Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 282974 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #980 on: December 04, 2015, 09:03:19 AM

ultimately it's still Superheroes have some adversity then punch their way to justice and cake plot.

I may just have to use this in a quote for something because it is really sitting well with me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #981 on: December 04, 2015, 09:17:54 AM

I'm really curious to see what happens with the DC universe.  If this is a massive trainwreck, and Suicide Squad and Justice League are train wrecks.... do they cancel the DCCU?  Reboot?  Give free reign to the TV folks to use all characters and escalate their crossover adventures to movies?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #982 on: December 04, 2015, 09:22:24 AM

New Trailer.

That looks a bit better then the last one.  I kind of want to be optimistic, but it's hard.

OK.  Perfect tl;dr.  No need to see this now.

Affleck seems great as Bruce Wayne and really shitty as Batman.  That bat suit looks bloated.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #983 on: December 04, 2015, 11:35:48 AM

They are definitely taking the size of the bat suit from the Dark Knight comics, where 1) Batman was older and much stockier than normally seen and 2) the suit had a lot of built in bullet proofing.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #984 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:45 PM

So, you know how every new Force Awakens trailer makes me want to see that movie more than the last?

This is like... the exact opposite of that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: December 04, 2015, 05:09:48 PM

People aren't feeling that rubbernecking feeling? You don't want to see it just to see what an ugly wreck it is?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #986 on: December 04, 2015, 06:03:30 PM

Not for actual money, no.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: December 04, 2015, 06:35:48 PM

Yeah, although this doesn't look as bad as Fantastic Four I am not giving them money for this.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: December 04, 2015, 07:07:40 PM

I'm going to go watch it, not like I have anything else to do. Either I'll enjoy it or I'll come in here pissing and moaning.  Either way, win/win for me.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #989 on: December 04, 2015, 09:50:35 PM

It's a superhero movie. The chances of me paying money to see it in the theater is real high no matter how much of a trainwreck I think it's going to be.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: December 04, 2015, 11:31:40 PM

I'm really curious to see what happens with the DC universe.  If this is a massive trainwreck, and Suicide Squad and Justice League are train wrecks.... do they cancel the DCCU?  Reboot?  Give free reign to the TV folks to use all characters and escalate their crossover adventures to movies?
Well, as of now they have exactly one movie that currently exists in the "DCCU", which would be Man of Steel.  Assuming DoJ does well and is not considered a critical flop, they then have Suicide Squad as the next movie to actually "expand" the universe, which strikes me as wierd, since that would mean BatFleck does not get his own movie untill well into the DCCU establishment.   I realise they  might be wary of  rubbing some of the shine off the Nolanverse Batman movies by putting bats out there in a solo property too soon, but having one of the tentpole DC franchise characters basicly serve as a backup dancer for several movies just seems like  a critically dumb choice to me.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #991 on: December 05, 2015, 01:05:32 AM

... just seems like  a critically dumb choice to me.

That's pretty much WB's, "Guide to managing the  DC IP," in a nutshell.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #992 on: December 05, 2015, 10:49:02 AM

WB's movie people are gibbering idiots with pretensions of grandeur. As for Batman's solo movies, Affleck is signed for like 11 movies, so you'll see him A LOT. Plus, Dawn of Justice is really not Man of Steel 2, and it sure looks like Batman is getting equal billing with Superman. Which from a movie franchise standpoint, is also idiotic on a grand scale.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: December 05, 2015, 11:21:44 AM

I saw the trailer with the "red capes are coming" and was turned off. Then I read that article about "Son of Luthor" and doing the tech entrepreneur thing and thought, "Oh, well that might be interesting." After seeing him in that trailer... no. Just, no. Which is a shame, because I actually like Jesse Eisenberg.

Yeesh. The DCCU tanking with the TV shows thriving, that sounds like a great outcome to me.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: December 05, 2015, 03:30:33 PM

Well, as of now they have exactly one movie that currently exists in the "DCCU", which would be Man of Steel.  Assuming DoJ does well and is not considered a critical flop, they then have Suicide Squad as the next movie to actually "expand" the universe, which strikes me as wierd, since that would mean BatFleck does not get his own movie untill well into the DCCU establishment.   I realise they  might be wary of  rubbing some of the shine off the Nolanverse Batman movies by putting bats out there in a solo property too soon, but having one of the tentpole DC franchise characters basicly serve as a backup dancer for several movies just seems like  a critically dumb choice to me.

This is all ignoring the fact that they are literally introducing one of their core pillars with basically no build up, not even unconnected movies establishing consumer awareness. There is nothing in these trailers or marketing generally to tell me who WW is or why she's there. She has no relevance. I mean I thought maybe they were just going to kind of ignore her in the movie until the last trailer and then I remembered she was a character. I really don't know why.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: December 06, 2015, 04:23:16 AM

It's going to be at least another two movies or so before any thought of it "tanking" becomes possible. BvS is going to make a lot of money unless it is so vomitously bad that word of mouth kills it in a few weeks. Which I don't think is going to happen.

If Wonder Woman tanks, Goyer and Snyder and the WB suits will put it into a misogynistic penalty box: not their fault, it's a woman. If Suicide Squad tanks, they'll do something similar: not their fault, it's villains and edgy and all that.

It would take Justice League underperforming before they had to admit any problem--that's the equivalent of Fantastic Four or Amazing Spider-Man 2 underperforming. By the time Justice League underperforms, they're going to have at least one or two more DCCU films in production.

The thing is that I would guess they're almost inevitably going to underperform even if they're not shit, because I think somewhere around 2018-19, most people are going to be very very tired of superheroes. Somewhere around there your superheroes are going to have to be in an actually good movie if you want to do big box office.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: December 06, 2015, 11:03:00 AM

The thing is that I would guess they're almost inevitably going to underperform even if they're not shit, because I think somewhere around 2018-19, most people are going to be very very tired of superheroes. Somewhere around there your superheroes are going to have to be in an actually good movie if you want to do big box office.

People have been making that claim since iron man 2, six years ago.  Might as well predict the end of the world with as accurate as those claims have been.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: December 06, 2015, 01:45:40 PM

Arguably Marvel's pretty good output has been holding it all up.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: December 06, 2015, 03:56:28 PM

Put out a decent movie (Ant-Man say) and enough people will watch, put out a piece of shit and it will bomb (F4).  Same as it ever was.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #999 on: December 06, 2015, 04:07:03 PM

Put out a decent movie (Ant-Man say) and enough people will watch, put out a piece of shit and it will bomb (F4).  Same as it ever was.

This. Man of Steel, for all its flaws, was a decent movie. Fantastic Four was total shit and anyone who watched the trailers could see that. Superhero movies will eventually reach a saturation point but the DC stuff will need to be just an utter obvious turd from the first trailer for them to perform bad enough to tank the whole thing. They still won't do as well as Marvel because I think anyone can see that the quality of Marvel movies is higher than what DC is doing.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: December 07, 2015, 02:27:08 AM

No, it wasn't.   swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: December 07, 2015, 04:06:09 AM

It was bad. And I suspect it would have sunk without trace if not for the superman name.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:53 AM

People have been making that claim since iron man 2, six years ago.  Might as well predict the end of the world with as accurate as those claims have been.

I don't think things are that rosy any more.

I wouldn't expect automatic success for anything that isn't Marvel, Superman/Batman, or genuinely a good movie.

I'm not even sure a bad Marvel film would do well without RDJ, Thor, or Cap.

That F4 film would have done far better business a few years ago.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: December 07, 2015, 06:04:52 AM

I'll believe that when you point out one film as bad as that one that did better.

I am the .00000001428%
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: December 07, 2015, 08:06:07 AM

There WAS a F4 a few years ago that did terribly. F4 is just a shitty property.

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: December 07, 2015, 08:27:09 AM

Trouble is, the casting for those were actually good, with the possible exception of Alba, who at least was divine looking ;  with a good cast, it quickly becomes clear that the whole concept of FF doesn't really work on the screen at all well, mostly because of how dated the whole dynamic really is.

Also, DOOM and his motivation sucked absolute balls.  It always amazes me that they can't get someone as straightforward as Doom right.  Putting Mr Charmed on there was a disaster also.  And then you went and rendered Silver Surfer.   Which was kinda hilariously bad.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: December 07, 2015, 08:53:51 AM

Family drama with an inattentive genius father figure, a deformed tough guy, a careless playboy, and a female character that travels from whiny incompetent to capable heroine ... it can work just fine.  The last few attempts sucked because the approach was flawed.  If Marvel can make a notion as dated as Captain America work, a good FF film is certainly possible.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: December 07, 2015, 10:03:11 AM

There WAS a F4 a few years ago that did terribly. F4 is just a shitty property.

The first F4 film made twice as much money on a 30% smaller budget.

It was a bad film that did passable business.

I'll believe that when you point out one film as bad as that one that did better.

Rise of the Silver Surfer.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:05:39 AM by eldaec »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: December 07, 2015, 10:12:41 AM

Family drama with an inattentive genius father figure, a deformed tough guy, a careless playboy, and a female character that travels from whiny incompetent to capable heroine ... it can work just fine.  The last few attempts sucked because the approach was flawed.  If Marvel can make a notion as dated as Captain America work, a good FF film is certainly possible.

I'm not even convinced the approach was the problem. They were just badly made by people phoning it in. Or, in the case of the Chronicle guy, people who are batshit crazy.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:31:45 AM by eldaec »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: December 07, 2015, 10:28:49 AM

Besides the superhero trend started in 2000 with x-men, we reached saturation like a decade ago.

I am the .00000001428%
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: December 07, 2015, 11:18:15 AM

Yup, X2 is still my favourite super hero movie, with Nightcrawler's attack on the White House being the best superhero scene ever shot.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: December 07, 2015, 11:47:43 AM

By the way - the scene that looks like a dream sequence is a dream sequence, per recent interviews. 

http://omelete.uol.com.br/filmes/noticia/ccxp-2015-figurinista-de-batman-vs-superman-confirma-pesadelo-de-bruce-wayne/

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: December 07, 2015, 11:57:42 AM

Facepalm

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1013 on: December 07, 2015, 11:59:47 AM

That facepalm icon needs to be MUCH MUCH bigger if that's true.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: December 07, 2015, 12:06:33 PM

A dream sequence.  Because it worked so well in Avengers.   ACK!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: