Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382144 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #210 on: August 27, 2013, 02:58:50 PM

I will resurrect my refrain from the WoW beta/launch days. HIRE MOR AZNS.
Isn't the game the way it is because they did? why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #211 on: August 27, 2013, 03:13:51 PM

Maybe they need different Asians?

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: August 27, 2013, 05:18:27 PM

It does have queues. They work. If you get a message saying you are in a queue, leave the game alone and it will get you in before long.

Apparently, however, the queues can only handle a limited number of people. So if too many people are queuing, the game just tells you to go away.

You can sit in that queue and let it do its thing and still get the world full 1017 message.  They do not have a real queue system in place.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:54 AM

Digital sales have been suspended:

In a note on the game's Facebook page, Square Enix described the response to this week's release of the rebooted MMO as "overwhelmingly positive", and said this was causing the "extremely long wait times".

"As a temporary measure, we will halt sales of Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn's digital download products so we can accommodate all of those wishing to play," Square Enix said.

"We are working to expand our server capacity in the coming days.

"We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this causes."
(Source: Eurogamer)
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: August 28, 2013, 01:38:19 AM

The queue system is actually nearly completely broken. For some inexplicable reason, the login queue system is tied in with the duty finder/instance server. When the queues worked fine, the duty finder/instance server didn't. When they took steps to get the instance server working right, it broke the login queues.

Now they're scrambling to add enough capacity at their datacenters to handle the logins and people on the servers.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: August 28, 2013, 02:05:00 AM

If they don't fix their problems soon its going to be more like Final Fantasy14: A Realm Stillborn. awesome, for real
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: August 28, 2013, 02:48:12 AM

If they don't fix their problems soon its going to be more like Final Fantasy14: A Realm Stillborn. awesome, for real

Rimshot

Seriously though, this is just sad.  Are they still requiring a subscription for this stuff too?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: August 28, 2013, 04:00:33 AM

In their defense, a few months ago did anyone see overwhelmed servers being in FFXIV's future?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: August 28, 2013, 04:18:41 AM

How to fix 1017 error (Server Full) in FFXIV ARR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_o_5tOFLKo
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #219 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:30 AM

It does have queues. They work. If you get a message saying you are in a queue, leave the game alone and it will get you in before long.

Apparently, however, the queues can only handle a limited number of people. So if too many people are queuing, the game just tells you to go away.

9 times out of ten they don't even put you in a queue.  That's what people are bitching about.  It just says "The game is full.  Fuck you."
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: August 28, 2013, 08:48:20 AM

They've suspended digital sales.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #221 on: August 28, 2013, 09:04:13 AM

Well, not being able to BUY the game will solve all kinds of problems!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:58 AM

It's something that happens a lot.

1.Company expects large drop off in subs in 2-3 months.
2.Decides extra sever structure too costly and not worth it for launch since many won't stay.
3.People can't log in, have low opinion of game.
4.Player base suffers.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:42 AM

I remember laughing at WoW crashing and burning in a very similar manner, so it doesn't always cost subscribers in the long term.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: August 28, 2013, 10:13:11 AM

But this is a situation where a game is actually trying to give a legitimate second "first impression".  If they're not going to treat this launch any better than what they did the first time, why bother trying to relaunch?  Just let the thing die and move on to FF16 online.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #225 on: August 28, 2013, 11:03:20 AM

Was on TS last night with a kid who was ranting and raving about the login issues, the no afk kick, etc. I had to laugh and ask him if it was his first MMO. Still, it is deeply depressing that we see the exact same easily remedied issues arrive with every major launch. It is like they all design the games and infrastructure in complete isolation and have no idea what to expect.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: August 28, 2013, 11:12:09 AM

Was on TS last night with a kid who was ranting and raving about the login issues, the no afk kick, etc. I had to laugh and ask him if it was his first MMO. Still, it is deeply depressing that we see the exact same easily remedied issues arrive with every major launch. It is like they all design the games and infrastructure in complete isolation and have no idea what to expect.

Is it easily resolvable?  I mean how much money would the additional server space cost?  Once the initial rush of people ebbed, could those servers be repurposed to something else?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: August 28, 2013, 11:17:41 AM

I remember laughing at WoW crashing and burning in a very similar manner, so it doesn't always cost subscribers in the long term.

I was actually going to add another line but forgot(honestly)

#.Company sees wow and thinks doing whatever wow did will work.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:04 AM

Is it easily resolvable?  I mean how much money would the additional server space cost?  Once the initial rush of people ebbed, could those servers be repurposed to something else?

It's likely expensive and even if the servers could be re-purposed, suits don't like spending money.  The people that make these games aren't stupid enough to think they won't have issues at launch, they are simply betting it won't matter in the long run but first impressions mean a lot more than they think.

WayAbvPar

Reply #229 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:33 AM

I am not saying throw a ton of money at servers you don't need. That is bad business. Things like not having AFK autokick? Clownshoes. Manage your customers' expectations. Do a rolling launch to mitigate the worst of the flood. Rent a few servers to get you through the first 2 weeks, especially for the login/authentication servers.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: August 28, 2013, 11:57:52 AM

The thing is we don't.  I can't remember the last game that had major launch issues (wow maybe?).  Don't play until the second week used to be a thing five-six years ago maybe, but games just don't have launch issues anymore.

I am the .00000001428%
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #231 on: August 28, 2013, 03:34:58 PM

I just bought the cheapish digital download.  It took less than an hour to download so I reckon they're doing that dl as you play or whatever that is.  I can hardly move and the loading takes ages.  It reminds me of Horizons' lag.  Bleh.  It took me FOREVER to figure out how to make the UI stuff smaller!  I wish I could make the chat box little and non-usable but I haven't sorted that out.  Double Bleh.  It's pretty though.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:47 PM

The thing is we don't.  I can't remember the last game that had major launch issues (wow maybe?).  Don't play until the second week used to be a thing five-six years ago maybe, but games just don't have launch issues anymore.

Guild Wars 2.  It was completely unplayable on launch day and wasn't much better the next few.  They also took down their digital sales for a week while they fixed it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: August 28, 2013, 03:58:56 PM

Diablo 3's launch was pretty horrible too. Error 37, much?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:25 PM

Its an imperfect game for sure, with, in my opinion, many very outdated systems.  Healing feels as close to an Everquest cleric as I can remember in the last 10 years, which makes it both boring and also easy.  Still, it does *feel* like Final Fantasy.  I think if you accept the basic premise that this is an online FF and not a next gen MMO, you will enjoy it.  It could certainly use a ton of polish when it comes to cut scenes, quest direction, and class balancing though, but its not as if they have anything to compete with.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: August 28, 2013, 07:07:23 PM

While having to spam the login is a PITA, it only took about five minutes of doing so to get online tonight and once in, everything runs swimmingly despite very high numbers in the area.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: August 29, 2013, 03:19:37 AM

While having to spam the login is a PITA, it only took about five minutes of doing so to get online tonight and once in, everything runs swimmingly despite very high numbers in the area.

I find this to be the interesting part.  Yeah login sucks, but if you get to play the dam thing...it runs flawless.  I have had 0 lag, no FPS problems, haven't crashed, the game runs great for a launch and its busy as hell.   Also, unless I missed it I haven't run into a single noticeable bug.  Every quest works, crafting works, abilities work, etc. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #237 on: August 29, 2013, 03:36:07 AM

The game works great. Getting to it is the issue...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: August 29, 2013, 04:49:38 AM

I will say this:  Having cut scenes with no voice acting is...jarring in 2013.  I don't need voice acting for quest text and the like (Star Wars proved that, after the first few hours,I skipped everything) but if you're going to make a cutscene..I feel like I need voice acting.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #239 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:51 AM

The first time I played I had lots of lag in the city.  It was to the point that it was hard to control movement.  The second time, none.  Of course, the second time I started a new character on a much emptier server.  I've not been outside the city yet. 

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: August 29, 2013, 07:32:10 AM

Technically what they've done is pretty amazing. In original FFXIV if there was a single other person anywhere near my character (they didn't have to be onscreen even) the game stuttered horribly. It runs better now with 50 people onscreen than it did then with 1.

It's too bad they didn't have this crew working on the game from the start.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #241 on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:27 PM

I've been outside!  :)  It runs perfectly even on a full server.  YAY!  I don't know if I'll subscribe.  It's nice to have a month included with the $30 price tag.  If I don't, I'll give it over to my sister.  She'd LOVE this game and she's so new at this that MMORGs still fill her with awe and wonder.  Like fucking magic and stuff.  Of course, she has a MAC with a Windows partition so ....  Wish I still had my PS3 but I left it in London. 

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:42 PM

I've been trying to play with a friend but so far he hasn't been able to make a character on the server our guild is on.

Today I said, let's just make characters on a low population server and transfer to the guild server when they allow transfers.

It turns out every single NA and EU server is full and not accepting new characters. It might only be a prime time thing (or maybe not, I don't know) but right now it is impossible for anyone to make a new character, unless you want to play on a Japanese server.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: August 29, 2013, 01:42:14 PM

The word is that the Japs jumped ship and migrated to the US servers so they could have others to play with.  With the language translator scripts, it does make it rather lucrative.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: August 29, 2013, 02:34:25 PM

I've been trying to play with a friend but so far he hasn't been able to make a character on the server our guild is on.

Today I said, let's just make characters on a low population server and transfer to the guild server when they allow transfers.

It turns out every single NA and EU server is full and not accepting new characters. It might only be a prime time thing (or maybe not, I don't know) but right now it is impossible for anyone to make a new character, unless you want to play on a Japanese server.

I wanted to try some of the other classes but I couldn't even make another character on the same server (Exodus) that my 3 other characters are on.  So now I'm stuck waiting for the server to open up before I can play other classes...or jobs...or whatever the fuck they're called in this game.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: