Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: UI 2.0 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UI 2.0  (Read 35906 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 09:01:37 AM

I still play every day. There are so many things I don't like at the moment but it's still a dream came true. If it doesn't improve eventually I'll get really bored but for some reason I keep playing every day and I can't think of any other game that has kept my interest for this long in the last five years.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:53:48 PM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 01:54:04 PM

New UI screen. With more colour coding for weapon types.

EDIT: Also, this has been officially said.

This is coming with the new lobby system (yet to be fully revealed). Players will be able to bring a bunch of mechs with them in their own DropShip. They will also be able to vote for the map to be played, and be able to select from the mechs available to them in their DropShip.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:59:39 PM by Falconeer »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 02:18:49 PM

That's utterly fuckstupid.  No way at all certain maps will never get played in that scenario.   swamp poop

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:58 PM

Mech sniper has subsided a little.  I'm noticing that a lot of players are being much more sneaky and that teams of 'Pure' Snipers are actually getting owned quite hard.  No, the real problem with the current state of play is how nasty these sniper mechs can be up close - They are just as dangerous, if not more so.  That's the real imbalance here.  If I'm sitting with tons of short range weapons at a 58 damage loadout, I'm just as likely to die versus the current Gauss/PPC/AC build who's nasty from miles away, but will still core me when I lurch into their view.

Definitely the same complaint I have, I can catch the bad snipers from behind and take them out but good ones just smash you down with the ER PPC no bother. Would more heat on the ER PPC help? I just don't know
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49:21 PM

More heat would certainly help.  I don't run 6PPCs because I don't like waiting that long between shots, but I'm eeking towards doing it just so I have high enough alpha to fuck whoever I see.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 02:58:08 PM

That mechlab is horrid.

Edit :  And what's the 4th Hardpoint Huh

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 04:07:54 PM

That mechlab is horrid.

Edit :  And what's the 4th Hardpoint Huh

Agreed - what's the orange A?  AMS?

*Should be working*
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 05:03:40 PM

That's utterly fuckstupid.  No way at all certain maps will never get played in that scenario.   swamp poop

Then they can make better maps or edit existing ones based upon that data

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 07:51:35 AM

Could we be seeing the first bash at Clan Omni-hardpoints ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:28 AM

I'd like my friends list a lot better if people still played this game.

Seems to require too much social interaction. Or a mic.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 12:46:19 AM

'Mech quirks.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 07:51:27 AM

Hey, I bought a headset (with mic) weeks ago :P

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:12 AM

Hey, I bought a headset (with mic) weeks ago :P

More to do with wife aggro than owning a mic.  I can't be yelling at people. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:03 PM

On social tools:

We're going to be posting some WIP shots shortly. Social is a big term, that means a lot of different things to different players. Internally we have split this concept into multiple aspects - associations (groups, factions, merc units, none), and communication (channels and private messages), being the two largest buckets.

The first WIP will deal with the later, featuring more about the interfaces to communicate with other players, regardless of association. ETA later this week.

Thanks again for all the great feedback. We're integrating as much of the bigger concepts as possible for UI 2.0.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 02:32:31 PM

Social tools. Friends list, chat, channels, etc.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 02:37:40 PM

From the recent Dev Q&A:

Harmin: Could we have an indicator in the friends list if someone listed there is currently grouped or not? Perhaps even a looking-for-group indicator flag they can toggle?

A: With UI 2.0 yes.

Zwanglos: Will there eventually be the ability, in 8-mans/12-mans, to pre-assign lances before even pressing the Launch button? Will premades (esp. 8-mans/12-mans when that comes) be able to see mechs listed in the Group tab? Could the UI automatically tally the max weight of the entire group?

A: Yes! And yes! We’re going to be showing of the new group/pre-launch (lobby) screens very soon.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 01:34:43 AM

More work in progress pictures. I especially like what I see in the last one.

The above screen shot demonstrates some of the channel functionality. NOTE: THE ACTUAL CHANNELS ARE PLACE HOLDER.

Here you can see some improvements to the chat window - timestamp and user name. Along with a VERY early work in progress group interface window.

Graphical Group view - note the DropShip icon. This allows players to see what BattleMechs our are bringing to the fight.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 01:26:01 PM

Dropship inspect functionality. With future game updates, players will be able to bring a number of mechs with them to the battlefield. This inspect tool allows leaders and players to quickly see what they have at their disposal. More info will be released in the future about this new lobby functionality.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 03:37:25 AM

"Early public tests in late September/October. Delivery around the end of October or Early November".

I am honestly really shocked and mad at PGI for the first time. This is insanely ridiculous. I know they did their best (who doesn't?) but obviously they have a serious shortage of talented engineers (apparently there's 4 engineers and 2 artists working on UI 2.0 and have been working on it for at least four months). So I am not even mad at them for failing to deliver, because I truly believe whoever was working there did their best, but for failing to hire people good enough to do what is STANDARD for any game of this kind way before launch (usually similar games like World of Tanks/Planes, Warthunder, Star Conflict  -all developed in Russia- got into beta with a million times better UI). Damn it, hire a Russian and whatever secret know-how they hide if that is what it takes to make a decent interface in less than a year.

Listen to this podcast for the whole bunch of excuses.

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php/topic,922.0.html

This is a fiasco of massive proportion considering the game is being 'launched' with pretty much the same pathetic placeholder UI it had when it was in closed Alpha.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:00 AM

I really thought they'd launch with atleast the new UI when they decided to launch before implementing CW but I guess we should be happy that they are planning to add the UI this year...  Ohhhhh, I see.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 06:02:01 AM

I really thought they'd launch with atleast the new UI when they decided to launch before implementing CW but I guess we should be happy that they are planning to add the UI this year...  Ohhhhh, I see.
I would not bet on that.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 05, 2013, 06:07:29 AM

I've been defending them for a long time, based on the fact that I still love the core game and that I was pretty sure some of the major features were coming with launch.

This is where they lose me.

This 'launch' makes no sense and the bottom line is that in 13 months since the beginning of the beta they didn't add a single thing to support the meta-game, no rankings, no corps, no chat, no factions, no statistics, no achievements, and not a decent UI that allows me to pick a 'mech among my 30+ without going insane every time. Bryan's interview is disgusting because he doesn't have the good taste to shut his mouth about "the store" features that have been holding UI 2.0 behind, and his lack of perception about how majorly damaging for the game is to release with the ALPHA UI is disturbing.

The game will be torched by the press at launch and reviews will butcher it, and I could be wrong here but I am pretty sure having a decent UI that doesn't look ten years old would have helped its chances at least a bit.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 05, 2013, 06:14:22 AM

<If I could find it this is where I would repost that list of PGI's games and their metacritics scores.>

Jeez if they've lost Falcon then it must be really bad.

I would seriously be ok with this game if I didn't take 85% of damage taken to my CT. I still think something is fucked up there.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:35 AM

Let me put it this way:

They come up witha GREAT game in alpha state in August 2012.

At launch, September 2013, the game is still in that Alpha state. It is the alpha I've enjoyed the most in my entire life, but that's what it is. So 'featurelss' that it cannot be really called a beta by common standards (I am sure it can by technical ones).

I am not gonna quit playing right now, because I still enjoy the combat (every night), but this is a hard blow because by the time they will add everything pretty much everyone will be completely burned out with it.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 05, 2013, 07:05:53 AM

Yeah, that's why I only dip my toe in the water every so often. I want to avoid the burnout before I can, potentially, really enjoy the game. Also would be helped by joining a clan that is actually active too.

On a lighter note, realized I have 11k MC still lying around and bought myself a Victor last night. Have thoughts of fitting 3 UAC 5s on it for funs, but had a good enough time tottering around meatcannoning ppl. There is nothing as satisfying as landing AC20 hits in this game.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 05, 2013, 07:09:34 AM

Agree on the AC20, the POOOOM is orgamisc. It's the first thing I slapped on my Onion right after the patch. The Victor is a really good 'mech, one of my friends melts faces with it regularly.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 05, 2013, 09:11:53 AM

My favorite right now is Muromets with 2* lbx10 and 2* flamer (+tag). Stupidly fun why so serious?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:43 AM

Flamers? Do they do anything beyond chuckles?

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 05, 2013, 09:30:12 AM

Flamers? Do they do anything beyond chuckles?

They are useless but lbx+flamer combo iseems to be confusing as hell for most enemies Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 02:22:45 AM

This guy is clearly an idiot. "Reviews"? Fuck, I wonder if he believes that shit. IF he does, I'd love to see his face on September 18th.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: September 06, 2013, 05:59:57 AM

They mean the reviews they paid for in the few magazines still out there are due to publish that month.

In the end it's all down to marketing, as they would have set those reviews up as well.  If you haven't realized it yet, Marketing drives this particular boat in a very, very big way.  That's why you continue to see new Premiums on a regular basis and new chassis (which drive MC sales) but little else.  All time is spent feeding those dev. interests.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #66 on: September 06, 2013, 09:35:41 AM

I love how the day after launch is no different than the day before. Yeah, because what are customer expectations?

I'm glad I never spent a dime on this one.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 06, 2013, 09:41:48 AM

But you will in the future, because in about three years (four?) this is gonna be awesome!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 09:47:03 AM

I'd rather spend that time building my own goddamn mech. I'd probably get it done quicker with more features.  why so serious?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 10, 2013, 01:40:15 AM

I think there's something seriously wrong with Bryan Ekman's head.

Say you are in trouble, as your UI 2.0 is being delayed again and again and your community is at war. So you decide to throw them a bone hoping to chill them out, and share a few screen shots from the upcoming reworked UI. You would choose a nice screenshot, one that looks pretty, looks functional, looks exciting, wouldn't you? Yeah, well, clearly you are not Bryan Ekman. The guy who chooses two screens with a stupid useless resolution of 5700x1200, where "buy" and "store" are pretty much the only visible keywords, and where no new features are even hinted about.

Facepalm

(Here's the original links if you wanna try and get a better view - http://i.imgur.com/vdGTL0u.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/QxygBoF.jpg )

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: UI 2.0  
Jump to: