Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382139 times)
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: September 05, 2013, 08:47:21 PM

It doesn't look as if you can get the digital download still, but you can always buy it in the shops.

_IF_ any of the local shops have it. Around here, there is nothing to be had. Best bet for me is to order a box direct from SquareEnix.

As for the game itself, Shatter's quote of the reddit post is spot on. Spot. On. http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=23323.msg1225714#msg1225714

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: September 06, 2013, 01:00:22 AM

Eh, its ok, I'm having fun, but I wouldn't call it hot robot arm sex good. 

Except for the server issues its a pretty well made old school feeling MMO.  For every thing it does that feels modern, like not having to actually loot bodies, or the class swapping, it also does something that feels incredibly backwards like the awkward way you need to you use quest items or hand over items to NPC's.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #352 on: September 06, 2013, 03:46:48 AM

Yeah, one of the story quests I did recently made me go to a river to fill a bucket with water. So I had to click on the bucket to get it, then go to the marked spot in the river and then use the bucket to put it in the river. Then I had to click it again to fill it with water. Then I had to click it one more time to pick the bucket back up. It doesn't seem like that much, but to take that many steps to fill a bucket with some water felt pretty jarring. Not a huge knock against the game, but it was just one of those things where clearly they could have made it a one step process instead of 3-4.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #353 on: September 06, 2013, 04:06:03 AM

Nice Signe. Add me to your friend's list in case you need help with something, Egg Shen.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: September 06, 2013, 05:53:07 PM

I love how my Scholar's eyes look. The "gives no fucks" look is amazing in most cutscenes.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #355 on: September 08, 2013, 01:40:14 PM

Has anyone woke up and found anything in their bed?  I NEVER find anything.  And if you do find stuff in your bed, what's it for?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: September 08, 2013, 04:46:18 PM

Has anyone woke up and found anything in their bed?  I NEVER find anything.  And if you do find stuff in your bed, what's it for?

I thought only boys had to worry about waking up to find strange stuff in their beds.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #357 on: September 08, 2013, 07:54:50 PM

I thought only boys had to worry about waking up to find strange stuff in their beds.

The only thing strange about dead hookers is the coldpacking that's sure to follow. 
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: September 08, 2013, 08:03:16 PM

What?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:30 AM

Finally managed to get my mount and even unlocked the bard job tonight.  I still don't like that you get cock blocked from continuing your story by forcing you to do dungeons but the rest of the game is fun enough to overlook it. 
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: September 09, 2013, 02:14:34 AM

I'm imagining Butters from South Park asking this question.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:07 AM

Finally managed to get my mount and even unlocked the bard job tonight.  I still don't like that you get cock blocked from continuing your story by forcing you to do dungeons but the rest of the game is fun enough to overlook it. 
I have the opposite problem; I don't like being cockblocked from new dungeons by forcing you to sit through the story.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #362 on: September 09, 2013, 04:38:08 AM

Managed to unlock Dragoon tonight myself. Dungeons don't bother me too much. I usually just queue up in the Duty Finder thing and then just run off and do something else while I wait (typically fates or leveling one of my gathering or crafting classes). Just sucks that between the hour or so I have to wait in the queue as a DPS and the time it takes to do the dungeon means I have to have a solid chunk of time to devote to it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #363 on: September 09, 2013, 06:54:13 AM

Oh, ffs.  It says in the game that when you log out in bed at the inn, sometimes items appear in bed with you when you wake up.  I've never had anything appear in the bed with me and wondered if anyone else has.  Geez.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #364 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:29 AM

Managed to unlock Dragoon tonight myself. Dungeons don't bother me too much. I usually just queue up in the Duty Finder thing and then just run off and do something else while I wait (typically fates or leveling one of my gathering or crafting classes). Just sucks that between the hour or so I have to wait in the queue as a DPS and the time it takes to do the dungeon means I have to have a solid chunk of time to devote to it.

Thank you.  That just about killed any urge I have to buy/play. 

Just curious, but how long are the dungeons?

-Rasix
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: September 09, 2013, 08:29:34 AM

The dungeons being in the main quest is actually a good thing.

1) You can queue for any dungeon provided you have it unlocked. You'll level sync down to the appropriate level. You can have your level 50 friend group with you to help with a level 26 dungeon.
2) It attempts to teach the bads what is going on. They really need this. Tell us about your experiences pugging Quarn when you get to it.
3) Dungeons have either 60, 90, or 120 minute timers. (that I've seen.) You lose if it takes too long. It's not an endless thing if you're really nice and won't bail on a bad group.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:17 AM

It attempts to teach the bads what is going on. They really need this. Tell us about your experiences pugging Quarn when you get to it.

There's a shocking number of players who say they've never played an MMO before. I actually find it refreshing. I'd rather struggle through and explain things that deal with the speed demons.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #367 on: September 09, 2013, 09:38:04 AM

The early dungeons so far are small by WoW standards -- 30 minutes or so is typical as long as you don't wipe. The dungeon finder ("Duty Finder" in FF XIV) works well but like in most games of these types the DPS classes typically have to wait a long time to get in. So far it looks like the healer classes have a slightly easier time getting in than tanks (some games tanks are more in demand) but both typical have short waits or "instant" queues. Also only some of the dungeons are required to advance the story.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: September 09, 2013, 09:43:30 AM

The early dungeons so far are small by WoW standards -- 30 minutes or so is typical as long as you don't wipe. The dungeon finder ("Duty Finder" in FF XIV) works well but like in most games of these types the DPS classes typically have to wait a long time to get in. So far it looks like the healer classes have a slightly easier time getting in than tanks (some games tanks are more in demand) but both typical have short waits or "instant" queues. Also only some of the dungeons are required to advance the story.

Apparently healers lose their instant queues in their 30s, i guess cause of jobs.  Tanks are always in demand.

I am the .00000001428%
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: September 09, 2013, 09:51:29 AM

Probably that's the Scholar's kicking in at 30. Supposedly they're considering letting arcanists heal from the beginning, which makes sense to me.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #370 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:44 AM

Arcanists don't get an AoE heal nor a cure status effect spell like Conjurer does, though. The early dungeons don't need those spells really (Ifirit is probably the first where the AoE heal is a nice to have but it's still not a requirement) but I can see why they don't allow Arcanist to queue up as Heal. On the tank side Gladiator and Marauder both queue as tank which is why tank is in slightly less demand early on.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:13:16 AM by Trippy »
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: September 09, 2013, 11:01:26 AM

I just turned 44 Whitemage last night and I am really blown away by this game.  The dungeons are fun, and very fast, and sure you have some bad groups here and there but mostly, everyone works together.  I find as a healer, I have a lot of the control of the success of the group and can usually turn a bad tank or dps around just by overhealing them.  I haven't read much of the story, but the rare parts that are voiced are actually pretty cool.  The whole Garuda story is amazing to watch before and after, and geeze that fight is really hard on the average pug group. 

This game is very much dungeons though, and while you can pretty much ignore the story (not read it,) you will have to engage and be successful in dungeons to get anywhere.  The game makes it really easy to do that though, and with the job system you can sort of shift pieces around once you're all inside.  I honestly can't imagine anyone who has played the AAA Line of succession from Everquest to Now wouldn't be happy in this game.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #372 on: September 09, 2013, 01:14:52 PM

30-45 mins for the early ones. By level 30 I've had to do 5 dungeons, plus the Ifrit battle.  First three dungeons are pretty much all in a row in the main story quest line, around level 15-18. Next one after that is at 24 and the one after that is at 28. Ifrit battle is at 20, but doesn't really take long although you may wipe once or twice while figuring out the fight. Almost every boss in a dungeon has some sort of mechanic you need to figure out although nothing too complicated yet. Parties for the early dungeons consist of 4 players (1 Healer, 1 Tank, and 2 DPS), and my understanding is that later on it goes up to 8. If you pass the level of a dungeon up by too much it will sync you down to that level so you can't just go by yourself later on and solo through dungeons. Also you get stuff like mounts and join a Grand Company through the main quest line so you don't want to put it off for long periods of time.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: September 09, 2013, 03:07:51 PM

I'm the opposite. I find this game to be tedious in the extreme. Maybe I've moved on from what I want in a game but it just seems so 'old school' as to be fossilised. Grinding, a crappy UI, the worse back end systems in any MMO ever - and more grinding. Individual class design is *awful* - so few abilities and non of them actually interesting in any way.

Just feels like a real blast from the past - admittedly there hasn't been a game like this for some time so maybe its scratching the itch for folks.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: September 09, 2013, 04:35:35 PM

I'm the opposite. I find this game to be tedious in the extreme. Maybe I've moved on from what I want in a game but it just seems so 'old school' as to be fossilised. Grinding, a crappy UI, the worse back end systems in any MMO ever - and more grinding. Individual class design is *awful* - so few abilities and non of them actually interesting in any way.

Just feels like a real blast from the past - admittedly there hasn't been a game like this for some time so maybe its scratching the itch for folks.

That's exactly how I know I ought to feel but somehow I don't...

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #375 on: September 09, 2013, 05:29:56 PM

I think I'm done. I hit 50, the crafting isn't really all that interesting, gathering is kind of boring, I got some other classes to around 30, but...

As soon as I saw the wall of 'grind up all these badges to get this gear to do the hard mode versions of these fights again to then wrangle a bunch of people together to do this dungeon'...

I mean, that's all well and good as that's the MMO thing, but there aren't enough alternate activities to really justify that being one of the paths. There's no housing (yet), no real selection of endgame dungeons (do your 8 man story dungeons again for no loot and 100 badges or do this one or two dungeons tops over and over again). If there were PVP or housing or... I don't know, SOMEthing else, it might do better. But the class design just feels kind of bland.

It's an order of magnitude better than it was, it's just ultimately still kind of a bland product.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #376 on: September 09, 2013, 06:03:08 PM

That's exactly how I know I ought to feel but somehow I don't...

Unlike a lot of people here, I haven't played every major MMO since Ultima Online, so maybe that's part of the reason why it doesn't feel as dull to me. Still don't plan on going past the first month, and having hit my initial goal of unlocking Dragoon, I'm already starting to find myself without any other long term goals I'm working towards (hitting level cap doesn't interest me and I'm only half paying attention to the story).

By the time GTA V comes out next week, I will have likely moved on entirely from this game, but it was fun for a while and that's all I expected.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #377 on: September 09, 2013, 11:54:49 PM

Weird.  My physical copy arrived today, so I registered it and it added 30 days.  However, upon looking through my history it shows me registered Sept 3, 2010, which is before the launch of the first version.  I had no idea I had access to this game all that time.

Is there any incentive to putting in my payment info at this time, or is it okay to wait till the 30 days is up? 
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: September 10, 2013, 06:16:48 AM

Woke up ingame in my bed alone again, strangely disappointed.  Signe has got my hopes up of midnight visitors.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #379 on: September 10, 2013, 07:40:47 AM

I would wait until the 30 days are up.  The game is fun and really pretty but I hear a lot of people saying they've reached the level cap already and quit until more content is added.  UNLESS... you're like me and take every crafting skill work on them a lot and haven't even got to level 20 in anything yet... even my highest crafting is only 10.  My main character is only 18.  I think those people might be the sort who just whiz through the main story and levels without paying much attention to anything else.  I'm slow.  Games last longer that way.  And since you don't need tons of alts because you can do anything you like with one character mostly, why not wait and see?  As far as I know, the only difference is you get to make 40 characters if you like, instead of 8.

If I'm wrong about any of this, sorry in advance.

Also, there is an event right now.  Allegedly.  I see no sign of an event.  And nothing in my bed.  Again.  :(

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: September 10, 2013, 07:48:52 AM

From what I have seen the event is basically a level 27 fate in Eastern La Noscea, on the beach just south of the Costa del Sol.

I ran my level 20 archer there (I'm a slow leveler too, and have got to 10 in three tradeskills so far) and died trying to piggy the event.  You get a currency (ash) drop that lets you buy swimwear.
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: September 10, 2013, 08:14:24 AM

From what I have seen the event is basically a level 27 fate in Eastern La Noscea, on the beach just south of the Costa del Sol.

I ran my level 20 archer there (I'm a slow leveler too, and have got to 10 in three tradeskills so far) and died trying to piggy the event.  You get a currency (ash) drop that lets you buy swimwear.

It also pops up as a level 15 Fate just east of Drybone frequently.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #382 on: September 10, 2013, 08:19:54 AM

And nothing in my bed.  Again.  :(
FFXIV: Forever Alone
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:34 AM

Do all of your jobs level up simultaneously or are they like FFXI and force you to start fresh from level 1?  Because I can't see how hitting max in just one job is reason to quit. Or perhaps I'm making unwarranted assumptions about how much the game is like FFXI.
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: September 10, 2013, 11:05:54 AM

Do all of your jobs level up simultaneously or are they like FFXI and force you to start fresh from level 1?  Because I can't see how hitting max in just one job is reason to quit. Or perhaps I'm making unwarranted assumptions about how much the game is like FFXI.

They level up along with the main class it's based on so you'd likely start out at 30 when you can do the job quest and level i.e. White Mage and your Conjurer will be that same level when you switch to it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: