Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 283096 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: December 05, 2013, 12:31:03 PM

I didn't like Xena TWP show, but even I have to admit that a Lucy Lawless type would be the ideal way to go for WW.  At least Xena looked like she would pick up a sword without passing out. The actress they have now looks like she would have difficulty lifting WW's bracelets.

Waif-Fu be dammed. It was shit even when they had monsters throwing themselves backwards pretending to be hit hard from Buffy, and she was a bodybuilder compared to this woman.

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: December 05, 2013, 12:41:42 PM

How tall is this lady?

That's what is going to be really jarring for me, if she turns out to be 5 foot nothing standing beside Batman and Superman.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #387 on: December 05, 2013, 12:51:03 PM

5' 9" (175 cm)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: December 05, 2013, 01:14:32 PM

Cavill is 6'1" and Afflec is 6'4"

Even at 5'9" she's gonna look tiny.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: December 05, 2013, 01:18:10 PM

Is Afflec really that tall? Damn, wouldn't have guessed that.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: December 05, 2013, 01:24:52 PM

She's not an actress and she is short, but I think Jillian Michaels could credibly play Wonder Woman. She has the physique and the attitude of an amazon woman.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: December 05, 2013, 01:43:17 PM

Is Afflec really that tall? Damn, wouldn't have guessed that.

One of the best places to see his size is movies like Chasing Amy and Goodwill Hunting. He towers over everyone.

But the height thing doesnt bother me, they can do all sorts of camera tricks. It's more or less that her build is... tiny.

beer geek.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: December 05, 2013, 08:28:52 PM

Why do you guys keep saying Waif-Fu? The term is waifu, and it doesn't mean waif, it means wife.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: December 05, 2013, 08:56:50 PM

Speaking as Joe Q. Public (someone who was never into the comic book scene), the first thing you expect from Wonder Woman is that she is stupidly, ridiculously good looking.  I cannot think of an incarnation of WW that I have ever seen - including very limited comic book exposure, the old TV show, the Saturday morning cartoons, and even as she appeared in the DC Universe trailers - where she wasn't just soul crushingly gorgeous.  That she is also a bit voluptuous at the same time is also sort of expected, though that can be helped to a degree by the costume itself...but certainly not as rail thin as this chick appears to be.  There is a very short list of current actresses or celebrities that currently fit or could be made to fit this ideal.  Even if you beef up this Gal Gardot (or whatever her name is) up a bit, she isn't a match.

Short list of humans who, IMO, could be WW:

Scarlett Johansson - Obviously it can never happen, but she is probably the closest thing to a perfect match if you make her hair raven black.
Megan Fox - I know she is annoying as all fucking hell, but I think we all remember a scene or two from the Transformers movies where we forgot to breath for a couple seconds.  She would need more meat on her bones, and I imagine a bit of kung fu training.
That slightly chubby girl that has a TV show currently - Can't remember her name at all.  She would need to lose weight, but fuck me if she couldn't be cleaned up something nice.  Wish I could recall her name.  Somebody here knows who I am talking about.  I think she was even mentioned before as a candidate.
Katy Perry - don't laugh, think about it.  She cleans up disturbingly well.  She looks exactly like Wonder Woman, and it didn't occur to me until just right now.

And that's all I can think of.

Cyrrex - you totally mean Kat Dennings, right? From Two Broke Girls?  Because I totally agree.

*Should be working*
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:36 PM

Speaking as Joe Q. Public (someone who was never into the comic book scene), the first thing you expect from Wonder Woman is that she is stupidly, ridiculously good looking.  I cannot think of an incarnation of WW that I have ever seen - including very limited comic book exposure, the old TV show, the Saturday morning cartoons, and even as she appeared in the DC Universe trailers - where she wasn't just soul crushingly gorgeous.  That she is also a bit voluptuous at the same time is also sort of expected, though that can be helped to a degree by the costume itself...but certainly not as rail thin as this chick appears to be.  There is a very short list of current actresses or celebrities that currently fit or could be made to fit this ideal.  Even if you beef up this Gal Gardot (or whatever her name is) up a bit, she isn't a match.

Scarlett Johansson - Obviously it can never happen, but she is probably the closest thing to a perfect match if you make her hair raven black.
Megan Fox - I know she is annoying as all fucking hell, but I think we all remember a scene or two from the Transformers movies where we forgot to breath for a couple seconds.  She would need more meat on her bones, and I imagine a bit of kung fu training.
That slightly chubby girl that has a TV show currently - Can't remember her name at all.  She would need to lose weight, but fuck me if she couldn't be cleaned up something nice.  Wish I could recall her name.  Somebody here knows who I am talking about.  I think she was even mentioned before as a candidate.
Katy Perry - don't laugh, think about it.  She cleans up disturbingly well.  She looks exactly like Wonder Woman, and it didn't occur to me until just right now.

Cyrrex - you totally mean Kat Dennings, right? From Two Broke Girls?  Because I totally agree.

Goodness gracious yes.  Thanks.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: December 05, 2013, 10:24:56 PM

Why do you guys keep saying Waif-Fu? The term is waifu, and it doesn't mean waif, it means wife.
Waif + Fu (as in Kung).  Waif fighting girls.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: December 05, 2013, 11:13:06 PM

Except that if she was wonderwoman, practically 90% of the audience would mentally have to suppress the constant urge to wonder why Thor does not have a cameo appearance in the movie.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: December 06, 2013, 01:09:56 AM

Huh?  Was she the nerdy girl in Thor?  If so, I totally never noticed that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:19 AM

Seriously ?

Is it because she wore a coat all the time ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: December 06, 2013, 02:03:57 AM

Well, probably, yeah. I wanna say she was wearing some kind of hat, too.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:07 AM

She was.

I feel for the lassie, I think most people just remember the paps.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: December 06, 2013, 02:17:58 AM

She has an impressive set to be sure, but that isn't the the part of her that does it for me. Those eyes kill me, and don't even get me started on the lips.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: December 06, 2013, 02:19:02 AM

Then I shall not.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:43 PM

Don't feel bad. I didn't make the connection until schpain mentioned it (and Ironwood's explanation is about right). I blame biology and genetics and shit.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: December 06, 2013, 02:03:35 PM

Don't feel bad. I didn't make the connection until schpain mentioned it (and Ironwood's explanation is about right). I blame biology and genetics and shit.

She got kind of dressed down so she wouldn't risk coming across as the sexy one over Portman.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: December 06, 2013, 02:58:45 PM

Really, there are only three reasons to cast her as Wonder Woman (including hair color).  She has never shown the right acting chops for such a role, and her facial features are all wrong.  Regardless, I still maintain they should have gone for a quality actress from Greece (or elsewhere in the Mediterranean) even if she was not a known name in the US.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: December 08, 2013, 08:46:37 AM

Goodness gracious yes.  Thanks.

I have no idea who that is but I would also like to thank you.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #407 on: December 10, 2013, 04:33:20 AM

I haven't seen the woman cast as Wonder Woman in anything, and have read that she was a fitness instructor in the Israeli Military, but she lacks the build. Wonder Woman needs to be able to eyeball Superman and look like she can take him down (which she can).

It makes Megan Gale - who was almost Wonder Woman in the JLA film - a great choice by comparison.

But we'll see.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: December 10, 2013, 07:40:51 AM

Thread seems to have degenerated into complaining about Hollywood casting on the basis of looks as demonstrated by hiring an actress who the f13 community deem innappropriate because of her looks.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: December 10, 2013, 08:09:50 AM

Irony is delicious.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: December 10, 2013, 08:50:32 AM

There's no irony there.

If someone isn't right for the role because she doesn't 'fit', that's not really complaining about her 'looks'.  That's saying that we can't quite see her as this character we've lived with.

Hollywood, of course, sees things different, which is entirely up for grabs to complain about, since they have an ideal that appeals and you KNOW they have an ideal that appeals, so even arguing with it is pointless.

It's not her looks.  Wonder Woman Should be Beautiful.  It's the standard of that beauty that I'm kind of objecting to.  I just don't 'see' it yet.  Maybe I'll be wrong.  Who knows.  Maybe she'll bulk up, fill out, have a distracting costume, play it perfectly, whatever.

But right now I really, really don't see it because above all I want to have some willing suspension of disbelief that will draw me into the film.  Look at all the Avengers cast.  They all worked because actually, at the heart of it, all of them looked like the comic counterparts, even Black Widow.  The worst one was Renner, but since no-one gives a shit about Hawkeye, who cares ?

But Wonder Woman has a very, very, very iconic look and getting that right is important.  Superman is just a badge.  Batman is just a cowl.  They've both proved any arsehole can do it.  Wonder Woman needs a little more care, I think.

And I don't see The Stick working for me.

Delighted to be wrong.  People said the same thing about Ledger.  Look how THAT turned out.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:38 AM

Given that they hired someone most people never heard of, and the title doesn't have wonder woman in it, my guess is none of this will matter as it will end up being a 3 line cameo that gets recast twice before we see a Justice League film.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: December 10, 2013, 12:16:41 PM

Not looks - physicality.  She does not have the physical body to be Wonder Woman.  If they were making a movie about the life of Andre the Giant and cast Peter Dinklage in the role, it'd be ridiculous.  It would not be bad because Dinklage is a bad actor, or because he can't portay the actions and reactions of Andre, but because his physicality does not match the role.  A thin frame is not suitable for an Amazon Princess.  Gal's frame is more appropriate for other characters.

I just don't see us ever believeing that her frame could stop a truck.

And we're now hearing that we have Superman, Batman, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor and Doomsday in this thing?  And, apparently, there is discussion of what it would take to meld this movie continuity with the Arrow TV show continuity (setting Man of Steel at the current Arrow season).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:26:52 PM by jgsugden »

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: December 10, 2013, 03:34:37 PM

And we're now hearing that we have Superman, Batman, Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor and Doomsday in this thing?  And, apparently, there is discussion of what it would take to meld this movie continuity with the Arrow TV show continuity (setting Man of Steel at the current Arrow season).

God I hope not.  Arrow is too good for the DC cinematic universe to fuck it up.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #414 on: January 17, 2014, 09:29:35 PM

Pushed back to May 2016.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: January 18, 2014, 02:14:14 PM

Pushed back to May 2016.
And I expect we'll get an announcement soon that Justice League hits summer 2017...

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: January 18, 2014, 04:56:15 PM

Wonder Woman is 6' tall and is able to beat up anybody short of Superman without breaking a sweat. I think you'd have trouble finding an actress that tall and that built who could actually act though two that come to mind for me are Tricia Helfer and Gina Carano.

Gina is only a so-so actress. I quite enjoyed her in Haywire but it played to her strengths. (brutal fight scenes!)

However, she has the right build and looks tough. Unfortunately she is only 5'8". Tricia Helfer is 5'10 1/2 and is a better actress but she'd have to add some muscle.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: January 18, 2014, 05:57:56 PM

And Martin Freeman is far too tall to play Bilbo.

Computers man. Computers  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #418 on: January 18, 2014, 07:03:39 PM

And Martin Freeman is far too tall to play Bilbo.

Computers man. Computers  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
If computers can make that waif with the toothpick arms look like Wonder Woman, then they might as well just CGI her whole role.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: January 18, 2014, 08:09:14 PM

Who, Riggswolfe's choice? Looks fine for the part to me. It's not like the movie goer is going to notice if she's 4" too short for the role. That's so within the margin of error of what a computer could correct (again, see: Bilbo) that it wouldn't even be heavy lifting. And really, it's not like I needed to dig deep for Freeman. They've been making Arnold Schwarzenegger look tall for 30 years.

Also, let's keep this in perspective. We're talking Wonder Woman here. If they can change Superman three times in one generation and have a short kinda scrawny Batman in a trilogy of largely enjoyable and financially successful enough movies, they can kinda do whatever the heck they want with a character that hasn't had any screen time since before Buck Rogers era TV. They're only going to piss off a rounding error's worth of movie ticket buyers no matter what they do.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: