Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: UI 2.0 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UI 2.0  (Read 35935 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: May 09, 2013, 06:04:21 AM

OH HELL YEAH. AT LAST. Some info and a bit of a fake preview.

Let's get started!

UI 2.0 is a significant overhaul of the existing MWO user interface, both on the surface and under the hood.

Three main goals:

- Reduce friction for new players.
- Communicate information in a clear and simple manner.
- Make each screen relevant to the task at hand (contextual).

And one bonus goal:

- Make the Front End a little more sexy.

General Improvements

- Full support for Windowed, Full Screen, and Full Window view modes.
- Supports standard game resolutions 1024x768 to 1920x1200.
- More dynamic, lots of nice transitions, takes advantage of Scaleform and Flash animations.
- Supports element locking, useful for new players and tutorials.
- Frames-safe for 4:3 resolutions.
- New behind the scene UI architecture reduces bad states, improves stability, and reliability.
- Faster.

NOTE: The following images are mock-ups (not screen shots). They represent Work In Progress (WIP) concepts that are subject to change. The data and item images found within these screens is not correct, and place holder only.

Elements

1 Horizontal Navigation Bar
2 Utility Bar
3 Vertical Navigation Bar
4 Contextual Status Menu
5 At-a-glance BattleMech Details
6 List Filtering
7 Compare Tool
8 List Item
9 Mech Efficiency Status

Overview

- The horizontal navigation bar (1) has been made larger and easier to read.
- The previous horizontal sub-nav bar has been replaced by a vertical nav bar (3).
- The previous status bar has been split into the new utility bar (2) and the contextual status menu (4).
- The previous two `Mech detail elements have been reworked slightly and separated (5). The Mech Detail screen gives players a much better overall view of the Mech loadout.
- Standardized list element for all store and MechLab interfaces. Includes the ability to filter based on common concepts like A-Z, Price High to Low, Owned, Not Owned, In-Game, etc. (6).
- Easy compare functionality standard throughout the UI. (7)
- Standard list elements (8) showing Selected, Readied, Sale Status, In-Game Status, Price information, buy and configure buttons, and the Mech type and Name.
- Current Mech Efficiency status – Basic, Elite, Master. (9)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:06:11 AM by Falconeer »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:08:07 AM

Shift + Tab for social tools = they still don't understand it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:10:00 AM

More.

As you can see in the above image, we have moved the main navigation elements around. This follows our new principal navigation flow as seen below:

The horizontal navigation bar (1) will inform (change) the vertical navigation bar (2), which in turn changes the main view.

Menu and Social buttons have been replace by Logout and Settings, along with a new global chat/social interface similar to Steam.

The old status bar has been split, with relevant meta data (MC, CB, GXP), being moved to a Contextual Status Menu that changes depending on which screen you are currently in. The current view expresses the MechLab Status Menu.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:12:47 AM

The new Mech Selection screen is much more streamlined, allowing players to quickly find, select, modify, buy, and sell their equipment.

This common list view element is used throughout the MechLab and Store interfaces. No longer will players need to learn 3-5 different ways to modify or view information about their items.

Note how we have used the vertical nav bar to sort Mechs by class! Further refinement can be down by using drop down list view filters.

Buying BatlteMechs and MechBays has never been more easy.

Players can will be able to quickly compare Mechs and Items, using the compare tool.

Note the sell button!

Mech Details

tem Details

Configure Loadout

Equipment

Camo Spec

Configure Weapon Groups!

Reworked Pilot Lab makes finding, navigating, and upgrading MechTree much easier.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:14:29 AM

Shift + Tab for social tools = they still don't understand it.

More than anything I guess that means the game will never be on Steam.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 06:31:17 AM

Fuck me, a wall of info appears.

Can we save mech type templates ?

EDIT :  No.  Apparently not.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:36:34 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:50:07 AM

We definitely need a "Save Template" option, and we absolutely need a screen with all the 'mech stats like amount of torso twisting, turning speed and all that, along with specific quirks. If they drop the ball on this they are just fuckin idiots.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:51:39 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:52:08 AM

What the fuck.

ACK!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:48:09 AM

Internal testing starts in late July. Public test mid to late August. Live late Summer.

Question:
Was there a "Strip Mech" button for unequipping everything... or will there be an ability to save Loadouts that would really negate the need for a Strip button?

Bryan Ekman's answer:
Strip mech - yes. Loadouts are still being discussed internally.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 09:02:14 AM

What's to fucking discuss ?

I want a chassis and a pile of parts.  When I go to game, I want to click 'skirmish' or 'long range' or 'whimsy' and find myself in battle with the loadout of my choice.

Because anything else is just bollocks.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:10:15 AM

Weapon grouping out of matching....good.

Where is the new social stuff, did I miss it?

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 09:14:18 AM

Yeah, I think you missed it.

It was flashing down the bottom corner of your screen.

awesome, for real

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:29:43 AM

Nicely done :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 10:59:06 AM

Weapon grouping out of matching....good.

Where is the new social stuff, did I miss it?

There isn't any beyond the one line that says "Hit Shift+Tab to see social options."   

Because putting it on a completely separate screen where it doesn't even show on the main UI is an even better idea.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

They stated in that thread that the social stuff and the inventory screen are still hidden, but they are gonna be there of course. Same for the Community Warfare parts of the UI.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 01:22:02 PM

NOTE: The following images are mock-ups (not screen shots). They represent Work In Progress (WIP) concepts that are subject to change. The data and item images found within these screens is not correct, and place holder only.

In other words, they haven't actually done any of this stuff. They're still thinking about doing it.

After half a year.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:26:49 PM by Goreschach »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 01:54:14 PM

They have people skills Goddamit.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:23 AM

Ekman replied specifically to my request, which is good because I was really annoyed annoyed at the lack of info on that:

Lefteye, on 09 May 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:
Also DO NOT FORGET to add a line for 'mech quirks and specific 'mech statistics, like amount of torso twist, turn rate and so on. That stuff is REALLY important, and we all love numbers. Do not drop the ball, this shouldn't be too hard right? Right.

Ekman's reply: Coming soon with some tweaked mock ups.

Good.

Also, on social stuff someone pointed out what Merusk already did:

InMidnightClad, on 09 May 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:
Bryan, Now that you're back and poking around in this thread would you mind taking a moment to address the concern about Hiding Social features behind a keyboard shortcut (For the Steam Overlay) instead of a dedicated button? It's popped up a few time and people (Myself included) are a little anxious to see the social aspect of this game trivialized.

I don't think removing a button trivializes the social aspect. In both cases - button or text, players always know how to get to social features. Based on some of the other feedback - having chat always on screen etc. We're still looking at ways to improve this and make sure we give players enough tools to quickly connect with friends and other players.

As for grouping and faction/merc corp/group chat and launch features, stay tuned for a WIP shot. We've changed a bunch of things related to launching the game that should address player concerns/suggestions as well.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:27:05 AM by Falconeer »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 01:11:44 AM

That reply tells me that haven't learned shit from the mistakes.

Social Tools need to be upfront and in your face AT ALL TIMES.  For fucks sake, it's the most important part of the game for most.  And those for whom it's not will soon learn...

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 05:00:39 AM

About the social stuff, seems like they are trying to listen to the players. The Devs opened a thread specifically to see what players are expecting (since they obviously didn't get it so far).

Then Ekman made a comment that tells me they are at least aware of the dissatisfaction (what's a WIP by the way?):

Disgruntled player said:
the social aspect of this game is what needs the most improvement in this game, imo. i like the looks of the new ui but to me its nothing more than fluff. i want to see improvements to the social aspects of the game. i was hoping to see some improvements here, unfortunately ive been disappointed.

Bryan Ekman said:
Don't be disappointed! We haven't showed it to you yet! Hold tight, WIP will be coming soon.

and on loudouts/templates:

Mech loadouts are being discussed internally. We like the concept, just need to make sure it plays nice with the game architecture (secured/safe transactions between client and server). Moving items around is designed to be very safe and foolproof, so once the technical aspects are solved I would expect to see this show up. The new UI is being designed to have this ability.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 05:36:21 AM

Work In Progress.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 05:39:05 AM

Mech loadouts are being discussed internally. We like the concept, just need to make sure it plays nice with the game architecture (secured/safe transactions between client and server). Moving items around is designed to be very safe and foolproof, so once the technical aspects are solved I would expect to see this show up. The new UI is being designed to have this ability.

This makes zero sense.  I don't even know why you'd bring this up as a thing.  The template loadout would just be a way to save previous configurations.  If you want us to go into the mechlab to apply them, fair enough.  But 'Secure Transactions' is just nonsense.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 06:01:32 AM

Do these guys not speak English natively? Is there some sort of translation problem?  I had the exact same thought as Ironwood; that whole paragraph makes ZERO sense.  Are they thinking the players are talking about trading equipment between players and not just a simple "Gassapult vs. PPCapult" loadout template?

Unless what you bought for your mechlab is stored locally? Which would be just crazypants on head clownshoes nonsense.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 06:49:08 AM

Well, they ARE Canadian....

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 06:56:36 AM

I'd like my friends list a lot better if people still played this game.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:42 AM

Well I'm still waiting till mech sniper online goes away before I play again, probably going to wait at least another 4 weeks anyway.

On the loadout thing, if the ultimate aim is for players to be easily able to share builds, then you have the issue of a player loading a build he doesn't have the parts for.  As that could include hero mechs that need mc, maybe they want a load build screen with a buy button to encourage people speeding mc (the secured/safe transactions bit).

Also I got the feeling months ago that they weren't in a hurry to have easily switchable loadouts as the current solution is just to buy two mechs of the same type, I know I used to do that before the final wipe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 07:05:52 AM

I still play 3-5 matches a day almost every day, but I never see anyone else doing so.   Played a few last night after my WOT matches, in fact.  (My ELO seems to have plummeted. My teams are back to doing fuckstupid things like running off alone or not following the targets of my ECM-PPC Spider instead of being reasonably competent and coordinated)

Also I got the feeling months ago that they weren't in a hurry to have easily switchable loadouts as the current solution is just to buy two mechs of the same type, I know I used to do that before the final wipe.

Seems foolish.  I'll spend the time swapping rather than buy another bay on top of the nutty C-bill grind to get another chassis. Cost:Benefit says I come out on top spending 5 mins rejiggering with my parts library and bookmarks to builds on Mechromancer vs. 40+ hours to get 9 million for another 4F.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 07:11:02 AM

Before the wipe you got free MC and there were only a few mechs at the time, they'll have noticed people did it though.  Think I had two k2's, couple of the same atlas, forget which one now.  I've considered doing it for the stalker 5m as it's a nice srm or lrm boat, or was before they broke srm's and lrm's.

Also the amount I played Cbills were never really a problem.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14:22 AM

I'd like my friends list a lot better if people still played this game.

Definitely will be trying to get a few games every now again timezones giving
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 07:15:15 AM

Mech sniper has subsided a little.  I'm noticing that a lot of players are being much more sneaky and that teams of 'Pure' Snipers are actually getting owned quite hard.  No, the real problem with the current state of play is how nasty these sniper mechs can be up close - They are just as dangerous, if not more so.  That's the real imbalance here.  If I'm sitting with tons of short range weapons at a 58 damage loadout, I'm just as likely to die versus the current Gauss/PPC/AC build who's nasty from miles away, but will still core me when I lurch into their view.

I don't really understand your point though Arthur, since swapping loadouts between players seems like a waste of time and something you wouldn't do.  Also, if you don't have 'the bits' the loadout should just fail or partially build, in which case, tough tittie.

I still enjoy it, but not as much as I used to and it's downright fucking annoying when you die to poptarting bullshit.  Also, the Blackjack excites me not a bit and, more importantly, it's another Ballistic/Energy mech that can jump.  Gee, I wonder what people will load onto it ??

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:10 AM

I usually log in once or twice a day just to see noone on my friends list in game and then maybe playing a match or two but rarely more  Ohhhhh, I see.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 07:58:18 AM

I don't really understand your point though Arthur, since swapping loadouts between players seems like a waste of time and something you wouldn't do.  Also, if you don't have 'the bits' the loadout should just fail or partially build, in which case, tough tittie.

Larger groups have approved builds, some groups are very strict about it.  I generally take an approved build and snowflake it a little if I'm dropping in a group, though way back before we got really organised you used to figure out your own.  

It's surprising how much shit your own team will give you on comms if they think your build is shit.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:04:10 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 08:00:33 AM

Fuck 'em.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:48 AM

Well only really happened to me bad once and I told the guy to go fuck himself as he'd died 1st.  Some people get serious about robots.

8 mans especially more teams than not will all be using set builds, especially in the various tournament matches I played in.  Loading a build would make all that an awful lot easier, plus it's a lot simpler for new players/members.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: UI 2.0  
Jump to: