Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: guys guys guys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: guys guys guys  (Read 50383 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 04, 2013, 10:12:39 PM

final fantasy vii is on steam

lol
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:29:39 PM

If it controls well with kb+m I might pick it up, although I don't see what the point of releasing it now is.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:32 PM

final fantasy vii is on steam

lol

...but it has achievements and a cheat mode (character booster) if the game is too hard for you!

the ps1 version with epsxe emulator is still the best version of the game you can get
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:16:34 AM

I didnt like ffvii. No need to tell me the best version to get. Final Fantasy's core series ended for me with VI.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 12:22:58 AM

If this costs under 10 dollars I will buy it because I am a nostalgia whore.

But yes, this game isn't as good as FF6 and looks like permanent shit to boot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:07 AM

Good news. Its $11.99.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:43:13 AM

When I was young this one was my favorite of the series.  Did another play through a few years back and yeah, it doesn't hold up very well at all.  Especially graphics, which is funny, because when I originally played it I felt it had the most amazing grpahics and art ever.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:30 AM

At the time, it may have.

But honestly, anyone who wants to play this game already owns it in a perfectly playable form.  I actually think I have three versions of it already.  Four if you count the fact that I could play the same version on both PS3 and Vita.

I know it is sorta popular to hate on this game now, but a remake would make BANK.  Instead they are going the easier route and making a FFX HD "remake". 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:44:39 AM

Instead they are going the easier route and making a FFX HD "remake".  

Ugh.  I have never played FF8, but of all the other ones, X is my least favorite.

And I dunno, but I still think VII holds up pretty well.  The graphics and stuff aren't as sharp as they were back in the PS1 era (lol at the character models), but the overall visual design is still pretty interesting in a lot of areas, and the story works a lot better than a lot of the later Final Fantasy stuff for me.  There was a time when I think it was overrated by the vox populi, but I think it's still a pretty solid game, if not the robot jesus of RPGs it was supposed to be in the nineties.

edit:
If it controls well with kb+m...

It doesn't... it's something like X for "ok," C for "cancel," V for "select," and B for  the menu.  Naming characters is still a matter of choosing letters from a menu rather than, say, typing.  That kind of thing.
Directions on some maps are kind of wonky too because of the fixed camera angles (what you'd think is "up" is really "up/right diagonal" or something).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:19:38 AM by Kail »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 03:25:29 AM

I actually liked X quite a bit, and will probably buy the remake when it comes out (which I think is relatively soon?).  But in many ways, X is what started this series down a bad path.  They got rid of the open world for all intents, and you started getting the feeling of running down corridors.  Not as bad as XIII, of course, but it laid the foundation for what was to come. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 08:11:16 AM

The MBV reference was pretty cool.  Also, materia was one of my favorite exp systems in a game.  Otherwise, I overlooked a lot of quirkiness back in the day and that game is pretty janky now.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 08:14:25 AM

I haven't played a FF since X (of which I played about an hours worth).  Uhh, they removed open world?  I'm afraid to ask, but what have they changed about the series overall since X?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 08:41:50 AM

Probably the most boring FF in the series.  The plot is a fucking mess too.  Sure, it probably has the best "oh, shit" moment, but otherwise it's pretty much a snoozer and the combat is FF1 quality bland.

My attempts to replay get nowhere.  I had the PC version (don't know why or how I got it) and downloaded it for the PSP.  Both attempts probably stalled out before the saucer.

I haven't played a FF since X (of which I played about an hours worth).  Uhh, they removed open world?  I'm afraid to ask, but what have they changed about the series overall since X?

I don't remember the world structure of XII, but that game featured a completely different combat system, which some people did not care for.  Personally, I loved it.  XIII was a long corridor-fest until you got to the last area, where you had a lot of freedom to roam.  Game would have been amazing if the entire thing was structured in that way, although it would have still been a little hamstrung by (yet again) another shitty plot.  XIV and XI are MMOs, so they don't count.

X would have been fine if it didn't have such a terrible plot. But, it did.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:48:01 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 08:48:10 AM

Sure, it probably has the best "oh, shit" moment, but otherwise it's pretty much a snoozer and the combat is FF1 quality bland.

Aeris dying did not wreck my teenage brain the same way pressing the reset button on FFVI and entering the World of Ruin did by being washed up on a beach where you're trying to feed a dying old man.

Fake edit: The sentence I just wrote is really hard to read and I'm too lazy to change it.
Edit: The dying old man being Cid made it even worse. ON TOP OF THAT you have fucking no clue what's going on. Like, the whole thing was just pretty traumatic and crazy. Aeris dying was just Sephiroth being a dick.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:50:22 AM by schild »
Rasix

Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 09:51:37 AM

I was just trying to be nice. 

My first time through FF6, I left Shadow behind. I thought he was doing a whole heroic sacrifice thing and waiting wouldn't matter.  Never again.

-Rasix
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:51 AM

Also while it had to be re-translated FF6 was the first console RPG I've seen where a protagonist literally tries to commit suicide out of dispair.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 11:54:54 AM

The characters in FF6 were way more fucked up than my teenage brain could handle back then. I played it again a few years ago and was like "wow, this really should've like, had some kind of effect on me." Didn't put much more thought into it than that.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 12:35:53 PM

The Woosley translation kinda takes the punch out of a lot of it. Nothing against Woosley; just saying.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 01:12:16 PM

The Woosley translation kinda takes the punch out of a lot of it. Nothing against Woosley; just saying.

Where would we be today without "Son of a submariner..." or... "RUN! RUN! Or you'll be well done!"
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 03:33:40 PM

If it controls well with kb+m I might pick it up, although I don't see what the point of releasing it now is.

It doesn't control well with anything and it never has. Those pre-rendered backgrounds may as well be covered in vaseline, it's impossible to make out entrances for maps even when playing this on a screen far clearer than what was available in 1997.

Source: Played it on PSN a few years back. Doesn't hold up well, but it's still pretty interesting as a part of gaming history.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 03:51:59 PM

Probably the most boring FF in the series.  The plot is a fucking mess too.  Sure, it probably has the best "oh, shit" moment, but otherwise it's pretty much a snoozer and the combat is FF1 quality bland.

I've always found the combat to be boring as hell in FF, so FF7 doing it doesn't really bug me.  There's never been a time when the screen faded to a battle scene and I went "oh, boy, NOW it's time for some fun" instead of either "goddammit, can't go five fucking steps without these guys humping my leg" or "need to grind for two more levels, hurry up and get this over with..."

The "oh shit" moment was pretty good, I thought.  I mean, you can argue that it's not as good as world of ruin or whatever, I don't have a problem with that, but a lot of the stuff that came after 7 tried to out "oh shit" it and ended up being just nonsensical and weird and introducing new plot holes when the twist was revealed, while a lot of the titles earlier than, say, 4 didn't really have much of a narrative at all, which still leaves VII in a pretty good place IMO, relative to the series as a whole anyway.

And before I forget, the Steam version of this game has to validate online every time you boot it up, so there's that.  We can't re-render the graphics or improve the models, but we can add annoying as shit DRM, full speed ahead to moneyhats.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 03:53:20 PM

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 04:01:07 PM

It doesn't... it's something like X for "ok," C for "cancel," V for "select," and B for  the menu.  Naming characters is still a matter of choosing letters from a menu rather than, say, typing.  That kind of thing.
Directions on some maps are kind of wonky too because of the fixed camera angles (what you'd think is "up" is really "up/right diagonal" or something).
Thanks for that, guess I'll pass.

Regarding the game in general, Aeris's death never bothered me because I didn't like her mechanically in battle (who needs a fucking healer?). She spent the whole dungeon before her death dead in my party because I didn't want her leeching XP. My 14 year old self then fell in love with Sephiroth for actually killing her off for good.

FFVI I'd first played by renting it as a kid, and thought the floating island was the end because I was stuck there on Ultima Weapon (didn't know about Vanish/Doom at the time). When I finally bought the game, beat him, and realized I was only halfway in my mind was blown.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 05:18:39 PM

Number one on the top seller's list right now.  Why the hell is one of the screenshots cloud on a snowboard, is that some sort of new add on?  I don't recall playing such a thing...

I do remember that because of this game I followed my friend into chinatown with my precious playstation so that it could be modded to play Japanese games and bought the Japanese version because I was too impatient to wait for the translation.  Had to print out all the dialogue from a site that existed just for people who did that.

I wonder if Barret is as racist a construct in the English version.  I can't buy the game to find out because there is no way I could go through another Aerith murder.
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 05:22:58 PM

You probably could. The game looks like dogshit now so it's incapable of having any emotional impact.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 11:04:42 PM

Why the hell is one of the screenshots cloud on a snowboard, is that some sort of new add on?  I don't recall playing such a thing...

It's one of the mini games in the Gold Saucer.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 11:25:42 PM

I thought FF7's oh-shit moment was when you find out Cloud's real origin. Aeris dying was just a mix of "damn, I need a new healer" and "why can't I use phoenix down, lol."

I was probably too young for FF6. Fucking up with the fish and letting Cid die had me in tears. Somehow Celes' reaction totally went over my head at the time, thankfully.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:27:17 PM by ezrast »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 05:27:16 PM

I didn't notice it until the sale but I guess they released Half-life "Complete" last month.  If it's complete I guess there won't be an episode three, or any conclusion to the god damn story line.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 07:31:14 AM

I'm sure they meant complete as in "complete at this point in time."  Sort of like "Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter"  meant "final until next year when we make another one." 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 08:47:23 AM

Is FFX on steam? I actually enjoyed that but never finished.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 08:49:47 AM

no
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:35 AM

what

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:32 AM

If this costs under 10 dollars I will buy it because I am a nostalgia whore.

Good news. Its $11.99.

I don't know why, but this had me laughing harder than I care to admit.

Never got into the FF series.  The combat system and artwork just didn't do it for me.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 10:50:28 AM

It's not for everyone.  I don't know any old people into FF.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:24 PM

What do you mean by old?  Also, did you just call Nebu old?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: guys guys guys  
Jump to: