Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:00:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 283105 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #595 on: May 14, 2014, 08:07:34 AM

I recognize that there are Superman fans who take issue with his depiction in MoS.  Can someone articulate to me this position?  As a casual fan who has seen the film once and enjoyed it, I note the following:

* Superman in MoS was arguably at his weakest as an untrained and untested farmboy who had heretofore only ever won a bar fight.

*  Suddenly he's faced with someone at least as strong as he is, from the same planet, with the Sun conferring the same benefits, with the only difference being that he was trained from birth in martial arts for war.

*  Superman has an initial advantage in that he has learned to control his powers, to focus his senses and not be distracted by the overwhelming sensory overload, but over the course of their encounter, that advantage quickly dissipates.

*  As the balance of power shifts towards Zod, Zod makes no bones about his intention to eradicate the human race as an act of vengeance.

*Superman finally kills Zod while Zod is trying to use heat vision (which he has just mastered, further indicating his growing power)to murder innocents.  After pleading with him, and struggling to stop him, he finally kills Zod.

So, against that desperate backdrop, it's hard to fathom what else he should have done.  Any contrived solution that you could envision where he incapacitates Zod and they imprison him would be a huge gamble with the lives of the entire human race.

Zod has nothing left to live for, he and Superman are the only two surviving members of their species.  He cannot be reasoned with.  No amount of punching him through a mountain would stop him.  No prison on earth could hold him.

Is what people are really saying is that a Superman story should never put Superman in that position?  That the character's fiction can't allow a choice between the lesser of two evils because the character of Superman always finds a miraculous way to save the day with zero collateral damage? 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:12:36 AM by dusematic »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #596 on: May 14, 2014, 08:26:12 AM

Is what people are really saying is that a Superman story should never put Superman in that position?  That the character's fiction can't allow a choice between the lesser of two evils because the character of Superman always finds a miraculous way to save the day with zero collateral damage? 

I think that's essentially it, yes.  Similar to how Archie comics never deal with teenage pregnancy, Superman comics do not deal with any sort of moral grey area.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: May 14, 2014, 08:29:11 AM

I think that's essentially it, yes.  Similar to how Archie comics never deal with teenage pregnancy, Superman comics do not deal with any sort of moral grey area.

Weird. It's kind of like admitting you're dumb and you like dumb stuff.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: May 14, 2014, 08:34:12 AM

Well, that and the fact that all Zod needed to do was to move his eyes instantly to the right to fry the family, instead of his entire head.  I couldn't stop thinking about that during and after the scene.  I understood why Supes killed him, that was fine.  Christopher Reeve also killed the shit out of his Zod.

I liked MoS better than most around here, but I can think of a few things I didn't like about it:

- There is almost no Superman doing super things endearing him to the general public long before the appearance of the bad guys.  The people don't care about Superman, so why the fuck should we.  
- I disliked virtually everything about Zod.  I much prefer the pure evil that was the original Zod back in the 80s, not to mention Non and Ursa (who herself was responsible for many a confusing dream for my pre-pubescent self).  I didn't need all that backstory for Zod.  I didn't need to find know that he had sorta valid reasons (or at least ones we could relate to) about what he was doing.  I just wanted him to talk in an amazing accent and tell people to kneel before him and ask them why they would say such things to him when they knew he would only kill them.
-As campy as it was, I always liked doofy Clark Kent, bumbling around, knocking over shit and totally looking like Superman only with his hair parted the wrong way, totally pining after Lois Lane.  We got zero of that, and the dynamic between them is now set in stone.

The effects were cooler than shit, and it was otherwise a perfectly fine superhero flick.  

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #599 on: May 14, 2014, 08:39:43 AM

I strongly disliked Man of Steel because it was a very, very poorly executed film.  Nevermind Larry Hagman as Zod and how-does-he-shave and EMO and all the other complaints: it was edited by an incompetent.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: May 14, 2014, 08:40:25 AM

Christopher Reeve also killed the shit out of his Zod.

No.  No, he fucking didn't.  What film did you watch ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #601 on: May 14, 2014, 08:46:31 AM

Captain America found a way cut through the grey so can Superman.

Besides the movie gave Clark a way to imprison Zod the same way he was imprisoned earlier.

"Me am play gods"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: May 14, 2014, 08:50:43 AM

Christopher Reeve also killed the shit out of his Zod.

No.  No, he fucking didn't.  What film did you watch ?

Erm, didn't he pretty much crush his hand, pick him up and toss him against the ice wall where he fell down into some kind of horrible crevice?  Looked pretty death-inducing to me.  What am I missing?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: May 14, 2014, 08:54:42 AM

Being put back into the Phantom Zone?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #604 on: May 14, 2014, 08:59:22 AM

He was suppose to Take the third option and be a hero not the lesser of two evils and be a regular dude.

"Me am play gods"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:43 AM

Seriously, where in the movie is it implied that they all didn't simply die?  I recall nothing, but maybe I missed something.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:18 AM

Comic books are fiction and fantasy.  Any argument that "The real world is nothing but grey areas"  is flawed and just as dumb because superman does not live in the real world.  Superman lives in a fictional world of fantasy and pixie farts and as such he can lift a bus. 

Fantasy movies are about telling stories where a hero can overcome the lesser of two evils, where dreams can be reality.  Gritty realism is fun to watch sometimes and it works with some super heroes like batman but when it comes to superman, the character is already so ridiculous and fantastical in premise that trying to insert realism feels forced and grates on the viewer.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: May 14, 2014, 09:16:04 AM

Seriously, where in the movie is it implied that they all didn't simply die?  I recall nothing, but maybe I missed something.

That's almost incidental.  For a start, they all slid into fog.  Maybe they died, maybe they didn't.

The point is Superman engineered it in such a way that he depowered them and removed the threat.

This whole fucking slew of new age American shit where torturing people and killing them is always the only answer just fucking, fucking, fucking SUCKS especially from your Superheroes who SHOULD KNOW BETTER for the sake of fucking GRIMDARK just makes me so angry.

Look at Cap 2.  That's kinda how you do it.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: May 14, 2014, 09:37:35 AM

Superman is incredibly hard to directly translate to film because of his power level.  His speed, strength, etc... are so off the charts that it is hard to imagine a way to represent a challenge to him using conventional concepts without earth shattering implications.  A fight between Zod and Superman should have destroyed Metropolis without the machine being involved - and done it over the span of a few seconds given their ability to move so fast and their massive power levels.  It is one of the problems that makes DC's challenges much greater than Marvel: Outside of psychological/moral challenges, there is no challenge (outside of Achilles Heels in the form of Kryptonite, Magic, or depowerment stories) that can challenge him without the need for obvious collateral damage on the scale of a nuclear weapon.

Regardless, the critics of the movie point to his code of ethics and his unwillingness to kill and say it should not have been broken in the origen story.  There is definitely a potential for a good story in which his resolve to avoid killing is pushed and exceeded by a particular threat, but it should not be in an introductory story.  That would be like doing a Wolverine origen film in which he loses his healing factor, a Star Trek reboot without the Enterprise, or a Deadpool origen movie in which he is sane.  You don't break the rules in the same breath you establish them.   Basic storytelling.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: May 14, 2014, 09:46:46 AM

That's almost incidental.  For a start, they all slid into fog.  Maybe they died, maybe they didn't.

The point is Superman engineered it in such a way that he depowered them and removed the threat.

Hmm, interesting perspective.  I wonder how many people interpreted it that way when they saw it.  If I was a betting man, I'd guess the average viewer saw him trick them, depower them, and then totally kill Zod.  He also totally crushed the shit out of his hands first, which was a bit unnecessary, no? 

That said, I totally agree with the general point you are making.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #610 on: May 14, 2014, 10:15:49 AM

This whole fucking slew of new age American shit where torturing people and killing them is always the only answer just fucking, fucking, fucking SUCKS especially from your Superheroes who SHOULD KNOW BETTER for the sake of fucking GRIMDARK just makes me so angry.

Look at Cap 2.  That's kinda how you do it.

This. SO MUCH THIS. And I say that as someone who like Man of Steel except the killing.

I've stopped watching TV shows (Hawaii 5-0 and 24) because they were rather cavalier about torturing people and breaking laws and shit. I get tired of that narrative crutch.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: May 14, 2014, 11:22:37 AM

Comic books are fiction and fantasy.  Any argument that "The real world is nothing but grey areas"  is flawed and just as dumb because superman does not live in the real world.  Superman lives in a fictional world of fantasy and pixie farts and as such he can lift a bus. 

Fantasy movies are about telling stories where a hero can overcome the lesser of two evils, where dreams can be reality.  Gritty realism is fun to watch sometimes and it works with some super heroes like batman but when it comes to superman, the character is already so ridiculous and fantastical in premise that trying to insert realism feels forced and grates on the viewer.

What's interesting is taking a person with uncompromising ideals and then placing them in positions that beg for compromise.  That's drama.

Would the "real Superman" allow 7 billion people to die because he was afraid to kill a dangerous and murderous psychopath that was also trying to kill him?  I guess that's an argument but don't act like it's a good thing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #612 on: May 14, 2014, 11:28:46 AM

Not being a Superman fan or anything, do we often see "Technically it was the fall that killed him" which is employed by various other heroes who decide to not save a villain?

Also I didn't watch the end of Man of Steel.  Presumably since the Phantom Zone Stargate is destroyed, something creative had to be done.  Also I missed the part where he must have done something to make someone bald.  However, I find that I do not care due to complete mishandling of the entire movie at the cinematic layer.  I didn't see the one where someone shot a bullet into Superman's eye, but it had to have been better than this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: May 14, 2014, 11:42:02 AM

- Disney Villain Death: Zod's crew after being depowered are knocked down a chasm or fall in while trying to fly. Deleted scenes (used in some TV cuts) reveal that the villains are not, in fact, dead, and are instead arrested by the "Arctic Patrol," but in other cuts, it certainly looks like Superman lets the villains die. Not only that, but it looks like Lois commits her first murder!

Source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/SupermanII
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #614 on: May 14, 2014, 11:45:32 AM

All I ever get from these MoS discussions is some people really really hate Snyder so therefore MoS must have been one of the worst comic book movies made and definitely was not true enough to Superman blahblahblah.

I fucking hate Superman. I don't really like DC in general and it was a watchable movie. The evil girl was hot. The evil guy was ok. The fights were comprehensible considering the speed things were supposed to be going at. It wasn't great but Superman stories aren't very great. The part with his dad and the dog had feels and that was nice. In fact his family stuff was pretty good. The stupid shit with Russel Crowe was stupid but comic stories usually hit you with some junk that could have been left behind.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #615 on: May 14, 2014, 11:50:14 AM

The stuff with Costner is MST3K level badness.

"Me am play gods"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #616 on: May 14, 2014, 12:05:31 PM

The stuff with Costner is MST3K level badness.

Son, you must live in fear and let me die because people are small minded and stupid.  I will also die needlessly because I am equally small minded and stupid for doing things I know you wouldn't have gotten injured doing.

Pa Kent herped all the derps in that movie.  I saw it for the first time last weekend because it's on HBO and I regret not changing the channel.  When I fell asleep 45 mins in without seeing Superman I should have known better.

Also: Supes killed Zod by proxy in SM2. sorry, it's always been interpreted as, "and now the bad guy is dead, having plummeted down a giant pit with now powers."  Unless you believe Elsa and the Nazis lived in the Last Crusade, too.  They also fell down a giant chasm into fog.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #617 on: May 14, 2014, 12:10:00 PM

My main problems with MoS (And I say this as a person that likes some Snyder films, I enjoy the hell out of Watchmen for example):

1) Pa Kent was all wrong. Utterly, utterly wrong. Costner did a good job in the acting department but Pa Kent's main role in Superman is to teach him to be the boyscout he grows up to be. He's the one that instills in him the value of human life and doing the right thing.

2) The fight in Metropolis was wrong on two counts. A) He should have destroyed the machine then lured the villains away. Look at Superman 2, that is what Christopher Reeves did. He fights them briefly, realizes there will be collateral damage and flees to lure them away. and B) Superman has zero emotional reaction to the events that occur in Metropolis and Smallville. I don't want to see him weeping but I would like at least for him to acknowledge how bad it was and perhaps use it as a reason for him to change how he does stuff.

3) We don't get any establishment of him as a hero before Zod shows up. So all the world knows about him is he fought another dude in Metropolis and more or less wiped it off of the face of the Earth.

4) Clark and Lois are one of the central relationships in Superman, yet she only meets him in the last 20 seconds of the movie.

5) Killing Zod was the realistic thing to do. It was not, however,what Superman would do. He'd find another way. When Superman kills it is SHOCKING because it is so rare and I can only think of a handful of times it has happened in the comics.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: May 14, 2014, 12:41:59 PM

Son, you must live in fear and let me die because people are small minded and stupid.  I will also die needlessly because I am equally small minded and stupid for doing things I know you wouldn't have gotten injured doing.

Pa Kent herped all the derps in that movie. 

I'm not a big Superman fan but this possibly my biggest issue, it seems like they really screwed up his parents.  I always thought one of Superman's big background points was that his parents raised him to always do what was right, be good, help others, etc. and that's why he is such a Boy Scout.  That entire scene with his dad seemed to fly in the face of that and be trying to teach him that he should just watch people die rather than reveal himself to anyone.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #619 on: May 14, 2014, 02:12:41 PM

I wasn't sure about any of that because of how the first half of the movie lurched forward like the final scene in Time Bandits.  It was obviously chopped spinach in order to accommodate the too-long actions sequences that lay atop me for the last section of the "film".

I do, now that you mention it, remember a lot of stupid decisions being made.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: May 14, 2014, 02:20:25 PM

Hmm, interesting perspective.  I wonder how many people interpreted it that way when they saw it.  If I was a betting man, I'd guess the average viewer saw him trick them, depower them, and then totally kill Zod.  He also totally crushed the shit out of his hands first, which was a bit unnecessary, no? 

That said, I totally agree with the general point you are making.

Yeah, but it's deliberately vague, I think.  Non fell over.  Ursa got bitchslapped.  Nothing in the scene realllllly said 'MORTAL DANGER' even when he crushed my goddamned hand.

I always thought the fog was just a phantom zone chute, to be honest, but it kinda doesn't matter.

If you think the crushing hand was unnecessary, he went back and kicked FUCK out of the bullying trucker.  So it was BOTH Superman AND Clark getting even to their respective bullies.

Rather neat, I thought.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: May 14, 2014, 02:23:06 PM

Unless you believe Elsa and the Nazis lived in the Last Crusade, too.  They also fell down a giant chasm into fog.

Man, you're funny.  You really think Elsa died ?

Nature may abhor a vacuum, but the universe also knows when to preserve some fine blonde ass.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: May 14, 2014, 02:47:12 PM

4) Clark and Lois are one of the central relationships in Superman, yet she only meets him in the last 20 seconds of the movie.

It's a terrible movie, but I keep seeing people post this and I really have no fucking clue how you missed the large segment of the film where Lois Lane tracks down Clark Kent and says "hey you're superman" then gives him a reason to have faith in humanity and loses her job over it before Zod even arrives on Earth.

I mean, the film is dull, and I'm the guy who couldn't even remember the villain in Amazing Spider-Man 18 months after I saw it, but seriously, were you watching a different edit or something?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:51:32 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #623 on: May 14, 2014, 03:38:11 PM

He means that Clark Kent, Daily Planet Reporter is out of the picture until the last 20s.  Not "Hey, intrepid Journalist tracks down mystery alien guy" Clark Kent.   Which, since she'd done so before meant they were fucking with the whole origin story because she knows who this reporter is.

I get why people were fucked about it.  It bothered me she knew, but less than it bothered me that she did it while the Government that had a real reason to do the same shit after a confimed UFO flew away didn't.  "Hey where's Jim at?" "Dunno, ship flew off and he was gone. Coincidences, eh!?"

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: May 14, 2014, 05:51:41 PM

Didn't we have a thread for this?  awesome, for real

I enjoyed MoS, have seen a few times. I get what people are bitching about. It had its flaws. But the rage is disproportionate this being the fourth origin story over six films. The last one was bunk and while I liked the first to Christopher Reeves ones, they don't hold up. I also don't care much at all about comics, though the brief Return of Superman series was kinda interesting (except for that godawful Steel movie it spawned).

As to the Batman shot now a page back: looked ok. Only thing I don't like is the bat symbol. Don't care what it's evocative of. It looks dumb.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: May 14, 2014, 07:40:27 PM

Look, it's really kind of stupid to say, "Oh, man, it's REALISTIC that he just got his powers and he's facing a soldier from his own planet and so it's just so REALISTIC that he would get into a fight and not know what to do and buildings get knocked down and stuff."  This is pretty much from Planet Rob Liefield, where men have steroidal muscles and guns and ladies have no feet, tits the size of an asteroid and waists that make hourglasses look fat. This is where DC Comics as a whole is dialed into right now, looking for guys who think that if comics were REALISTIC there would be more limbs torn off and blood and shit.

Yes, sure, you want to give Superman a dramatic choice. That's the only thing you CAN do with the character. You either need to show how he manages, somehow, to make his way through an impossible dilemma or you need to show him *failing* to do so. But to make him *failing* to do so, you have to establish that he has a track record of NOT failing, that he's a Boy Scout and pure of heart and all that shit. Man of Steel didn't earn that at all. He's got a fuckstupid Pa Kent who doesn't given him any kind of moral compass besides "hide, son, because you're a mutant and the Sentinels are gonna getcha, let me die, I was gonna blow my brains out next week anyway". So there's no dramatic tension here, because this character hasn't been established as anything besides a mopey whiner who wanders around growing his beard and being afraid of everything. Who cares if he destroys half the planet in fighting, we don't really know whether that bothers him or not.

If you want to tarnish the armor, you have to polish it first. This movie couldn't be bothered. Which is going to be the problem with the next one--they're trying to do Miller's Dark Knight (the picture is big big proof of that) without the characters having ANY history with each other. They're using a story as a template that requires the two of them have known each other for decades. This is all tell, no show.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: May 14, 2014, 08:56:30 PM

Didn't we have a thread for this?  awesome, for real

I enjoyed MoS, have seen a few times. I get what people are bitching about. It had its flaws. But the rage is disproportionate this being the fourth origin story over six films. The last one was bunk and while I liked the first to Christopher Reeves ones, they don't hold up. I also don't care much at all about comics, though the brief Return of Superman series was kinda interesting (except for that godawful Steel movie it spawned).

As to the Batman shot now a page back: looked ok. Only thing I don't like is the bat symbol. Don't care what it's evocative of. It looks dumb.

Rage isn't my feeling about MoS. It can best be summed as 'meh'. It had some cool action sequences and moments here and there were good but it just seemed like a miss overall.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #627 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:09 PM

Unless you believe Elsa and the Nazis lived in the Last Crusade, too.  They also fell down a giant chasm into fog.

Man, you're funny.  You really think Elsa died ?

Nature may abhor a vacuum, but the universe also knows when to preserve some fine blonde ass.

The tentacle monsters would find more use in a female captive anyway to breed.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: May 15, 2014, 12:49:02 AM

Rage isn't my feeling about MoS. It can best be summed as 'meh'. It had some cool action sequences and moments here and there were good but it just seemed like a miss overall.

The whole thing is "Oh gee, those new Batman movies are doing well, let's copy that but with Superman."

But that tone doesn't work for a Superman movie. Superman isn't The Dark Knight.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: May 15, 2014, 01:21:00 AM

Also, even Batman didn't kill anyone.  Except arguably Dent.  Which, if I remember right, we all didn't like much.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: