Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191825 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #525 on: December 10, 2017, 04:52:29 PM

But here's the thing that stood out:  when someone holds a node or outpost or whatever, they can put whatever picture they want on the banner?  There are several spots with the emblem being a close up of some random dude's face, like the player took a selfie with a cheap cam.  Talk about immersion breaking.  Here I felt like someone broke into my house irl and sat on my couch while I played BDO.
Yeah. Allowing user-generated content to be publicly displayed in these sorts of games is rarely a good idea. On my Tera server there is a guild that has* the Avengers "A" symbol as their guild symbol and you see it flying into Velika which is the most popular of the main cities in the world.

* or had, I haven't been on in a while

Edit: adding quote from previous page
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:13:00 PM by Trippy »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #526 on: June 13, 2018, 11:35:47 AM

Not sure if this has been done in other MMOs, but it sounds new to me. Definitely not a big thing, just a weird one that if possible makes Black Desert even more unique. Anyway, you can now flirt with NPCs and try to date them. There are 15 that you can ask out, and after some time they will let players know if they wanna go out with you or not.

https://blackdesertonline.com/news/view/1464

It seems to be just another grind, but I like this kind of crap in sandbox MMOs. Hell, they can even break up with you and will send you an ingame email about it. Hah.

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: June 13, 2018, 09:36:56 PM

Not sure if this has been done in other MMOs, but it sounds new to me. Definitely not a big thing, just a weird one that if possible makes Black Desert even more unique. Anyway, you can now flirt with NPCs and try to date them. There are 15 that you can ask out, and after some time they will let players know if they wanna go out with you or not.

https://blackdesertonline.com/news/view/1464

It seems to be just another grind, but I like this kind of crap in sandbox MMOs. Hell, they can even break up with you and will send you an ingame email about it. Hah.

/target Crio
/say Sup
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: August 24, 2018, 09:30:16 AM

Black Desert has been "Remastered". What is clearly the best looking MMORPG ever made (fight me) just became even more gorgeous thanks to some new light processing technologies. They also redid all the environmental sounds to make it feel even more alive and realistic.

In other, older news, BDO is still amazing and immense. Since launch it had four major expansion (all free) with a fifth coming soon. They also added 8 classes bringing the total to 16, and the amount of land and content is huge. Also, a truckload of "catch up" mechanics are in place these days to help new players get to level 56 in a matter of hours if they so desire and provide them with good gear and money.

Remaster trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PuUCEquPTg

Graphics update comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X8bEx3mrao

This game is clearly not for everybody, it just has too many things that are different from all other MMORPGs and it can be overwhelming, but I guess that's why I consider it the best to come out in the last ten years. Best combat ever -by far-, best graphics -by far-, best world. Should any of you ever willing to give it another shot feel free to ask me all sorts of questions. While I still haven'tunderstood everything myself, cause there is just too much, I have put into it a million hours so I might be able to help.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: August 24, 2018, 04:50:42 PM

The remastered hasn't really done anything about the ludicrous grinding, rng enhancing, class imbalances or all the bugs that exist. It IS very pretty, making an already gorgeous game even "shinier" (and shiny would be UNDERSTATING), but the power of your machine is directly related to how much "re-mastered" should interest you. The game barely played on some machines, so this really could be better and worse at the same time.

The remaster, to me (as someone still playing this), mostly feels like it's an attempt at glossing over the April/May combat changes that basically drove away the active PVP populations in droves, and to possibly lure some players back. There are barely, BARELY, trickles of information from Korea and the developers (with horrible CS and communication from the publisher), and they continue to make decisions that aren't popular with the players (+ region disparity is really, really giving them a black eye with NA/EU).

I still play this and the remaster actually helped significantly with pop-in and render times, and does actually work reasonably well on my machine. The fps drop was avg around 10-15 for me, from around 50-60, but it spikes way less and seems more stable. I'll drop screenshots if anyone is interested.

"DATING" MMO NPCS announcement lel

/target Crio
/say Sup
Eileen in Velia (img link) REFUSES to accept my sincere confessions of love, even after all the potion sales I give her.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:05:45 PM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: August 24, 2018, 07:33:17 PM

The remastered hasn't really done anything about the ludicrous grinding, rng enhancing, class imbalances

Your problems with the game are the problems you have when you have played too much of any game. Of course the Remaster (which by the way has been in the work for more than a year) is just gloss but it's free gloss for something that is already very shiny. Very much less so when you have reached the soft cap of course.

or all the bugs

Seriously? I can't think of any meaningful bug at this point. Which ones bother you the most?

Anyway, I roll my eyes a bit at the usual "unpopular decisions blah blah drove away old guard players blah blah".  Black Desert is so much better now than it was when it came out in the West two years ago, which is the reason why I felt like necroing this thread. You just have to remember that it's a Korean MMO and it's not gonna stop being one anytime soon.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: August 24, 2018, 09:05:42 PM

or all the bugs

Seriously? I can't think of any meaningful bug at this point. Which ones bother you the most?
The corrupt file error the game throws??!? that's been happening since launch for some people?? and started last September for me..

Every three to four times I swap characters, or sometimes just for NO REASON after a few hours (even minimized).. The game gives a corrupt file error, forces me to do a FULL FILE SCAN, and downloads ONLY a single zip file. This has been happening to me on and off since last September (more frequent since April), and I even TRIED assisting their feeble CS people with trying to bring a possible fix to Korea (but they want me to buy a whole new pc as tech support, and won't escalate my errors, complaints, and suspicions to Pearl Abyss "until they've completed all their troubleshooting steps").

Their last advice was that it was the speed of my HD and to "upgrade", and even after changing BDO to the OS SSD, there's zero change. It's something with the game's net communication along with how it writes local cache files about your characters/map pathing, but I can only go by my own observances (of paths I cleared reappearing or Alchemy Stone checkboxes refilling themselves after I have done the file check).

I've noticed they fix niggling little bugs, for the most part really quickly, but "the corrupt file error" had been around for this game's entire lifespan, and it's a result of their programming, not anything they'd like to blame on machines. The combat changes also introduced bugs, for the Ranger, Valkyrie, Warrior, and Berzerker classes, that still haven't been addressed, along with some things they did in the interest of balance being the furthest from it (Renown score, I'm looking at u).

Anyway, I roll my eyes a bit at the usual "unpopular decisions blah blah drove away old guard players blah blah".  Black Desert is so much better now than it was when it came out in the West two years ago, which is the reason why I felt like necroing this thread. You just have to remember that it's a Korean MMO and it's not gonna stop being one anytime soon.
I actually LOVE IT because it's a Korean MMO. I'm enjoying it, despite it wanting to close itself every few hours for a 10 minute scan of the game files.  I also am not trying to get to max or "soft cap", instead just happily doing lifeskills, boss fights, and guild hunting, while every once in a while seeking minor gains (in gear or levels).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:07:33 PM by taolurker »

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: October 15, 2018, 06:05:26 AM

So, hey there's some other "news" about this game, that some people might not have heard..

Firstly, they've now officially moved the game into Free to Play, announcing a new incentive program; for newly created 7 day trial accounts, that will unlock the game FREE if you can get a character awakened (level 56) during the trial period. This was announced as celebration/commemoration for having 10 million registered users (when I'd guess the NA population is possibly around 30k consistantly). This is their page about the milestone, and the free game requirements>> https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/1888

Also, sort of un-ironically IMO, this week also was the "closing" of the Russian/Croatia version of Black Desert Online published by Gamenet. Pearl Abyss had only a temporary publishing agreement, and was intending to take over publishing themselves (hey, lets buy CCP?) but, in a move that heralds exactly how little caring for customers matters to video game developers like Pearl Abyss, they will reopen the Russia/CiS game servers but WIPED, including the destruction of all customer info, purchases, and earned game content. MMORPG.com article

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: October 15, 2018, 07:42:50 AM

They were non-compliant to the official version is what I've read. A lot of pay2win stuff. Still, can't imagine being a player from those region and being told "we are wiping your progress of three years, sorry not sorry".

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: October 28, 2018, 11:44:07 PM

Another quasi bunch of BDO news, that is worth mentioning, along with updates on the previous news about the SA/RS Gamenet arrangement and Pearl Abyss. From what news has been released, there is an agreement to migrate character data, but it needs to first be compliant with laws, and it seemed like it was suggested that it might need to be done manually on a case by case basis. It was a russian translated announcement I read from Gamenet, that was vague, suggesting there would be updates, but not happen prior to Dec. That temporary free to play also ended, but there's also news about other versions.

At Twitch Con, and the week prior to it, they did a lot of hype for the Xbox version going to beta along with having a huge presence at Twitch Con with playable versions. There's also news about a Mobile version, that again was shown to limited people, but the Xbox version goes to beta on Nov 8th. They also have been hyping the Archer class and had a playble version at Twitch Con, with some streams showing it.

Kakao games had a large booth with the Xbox and PC versions playable there (with lvl 60 powered characters to see Drieghan on PC), ; along with tournaments (the guild 3v3 was interesting for $10k). The Twitch part of it tho for the most part was cringe, even the couple of streamers who I do know/watch>> it was kind of painful them doing old content (Drieghan) and a half finished Archer class. Honestly, the production values were not up to par for what they were (stream amateurish sound/mod issues + a female host with zero pre knowledge of BDO at all- hired who knows why). IMO Kakao could've done better, and I don't know if this helped or hurt them.

Twitch stream chat was kinda insane, and tragic, especially with them giving free stuff all day long... but I usually watch streams a bunch daily anyway. /shrug

edit to add > Also forgot to add, last week they revamped the UI (so it looks like Mass Effect 2007 imo- so crap compared to a fantasy style it had previous). Still think they don't know what they're doing at Pearl Abyss, and I think this is a huge comedy extra to my gaming. The QQ whining IN GAME is still laugh a minute.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:53:33 PM by taolurker »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: January 17, 2019, 01:15:55 AM

They added a pretty well-developed Battle Royale mode inside the game.

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/2252?lang=en

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #536 on: January 18, 2019, 02:08:33 PM

PC combat = some of the best. Insanely fast. Lots of moves. Interesting controls but not interesting in a terrible way.

PVE content = some of the worst, everything bad about korean zone and mob design coupled with zero ai, zero meaningful attacks etc. idk if it magically becomes real pve later but BiiF 10 hours /played? nope. its shit. the worst shit. So much worse than Tera. I'd say even worse than BnS.

The grind = some of the worst. the leveling is super easy. but the gear grind is obviously dick smashing and not in the fun find rare gear way. in the will i win the upgrade lottery way that only appeals to asian gamers for whatever the fuck reason.

PvP = can't tell, looks sort of cool, def a great dueling game. can def outskill people regardless of what earlier posters have said. but its very level/gear advantageous and i can't tell if any of the world pvp is any good and its gated behind a shitton of gear grind.

Its a real mmo. like it feels like one, players everywhere, not too heavily instanced, the hubs feel like they are part of something. it all falls apart in the killing fields of braindead meatsack mobs that respawn instantly but what can you do.

GFX = holy shit. best looking mmo ever for sure right? the character creation is insane. like so overwhelming i had to just use the awesome beauty parlour feature (you can just go through full setups made by others) and then tweak someone else's thing enough so that it felt like my own character.

I got to L37 in like 4 days of not that much play but I don't have time for it and I doubt I'll ever get to the good parts. Oh and I hate crafting. Soooo its a bad fit because this game has a lot of fucking crafting. A lot a lot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:33:56 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: January 18, 2019, 02:29:25 PM

Everything you said is right. And there's more. A lot more stuff you can uncover in the sandbox department. Also true about the grind. That's what Koreans want though so can't blame the devs for making the game them and their people want to play. I actually ground A LOT in this game (got to level 60 and let me tell you that it is fast until 56, then all of a sudden it turns into a nightmare) and had "fun". I can understand the mindless trance you get into that somehow feels good, although I'd never describe it as fun. A great MMORPG in my opinion, a really unique one and deeper than it looks. Too bad that the PvE philosophy underneath it is not for everyone.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: January 19, 2019, 01:54:54 PM

Once the game is not fun to play, it goes from amazing to trash. As in, once you stop having fun with the actual combat and pulling off combos, the game becomes shallow and boring.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: January 20, 2019, 12:12:23 AM

Once the game is not fun to play, it goes from amazing to trash. As in, once you stop having fun with the actual combat and pulling off combos, the game becomes shallow and boring.

Pretty much this.  I had a lot of fun in the game, I love the workers and contribution system (if I'm remembering the name right).  

I haven't played for quite a while now though, and haven't seen the 'remastered' changes and the newer areas.  I kinda want to check it out again but have a feeling it will get dick-punchy again pretty quickly.  Also if I remember correctly it was pretty horrible to play without the sub but they do that stupid thing where the sub costs $15 worth of their in game currency but you can only buy it in $10/20 + lots which really annoyed me.

Edit: Also just remembered the fuck stupid rng hell that is the upgrade system for equipment, and the shitty AH and lack of trading.  RNG padding and anti-farming paranoia that punish normal players really piss me off.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:25:29 AM by Wasted »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: September 06, 2019, 11:27:58 AM

This trailer is too stupid not to post it. And well of course I am not gonna waste an occasion, any occasion, to hype up Black Desert. But yes, it just launched on PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d80secXh4JE

This game keeps growing. They expanded the crafting system last wednesday, and the sailing system is next probably this coming week. Then this Winter another free land expansion (the seventh), finally about snowy regions.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #541 on: September 06, 2019, 12:34:57 PM

Where'd those panties go?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #542 on: September 09, 2019, 10:42:14 AM

Torn jeans over khaki cargo shorts is certainly a distinct look, I GUESS.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: December 10, 2019, 08:30:45 AM

Just to let you all know that the mobile version of Black Desert launches worldwide tomorrow. As expected it is technically impressive and beautiful and it looks like it's a real MMORPG as opposed to a gacha of some sort. Servers won't be online until tomorrow but you can already download it for free and create characters and play with their amazing character creator.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pearlabyss.blackdesertm.gl&hl=en

And here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rrIBXJWOuQ

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #544 on: December 29, 2019, 12:51:00 PM

Holy cow this game awesome, for real

I shouldn't have watched streams of this when it first came out in the West as watching all the Wizards grind looked really really boring and didn't show what the combat was really like. I probably would've tried it sooner if I hadn't.

Currently playing a Mystic and having fun punching and kicking things in the face (or back). Feels sort of like a combination of Akira from Virtua Fighter with his shoulder/back slams and a Martial Arts Scrapper/Stalker from City of Heroes with their kicks. I even have a hadouken just for fun, though I don't know how to actually trigger it intentionally. I still can't do combos properly most of the time but even the basic stuff is fun to do.

Too bad this game doesn't have real end-game PvE. Not sure how long I'll be playing because of that.

PVE content = some of the worst, everything bad about korean zone and mob design coupled with zero ai, zero meaningful attacks etc. idk if it magically becomes real pve later but BiiF 10 hours /played? nope. its shit. the worst shit. So much worse than Tera. I'd say even worse than BnS.
Tera has/had (haven't played in a while) very good PvE content with real, challenging dungeons and boss encounters and stuff. The low level story "boss" stuff I've fought so far in BDO is a joke compared to even the low level BAMs in Tera in terms of difficulty.

The grind = some of the worst. the leveling is super easy. but the gear grind is obviously dick smashing and not in the fun find rare gear way. in the will i win the upgrade lottery way that only appeals to asian gamers for whatever the fuck reason.
Yeah though it seems like you can use the Marketplace to bypass some/most of that now? I.e. if you can grind/AFK enough Silver you can just buy the stuff you need.

One thing I was surprised about it how janky the whole game is given how long it's been out. Yeah it looks nice but there's just so much in the game that just doesn't look or work quite right. Not sure I'll be able to get used it.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #545 on: December 29, 2019, 01:43:15 PM

I tried to give it another go, but I have three issues that will not go away:

1) this is by far the worst pve i've ever played in such a high $$$ title, just abysmal, so much worse than BnS which was already pretty bad pve. Now you can understand why it might be hard to make meaningful pve when you give players so much movement/speed/power/flexibility. And BDO is the best mmo rpg combat ever by far. Its insane.

BUT...

2) there is so much pve grinding to do. If you are going to make this crazy combat system, give up on it ever working in pve and not even try to design engaging pve... WHY THE FUCK IS THERE SO MUCH PVE? WHY GOD WHY? Now there may be a way to subsist on nothing but pvp/node/crafting type stuff, god knows there are enough confusing world control, resource systems piled on top of each other everywhere in the game. But the grind just to get to L56 and get to the baseline you can go try pvp level is a lot of stupid sack of shit mob killing and running around. I mean not too many hours invested but its just so unfun and...

3) This is what killed me in BDO on round two. The game is just so full of shit i don't care about. There are so many virtual world systems and they are everywhere, horses, markets, crafting, nodes, you pull up the map and there is just shit all over the place. I just dont have the playtime or the inclination in a game whose only redeemable gameplay is pvp to fuck about with all that other shit.

BDO should be Shadowbane in terms of non-combat game systems and game focus, hell it should at least be Age of Wushu with trade caravans being ganked and protected and whatnot. You should get to L56 in two days, gear should be borderline meaningless and the entire game should be controlling territory and sieging and whatever the fuck else. Instead it pretends its a pve game while having no pve the whole thing makes no sense. Its just infuriating and makes the barriers to understand and learn all the systems and get value from them just not a thing that feels worth doing.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: January 01, 2020, 02:47:38 PM

I always thought you could rip out the BDO combat system, put a Star Wars skin on it and make a pretty good Counterstrike PVP like game with Imperials vs. Rebels.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #547 on: January 01, 2020, 03:10:08 PM

Isn't that already Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: January 01, 2020, 04:34:48 PM

Yeah kinda but I like this combat system better.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: January 01, 2020, 05:11:42 PM

The only PVP I ever really enjoyed in BDO was their battle royale mode, because it was a level playing field; then they patched it out because everyone was exploiting and I don't know if they ever put it back in. Everything else interacts with the P2W RNG hell that all KMMOs are, with the barrier to entry set so high it was unachievable unless you catassed it or swiped your way to victory. It very much needs some more casual PVP modes which reward entry level PVP gear that's easy to upgrade.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: January 03, 2020, 05:00:47 PM

The barrier entry to PvP is simply inhuman if you are alone. I've never seen or even heard of anything like this in any other videogame ever. If you are with a guild it's a different story as there are territory conquest wars of different tiers where even lower geared players can be useful.

As a solo player, there isn't much that can be done other than level up and try a few classes, enjoy the incredible combat and experience the mob melting, see the world, and then get bored and quit.
With an active group/guild it's a different game. Built around infinite progression, and PvP. But it can't be denied, unless you are really captured by the lore and the vistas, there are no reasons to stick around for soloers.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: January 14, 2020, 09:30:54 AM

New class coming next week, and this is a video of her "awakening" style which is her second set of skills you get at level 56.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGhgCjMMVuw

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: January 14, 2020, 10:23:01 AM

I'd like to see another magic class.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #553 on: January 16, 2020, 12:21:14 PM

Her move set looks a bit sluggish from what I've seen so far on streams on the KR version. But she doesn't have her Awakening skills yet so maybe things will change somewhat with that.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #554 on: January 22, 2020, 05:48:26 PM

Yup she's slow (at least a low level character) but her attacks do have a nice weighty/chunky feel to them.

Patch notes: https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/3538
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: January 23, 2020, 01:50:16 AM

I love her. This combat should be bottled and copy/pasted in at least another million games.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: January 23, 2020, 05:50:37 AM

I love her. This combat should be bottled and copy/pasted in at least another million games.

I can agree with that.

I wish I can get into Black Desert again. But every time I log in, there is so much to do and the scope of what I know I need to do is way too big. Plus I play solo, so the game is ultimately useless for me.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: January 23, 2020, 10:51:30 AM

I never found having too many things to do a problem, it's what makes this game infinitely solo-able, especially with the alts or trying/using different classes.

The combat system in this game is still what I love, and combo'ing in the BDO system to me is way more deep than the PvE available to use it on. Too much to enjoy swapping around and staying undergeared just exploring as a solo person like me, along with the lifeskill, daily assorted sandbox stuff that I like casualing through.

The Guardian is a very nice class, the axe with shield makes her combos really have some impact, along with blocking and decent evade. A mix of Valkyrie and DK, in terms of playstyle to me, with more damage relative to pre-awaken skills than either of those (from what it seems to me). The effects on her attacks glitch out for me sometimes, and it's the one thing I don't happen to like about her. Can't wait to try her awakening when it releases. the videos of it look /drool.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #558 on: February 27, 2020, 05:47:51 PM

I just noticed the base game appears to be free until March 2 on Steam.

I'm not sure what hooks there are on the deal, just letting folks know the deal.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #559 on: February 27, 2020, 07:06:41 PM

It's cause their NA/EU 4th Anniversary is coming up and they are trying to juice their numbers before that starts.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: