodically lose all your phat lewts and have to start over.

People are fine with it as long as they get some minor acknowledgement like a special trinket and perhaps slight permanent power boost. So a small one for completing a campaign and maybe slightly better one for winning one.

I haven't seen this in a MMORPG but have in games like Shattered galaxy and M&B warband c-rpg mod and it works.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:53:58 PM

How can you possibly have managed to not play an of the civ games?   Ohhhhh, I see.
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 03:14:52 PM

If there is a title that screams "Flawlessly executed online games", it is certainly Civ.  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yoru

Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 02:44:34 AM

Well, that's bad news.

Quote from: 2K Games
Civilization Online is developed by South Korea-based XL Games in partnership with 2K, and will be available first in Korea. No release date has been set. There are no plans for a North American release at this time.

Developed by a grindhouse and released primarily to the grind-friendly Korean market. That's about as close to writing this one off as I can get without shorting their stock.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 02:51:59 AM

In the article they said it won't be grindy, career progression that is.

Sort of scared and excited about this.  I've lost so much of my life playing civ  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 03:11:59 AM

While XL Games' previous MMOs have been "Korean grinds" atleast they've released 3 of them successfully which is something that is starting to weigh more and more when it comes to whether I'm interested in some MMO project (as first time or even second time publishers seem to flounder these days when it comes to actually launching a working game).
Yoru

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:20:21 AM

In the article they said it won't be grindy, career progression that is.

You believe what game developers say in interviews? How precious.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 04:25:17 AM

Civilization Online "is not a fixed world like traditional MMORPGs," explained Song. Each civilization starts in its own area, and players must explore outwards to expand their civilizations. Because of this, players will have no idea what level of advancement other civilizations are until they bump into them.

Well, unless they read the forums.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Civilization...Online  
Jump to: