Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: guys guys guys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: guys guys guys  (Read 50387 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 27, 2013, 11:40:57 PM

I ultimately found a torrent that had both the emulator and a separate bios file.  You still have to unpack the bios file into the emulator's directory, but once you figure out what you are doing it is pretty easy.  The first mistake I made was not noticing in the emulator config that the software was pointing to the original unpacked bios folder that I still had sitting in my Downloads folder, not the correct bios folder which was unpacked in the PCSX2 folder.  Much needless frustration.

Mod Edit (Fabricated): It's no big; but I'll err on the side of safety and remove a link to the torrent. The PS2 BIOS is pretty hilariously easy to find anyway.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:17:26 PM by Fabricated »

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: September 28, 2013, 01:21:11 AM

There are no "legal ways" to get both the emulator and the bios at the same time since it's illegal to distribute the bios (and you should extract it from your own ps2 if you wanted to "play by the rules"). The best place to get the emulator is http://pcsx2.net/ but it really doesn't matter that much since the newest version is over a year old so any versions till floating around are probably up to date.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #72 on: September 28, 2013, 09:58:38 AM

Goddamnit, you guys are making me want to do this just to see if I can finish Persona 3. Next you're going to tell me there's a way to get my saves off a PS2 memory card and onto my PC to accomplish that.
http://pcsx2.net/

Emu has an installer and comes with all the plugins you need since there isn't a giant plugin ecosystem like with the PSX. I think there are other gamepad plugins but that's about it. You still need to do some configuring of graphic plugins to get the resolution/options you want, and depending on the game it might require tweaking. A lot of people have posted working settings for most games you can just follow.

Now the BIOS is something you'll need to find on your own.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 28, 2013, 10:34:46 AM

The link I posted above has everything you need, except I think for a utility for importing saved files (you can still save, you just can't import I think).  Bios files included as well.

If posting such a link is considered improper around here, please delete.

I used to love the old Dragon Quest games, so I am probably going to give 8 a try.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #74 on: September 29, 2013, 11:46:00 PM

There are no "legal ways" to get both the emulator and the bios at the same time since it's illegal to distribute the bios (and you should extract it from your own ps2 if you wanted to "play by the rules"). The best place to get the emulator is http://pcsx2.net/ but it really doesn't matter that much since the newest version is over a year old so any versions till floating around are probably up to date.

Yeah, I wasn't actually worried about the BIOS, etc -- I just recall the last time I tried this (though maybe I'm confusing it with some other emulator project -- probably for the PSX), the base emulator needed various graphics add-on plugins and whatnot to make anything work and you had to chase them down from various forum sites and so on.  Good to know all the goodies (except the gray area IP stuff) are available from the main site.  Will have to give it a look.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 30, 2013, 12:09:54 AM

The emulator seems to include everything other than the bios.  I suppose there are plenty of other Graphics or other plugins to be had, but I imagine you can ignore most or all of that.

As far as BIOS legality and whatnot, my conscience rests easy, knowing that I have a PS2 sitting in the basement that works just fine.  I just don't want to bother with trying to dump the BIOS from it.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 30, 2013, 02:43:38 AM

Is there a single download that has all the bits (obviously not ISOs, just the emulator and addons or whatever)?  Last time I looked at the newer console emulation space it was this horror of "oh download this plugin from over here and this other thing from over there and copy these config files and..." and was just a huge pain in the ass (and not terribly stable).  But that was a few years ago.

The only "bits" are the emulator itself and the BIOS needed to make the emulator function.  You're on your own for the BIOS bit, unfortunately.   Tinfoil Hat

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #77 on: September 30, 2013, 09:09:04 AM

My understanding is that to get my save games from memory cards requires either a modded PS2 or a SwapMagic CD/DVD? Is that correct?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #78 on: September 30, 2013, 09:52:47 AM

I never thought about it, but I actually have an official PS2 memory card -> USB adapter that I used to copy my PS2 saves to my PS3. I wonder if it'd work directly connected to the PC, or if I could transfer the saves from the PS3 to a USB thumbdrive?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #79 on: September 30, 2013, 10:12:52 AM

Based on my limited Googling yesterday, I think you could if you download a program that converts the save files on the USB to the proper PS2CX format.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 30, 2013, 10:26:54 PM

There is supposedly a tool call myMC that does the work of importing saved files (of any file type), but I haven't gotten it to work so far due to some missing file error.  There may be others that do the same job.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #81 on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:57 PM

OK, getting PS2 saves to a PC.  I did it, mentioned so in the "what I'm playing" thread I think.  I was very, very happy that I got my DDS/DDS2 saves into PCSX2 format.

I pulled them off of my PS3 and I remember WAY back that I had purchased the dongle that lets you plug a PS2 memory card into it and USB it to the PS3.  What I believe happened was that I created a new virtual card on the PS3 and then just did a copy of save files through the XMB, similar to how you'd use the Copy function in the PS2.  This will convert them to ".psv" format.  Can it be done directly to PC?  Not sure.

The rest of it was a small learning experience.  I'll host the files since I figured out which ones to use.
You'll need:
USB storage device
PSVExporter for extracting files from the PSV saves.
PS2 Save Builder for creating a new PS2 save file from the extracted files.
MyMC for converting that save file into something PCSX2 can use.

Steps:
Plug the USB storage into your PS3.  Use XMB to copy your PS2 saves from the virtual memory cards directly to the USB device.
Take these files to your PC.

Start PSV Exporter.  Click "Load PSV File" icon.
Now, where are your PSV files?  On the USB device, there should be a directory structure: PS3/EXPORT/PSV
Choose a .PSV file to load.  You should see at least three files in the program window.  Click "Extract All Files" icon and choose a new location.
The PSV Exporter program will create a new directory at your chosen location with a particular name.  Example: BASCUS-97490LV5RG_03 for Rogue Galaxy.  This is important to leave unmolested.

Start PS2 Save Builder.
In Win Explorer, navigate to the directory that was just created.  Drag all files into the window of PS2 Save Builder.  You should see the game icon appear in the window on the right.
In the "Root/ID" box, type the name of the directory.  Strictly speaking this isn't required but in the end you're really going to want the save files to look like real save files.
Click the save icon.  In the resulting dialog, choose "X-Port 2(*.xps)" and save this somewhere.  While other extensions may work, I know this one works.

Start PCSX2.
Go to Config->Memory Cards.
Create a new memory card for purposes of accepting the save files.
Insert this into a slot.  Click OK or otherwise close out the memory card plugin.
Go to CDVD and select "No Disc".
Now System->Boot CDVD(fast).
Inside the probably-familiar PS2 front-end, enter the browser and format the new memory card.
Close PCSX2.

Start mymc-gui.exe.
It should prompt to open something.  It wants a PCSX2 memory card, so select the one you just formatted.  You can actually use an existing memory card if you want, but just to be safe I like to use a empty one.
Click the Import button.  Navigate to the .xps file that you just created.  You should see a new line in the MyMC window that matches what you were importing.

Start PCSX2 again.  If your memory card is still plugged in, you should be able to go into the PS2 Browser and check out your save files.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:21:33 PM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #82 on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:55 AM

This is pretty slick.  Fired it up, dropped a PS2 disc in the dvd drive and off it went.  I need to sort out the video configuration to get some better scaling, etc going, but pretty impressive.  Somewhere I've got a PS2 and pile of PS2 memory cards.   Gotta find them.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 02, 2013, 04:32:37 AM

This is pretty slick.  Fired it up, dropped a PS2 disc in the dvd drive and off it went.  I need to sort out the video configuration to get some better scaling, etc going, but pretty impressive.  Somewhere I've got a PS2 and pile of PS2 memory cards.   Gotta find them.

It's even more slick if you can turn the discs into isos and eliminate the load times (almost totally)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #84 on: October 02, 2013, 07:24:27 AM

I need to sort out the video configuration to get some better scaling, etc going,

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/GSDX#Quick_guide_to_the_settings

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:04 AM

Guys, guys, guys...FFVIII (8) is now on Steam  ACK! why so serious?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:49:31 AM by luckton »

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #86 on: December 05, 2013, 10:10:26 AM

Guys, guys, guys...FFXIII (8) is now on Steam  ACK! why so serious?

edit: Hah, I didn't notice you had XIII.  I knew 8 was coming to Steam.  I don't see the point.  No one likes that game.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:07:27 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 05, 2013, 10:41:31 AM

I think it says something for how broken VIII's magic system was when they give you a hack for the PC version that let's you reload 100 copies of all the basic spells  why so serious?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:49:17 AM by luckton »

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 05, 2013, 10:48:23 AM

Not sure if I'm falling in to the sarchasm or something, but 8 is VIII not XIII.  XIII is the one with Lightning and Pulse and fal'Cie and all that stuff.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 05, 2013, 10:49:51 AM

Fixes, fixed, and mea culpa.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 05, 2013, 03:31:30 PM

I thought VIII was pretty good, although after hearing how bad VII is on PC I'm unlikely to bite on this either.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 06, 2013, 01:20:27 AM

For what it's worth? FFVII was virtually unplayable on PC when it first came out, but FFVIII ran like a dream, even on a Pentium 3 back in 1999. Well, its demo at least. I got the full game on the PSX like a normal person.

I might actually pick this up some time, since I'm one of those psychos who actually likes FFVIII, plus it comes with the Chocobo World game for the PocketStation that never saw the light of day outside Japan.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:24:16 AM by koro »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 06, 2013, 02:11:48 AM

8 had some of the worst combat in the series.  Long, drawn out BS with unskippable and neverending summoning animations.  And summoning seemed to be the number one combat choice in most situations.  Weapons were pointless.  Drawing magic was retarded.  Levelling and assigning abilities a tremendous  pain. All of these things were some of the worst in series, all rolled into one game.

And it is a shame, because it might have actually had one of the better stories.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 07, 2013, 01:34:47 PM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #94 on: December 07, 2013, 01:38:07 PM

They left out his most common response in the game "....." which was ridiculously excessive even by JRPG norms.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #95 on: December 08, 2013, 04:43:41 PM

They left out his most common response in the game "....." which was ridiculously excessive even by JRPG norms.

You just don't understand Squall's inner angst!

I will say that I always enjoyed the opening fight scene, and the parade scene.

But this is why we have YouTube, so you don't have to play the game anymore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-PcLtxo_t8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMwtj_PsKrA

Trust me those looked awesome 14 years ago! (yes, it's been that long..)

Ed:  Parade scene loses a LOT without the music, here's one with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=div0mNSrY6w
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:54:43 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #96 on: December 09, 2013, 05:01:44 AM

FF8 is probably the worst regular FF title. Utterly broken systems (to the point it could be trivially broken over your knee in literally 30 minutes or so of play after you finally get going), incomprehensible plot, not really that interesting of a world, mostly bad characters, Nomura designs.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:34 AM

I think I had more fun playing 8 than 7. I think a lot of that had to do with graphics, the 3d bobble-head graphics of 7 never really did much for me. Possibly also had to do with being able to fly around in a rocket ship  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I know the gameplay was wonky and broken, but I liked it better than the stupid gem-shuffle of 7 which annoyed the piss out of me.

As to one comment above, I thought you could cancel summon animations in 8 by hitting select during the start of the animation?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #98 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:07 AM

You didn't want to cancel, because you could boost your summons (notably Eden which was literally like a minute and a half long) by mushing the X button if I recall.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:14 AM

8 was all about trying to be as flashy as fuck and literally try to break the PSX's hardware.  I actually thought 8 was better than 7 in some regards, and vice-versa for others.

Of course, 9 trumps both of them  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 12, 2013, 05:30:33 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #101 on: December 12, 2013, 07:08:23 AM

This was the game that prompted me to replace all instances of ellipses with a fart sound.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: September 18, 2014, 05:08:36 PM

Guys, guys, guys...FFXIII (8) is now on Steam  ACK! why so serious?

THE PROPHECY HAS COME TRUUUUUUUUUUUUE

Also, we got the remake of FF3 and 4, too.  Hopefully the rest will make their way over eventually.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #103 on: September 19, 2014, 09:18:53 AM

Save yourselves $15. Put a DVD of some random anime at either end of your hallway, then walk between each DVD player and press play for 100 hours straight.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:35 AM

Save yourselves $15. Put a DVD of some random anime at either end of your hallway, then walk between each DVD player and press play for 100 hours straight.

Unfortunately, that's a pretty good description of the game.  I admit I am still something of a fanboy of FF single player games, but this game...god damn.  There was actually plenty to like.  The story was good enough (for a FF fanboy), the combat was fun enough, and the game absolutely looked the tits.  But yeah, endless fucking hallway.  It is one thing to put invisible walls around your RPG and direct players where you want them to go.  It's another thing to make it insanely transparent.  And shit, remove all semblance of the world by doing all your shopping online, and you never have to interact with towns or other people.  No idea why this would appeal to anyone, even if you are tired of the old formula.

The irony for me was once the game opened up...that was what made me stop playing.  I couldn't handle the transition from one extreme to the other.

And yet I am so broken that I'm intrigued that it is coming to PC!

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: guys guys guys  
Jump to: