Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: THE ASHES 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ASHES  (Read 13863 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 08:28:26 AM

This sounds like a baseball game where it's the 3rd inning and it's 11-2.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 08:32:00 AM

That's about right, but if they reach the fifth in this position the winning team is allowed to go 'fuck this we want to go home, you have bat all your innings straight through so we can humiliate you by winning with half our wickets in hand'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 08:38:02 AM

Heh, I wish baseball had that rule where they could look at the other team up by 8 runs and just say fuck it, we're done batting. Let's roll your outs in a row.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:20 AM

128 all out.

But England not enforcing the followon.

Which is technically the right move with 3.5 days left, since there is no risk of the draw.

England could use the batting practice I guess.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 04:47:10 AM

128 all out.

But England not enforcing the followon.

Which is technically the right move with 3.5 days left, since there is no risk of the draw.

England could use the batting practice I guess.

Can't see Australia winning the ashes in the next 4 years with this shit lot.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 03:52:13 PM

Can someone explain cricket scoring PLEASE?

I was watching some big Indian championship a few months ago - entertaining, but no idea how the scoring worked.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 11:42:39 PM

The team that scores the most runs over two innings wins. To actually win they also have to get the opposition all out in both innings; if they don't do that by the end of the game it counts as a draw. A game lasts approximately 30 hours over 5 days, unless time is lost to rain, around 2700 balls are bowled in that time.

You score a run by running between the sticks or hitting the ball out of the field (for 4, or 6 if you do it without the ball bouncing).

A batsman is out if the bowler bowls over the stumps directly, or the batsman's legs stop that happening (leg before wicket), or by fielders catching the ball off the bat before it bounces, or by a fielder knocking over the stumps with the ball while the batsmen are running between the wickets (run out).

Scores within an innings are expressed as X for Y where X is the number of runs scored, and Y is the number of players out (wickets). Once 10 players are out the innings ends.

The Indian thing you saw was probably ridiculous 20 over pyjama cricket. In that version each team only gets a single innings of 120 balls to score off, and you do not have to bowl the opposing team out to win. This is all over in about 3 hours and is "not proper cricket".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:49:08 PM by eldaec »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 02:23:03 AM

As an Australian, I'm happy to see Australia lose the Ashes. We spent way too long being arrogant assholes about how good we were, then that generation of players retired at once (or, if Shane Warne, sold his soul in some sort of Dorian Gray-esque pact) leaving a lot of young players with the same attitude but without the skills.

A good few years of thrashing might see some humility start to creep back into the Australian ethos.

pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 07:42:17 PM

(or, if Shane Warne, sold his soul in some sort of Dorian Gray-esque pact)

Priceless  awesome, for real

And yes, this is going to get ugly quickly.  Even uglier than it currently is.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 11:31:23 AM

Well that went better.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 09:27:27 AM

Really? Rain? How very fucking English.

Starting to wonder if the Umpires have been paid off by some fellows from the sub-continent.

pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 07:10:17 PM

Welp, we're off and running again.  However, based on halfway through the 2nd session of the 1st day, I don't know if I want to watch any more.

And worst of all, its shit bloke Stuart Broad who has got all the wickets.  ACK!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 04:15:35 AM

To quote some discerning members of the Gabba crowd. "Broad is a wanker".

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 06:26:45 AM

Who is winning?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 09:44:22 AM

Little early to say, but day 1 was better for England.  We will know more after England bats.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 09:46:37 AM

This is why cricket is so impossible for me to understand, you never know who's winning!  why so serious?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 22, 2013, 03:41:27 AM

The Australians are in control after day 2.  An epic collapse by the Poms. Reminded me of the good ol days

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 05:47:00 AM

For Paelos's benefit the Australians are winning the second test as well.

Mitchell Johnson is a god.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: THE ASHES  
Jump to: