Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division  (Read 148046 times)
Scold
Terracotta Army

on: June 10, 2013, 08:11:30 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:31:39 PM

Game looks pretty good when you can script everything that happens.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:24 PM

It's a logical cross-over between the "survival" model and special ops forces I guess. Though I'm not sure if they can make a FPS-MMO that is fun, content rich and balanced. And PvP poorly applied ends up making it a griefer's paradise.

Could well be fun, looks good, but there's a lot more detail needed. And most of the existing examples have been fail.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:06:47 PM

So wait, this is an MMO? I thought it was more action RPG with a co-op option?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:20:56 PM

From what little I've seen, there seems to be open world PvP, which would at least seem to imply open Day Z style servers, which falls into the gray "kind of an MMO" area at minimum. But who really knows at this point.  Have they said anything about a PC version yet, does anyone know?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:44:43 PM

Ubisoft capped off the conference with Tom Clancy's The Division, an online open-world RPG in which players search for loot and survivors in a city ravaged by a global pandemic. The Division will launch next year for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC platforms.

according to joystiq. Which would be good, because it was probably the most interesting title to me.

- Simond
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:48 AM

Oh good, PC. Now I don't have to think about buying a console to play this interesting looking title.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:39 AM

This does look interesting though I'm still not quite sure what kind of game it is. Co-op RPG? MMOG? There's definitely meant to be PVP and co-op/raid/dungeon style PVE, and it's pretty. Maybe it's Zombie APB?

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:10:03 PM

I think that counts as too "magical" for the tech fetishists attracted to this sort of spec ops feel. Though it did have a group heal so not sure how they explain that.

Impromptu PvP encourages the idea there's a pool of other players in the world. So quite possibly the APB model of multi-player zones and low population counts per zone instance. Probably needed to keep the server responsive. Could be as restricted as a hostile team joining your game in progress but that way lies grief.

I recall drifting past an explanation that the world of the game has suffered a disease epidemic transmitted by touching money. And it seems expected that people would grab their guns and revert to banditry and savagery in such cases. Does allow the enemy to be using gunplay as well though.

- Simond
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 03:12:39 PM

I think this looks great (yeah yeah scripted) and it's the one game I've seen so far outside of 'Watch Dogs' that I am really interested in.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:35:30 PM

It bugs the shit out of me when devs show people walking on their trailers.  That doesn't happen, ever.  And if you force players to walk they won't last five minutes in your game.

I am the .00000001428%
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 02:22:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb6W-SZkjC0

"What is it? 'We call it an online, open world RPG game."'  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"There are no quest givers. You start the game with 72 hours worth of food/water and a couple mags. It is then up to you to go out and  find more supplies, ammo, & loot."

Per usual, interviewers are asking stupid questions, but reading between the lines the Dev makes this sound more RPG than MMO. Which is fantastic. FANTASTIC.

Winter 2014 however.  Heartbreak

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 03:24:12 AM

Sounds like a somewhat GW2 style event system which could work pretty well in a shooter context. Scaling content capped at 4 person teams it sounded like, though how you enforce that in an open world will be interesting. The idea of resource constraints to drive pace sounds great.

I still get nervous every time I hear someone with a nordic accent (I assume) talking about open PvP zones though.

- Simond
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 03:57:04 AM

If it doesn't quickly devolve into DayZ-style bullshit, color me interested. And Winter 2014 could mean Jan/Feb. I'm ok with that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 05:50:16 AM

This is another one of the many many ideas that sounds cool if not for the fact that other human beings will be playing it with you. Look forward to getting teabagged by WeedLord_Bonerhitler atop his mountain of discarded water bottles.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 08:41:33 AM

I don't understand what they're doing with world changes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 09:07:31 AM

This is another one of the many many ideas that sounds cool if not for the fact that other human beings will be playing it with you. Look forward to getting teabagged by WeedLord_Bonerhitler atop his mountain of discarded water bottles.
Well, there will be the inevitable 2 weeks of f13 groups for the handful of people who suck up the full price at launch.

Game looks amazing, but the trailer fell apart for me when the map pulled back and showed the other groups...even with pve only seems like it might be really exploitable. Stuff like this and Not_Halo would be so cool on a private or semi-private server.

+1 to Threash, the walking in the demo was making me nuts.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06:34 AM

I watched that Rev3 trailer with the guy talking, and it sounds like there are three kinds of zones - social zones, pve zones and 'dark zones', where dark zones have both pve and pvp missions in them. If you stayed out of the dark zones entirely I think you could avoid pvp.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 10:42:57 AM

I'm not normally a fan of shooters, but this looks amazing... Damn you all for giving me hope.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:02 PM

Game looks amazing, but the trailer fell apart for me when the map pulled back and showed the other groups...even with pve only seems like it might be really exploitable. Stuff like this and Not_Halo would be so cool on a private or semi-private server.

That's why I'm a bit confused. I think they might be doing a shard/instancing thing balanced around 4 player groups.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 02:04:32 PM

I'm not normally a fan of shooters, but this looks amazing... Damn you all for giving me hope.
Don't worry about it, you'll forget about it (as will we) by the time it comes out.

Besides, Hex is beating it to the market and that's a title for everyone.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 02:51:13 PM

I have no interest in card based money games. I have interest in FPS based Multiplayer and MMO's. Its almost like someone said MMO's would be moving this way.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:29 PM

I don't know any of the words you just said.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 05:33:01 PM

I don't know any of the words you just said.
I will translate for you.
I have no interest in card based money games. I have interest in FPS based Multiplayer and MMO's. Its almost like someone said MMO's would be moving this way.
Not hex not hex not hex not hex not hex not hex not hex not hex not hex not hex. No hex in my future. blah blah blah not hex.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 05:35:33 PM

My hope is the other people are a optional. The world and physics are interesting to me I might accept occasional the ME3 co-op style of multiplayer. My interest is directly related to how infrequent that's a requirement though.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:20 PM

I will translate for you.

More like:

Hex is beating it to the market and that's a title for everyone.

Nope.avi

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 04:24:05 PM

My hope is the other people are a optional. The world and physics are interesting to me I might accept occasional the ME3 co-op style of multiplayer. My interest is directly related to how infrequent that's a requirement though.

This game isn't for you. At least not the game they are pitching to us at this point. Having other people be part of the world and part of the content seems to be part of the whole point. Now I'm sure they will hear a lot of this and they may pussy out of having a game where you can run into other players and be "forced" into pvp somewhere in the next 2 yrs and it won't surprise me in the slightest but it will be a shame.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 04:34:22 PM

Isnt this more apropo for Post-apoc/survival shite anyways?
I always laugh when people complain of this, because really, that's exactly the way it'd be in RL.  Errr, maybe that's the problem - RL sux.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 05:22:44 PM

It is set in America so I guess an epidemic leading to a massive rise in heavily armed bandit gangs is a realistic scenario.

I don't mind PvP. But without controls it will end up like Day-Z, kill counting snipers on every rooftop looking for opportunistic kills.

- Simond
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 10:56:06 PM

It is set in America so I guess an epidemic leading to a massive rise in heavily armed bandit gangs is a realistic scenario.

What you did there. I see it.  awesome, for real

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:36 AM

I've been looking to get into an FPS again, this could be very fun. (I hope its not too console-y with aim-assist crap). Winter 2014? Not likely this coming January, but we can hope!

- Viin
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 11:23:05 AM

2 years ago

Open World PVP game coming out! Fuck yeah can't wait!

Now

This game would be fun if it didn't include people...
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 11:36:32 AM

Thats only because game devs suck at balancing PvP. I still welcome open pvp games.

- Viin
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 09:36:05 PM

Game devs don't particularly suck at balancing PvP as much as players excel at fucking it up.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 10:34:03 PM

Game devs don't particularly suck at balancing PvP as much as players excel at fucking it up.

When you have millions (atleast you hope to have) players all trying to find a way to beat the system (or just the opponent) you are bound to find ways that a few (pvp) devs haven't thought of. Add to that the fact that in some cases (like some console games) there's no real incentive for the devs to put too much work into a game that has already launched...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Tom Clancy's The Division  
Jump to: