Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 283102 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #140 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:13 PM

They could get Micheal Keaton for 20 times less money, and that would have people chattering too.

Sounds good to me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: August 15, 2013, 04:54:35 PM

And yet the Bond franchise, for as bad as some of those movies have done, have gone along just fine with new actors playing Bond (as well as a lot of the supporting cast as well).

I think people actually want the person playing Bond to change over time. Ideally each actor would get three-four films as Bond, then they get someone new in.

Is that what people want, or is that just what they expect?

Doesn't matter which it is. People expect it, therefore they want whatever the new Bond is. Bond films have to really suck to seriously lose the audience and that has a bit to do with the Bond in question seeming a bit old hat and a lot to do with the film really, really sucking.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #142 on: August 15, 2013, 06:14:09 PM

Also Unsub, if you want to see fan backlash imagine the nerd rage if the Nolan/Bale Batman is "tarnished" by being put into a crap Superman movie that ends up around 50% on Rotten Tomatoes.

True. But if that's the case, having Bale wasn't the problem with the film. It was then the script or the director.

If a new actor - say one person who's be tapped to be Batman before and but the Justice League movie didn't take, Armie Hammer - takes on the role, and the film flops, then studio heads would roll because they didn't get Bale.

It's a case of making the safe, conservative decision of getting Bale or risking it on a new actor who may or may not deliver.

Personally I'm fine with a new actor for Batman. And a director who can actually shoot decent fight scenes, unlike Nolan.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: August 16, 2013, 06:14:09 PM

It's a case of making the safe, conservative decision of getting Bale or risking it on a new actor who may or may not deliver.
This. It's all about ROI. These movies cost to much to take unnecessary chances. A Hollywood exec ASSUMES Bale is Batman in this movie in the same breathe they assume Cavill is. 10 years ago they'd ASSUME it's George Clooney. 20 years ago it'd have been Keaton.

All the talk of Batman being some cultural icon suit anyone can fill the role of is bullshit in their minds because they don't make movies about suits. They make movies about actors and actresses who play roles in stories.

Bond works because we're all used to decades of new actors. But dig up some exec from the transition era from Connery to Moore and ask them what kind of risk they thought they were taking (and have smelling salts ready for when they remember Lazenby). And THEN layer that wiith the anticipation of a match up that has NEVER been told outside of comic books only the truly hardcore geeks are even aware of, and certainly not in the brainspace of anyone making a decision about bankrolling a $100mm+ flick.

This is where the realities of the business decision making engine run smack into the creative expectations of fans.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: August 16, 2013, 06:30:43 PM

Moore wasn't that much of a risk. He had already been playing a bond-ish character for quite some time with The Saint. He even made a couple of movies as The Saint, as it happens.

The thing people forget about Lazenby is that the studios were actually very happy with him. He just turned down the role of Bond as he didn't want to do it anymore. He was actually pretty good in the one film he was in, but people can't look at it now without picking out the faults as "there had to have been some reason he was dropped."

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: August 16, 2013, 06:48:27 PM

OHMSS was a financial, artistic, and critical success, broadly in line with the rest of the Bond canon.

I don't know where people get the idea from that it was either bad or unsuccessful. It is no From Russia with Love, but it is a better film than anything Piers Brosnan has ever been involved in.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:50:17 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: August 16, 2013, 07:25:52 PM

Moore wasn't that much of a risk. He had already been playing a bond-ish character for quite some time with The Saint. He even made a couple of movies as The Saint, as it happens.

The thing people forget about Lazenby is that the studios were actually very happy with him. He just turned down the role of Bond as he didn't want to do it anymore. He was actually pretty good in the one film he was in, but people can't look at it now without picking out the faults as "there had to have been some reason he was dropped."

I'm not talking about retrospect. I'm talking about the specific period when the people bankrolling films had to accept a transition away from Connery (before layering in the ++ stress of a long-in-coming matchup). Decades and a few Bonds later, it's no more an issue than there being 50 Dr Who's. Shit, a second Kirk actor wasn't any more of an issue than a second BA Baracus because in both cases the prior presentations of those characters were for completely different generations of viewers.

Five years from now a non-Bale Batman in a Superman/Batman mashup is probably fine if you accept what I said even earlier about needing to spend a chunk of movie establishing both actors in the roles, possibly enough to require a trilogy or establishing single-character movies leading into.

But this is coming soon enough after Dark Knight Rises that the execs really think Bale is required.

With all that said, I personally don't care. But nobody's made a movie targeting me in 15 years. I'm just trying to see this from the business manager angle.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: August 18, 2013, 11:09:36 AM

To all those thinking that Bale isn't necessary to Batman, consider the screams of outrage every time someone tries to release a Batman game without using Kevin Conroy
Hey there's an idea: cast some random bloke as Batman and have Kevin Conroy overdub him.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: August 18, 2013, 12:00:00 PM

lol.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: August 19, 2013, 07:31:15 AM

Let's fuck with things and give it to Idris Elba.

beer geek.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: August 22, 2013, 07:04:35 PM

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: August 22, 2013, 07:53:47 PM

Shine on, you crazy Diamond, DC.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: August 22, 2013, 08:00:17 PM

Hey, I have an idea. Let's get the guy that fucked up the closest equivalent to Batman in the Marvel Universe...

I am dumb-fucking founded by this casting.  I thought I was pessimistic about this film before, but now I'm dreading it.  I could be surprised, but the odds seem to be getting longer and longer...

And let's all be honest: If you lined up all of the Batmen you've ever seen on screen and had to pick one that you'd guess Affleck would end up being most like, who would it be?  After Daredevil, I've got to go Kilmer.

Ugh.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: August 22, 2013, 08:16:26 PM

The first image that came to mind on reading this news:

beer geek.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: August 22, 2013, 08:37:21 PM

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 22, 2013, 08:44:59 PM

Wow, they have just made it so that I would probably pay money NOT to see this movie.

Hic sunt dracones.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:14 PM

And now paying $60 million for Bale looks even less crazy.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #157 on: August 22, 2013, 09:15:19 PM

That's it, I'm out.  Ben Fucking Afflek?  He's a decent director, but as an actor...he's a decent director.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #158 on: August 22, 2013, 09:51:17 PM

OHMSS is my favourite Bond film ever.

Affleck?  What the Pope resign or something?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #159 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:44 PM

-Rasix
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:43 PM

Ben Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms yo!
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 22, 2013, 11:00:42 PM

Expect.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #162 on: August 23, 2013, 01:42:41 AM

BUT GUYS PEOPLE EXPECT BATMAN TO BE PLAYED BY RANDOM JACKASSES

hahahaha, Affleck.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:25 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #164 on: August 23, 2013, 04:37:44 AM

BUT GUYS PEOPLE EXPECT BATMAN TO BE PLAYED BY RANDOM JACKASSES

hahahaha, Affleck.

To be fair the argument was random actors.  Only crazy people consider Affleck a real actor rather than a guy who rode his more talented friends coattails.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:51 AM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 23, 2013, 06:09:48 AM

ACK!

Well. Trying to think of what they're thinking. Not able to think of it. It isn't even worth trying to nerd-reason out the consequences.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #167 on: August 23, 2013, 06:49:40 AM

Does Affleck even have a specific audience demo that likes him any more?  I have a feeling he lobbied for the role to try and revive his acting career.

I also predict that there will be a loud, negative reaction to this from the comic book fanbase, enough to get him removed.  Going out on a limb there, but what the hell.

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #168 on: August 23, 2013, 07:09:59 AM

Does Affleck even have a specific audience demo that likes him any more?  I have a feeling he lobbied for the role to try and revive his acting career.

I also predict that there will be a loud, negative reaction to this from the comic book fanbase, enough to get him removed.  Going out on a limb there, but what the hell.

That can't happen. I mean, he played a comic book author already!! What more does he have to prove?!?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 23, 2013, 07:10:34 AM

suck it geeks. You wanted to be mainstream and this is what you got.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 23, 2013, 07:11:36 AM

so the buttsex guy from mallrats is gonna be batman?
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 23, 2013, 07:28:45 AM

I also predict that there will be a loud, negative reaction to this from the comic book fanbase, enough to get him removed.  Going out on a limb there, but what the hell.

So, I don't like the pick. I like Affleck well enough, both as a director and an actor, but I just don't see the fit. Given his success in directing/acting as is, I'm not sure he has to revive anything. Dude was just up for oscars.

As for the negative reaction. It's there , but not nearly enough to get him removed. Has that ever ever happened?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:31:26 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #172 on: August 23, 2013, 08:26:25 AM

I'm a bit ambivalent. I like Affleck as both actor and director. I think he'll be fine as Bruce Wayne. I'm not entirely sure he'll be good as Batman but I think that's going to be down more to the director than the actor as to how he's played.

I think this is more about who gets to direct the Justice League movie than it is who gets to play Batman. The studio likely wanted an actor who was willing to commit a good bit to their franchises - more than most actors will want to do. Affleck probably said "let me direct the Justice League and you can pay me less and I'll sign up for umpteen pictures." And if he directs Justice League, that is a good thing.

As for Affleck in Daredevil, the problems with that movie had fuckall to do with who was playing the main character. That movie started going bad with the writer and director, went on into poor studio choices and ended with poor editing choices.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #173 on: August 23, 2013, 08:35:00 AM

He doesn't have enough lip charisma for Batman.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 23, 2013, 08:45:56 AM

Let's go through the checklist:

1.) An actor that failed as Marvel's 'Poor Man's Batman,
2.) A storyline based upon a long standing relationship between two heroes,
3.) Locking a foundational franchise in their combined universe into a 41 year old actor with no geek cred, and
4.) An actor that tried to play 'gravitas' repeatedly and always come off like his character from Mallrats.

I'm usually a benefit of the doubt kind of guy, but I'd be shocked if this is not a trainwreck.  I applaud WB for the balls to make a decision that their fandom will hate because they think they know better... but if the Comic Con 2014 footage does not blow us away, they're going to be SCREWED.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  
Jump to: