Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:01:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 282962 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1190 on: March 29, 2016, 11:11:57 AM

Movies have never been great, but there have been actors who get the character right. Heck, Routh did a good job with the character (largely by following Reeve's lead), it was just the plot and other characters that really failed.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:27 PM

Christopher Reeve was miles away the best Superman/Clark Kent, but he did *not* have a Lois to match.

Yeah, this.  Also, Routh was good even though the film was gash.  Dean Cain was better than this current fuckstick.

MoS pretty much comes last on my list.  Perhaps I'm missing someone.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: March 29, 2016, 02:13:17 PM

As I watched this movie something was nagging at me. Zack Synder really fails at making me believe that Superman or Batman is on stage. I think he mostly does this by channeling Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan. In fact this movie echoes watchman more than it ever does the DCU. From the nonsensical plan to remove Superman from the not Ozymandias/Lex Luther, to the unhinged not Rorschach/Batman your suppose root for as the movie is mostly told from his perspective. Even Alfred comes off less like a pseudo father figure for batman and more like defanged Night Owl who kind stuck around with Rorschach instead of abandoning him once the no more heroes bill was passed.

Like watchman the movie spends an unhealthy amount of time discussing the nature of heroes and why they exist or should they even exist with the general discussion revolving around a detached alien blue god that is Dr. Manhattan. What ends up boring people is that 1. in movie it reads like a college lecture from a class you avoided because your major was engineering not art history, and 2. unlike watchman this discussion goes nowhere, as no actual decisions are made beyond some weak premise that superman needs government oversight but no no that's silly.

Ultimately its up to the heroes, who don't really call themselves heroes to decide for themselves who they are in this world... ultimately to decide their not heroes. It just takes Superman 2 hours to come to this conclusion. Not that even that matters. Superman is really just a detached alien, who despite living on this planet for 3 decades just now understanding that humans suck. The fact that Lois is the singular reason Superman even bothers putting on the tights makes their relationship the unhealthies healthy relationship (cough*just like Dr.Man and Specter*cough). Batman thirst for vengeance and paranoia makes very little sense for batman. I mean zero. I mean never in the history of that character would Bruce Wayne hold Superman personally responsible for that fight with Zod. The fact that this is what drives this character for again 2 hours is what makes me question how many actual comic book readers were apart of this movie. Something resembling batman shows up at the last 10 minutes of this movie but this is way after you already watched Dr. Man and Rorschach blow throw half of Gotham.  

And if you find it odd that very few people are talking about Wonder Woman, well, there isn't much to talk about. Despite being very much apart of the big showdown at the end, her extended cameo throughout most of the movie is just that, an extended cameo. Maybe its because so little, beyond the last 20 minutes of this movie, is worth sitting through her catwoman impression doesn't really stand out, beside the fact that she is basically interchangeable with catwoman. Wonder Woman as Diana can easily be mistaken for Seline Kylie. Let that sink in.

I can probably go in depth about the fight itself, but if you really came to theater with intentions of watching a Screw Attack Death Battle, than sure the movie delivers on that premise if your willing to wade through two hours of nothing of consequences happening or any sort of a plot of any kind of or even a sense of awe and wonder. If the characters mean very little to you and their depiction as fluid as Bruce Jenner's gender, than yes this movie has found an audience among that crowd and will continue to do so. However if you want Batman to act like Batman and Superman to resemble Superman, go watch the animated series, look up "World Finest" and weep for the quality of DC movies.

Anyway since no one is using spoilers there is something I'm a tad bit interested in. Lex Luthor was a major sore spot in the movie, but maybe that was accidental on purpose because in this universe Lex actually meets Darkseid, which have undoubtfully driven the tech-geniuses philanthropist insane. I'm guessing, since this is the only interesting theory this movie can actually produce, that Darkseid is aiming to get rid of the meta-humans in order to ease in the invasion of earth. The whole plot to kill Superman is mostly Lex following Darkseid instructions with whats left of his brain cells.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:20:07 PM by MediumHigh »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1193 on: March 29, 2016, 02:20:42 PM

Anyway since no one is using spoilers there is something I'm a tad bit interested in. Lex Luthor was a major sore spot in the movie, but maybe that was accidental on purpose because in this universe Lex actually meets Darkseid, which have undoubtfully driven the tech-geniuses philanthropist insane. I'm guessing, since this is the only interesting theory this movie can actually produce, that Darkseid is aiming to get rid of the meta-humans in order to ease in the invasion of earth. The whole plot to kill Superman is mostly Lex following Darkseid instructions with whats left of his brain cells.

That WOULD make sense. However, WB just released a deleted scene showing Luthor's first discovery of Darkseid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s

You think, ok that makes sense, Luthor is driven a bit bat shitty by the presence of Darkseid and hatches crazy plot to kill Superman. However, this scene happens right before the Lex shaving scene in prison, which means Luthor didn't know diddly about Darkseid until after he created Doomsday and unleashed that on the city. A good director/screenwriter/editor puts that earlier in the movie and shitcans stupid scenes like the whole "special bullet" subplot.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: March 29, 2016, 02:42:10 PM

That WOULD make sense. However, WB just released a deleted scene showing Luthor's first discovery of Darkseid.

You think, ok that makes sense, Luthor is driven a bit bat shitty by the presence of Darkseid and hatches crazy plot to kill Superman. However, this scene happens right before the Lex shaving scene in prison, which means Luthor didn't know diddly about Darkseid until after he created Doomsday and unleashed that on the city. A good director/screenwriter/editor puts that earlier in the movie and shitcans stupid scenes like the whole "special bullet" subplot.

Even if the movie wanted to be decent it couldn't  awesome, for real

Like ok the first thing I said before my brain finishing thawing itself out of sheer boredom as this movie came to a thank god its over end, "ok ok, maybe this just needed an editor to go in and take a weed wacker to this shit." Than my gf pointed out that this is the edited version and I'm like well fuck this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: March 29, 2016, 02:42:29 PM

Hahahahaahahahahahhah.

Shitty movie is shitty.  Stop wasting your time on analysis and just relax and look forward to Suicide Squad.

I'm sure it'll be all kinds of awesome.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:32 PM

relax and look forward to Suicide Squad.

I'm sure it'll be all kinds of awesome.

awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: March 29, 2016, 05:07:55 PM

It will hinge on who is hotter Margot Robbie or Gal Gadot....

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: March 29, 2016, 07:32:56 PM

It will hinge on who is hotter Margot Robbie or Gal Gadot....

Margot... thats barely a competition.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1199 on: March 29, 2016, 08:38:01 PM

That demon was supposed to be Darkseid?

Edit: I finally remembered the last badly strung together and edited film this franchise resembles: PROMETHEUS
Another film that feels like 2/3 of it was missing (and probably was not great, but could've helped explain things).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:40:40 PM by Soln »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: March 29, 2016, 10:03:07 PM

. In fact, I think it was the best live action performances of Superman, Lois, and Zod that anyone has given us.

Whoa, hold up.  No.

Who was the best superman/lois then? Because there have been a few and they were all pretty bad as actors.

I'm pretty sure that after Cavill/Adams comes Cain/Hatcher...

Leaving this here in case anyone doesn't really remember what Reeve/Kidder was like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Sorry but that link you posted actually proves you wrong. Watch Christopher Reeves when he takes off the glasses and briefly debates telling Lois he is Superman. His entire body language changes and he literally looks like two different people. Hell, he visibly grows a few inches taller as he stops slouching. To date he is the only actor to sell me on people not catching on to the whole Superman and Clark Kent thing. It really is a masterpiece of acting.

Margot Kidder just got off of a "date" with Superman and is playing it as her being very distracted and barely even "there". In general though she is a very feisty Lois. And when you watch them you realize the movie was basically aiming for the kind of zany news room antics that were popular in movies around that time.

And really, no one has beaten Terrence Stamp as Zod. Not even close.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: March 29, 2016, 10:34:25 PM

I like how the general consensus online is shifting to "Well if your a casual fan of DCU of course you don't like BVS. This is hardcore only"

Yes yes your movie about how clark kent gives two shits about is job is completely faithful to the DCU.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1202 on: March 30, 2016, 12:21:41 AM

Fanbois gonna fan.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: March 30, 2016, 01:53:28 AM

So, finally got around to watching this after work.  Pretty much  anything I want to say about it has already been said, but honestly, I sincerely hope that whoever in DC is responsible for giving Warner the rights to their movies gets promptly fired, and then beaten to death with stacks of DC comics.  Cause watching this this thing was like watching someone systematically destroy something you ejoyed right in front of you.   I swear, if anyone responsible for this movie actually read a DC comic pretaning to either of the main characters, it would be a goddamned miracle.

Random  spoilersh question that as far as i can tell nobody has asked yet:
Can someone clue me in on exactly what happened in the one dream sequence Wayne has, where you get a vision of him in an "other-world" type setting, where Superman has his own personal army.  There was something wierd going on in the background: giant fountain of lava / burning stuff, something that may or may not have been very large spacecraft hovering over a destroyed city, and the thing with the flying mantid/alien creatures.  The whole thing smacked of a DC flavoured "Days of Future Past" glimpse into a possible future gone bad, especially with the unknown guy trying to warn Bruice about something as he fades out of his spacial distortion.

That whole sequence just struck me as one of those things that you figure should be monumentally important to what is going on, only to be almost immediately forgotten as the movie trudges on with its thing.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: March 30, 2016, 02:16:32 AM

DC is a subsidiary of WB.

As for the dream sequence, it looks like a premonition that Darkseid (Thanos, but DC) will conquer earth and superman will help him because of reasons. Probably Lane related reasons.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:19:06 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: March 30, 2016, 03:59:59 AM

Folks are saying the thing in the dream sequence appears to be not Darkseid but a stylized version of one of two other Apokolips "New Gods": Steppenwolf (one of Darkseid's generals) or Yuga Khan (Darkseid's dad).

I am also seeing that people say that the Omega symbol is seen on the ground during the dream sequence in the film--that's pretty classically a Darkseid thing. The lava in the background is what Darkseid brings to planets he conquers--a firepit that brings the core of the world to the surface so it can be used for power but also just generally to communicate that he's a fucking badass who likes planets to look like trash fires.

From what I'm reading about it, that dream sequence strikes me as riffing off of a Grant Morrison Justice League story that had two parallel plot lines: in the present, the Justice League faces the Injustice League (Luthor, Joker, Ocean Master, Circe, Dr. Polaris, J'emm Son of Saturn) but Luthor has his hands on a magic MacGuffin that is the only thing that keeps Darkseid from conquering Earth. When Superman destroys the MacGuffin to beat Luthor, he inadvertently allows Darkseid to conquer Earth. In the middle of the story, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Flash get sent into the future that Darkseid rules, discovers just how terrible it is, and desperately try to get back to the present in time to stop Superman from destroying the MacGuffin. It was a good story, in particular in making Darkseid's threat way, way more cosmic and evil than it had been even in the early Kirby versioning of the New Gods. A lot of the imagery from that future Earth sounds to me like the stuff in that dream sequence in the film, just clumsily delivered in narrative terms.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1206 on: March 30, 2016, 05:18:30 AM

For someone who is ostensibly a comic book fan Snyder really doesn't seem to be that informed about characterizations or plot points. Compare him to a pop culture savant like Joss Whedon and he comes off as even less adept. It's even worse because Snyder and his script authors basically copied a plot point from Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron and completely messed it up. Iron Man - and by proxy the audience - saw what could happen if Thanos ever encountered Earth in Avengers and the Scarlett Witch gave everyone visions of what can or could have been in AoU - which was also shown to the audience. Avengers: AoE sets up everything you need to know to get why these story beats are very important to the indicidual members of the Avengers, even if you don't know who Thanos is or in fact have no clue about most stuff of the Marvel comic book universe.

By comparison the scenes involving Darkseid seem like the psychotic visions of a mentally deranged person and are presented entirely without context.

DC really has two issues. Firstly that they rely on people who don't seem to "get" comics and who don't know how to relate the dense and somewhat bonkers comic book universe stuff to a large audience. Secondly that they want to replicate the success of Marvel's cinematic universe without having even the slightest clue why Marvel's approach worked.

Marvel has a coherent strategy for all movies set in their cinematic universe. Their movies work as stand-alone movies. They acknowledge the inherent silliness of comic book stories without that silliness necessarily compromising the tone and content of the movie. They acknowldge that a movie can have more layers of tone and character than just dark existential grimness projected by middle aged men and filmed with digitally added chromatic aberation. They use multiple movies to set up larger story lines and to introduce characters and they do the "team up" movies last. I could go on but Marvel treats its films as one coherent universe that is still accessible to people that are not hard core comic fans and it has a wide variety of tones and styles. They also hire people that are familiar enough with their universe and characters and who know how to communicate that to layman audiences.

DC does the Justice League set up movie first and gives audiences no context whatsoever why any of this matters.

It also wasted a perfectly good Batman because Affleck is actually not bad as Bruce Wayne and as the Caped Crusader. He sells the somewhat psychotic single-mindedness and grim demeanor of Batman better than Christian Bale in my opinion. Once you get over the fact that it's Ben Affleck.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: March 30, 2016, 07:36:17 AM

Folks are saying the thing in the dream sequence appears to be not Darkseid but a stylized version of one of two other Apokolips "New Gods": Steppenwolf (one of Darkseid's generals) or Yuga Khan (Darkseid's dad).

I am also seeing that people say that the Omega symbol is seen on the ground during the dream sequence in the film--that's pretty classically a Darkseid thing. The lava in the background is what Darkseid brings to planets he conquers--a firepit that brings the core of the world to the surface so it can be used for power but also just generally to communicate that he's a fucking badass who likes planets to look like trash fires.

Also to Jeff's post. It sounds like there's a Darkseid subplot in this mess of a film that is basically delivered the same way Marvel delivers their fan service easter eggs i.e. it's shown on screen but there's no real attempt to explain to the audiences what it is and no real indication whether its important or not. Except in Marvel's case with those bits it isn't important. Marvel have built up Thanos as a threat consistently and slowly. Avengers was the culmination of step 1 where they showed the danger of alien invasion, Earth is vulnerable to threats from beyond the stars and heroes are needed to save it. Thor builds up Thano as a character by tying him into the Asgardians, although fairly obliquely. GotG finally actually presents Thanos himself as a threat beyond just Earth and what's happening there. Teasing his involvement in AoU brings us what, to film fans by now, is a known threat with the stakes established.

DC seem to have taken similar beats and even some similar plot elements but they've misjudged how to tie it together or explain it to the audience. MoS could be said to build up the threat of extraterrestrial attack, after all Kryptonians are coming from outside to fuck with earth. The problem is that they are tied so closely to Supes that all it does is establish that Superman, if he wanted to be, could be a real and extreme danger to earth and BvS focused on this and lots of 'he can still do harm even trying to save people' stuff. The result isn't to get people thinking about extraterrestrial threats but the moral position and potential danger of Superman. That's an interesting theme potentially but they're trying to stick it into a story about Darkseid plotting to invade earth and Superman being the one being who can save us. I feel like DC has an overall vision they would like their universe to go in and gave a couple of metaplot points to directors that they needed to include and then just let them make their individual movies without further reference or oversight.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1208 on: March 30, 2016, 07:59:08 AM

The entire Darkseid dream sequence is a great example of what's wrong with the movie. It's actually a pretty damn good sequence if you have ANY clue that it's a vision of future earth conquered by Darkseid. Or in other words, if you have ANY context whatsoever about what it is. Unfortunately, it's stuck in the middle of a movie about something else entirely with absolutely no context to the scene and no relation to the rest of the movie other than Bruce Wayne's fears about Superman's unchecked power coming true. Hell, I am a HUGE comics nerd and I didn't even recognize that it was Darkseid and his parademons behind that whole thing, nor did I get that it might actually be one of the New Gods who appears to Bruce Wayne in the boom tube at the end of the sequence (I think it's either Mister Miracle, Orion, Lightray or Takion - unless it actually is the Flash but it didn't look like the Flash). I didn't piece that all together in my head until Luthor's speech to Batman at the end - and I am intimately familiar with a shitton of DC Universe continuity, including the very good Grant Morrison Justice League story Khaldun mentioned. When I looked at the parademons in that sequence, I didn't place them until I put it all together later - I knew they were familiar-looking, but didn't recognize them and quickly forgot about it seconds later as we got back to the actual fucking story.

That sequence was an Easter egg made by a team that doesn't understand how to do Easter eggs. Or subtle, for that matter. It bore no relation to anything that had gone before and its importance only made sense much later in the context of another movie entirely. It was way too long for an Easter Egg. Most of the Avengers' Easter Eggs have been quick hits, short glances, mentions of names and that's about it. They don't break up the flow of the story. This sequence, like all the rest of the movie, just felt like another disjointed scene like all the ones that preceded it, and for fans who don't know Darkseid, which should be a lot of people, it won't make sense until we see that future Earth again (if we do). Bad filmaking is bad.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: March 30, 2016, 08:34:08 AM

The general consensus is that it's the Flash appearing to Batman at the end of the dream. But again, yeah, vague.

What's clear to me is that they're keeping it vague because they don't really have a plan, so they want to be able to scrub over and change anything they did in BvS. You can feel the inner lack of confidence and managerial clarity radiating off of WB. And no wonder--the suits don't know anything, the two guys nominally in charge don't even like comic books and one of them is more or less taking more credit for the Nolan films' success than he's entitled to (Goyer), and the people making the comics are also in a state of terminal creative confusion at the moment and have been for five years. Nobody's driving the bus and nobody really knows where the bus is going except, they hope, to piles of money.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: March 30, 2016, 10:19:16 AM

DC comics been sucking for an exceptionally longer time than 5 years. The only reason the general trash bin that is mainstream comics haven't seeped entirely is because Marvel writers cherry pick from the entire history of characters while DC movie writers are pretty much obsessed with the Dark Knight Returns and refuse to write or do anything that doesn't circle back to that graphic novel.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1211 on: March 30, 2016, 10:31:58 AM

So, finally got around to watching this after work.  Pretty much  anything I want to say about it has already been said, but honestly, I sincerely hope that whoever in DC is responsible for giving Warner the rights to their movies gets promptly fired, and then beaten to death with stacks of DC comics.  Cause watching this this thing was like watching someone systematically destroy something you ejoyed right in front of you.   I swear, if anyone responsible for this movie actually read a DC comic pretaning to either of the main characters, it would be a goddamned miracle.
Nobody is getting fired over this since you assholes are giving them money hand over fist.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:13 AM

awesome, for real

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: March 30, 2016, 11:34:17 AM

420 million worldwide, whatever lesson you hoped they would learn is going to be pretty much the complete opposite.

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1214 on: March 30, 2016, 11:38:46 AM

Looks like P.T. Barnum is still correct.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: March 30, 2016, 12:17:29 PM

I think someone thought Watchmen wasn't a story about what a real superheroes/superman would be like. But instead was a guide to how all superhero stuff should be.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: March 30, 2016, 12:20:19 PM

On the bright side I had a taxi driver the other day comment about how this was one of the worst Marvel movies, Deadpool was far better. He then proceeded to keep referring to superheroes as Marvels (as in, when I was a kid I always had a favourite Marvel) so I'm not sure how badly this is going to affect DCs reputation in the wider population because there's probably not insignificant body of people who aren't even aware this isn't related to the Avengers and the X-Men.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: March 30, 2016, 12:23:12 PM

Actually the drop I predicted apparently already started to show up by Sunday of last weekend. If the movie has a bigger drop this weekend than a "normal" blockbuster would have, then I think there are going to be changes in how the company handles the comic-book films going forward. They don't just want to make their money back on this, they want to be able to print crazy money hats from it, and there is still reason to doubt that they're going to be able to do that. I would guess that if the internals end up painting the film as an underperforming property (the relative yardstick here probably being Marvel/Disney's performance from their franchises) that Goyer will be quietly given some kind of compensatory non-superhero project and paid off otherwise to terms of his contract and that Snyder will be given a producer who keeps him on a very very tight leash. Plus there will be smaller less-known execs who get the guillotine, more or less.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1218 on: March 30, 2016, 12:25:26 PM

I think someone thought Watchmen wasn't a story about what a real superheroes/superman would be like. But instead was a guide to how all superhero stuff should be.

Just most of the comics creators of the '90's and early '00's.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: March 30, 2016, 12:40:12 PM

The thing is, you can even make a Watchman-lite or Miracleman-lite that's for somewhat less sophisticated readers who still iike superheroes in a relatively traditional style. That's what Mark Gruenwald did over at Marvel with the Squadron Supreme limited series--it was a much more comic-book friendly version of the same question (what would happen if superheroes actually took political power and tried to fix the world)?

But the thing to understand is also: that is a HUGE mistake to do that with an established, familiar character that has a long history of other prior interpretations that many people really like. Because to Watchmenize a character is to significantly take a big smelly dump over all other possible versions of that character. You can shift Batman gritty, you can shift him crazy, you can shift him light and funny, you can shift him 'pulp-realistic' but if you shift Batman into "What if a millionaire in our world started dressing up in fetishwear and beating up criminals on the logic that 'criminals fear fetishmen dressed like bats' and 'if they fear me, I can stop crime in my city" you almost can't do anything but expose the ridiculousness of the whole thing. It's a move that only permits you to express distaste for the entire idea of the superhero. (Which is what Alan Moore was doing in Watchman and even in Miracleman.) 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1220 on: March 30, 2016, 01:02:49 PM

It's funny you say that, because Watchmen was originally pitched to Alan Moore because DC had all these Charlton characters they wanted to modernize and do something with, like Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Peacemaker and others. Moore came up with the Watchmen concept, and when he pitched it, DC got cold feet about doing that to heroes with established (albeit less successful) characters. They liked the idea and told him to run with it but on new characters, and DC added the Charlton characters to the DC Universe, some more successfully than others.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: March 30, 2016, 01:51:37 PM

http://imgur.com/gallery/gHZLO I saw this on Reddit today, thought it showcased what makes a good superman.

I liked the animated episode where he got angry when all his attempts to cure cancer were failing.

How many more years of crap are we going to get from DC/WB? We have the suicide squad, the wonder woman and justice league films coming?  Maybe they can sneak in a Red Son of Krypton and reboot the darkness? Where it turns out WE WERE KRYPTON ALL ALONG!

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1222 on: March 30, 2016, 02:23:21 PM

That is a good example of a quality Superman story (although saving her and staying by her while she hung out there... how many people died elsewhere that he could have saved?).  That is the character we don't see on the screen...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1223 on: March 30, 2016, 03:18:06 PM

That's kind of the problem with Superman on screen in these two movies. We don't really see him being much of a good guy other than that one save in Mexico in BVS and the tanker crew in MOS (though he was a part of that crew so it's not like he was going out of his way to save people) and of course saving Lois multiple times (but again that's his girlfriend so not entirely selfless). Other than that, all we see of him is HULK SMASH fights with the Kryptonians, Batman and then Doomsday. We're told he's a hero who saves people but we aren't really SHOWN that. And all of the Clark Kent characterization is with his dad telling him that humans will fear him and attack him.

I thought MOS was a decent setup for an interesting take on the character, but then instead of giving us another movie where he can be Superman and show that he's a hero, they give us a Batman movie with Superman as the villain. It's amazing how many layers of rotten onion you find as you start picking these movies apart, both from the creative execution and the strategic plan.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: March 30, 2016, 04:55:21 PM

Nobody is getting fired over this since you assholes are giving them money hand over fist.
They got no money from me.  I work at a movie theatre.  I get to watch  this shit for free.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: