Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Server Merging 3.0: Still Not Actually Merging 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Server Merging 3.0: Still Not Actually Merging  (Read 5613 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: August 05, 2013, 01:12:52 PM

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10551009/Patch_54_Feature_Preview_Connected_Realms-8_5_2013

They started with server "phasing" as a way of cloistering lonely zones/realms together, and now we're moving onto actually hitching the servers at the hip.

Much like DAoC did in it's decline.... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:21:24 PM

I get the feeling a part of this is testing how to do one big megarealm, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 01:49:57 PM

I get the feeling a part of this is testing how to do one big megarealm, which wouldn't be a bad thing.
Debatable.  One big mega realm would be cool, but they would probably have to do multiple instances (or whatever) of Org / Stormwind / Shrine / whatever new Expantion Hub City / Starter zones they introduce next expantion to get proper load balancing, otherwise those zones would become a total clusterfuck with 50x the number of people in them then they were really designed for.    Tradechat is bad enough on a single high pop realm.  Imagine multiplying the spam by a factor of 20.......

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

WOW might be a good testing ground for a megarealm (technology) that's actually for their next MMO.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 02:30:44 PM

One unified AH would take a phenomenal amount of d-base work to function smoothly.

Not to mention the market would be so saturated...my God...all that linen cloth... why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 05:26:37 AM

So... basically a server merger where the merged servers have two entrance doors. Which neatly(!) sidesteps the "servers closing - game declining" look to the general pubic.

What are sub numbers like these days?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:39:52 AM

Compared to their peak? About 5 million down.
Compared to the rest of the sub-based mmo market?

What sub-based MMO market?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Server Merging 3.0: Still Not Actually Merging  
Jump to: