Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Orange is the new Black 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orange is the new Black  (Read 14843 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 03:00:50 PM

Oh, this wasn't an opinion on Breaking Bad, just people telling me to watch at least two seasons before passing judgement. I haven't watched but the pilot episode of BB, so I don't have an opinion about it one way or another. I'm sorta saving that series for a rainy day.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #36 on: July 20, 2013, 01:00:11 AM

I just got done watching the season over the last two days. I liked it a lot. It wasn't a transformative experience, but it was definitely worth watching 13 40 minute episodes if you're wanting watch a show. The show feels geared more towards women, but not excessively. If it were on broadcast TV people wouldn't even notice, since it's mostly a lack of tits in a show that takes place in bathrooms about 30% of the screen time. It is pretty low key and mostly about shifting interpersonal relationships, so if you want to see prison fights and whatnot it's the wrong show. If you liked Deep Space Nine you'll probably like this. Pennsyltucky and her group were especially nice to see since their real life equivalents have fucking SWARMED into Ohio over the last two decades.

Give the anime grace period of 4 episodes before you make up your mind.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:02 AM

but at least I'm not asking to wade through 2 entire seasons 'before it gets good', like I've been asked to do with Breaking Bad.

What clueless fuckstick would say that about Breaking Bad? If you didn't like that show from the get go, you will NEVER like that show.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 12:26:30 PM

This show is not for men. Like, at all.

To us a line from the show "Your problem, is that people can only be one, or the other."

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 03:18:19 PM

Duck Dynasty?!?  Huh?  OMG.  It's a real thing.  And it looks super  ACK!.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 04:30:53 PM

but at least I'm not asking to wade through 2 entire seasons 'before it gets good', like I've been asked to do with Breaking Bad.

What clueless fuckstick would say that about Breaking Bad? If you didn't like that show from the get go, you will NEVER like that show.
I thought the first season was boring, but it got better as it became less cancer-drama and more meth-shenanigans.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 08:03:08 AM

There are most definitely shows made for women and shows made for men.  IMO, one of the reasons you see more male oriented shows (apart from the fact the entertainment industry has been dominated by men) is that they appeal to quite a few women as well.  The same can't be said about shows for women.  I know a few women that really enjoyed watching Spartacus (the naked buffed men helped a bit) and Sons of Anarchy but I know of no men that enjoyed Sex in the City or the God awful Girls.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 12:14:51 PM

I actually enjoyed a bit of Sex in the City, although the mid to late seasons got waaay too girly even for me. I also liked Abfab, and I'm liking Girls. I'm pretty sure I'm male too.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 12:18:01 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm male too.

Given the prior bit of that post I would say that is up for mild debate, but I have no interest in debating that. Not even a tiny bit, internet person.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 04:09:07 PM

Liking shows that have a female target audience doesn't make you any more of a girl than watching anime makes you Japanese or listening to hip hop makes you black. I would think that you of all people would be a bit more sensitive about such things.

schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 04:12:45 PM

Also - was a joke, but we've both learned a valuable lesson about jokes disguised as insults on the internet in this thread now.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 04:30:21 PM

You have a weird debating style, Schild. I can't quite put the finger on it, but I guess you wouldn't want me to put the finger on it anyway, so I'll just shut up. That's always the best.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 11:38:06 PM

The only response to a comment like that is to throw a smoke bomb on the floor and vanish.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 07:40:41 AM

Our luck it would be one of those cheap, shitty Fourth of July smoke bombs that take forever to generate a cloud. Then there's the awkward staring at each other while you try to leave the room. The door to your left is the closet.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #49 on: July 22, 2013, 07:42:59 AM

doesn't make you any more of a girl than watching anime makes you Japanese or listening to hip hop makes you black.

/sadf

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 08:07:38 AM

Which did you want to be ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 10:38:19 PM

This show hates men. Other than that it's pretty entertaining.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 07:59:16 AM

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #53 on: August 08, 2013, 08:10:07 AM

This show hates men.

You just described modern American culture.

I have never played WoW.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #54 on: August 08, 2013, 09:04:25 AM

Let's get this Men's Rights rally started!

"Me am play gods"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #55 on: August 08, 2013, 10:22:48 AM

Just try.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 06:06:12 AM

Finished it last night.  While the first few episodes were hard to get into both my wife and I enjoyed it. 
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:53 AM

I watched the first 5 episodes of this over the weekend and think it's pretty entertaining.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 10, 2015, 05:09:18 PM

The second season of this is up there with great TV dramas - the Wire, Breaking Bad or the Sopranos. The performances are great, particularly the person who plays Suzanne (crazy eyes), it has a satisfying season-long storyline and loads of interesting little stories about individual characters.

The second season focuses far less on Piper and it becomes more of an ensemble show. There are lots of flashbacks but they are much better than in season one. Each episode tends to focus on a different character and gives us their story. It's a format that's been used previously in the first season or two of Lost, but that's when Lost was good.

I'm surprised this show hasn't had the same attention as the other big Netflix dramas.

I've just bingewatched the whole thing after ignoring it for a couple of years because I thought it was some weird comedy aimed at a section of the audience which isn't me. I was missing out.

Watch season one to get to know the characters, season two because it's up there with the best TV ever and season three to experience confusion followed by crushing disappointment as you realise they've created a rambling mess which doesn't really have a story and focuses too heavily on the comedy without being funny (don't let this put you off, watch season two).
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #59 on: August 11, 2015, 09:47:19 AM

Season 3 was pretty dreadful. They have no idea what to do with Piper anymore.  This whole prison panties gang shit is incredibly stupid.  Some interesting back stories, but yes, as a whole, it was a complete mess.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Orange is the new Black  
Jump to: