Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mad Max 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Max  (Read 11717 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: July 19, 2013, 08:16:51 PM

Mad Max the game. Coming in 2014. I'm torn on the potential. It could be complete shit, but even if it is, I'll probably enjoy the hell out of it because it's fucking MAD MAX.

First gameplay trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN28TV7mA50 Needs more goddamn Aussie in it though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:51:57 PM

I feel I should point out this is being developed by the same studio that made the fantastically entertaining sandbox of destruction Just Cause 2. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? If they can retain that level of player freedom and set it in a post-apocalyptic Australia, it's going to be great.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:27 PM

I feel I should point out this is being developed by the same studio that made the fantastically entertaining sandbox of destruction Just Cause 2.

And that's why I'll be buying it despite an IP I couldn't give a shit about.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:18 PM

I am so glad they managed to capture the major character markers for max without modeling the face after Mel Gibson.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:34 AM

So that looks great, and I loved Just Cause 2. But is this tied to a new Mad Max movie, or just another hitting of the archives for a dormant but still well known brand?
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:40:33 AM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:56:20 AM

Yea that's the one I found. But it already being mid summer, and that being slated for a year from now, and it resurrecting a dormant but recognizable brand, I would have expected to hear something about it already, especially before the video game.

Which makes me wonder if this is not a video game movie and instead just an inspired-by game. Looks too good to be just a straight up video game movie smiley
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:36:33 AM

I think it's a general attempt at a resurrection of the Mad Max brand, like Conan got with Age of Conan and Conan 3D (lol).

I'd agree the game doesn't look like it's connected to an upcoming movie, those games tend to be much more specific in titling (Mad Max: Roads of Fury) to associate better. This is just Mad Max, which could be any or all of the movies.

Besides, the game looks a lot like the old Gibson movies, which I think the new movie won't. The movie will likely do away with the leather jackets and goofy punk look for a more modern, cynical appearance.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 11:23:34 AM

In the apocalypse, all that remain are skinny jeans?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:50:59 AM

The game is simple, no frills, but extra fun if you like the setting AND car bashing, smashing, racing and all. This is from the people who make the Just Cause games, so you can have an idea of what to expect. It seems shallow for an open world game but there's car customization and stuff that blows up which is rewarding.

What can I say. I "have to" pick an AAA title every now and then and so far I am not regretting this at all, it's pretty much what I was expecting it to be, including the ridiculously easy hand-to-hand combat.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 01:05:17 PM

This is from the people who make the Just Cause games
Well, that certainly changes my opinion of it. Just Cause 2 was an amazing game. Shallow, but the best translation of action movie to game I've played.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 01:28:40 PM

Execution seems pretty flawless so far. And the framerate is impressively high on the lower-spec machine I tried it on. Before going on with the purchase I read around for gambreaking bugs but there seem to be none.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 02:20:07 PM

I've been playing it a lot as well. It's pretty much Farcry Apocalypse. Graphics seem a bit consoley, but it runs smooth and it's about the only game I've ever played with motion blur on, just for hitting nitro. Is it game of the year? No. Is it a steaming pile of shit? Definitely not.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:02:23 PM

Is it just open world Twisted Metal, or is there on-foot stuff, gunplay, platforming, etc.? I had dismissed it out of hand when I heard of it because movie games are almost as bad as game movies, but I've heard nothing but positive about it lately.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 06:33:30 PM

I am hearing repetition from folks I know. Also not *enough* Twisted Metalism--lots of 'pick up scrap, gather fuel, collect 50 boar livers" repetition.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 12:33:59 AM

It's not more repetitive than any other recent 'open world' game. The bigger criticism, which is fair, is that there are too many side quests and not enough main story quests, but the gameplay is solid so it bothers me less than it does in everything else. There's a huge amount of Twisted Metal, but there's getting out of your car too which, again, works for me. These days if you couldn't get out of the car seamlessly (as in GTA or Far Cry), people would complain. Personally, I like that you have to get out for gas and loot as it feels very organic. "Collect 50 boar livers" is not the game I am playing so I don't know where that is coming from.

To answer Rendakor, there is on-foot stuff but it seems 'light' so far. No real gunplay, it's mostly mash ONE button to waste hordes of enemies, and no real platforming. The car stuff is the meat of it.

EDIT: Joypad strongly recommended.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:21:30 AM by Falconeer »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 07:15:51 AM

The bigger criticism, which is fair, is that there are too many side quests and not enough main story quests,...

So you meant to say the main story is too short by this, right? Because as stated you can level the same criticism at Fallout and Skyrim, too and I don't think anyone complains there's too many side quests there.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 07:42:22 AM

I haven't finished the game. What I filtered through the noise is that there are "too many" side quests that actually gate you from advancing the main story. Maybe they aren't side quest, let's say they are generic fillers that you need to run a few of before you get to a "level" that unlocks the next steps of the main story. I said "it's fair" because I understand the criticism especially if the non-story gating content is dull and hollow, and when it comes to that I can't say much as I have only put five hours into the game. But I agree with you (I think?) that the complaint is ignoring the fact that this is par for the course for this kind of games. As for when we try to assess the metrics for "grind", I'd say a lot of this is subjective.

The driving car-mayhem gameplay is very solid. Don't care much about the rest.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 10:52:28 AM

Oh well that's a different matter entirely and pretty damn stupid. Filler quests as gate are just cock-blocks to pad gameplay hour stats. Let folks finish quick and explore if they want, it's an open world.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 12:06:43 PM

For those of us who play slowly, it really kills the pacing, too.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 12:28:17 PM

Not sure about that. I play super-slowly and I am not even noticing the gating because of my snail pace. Maybe we mean something else with slow, but my point is that I do not rush the story. I just fool around, try new things, complete a few task and achievements, and most importantly explore everything. Playing that way I am not noticing any gate because supposedly I unlock them while I do my random wandering. I think you probably notice these artificial cockblocks only if you try to rush the plot. The point still stands, they are artificial and suck, but they don't seem that invasive to me so far. I mean, if it wasn't for the fact that I READ about it, I wouldn't even know they are there.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 07:19:20 PM

What I'm hearing from a couple of people re: boar livers is about the sidequests being cockblocks and sometimes about "do this in exactly the right proportion" etc.

I'm just leery I guess because franchise = almost always bad for me.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 06:45:07 AM

Maybe we mean something else with slow, but my point is that I do not rush the story.
I mean I play in very short bursts, so it takes me forever to get through games. Ain't nobody got time for padding.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:35 PM

I'm having a lot of fun with this - Racing around the landscape randomly stopping to search camps or kill/break shit is a perfect time waster, and I actually like most of the story beats so far.  It's not high art, but neither is the source material.  Also, my PC absolutely crushes this game - it runs glass-smooth.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 12:38:30 AM

The glass-smooth part makes me melt  Heart I just can't stop running around for the sake of it.

The convoy raids are my favourite part. Nothing like high speed chasing a money truck guarded by four cars, smashing things around and harpooning their wheels out. This is Chase HQ+++++++. I absolutely love that sometimes the fight ends up on foot, with enemy vehicles trying to run you over, and that the convoy can leave you and your totaled car behind forcing you to go back to chasing. The flawless engine and the visuals are a joy.

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 09:01:17 PM

If you are on the fence for this game I was able to purchase a full copy from this site for 15 bucks total.  http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/mad-max-pc?mw_aref=pcbd

It worked an hour ago but site is getting slammed and looks down now.  Can try your luck later though.  

edit: Working again as of 1am
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:59:20 PM by Zetleft »
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 09:14:43 PM

If you are on the fence for this game I was able to purchase a full copy from this site for 15 bucks total.  http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/mad-max-pc?mw_aref=pcbd

It worked an hour ago but site is getting slammed and looks down now.  Can try your luck later though. 

Thanks for the head's up here.  Been wanting to get this, will have to see in the morning if its back up.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 02:05:30 PM

The cdkeys.com link worked for me; got it in my email from IGN and was just coming here to post it. Not sure if I'll play it any time soon but I don't think it will be that cheap on Steam until next summer.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 02:52:23 PM

Yeah at that price I went and picked it up.  I was just gonna wait for a Steam sale but at that price it'll be like 2 years before it gets that low.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 07:27:26 AM

Thanks Zet - I know it's not getting great reviews, but this is a game I was always going to eventually buy.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 09:07:17 AM

Reviews hate it but players are enjoying it. So whatevs. At 15 dollars it's a gigantic steal.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 11:20:29 AM

Well, that site worked. Feels kind of sketchy getting that good of a deal, but whatever. I'm pretty sure I can get $15 out of any open world game.

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 07:29:06 PM

Reviews hate it but players are enjoying it. So whatevs. At 15 dollars it's a gigantic steal.

TotalBiscuit made a video trying to explain the difference between players and reviewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJANS0VTpbY

Also, I used that shady site to buy the game.  Downloading it now so it seems to work.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 06:20:44 AM

TotalBiscuit made a video trying to explain the difference between players and reviewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJANS0VTpbY

My god that man needs an editor. He blathers a ton.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 06:41:49 AM

Yeah, but he has a huge following and he makes a lot of money so I think you could say he doesn't need anything or anyone, he's all set.

I can't stand him though, so I don't listen to him and everyone's happy.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mad Max  
Jump to: