Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 282973 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: March 25, 2016, 05:31:33 PM

Thanks for saving me $30.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1121 on: March 25, 2016, 06:29:45 PM

Can't stop laughing.
Me neither. The wife keeps asking what's so funny & I'm telling her you just have to be there...

The kid is mad I wouldn't go see this & now I'm glad I held strong.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: March 25, 2016, 07:21:32 PM

The really interesting thing about the bad reviews is that people who are generous and people who aren't seem to agree:

a) it's kind of boring
b) it makes almost no sense for a lot of it
c) what little sense it does make is stupid
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1123 on: March 25, 2016, 08:38:23 PM

Wow.  It take a lot of mediocrity to make something that bad.  Just mind boggling.  Thank you for the useful synopsis.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1124 on: March 26, 2016, 05:43:09 AM

I just heard one bit of news that I didn't know about that somehow seems to summarize the whole thing. Jimmy Olson is actually in the movie but not named. He's with Lois on a story early in the movie and gets shot in the head and killed. Because Snyder thought that was a cool twist like "Psycho".  swamp poop
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1125 on: March 26, 2016, 06:28:55 AM

It's kind of too bad because Snyder seems like he would do great as a guy who oversees storyboard production, or as some sort of "action scene conceptualizer" if that were a job.

In the BVS trailer the shots of Wayne running through the city while heat vision rips through the buildings look great. The problem is that his movies have an air of great significance and self-indulgence, but are so empty and meaningless. There's no story or human emotion to connect to, it's just cool scenes and "cool lore" and shit.

Having him advising and giving input into the look and set pieces of a movie is probably a good idea - having him direct is not. In some ways he's a lot like the Wachowskis, post Matrix.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1126 on: March 26, 2016, 06:36:08 AM

I think he'd be a great visual advisor, yes. That's mostly how I've felt about Tim Burton, who also has serious problems with storytelling about 60% of the time.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1127 on: March 26, 2016, 07:18:24 AM

I just heard one bit of news that I didn't know about that somehow seems to summarize the whole thing. Jimmy Olson is actually in the movie but not named. He's with Lois on a story early in the movie and gets shot in the head and killed. Because Snyder thought that was a cool twist like "Psycho".  swamp poop

So.... what's the point of doing that but not naming him ?

And how do we know ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1128 on: March 26, 2016, 07:37:10 AM

Obviously I didn't because I called him "CIA Guy." I didn't catch Lois saying, "Jimmy," or "Oh no, Jimmy what did you do," or anything. Just emotionless reacting to a guy getting his brains splattered, no mourning no sense of loss from an old friend. That makes it worse.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: March 26, 2016, 08:34:17 AM

fwiw, even though it has a 30% on Rotten tomatoes it has a 73% audience score.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1130 on: March 26, 2016, 09:14:25 AM

Mark Kermode review, can be summarised as "I was bored".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1kyzE2We_8

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1131 on: March 26, 2016, 09:27:17 AM

So.... what's the point of doing that but not naming him ?

And how do we know ?

He's actually in the credits as "Jimmy Olson", and Snyder's already said there's a slightly longer version of the scene that's going into the R-rated cut.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1132 on: March 26, 2016, 09:29:41 AM

He's actually in the credits as "Jimmy Olson", and Snyder's already said there's a slightly longer version of the scene that's going into the R-rated cut.

FFS. R-rated cut? Movies have DLC now? Fuck right off.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1133 on: March 26, 2016, 09:41:26 AM

fwiw, even though it has a 30% on Rotten tomatoes it has a 73% audience score.

Apparently if you're hardcore into DC comics and lore it's a great movie. I, clearly, disagree.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #1134 on: March 26, 2016, 09:43:04 AM

FFS. R-rated cut? Movies have DLC now? Fuck right off.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Well, it isn't anything new. Star Wars has been the poster child for this, imo. Growing up it felt like there was a new version of Star Wars being sold every month on lavish display in Blockbuster.

ON-topic; movie is crap, no surprise. Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman was a lot better than I expected (not hard) and was actually one of the better parts of the movie (again, not hard). Glad I didn't have to pay to see it -- saw it last night after the theatre closed (best way to see any movie, imo). It will, unfortunately, do well enough to guarantee sequels. Crap quality is irrelevant when you pander to the lowest common denominator (see: Transformers franchise). Supposedly WB is expecting it to be 1 billion, minimum, with 800 million their break-even (with a 400 million production and pr budget).
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1135 on: March 26, 2016, 10:32:44 AM

The question is: How many more films in this universe get made before they address their mistakes?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1136 on: March 26, 2016, 10:50:02 AM

This is still gonna make money, it's not gonna stop the DC grimdark train.  We are at least getting 3 more movies, plus Afflecks Batman.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1137 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:41 AM

Won't stop the train, but it definitely loses some momentum. I've been surprised how widely the media has spotted that this is a shit film, Man of Steel was generally well received for some reason.

That said I remain vaguely interested in any DC project that doesn't involve one or both of Zac Snyder and Superman (unless it is Dean Cain Superman).

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #1138 on: March 26, 2016, 11:52:19 AM

Won't stop the train, but it definitely loses some momentum. I've been surprised how widely the media has spotted that this is a shit film, Man of Steel was generally well received for some reason.

That said I remain vaguely interested in any DC project that doesn't involve one or both of Zac Snyder and Superman (unless it is Dean Cain Superman).

If you look at Man of Steel without knowing who and what Superman is, I can see why critics liked it. It's just when paired with the "big blue boyscout" thing that it starts to fall apart.

This, on the other hand, is a mess. The first two hours are about 30 different 3-4 minute shorts with no real common thread and immense unearned weight given to every goddamned second of it. You're clearly expected to FEEL every second, but you're never given anything to latch onto. It's dull. The only short I found interesting was that dystopian future dream, that might make for an interesting movie.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1139 on: March 26, 2016, 11:58:09 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1140 on: March 26, 2016, 01:10:37 PM

The question is: How many more films in this universe get made before they address their mistakes?

Yeah, not often we agree, but this IS in fact the question.  It's stupid that these guys can't get their shit together. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1141 on: March 26, 2016, 02:31:43 PM

All of the reviews I've read about this movie makes it sound like a movie made during a writer's strike that had to enter production without a firm script in hand because of it. The fact that it is not should make the writers of this movie hang their head in shame.

As for Zach Snyder, I think he should be limited to directing Frank Miller comic book movies as I quite liked his aesthetic when applied to the Watchmen but hated it for MoS and will likely feel the same with this movie when I get bored some night and watch it on cable.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1142 on: March 26, 2016, 02:40:31 PM

If you look at Man of Steel without knowing who and what Superman is, I can see why critics liked it. It's just when paired with the "big blue boyscout" thing that it starts to fall apart.
Maybe this is why I liked MoS. The only other Superman media I've seen is Superman Returns which was alright but not as good as MoS.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1143 on: March 26, 2016, 03:00:35 PM

Yeah, i have zero attachment to superman as a character, i found man of steel perfectly acceptable and would watch sequels (not this one though).

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1144 on: March 26, 2016, 04:05:29 PM

So I would predict:

Big dropoff next weekend.
Slightly longer term: WB quietly finds a way to ease Snyder and maybe Goyer out. Maybe by giving them a side project in the WB-verse.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1145 on: March 26, 2016, 04:27:08 PM

Fuck's sake this movie was an utter fucking mess. It felt like "Screenplay by Bulleted List in a Powerpoint Presentation." Scenes just fucking happened at lightning speed with no connection to anything anywhere at any time with dialogue that could have been the highlighted parts in a college student's Cliff Notes of "Thus Spoke Zarathustra." Everything was drab, dreary, despressing and dim without any weight to it whatsoever.

Zak Snyder is fine if he's making movies of other people's much more controlled and coherent works, but he's fucking awful at stringing together narratives of his own. There were like 4 movies crammed into this fucking thing and none of them were good. He tried adapting

and none of it had enough gravitas to make a shit's worth of difference.

Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor steps onto the screen and immediately makes me want to punch him in the face and never stop punching. His material is goddamn terrible and utterly ill-fitting on this character. His insanity has no setup even though it has a good reason (but you can only figure that out if you actually know who he's talking about at the end).

Wonder Woman and Bruce Wayne are the absolute best parts of this movie, and are quite good. The rest of it is a fucking train wreck of epic proportions and everyone involved in the conception and execution should be fired and never work in movies at their current levels again. Doomsday is LITERALLY the WETA cave troll from Lord of the Rings with lumpy bits sewn on.

EDIT: Also the Jimmy Olsen death - yes, he was in the credits as Jimmy Olsen. There was literally no reason to make that Jimmy Olsen, nor was there any sense in that scene whatsoever. Since we know there'll be a deleted scene where we might actually get to see that it's Jimmy Olsen, it just goes to show how much disdain the writers and director had for the entirety of Superman's existence. Maybe Jimmy dying is why Clark is such a mopey, angry shit the entire movie. Both Diane Lane and Kevin Costner are utterly wasted in this, as are Holly Hunter and Jeremy Irons. What little they have to do is terrible and could have been done by furniture. The addition of at least 4 or 5 real life journalists was also unnecessary - shit, give a struggling actor a fucking job instead of these gasbags.

Diane Lane's thing about Clark not owing this world anything made me cringe. God, there is just so much wrong with this movie the more I think on it. It's like a dissertation in how NOT to make a movie and it's going to make more money than it deserves. I think Warners' execs who believe this movie will make a billion dollars are on crack.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:58:12 PM by HaemishM »

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1146 on: March 26, 2016, 06:28:18 PM

So I would predict:

Big dropoff next weekend.
Slightly longer term: WB quietly finds a way to ease Snyder and maybe Goyer out. Maybe by giving them a side project in the WB-verse.

They aren't going anywhere soon cuz Justice League starts filming next month.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1147 on: March 26, 2016, 06:33:33 PM

Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor steps onto the screen and immediately makes me want to punch him in the face and never stop punching.
Love Letters

Doomsday is LITERALLY the WETA cave troll from Lord of the Rings with lumpy bits sewn on.
*That's* why Doomsday (in the trailer) seemed familiar. That was tickling my brain.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1148 on: March 26, 2016, 07:55:06 PM

I think Warners' execs who believe this movie will make a billion dollars are on crack.

I dunno, it may have a chance and depends entirely on the falloff since it hit $82 Mil. on Friday. This is Easter weekend and I don't know how movies traditionally do this weekend but that's not a bad showing.

Comparatively, Deadpool did $47 mil on its opening day and Age of Ultron did $84 million its opening Friday and Jurassic World did $81mil its opening Friday.

Deadpool - $735 million WW/ $346 million Domestic
AOU - $1.4 billion ww/ $459 mil  Domestic
Jurassic World - $1.6 billion WW/ $652mil Domestic.

Even the widely-panned Spidey 3 managed to hit $890 mil. 9 years ago with lower ticket prices.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1149 on: March 26, 2016, 08:04:04 PM

So...
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1150 on: March 26, 2016, 08:31:02 PM

Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor steps onto the screen and immediately makes me want to punch him in the face and never stop punching.

Sounds like a great villain!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1151 on: March 26, 2016, 08:32:09 PM

The old lady surprised me by asking me if I wanted to go see Deadpool.

Wait, isn't that what this thread is about?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1152 on: March 26, 2016, 09:09:05 PM

They've crapped in the cake. Until they reboot, there is no way to make this be about the characters we know.  The crap does not come out. 

Given how good the DC animated universe once was, I am dumbstruck by how badly they messed this up.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1153 on: March 26, 2016, 09:09:54 PM

I dunno, it may have a chance and depends entirely on the falloff since it hit $82 Mil. on Friday. This is Easter weekend and I don't know how movies traditionally do this weekend but that's not a bad showing.
True, but it also opened EASTER FRIDAY.  You know, a day when literally 99% of everything else out there is closed (except for movie theatres), so the vast majority of people looking for something to do have very few options when it comes to going out.

If it had opened a week earlier, or later, it's friday numbers might not have been nearly as high.

Also, I really want to ask:  Did aquaman ever make an appearance in this thing, like, at all?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: March 26, 2016, 09:38:45 PM

I've got to say, while I'm sure the people who get paid for (or do for free) movie reviews prefer to watch good movies, it seems they save their really inspired prose for the crap ones.

I can only imagine them sitting there in the dark, furious at the shit they're having to suffer through, mentally composing epic rants. They probably put in ten times the effort out of sheer rage and bile.

It does make for fantastic reading. (Restaurant critics seem to be the same way, although even more than film critics they seem to seek out offense).

Critics are always bitchy, but the snippets here ---- BvS was clearly very, very inspiring to a narrow group of people. :)

Thank god I never had my hopes up. (I think I used that all up on Deadpool, really).
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: