Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382196 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #525 on: October 15, 2013, 03:55:10 AM

I know it's been a few years since I was last active in an MMO, but Mor Dohna on Faery make Barrens Chat look like a Nobel conference. I've had nothing but great experiences up to now, even with PUG dungeon groups, so it was rather an abrupt shock.

"Endgame" is indeed concentrated with shitstains. I figure these people will be gone in a month since they'll have nothing to do but act like asshats.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: October 15, 2013, 04:40:11 AM

I know it's been a few years since I was last active in an MMO, but Mor Dohna on Faery make Barrens Chat look like a Nobel conference. I've had nothing but great experiences up to now, even with PUG dungeon groups, so it was rather an abrupt shock.
Agreed on all counts - I'm on Faery too, btw. *gang sign* My dungeon finder groups were all rather pleasant, even when we were wiping over and over on the first boss of Qarn (killing bees is hard). That said, I've only run Wanderer's Palace a few times and Amdapor Keep once.

However, the relic quest (the 'real endgame) is frustrating as hell. After the first few steps, I am now required to do several instanced boss raids that aren't covered by the dungeon finder and ones that nobody wants to do since everyone's finished this quest by now / they don't give any loot / you need some specific classes in the raid if you want to succeed with a pug. After wasting basically my entire weekend trying to get a group for Chimera, I'm pretty close to saying 'f it' and just staying away from anything related to the "endgame" in any way.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:27 AM

Well at least squeenix have learned not to put cockblocks like that in your way right in the middle of your leveling.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:45 AM

After wasting basically my entire weekend trying to get a group for Chimera, I'm pretty close to saying 'f it' and just staying away from anything related to the "endgame" in any way.

And after Chimera you'll get to do it all over again with Hydra, and that will be even worse. But the fun doesn't end there, because while you can use duty finder for the hard mode Ifrit, Garuda and Titan fights that come next, those will be the most frustrating duty finder experiences you have encountered so far, at least if you're a DPS class. After waiting 30-60 minutes (on a good day) for a group, what you actually get is one try at most, people will abandon group immediately if any mistakes of accidents happen, even (or especially) if they were at fault themselves. Of course this is more or less the expected behavior at the endgame dungeons too, but at the boss fights it's so much worse.

I decided to stop torturing myself and took a break almost two weeks ago, still not sure if I'll be going back any time soon. I really, really liked most of the game, but it's time to go when the experience changes from "mostly fun" to "constant frustration".
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #529 on: October 15, 2013, 11:40:18 AM

I feel the same, jth.  I've made a dragoon and eventually I'd like to make a monk, but right now I'm messing with crafting, fishing and gathering.  I've taken all the trade craft and field craft jobs so there's a lot to fool around with so it's still fun.  I have no qualms about leaving a game when it starts becoming a chore.  I'd like to still be interested when they put in housing, though.  We'll see. 

PS  I very nearly almost never make it to the end game in mmorpgs.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: October 15, 2013, 07:05:39 PM

You guys make it all seem so hard lol.  I don't understand why the mere concept of having to make friends in an MMO is so frightening to a very large group of people.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: October 15, 2013, 07:20:51 PM

You guys make it all seem so hard lol.  I don't understand why the mere concept of having to make friends in an MMO is so frightening to a very large group of people.

Frightening? Nah.  I've been there and done that.  I just can't be assed to anymore.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #532 on: October 15, 2013, 07:47:01 PM

It's not just a matter of making friends. End game progression in most MMO's requires finding multiple people who operate on roughly the same schedule as you with around the same amount of disposable time, who are also trying to progress through the same endgame content.  With this game the server situation made things even worse, but even in most MMO's where Bat Country was formed and we had 2-3 dozen people the first month, guild groups were few and far between because everyone was on at different times or progressed at different rates.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:50 PM

You guys make it all seem so hard lol.  I don't understand why the mere concept of having to make friends in an MMO is so frightening to a very large group of people.
Pretty much what Velorath said above. I'm in a "friends and family" FC of 7 people -- 2 of them may be online at any time, but lately less and less of them have been logging on due to burnout. To do Chimera in a pug without wiping endlessly, you need 8 people with a somewhat specific makeup (you need at least 1 paladin and a bard/monk to silence, and another bard if you only have one tank), so just going with FC people is a no go. I'm not going to ditch my friends (some of which I've been gaming with for 10+ years) and join an uberguild just to do {arbitrary cockblock raid encounter x}, because fuck that shit.

As for 'making friends is frightening'? lol. When I wasted my weekend trying to make / get into Chimera groups, I was pretty talkative in all of the groups that formed... heck, 3 of us (from one of the incomplete groups that fell apart) even did an AK run just to pass the time, and bantered about plenty of silly things along the way (something, I may point out, actually happened quite a few times doing cross-server LFD in WOW, which is supposed to be the devil or something). All of the people in the PUGs I attempted reached out to their FC and friends to help... which was still not enough to actually get a group together to complete the thing.

e: I recorded how it all went here, feel free to point out what I did wrong! (including trying to search for endgame LFG-ish linkshells on Faerie, which apparently don't exist)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:44:24 PM by Zetor »

Rake
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: October 16, 2013, 01:31:49 AM

The Japanese servers don't seem to have any problems with grouping up for any of the runs, but then again the Japanese pretty much do everything as a group straight after leaving the tit.
I mostly chose to play on a Japanese server when I noticed the lack of gold selling spam, compared to the US/EU server I tried.
But also, I find their whole morality a real breathe of fresh air after playing with selfish fuckwits in most other MMOs. It's nice to see genuinely decent people who don't just take what they can and don't give a damn about others.
I know it seems weird at first, trying to understand how the Japanese play/work, but when you get beyond the weirdness you find they are just really civilized and a pleasure to group with.

You can pretty much spend a lot of time soloing most stuff, but I think this game's challenging dungeons are worth the effort of being sociable, even if it's just to "get what I want" ,instead of "Wow! That group fight was fucking awesome!".
I suppose the endgame dungeons will be a block if it's the first time you've had to consider playing seriously as a pawn in a group.
Maybe the developers haven't understood how reluctant some basement dwellers are to mingle with others.
With FCs , Linkshells and the Duty Finder it's not difficult to make a few friends during the game, even if you find yourself in a smallish FC, I'm sure you can Linkshell with other friends for the more serious stuff.
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: October 16, 2013, 04:15:14 AM

The Japanese servers don't seem to have any problems with grouping up for any of the runs, but then again the Japanese pretty much do everything as a group straight after leaving the tit.
I mostly chose to play on a Japanese server when I noticed the lack of gold selling spam, compared to the US/EU server I tried.
But also, I find their whole morality a real breathe of fresh air after playing with selfish fuckwits in most other MMOs. It's nice to see genuinely decent people who don't just take what they can and don't give a damn about others.
I know it seems weird at first, trying to understand how the Japanese play/work, but when you get beyond the weirdness you find they are just really civilized and a pleasure to group with.

You can pretty much spend a lot of time soloing most stuff, but I think this game's challenging dungeons are worth the effort of being sociable, even if it's just to "get what I want" ,instead of "Wow! That group fight was fucking awesome!".
I suppose the endgame dungeons will be a block if it's the first time you've had to consider playing seriously as a pawn in a group.
Maybe the developers haven't understood how reluctant some basement dwellers are to mingle with others.
With FCs , Linkshells and the Duty Finder it's not difficult to make a few friends during the game, even if you find yourself in a smallish FC, I'm sure you can Linkshell with other friends for the more serious stuff.

This is why I am debating transferring. I dunno if I can take the latency hit though. However, you are spot on in the 'get what I want' vs 'this group? fuck yeah!' thing. I dread having to run story dungeons because of it. I even have to admit for the primal fights, I just want to get in and get it over with and hope people don't screw it up. Yet, times like last night rekindle my drive to get great groups... Titan story mode, go in with a PLD, SCH (me), BRD, and BLM. Start the fight and then wipe when we couldn't kill the heart fast enough after the BLM took a landslide off the side. Second run, BLM gets punted again, only this time right after the first jump. Watching him plummet, I decided that was it since we'd have no shot on the heart, but the PLD said to give it a shot and keep going till we wipe. Insane as it was, we ended up beating Titan. That fight turned from 'I need this to get on with my story' to 'holy shit that group rocked.' Which is basically why I played MMOs to begin with. You always chase that first time feeling and it seems to be that way with grouping as well. Lots of shitty groups will kill your drive to do dungeons but..you get that one great hit with an awesome group and you start jonesing for more.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: October 16, 2013, 04:33:57 AM

You guys make it all seem so hard lol.  I don't understand why the mere concept of having to make friends in an MMO is so frightening to a very large group of people.

I never had any problem making friends in games until the Dungeon Finder. I honestly can't say I've met a single person actually in game since then. I've managed to shop around for guilds online and joined them cold and found friends that way. But in the game? No.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: October 16, 2013, 05:03:47 AM

The landscape today is far different from what it was during say; Ragnarok Online's time.

Even if you reach out to strangers the best response you can hope for is either a "Thanks" or a "/nod". People have become a lot more anti social within games.
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: October 16, 2013, 05:42:26 AM

I never had any problem making friends in games until the Dungeon Finder. I honestly can't say I've met a single person actually in game since then. I've managed to shop around for guilds online and joined them cold and found friends that way. But in the game? No.

There is also a factor here that those people are on other servers so you will probably never seen them again anyway. That lends itself nicely to being a shitheel in dungeon groups as well. The alternative is shouting for a group for hours ah al FFXI. FC can be hit or miss and really rely on where you fit in that hierarchy of levels. My FC on ultros is top-end heavy and most have their tome runs and grinding to focus on so getting a group for a lower dungeon like Haukke or Brayflox is almost impossible save for the 1-2 kind souls that will queue with you... but if they are DPS and you are DPS, it is just wasting their time unless they are gathering/crafting.

Very tempted to flee my server as it is very populated and very top heavy in levels and prices for gear. Newer servers are much less and less populated. Have to decide before the free transfer period is over.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #539 on: October 16, 2013, 03:39:30 PM

Well, you can transfer now for free until the end of the month.  I definitely want to get off of Ultros because it's crowded, spammy and slow.  I just don't know where to go yet. 

Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: October 16, 2013, 06:31:00 PM

Well, you can transfer now for free until the end of the month.  I definitely want to get off of Ultros because it's crowded, spammy and slow.  I just don't know where to go yet. 

I am looking to a newer server. Mateus looks promising as does Bryn-something-der.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #541 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:26 AM

This latest letter from the producer looks good.  They will be mostly addressing the end game stuff that has everyone so pissed off.  The next update looks good, too.  TREASURE HUNTS!  That sounds fun.  A bit more for solo players to do while they ignore the end game!  Here:

Letter from the Producer, LI (10/16/2013)

Hello again, all you FFXIVers out there! Yoshi-P here, bringing you my fifty-first Letter from the Producer.

It's already been a month and a half since release, and after adding several new Worlds, optimizing the servers, and expanding the data centers, it's full speed ahead for the development team as we prepare for the first big patch.

Looking over data from each World, it's great to see so many players in every level range. Whether it's exploring the nooks and crannies of Eorzea, chasing after FATE, braving through dungeons for Allagan tomestomes, or taking on the Binding Coil of Bahamut, everyone seems to be settling into their own play style as they find their place in the community.

As for myself, I’ve finally defeated Titan in the main story, and am now in snowswept Coerthas. I’ve been going it incognito on the public servers, and it’s been a lot of fun playing with you all. I can never resist a shout for help to venture through lower level dungeons, so it'll probably be a while before I reach end game.

Speaking of end game, I'd like to take a moment to address our players who have completed the main scenario, and are now working to complete relic quests and fight against the hard-mode primals. We realize how difficult it's been to acquire tomestones and have taken measures to alleviate this problem. Although we had a few setbacks necessitating an extension of the planned maintenance on October 15, as well as a subsequent emergency maintenance, we've added additional instance servers for Amdapor Keep as well as the Wanderer's Palace. We've also increased the number of tomestones obtainable in these dungeons, and made adjustments to gil received from within. Patch 2.1 will introduce even more ways to accumulate tomes, so please bear with us.

End game players have also encountered problems with the fifth turn of the Binding Coil of Bahamut. This issue was to be addressed with the patch on October 15, but unfortunately we've confirmed that the problem still persists. Please rest assured we are working diligently to resolve this issue so that players can resume play in this instance as soon as possible.

Our first update will be fairly substantial, and can be divided into three key parts. First and foremost, we want players to have more options to enjoy themselves in Eorzea. We'll be introducing daily quests and treasure hunts for those looking to play solo, and various system adjustments will make it easier to obtain Allagan tomestones of philosophy and mythology with your party mates. You can also expect to see new dungeons, the Crystal Tower, extreme primal battles, and the return of Good King Moggle Mog. There's also housing and the Wolves' Den to look forward to, both of which are being fine-tuned and debugged as we speak.

Second, we'll be implementing feedback from you, the players. Not only will the user interface be updated, but we'll also be adding an item-sort function, item level restrictions on the Duty Finder, the MVP system, and a number of other new features.

Last but certainly not least, we'll be introducing the salon where players can customize character features such as hair and face paint, and a party search function for individual Worlds. This wouldn't be a FINAL FANTASY if it didn't have a story, so expect to see new developments in the main scenario, and perhaps even the return of a certain someone from Version 1.0.

More details will be revealed during the upcoming LIVE letters. I'm planning to host one every month up until the release of 2.1, and I hope you tune in to all of them!

And that’s all from me for today. See you again on October 19, at the ninth Letter from the Producer LIVE!

Good King Moggle Mog?  Is that for xmas or sommat?  Good King Moggle Mog sat down on the feet of Stephen?  I love that song.

To Xanthi:  Are you going to transfer or stay where you are (Zelara, no?)?  I don't think they're limiting the times you can transfer while it's free so there's until the end of the month to find a good server.  Does it ever give the names of brand new servers?  Sometimes it's hard to get a group for the necessary dungeons if the server is old and busy and everyone's done everything.  I wish they'd scale the dungeons down to two people... we'd own the game then and still have time to fish and treasure hunt!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:16:20 AM by Signe »

Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: October 17, 2013, 09:25:59 AM

Good King Moggle Mog?  Is that for xmas or sommat?  Good King Moggle Mog sat down on the feet of Stephen?  I love that song.

To Xanthi:  Are you going to transfer or stay where you are (Zelara, no?)?  I don't think they're limiting the times you can transfer while it's free so there's until the end of the month to find a good server.  Does it ever give the names of brand new servers?  Sometimes it's hard to get a group for the necessary dungeons if the server is old and busy and everyone's done everything.  I wish they'd scale the dungeons down to two people... we'd own the game then and still have time to fish and treasure hunt!

Server transfer has a 3 day cool down so no multiple jumping - I think they did that as a precaution against overloading the servers used for the transfer. I darted off to Mateus for now. It is one of the newer servers released in Sept. along with bryd-whateverthefuck and zalera source.

Pretty quick turn around on the transfer, though mogstation is fuckstupid in the way it works it. Can't wait till they put the server only LFG option in.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #543 on: October 17, 2013, 12:19:05 PM

I'm tempted by Brynhildr (Brynhilde in my family) because it comes from the story that is responsible for the names in my family, including Signe (Signy) what is me.  I don't know why.  My father's family is very odd.  As far as I know, they're still giving people silly names.  :(

Moved to Zalera.  Much zippier than I was on Ultros.  Halloween event.  Jack-o'-lanterns everywhere.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:15:16 AM by Signe »

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: October 18, 2013, 02:12:29 PM

My play time the past two weeks has been severly limited, so I have barely logged on. Zelara seems like a fine server (to me) - haven't noticed any irregular douchebaggery at all, really. I joined a guild made up of old people (just before I stopped playing - maybe they kicked me out for inactivity) who seem very nice.

I think I had to wait a half hour to do each of the three dungeons that I needed to get a retainer (I play a mage).

I hope to get some time to play this weekend.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #545 on: October 22, 2013, 09:02:30 AM

I found THIS page to be very helpful in finding specific fish.  Some of the other bits of this site are also helpful for other sorts of gathering.  I also found a nice, quiet place to craft.  I go to Wolves Den (or whatever it's named - the place you go for PvP).  There's a service bell there and, unlike the inn room, you can craft.  I load up my guys with lots of ingredients and stuff and just craft.  That's all I've been doing recently.  Sometimes I fall asleep.

I take it back.  I just found a bunch of fish errors in that guide what I posted earlier.   ACK!  Sorry.  I'm using the IGN guide now and it seems to be better.  The six hundred page download, however, was a pain in the arse.  I don't know how many trees had to die for my convenience so sorry to you, too, trees!  :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:12:09 PM by Signe »

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: October 22, 2013, 11:30:08 PM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #547 on: October 23, 2013, 08:18:34 AM

You didn't click my link, did you?  That's okay.  That site is good but when I compared a couple of the fishing sites with another web page because I wasn't getting the right fish, that's the one that was wrong.  I've referred back to it, however, and MOST of the fish it listed were correct.  The wrong bit just made me fishtrated.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:35 AM

You didn't click my link, did you?  That's okay.  That site is good but when I compared a couple of the fishing sites with another web page because I wasn't getting the right fish, that's the one that was wrong.  I've referred back to it, however, and MOST of the fish it listed were correct.  The wrong bit just made me fishtrated.

Is there an offishal site?
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: October 23, 2013, 09:34:14 AM

Is there an offishal site?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #550 on: October 23, 2013, 01:25:18 PM

I didn't register so I don't really know what else is there except for some maps that are kind of helpful.  The fishing info was linked to in the forums here: 

http://www.disciplesoftheland.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&m=6365#post6365

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: October 26, 2013, 11:25:26 AM

My first month is gone now, and I didn't subscribe since I've been able to play only about 2 hours in 2 weeks.

(City of X would be just about a perfect match for me these days. Too bad it's not there anymore. Really missing it.)
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:42 AM

I ended up cancelling, then realizing I'd done so a few hours after they charged me. Oh and cancellations are immediate, they don't let you time run out. That annoyed me, though it was probably in the yada yada I clicked through.

The first numbers are out though: 1.45m sales and 600k paid subscribers.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:09 PM

41% retention's pretty good in this day and age.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #554 on: November 06, 2013, 01:09:58 PM

It's especially good considering you didn't need to put in your credit card info to start playing during your free 30 days like most subscription MMORPGs make you do.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: November 07, 2013, 10:05:36 PM

I ended up cancelling, then realizing I'd done so a few hours after they charged me. Oh and cancellations are immediate, they don't let you time run out.

That is indeed extremely obnoxious.  Disappointing.

I am still enjoying this game way more than I expected to.  Obsessed with crafting for some reason.  That's a first for me.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #556 on: November 08, 2013, 07:39:58 AM

Crafting is pretty much all I do now, too.  I don't know why!

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: November 28, 2013, 07:18:52 PM

This is $15 on Amazon and Square-enix's website if you're curious to check it out. So far my impression is that is surprisingly not terrible. Also surprising is how well they managed to meet their aspirations for the "2.0" version of the game that they teased back when they started charging for the game again. Pulling it off didn't seem possible at the time, but here we are.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: November 29, 2013, 05:00:41 PM

This is $15 on Amazon and Square-enix's website if you're curious to check it out. So far my impression is that is surprisingly not terrible. Also surprising is how well they managed to meet their aspirations for the "2.0" version of the game that they teased back when they started charging for the game again. Pulling it off didn't seem possible at the time, but here we are.

This is probably the first time an MMO has been successfully unfucked.  If there was no sub fee, I'd still be playing.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: November 29, 2013, 07:11:58 PM

I'm still puttering away at crafting and gathering.  I can't say how refreshing this game is...For the first time in years I'm not waiting in q's for dungeons though I do have a regular group I run Coil with every week.  Most of my time is spent running to gather some ingredient to weave a new top for my lvl 17 goldsmith so he can craft himself a high quality ring.  Clearly this playstyle isn't for everyone but I am overly satisfied and excitedly waiting for the first big patch.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: