Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191812 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: February 22, 2016, 07:34:47 AM

I wish there were buildable houses like in Archeage, even though I am well aware of the problems that would cause, and I wish they found better ways to give small groups a reason to exist, but the world stuff so far is really engaging.

This is actually one of the big things that unsold me on Archeage pretty fast.  It ended up just alienating smaller guilds and solo players due to the land rush.  I vastly prefer the way Black Desert is doing it, especially how they limit economic whales from dominating the whole world due to the node system.   I didn't play it enough to really see how everything works, and that alone worries me a bit, because it took a few hours for Archeage to really burn me out of the game.  This one was different enough to make me want to go back though, so I'll probably be giving them money all the same, even if I shouldn't be angry
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: February 22, 2016, 11:07:50 AM

Just sharing a couple of things I found interesting
-A pretty solid interview from a few days ago with Jouska http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/14858-interview-with-cm_jouska-by-docgotgame-talks-about-p2w-cash-shop-channels-jouskas-job-etc-added-transcribed-notes/
-A few month old guide for money farming with production/crafting https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/3jvfgd/make_millions_with_afk_npc_trading/

Side note - yes Ard, you're fucked with this game. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: February 22, 2016, 11:32:36 AM

Stop enabling me  Mob

thanks for the links
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #248 on: February 23, 2016, 03:17:43 AM

Here is a guide that is being dubbed "The Black Desert Bible" which is a mere 256 pages long....  

ACK!

EDIT:

A nice description of what characterizes Black Desert.

There’s none of the racing around quest hubs, grabbing all of the quests, clearing the map and moving onto the next one; the flow that that typifies MMOs. Instead, Black Desert Online rewards lingering in towns, speaking to lots of NPCs and soaking up as much knowledge about an area as possible.

By not blowing through areas, pulled along by the promise of loot and gear, you can unlock new shops and quests. See, NPCs don’t just spill their guts at the sight of a random wanderer. They’re not all waiting for a stranger to solve their myriad problems. No, they’re waiting for someone they vaguely know, who they can have a nice chat to, that’s who they want to go questing for them.

Being a hero, then, involves more than just accepting quests from dozens of NPCs in the space of a couple of minutes; quest-givers need to be buttered up through a mini-game, which requires getting to know lots of other NPCs in the surrounding area first. It’s possible to unlock new shops as well as quests this way, by being the hero who cares. Want to kill even more monsters? You’ve got to shake some hands and kiss some babies first.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:29:04 AM by Falconeer »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: February 23, 2016, 06:41:34 AM

From the other starter guide the guy linked to in the first page of that one.

HOW TO SET AN AUTO-RUN LOOP

You can use an auto-run loop to make your character run back and forth between two or more points, or in a continuous circle. This can be used to AFK level your stamina, strength, or horse level.

Urge to play waning.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: February 23, 2016, 06:41:56 AM

There is an NPC in the main Calpheon that is an arms dealer. You have to go around town and talk to about a dozen or so NPCs to "unlock them" and then speak to the arms dealer and play a knowledge minigame to increase your Amity and then use that to purchase decent weapons (whole process takes an hour or so the first time to set everything up). You have to keep playing this minigame to keep your Amity level up since it goes down everytime you buy a weapon.

Just one thing hidden in the game among many other systems.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: February 23, 2016, 06:42:37 AM

From the other starter guide the guy linked to in the first page of that one.

HOW TO SET AN AUTO-RUN LOOP

You can use an auto-run loop to make your character run back and forth between two or more points, or in a continuous circle. This can be used to AFK level your stamina, strength, or horse level.

Urge to play waning.

This was disabled in CBT2. Don't know if it'll ever make it's way into the game. In KR it wasn't in the game until later so I'm not sure if we'll be following the same path, or it was disabled on purpose.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #252 on: February 23, 2016, 08:36:38 AM

I can't play this until I replace the gfx card it broke.  :(  Hopefully, I'll have that sorted before the game launches.  Should do.  I'm looking forward to it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: February 23, 2016, 12:20:13 PM

I got a beta key for this from someone on the site and I briefly tried it. It didn't grab me right off of the bat though I suspect if I give it more time some of the sim aspects might appeal in the long run. Something about the controls annoyed me though. I can't really explain it but it seemed a bit "off".

I felt the same way.  There was just something about the controls I didn't like.  Overall, I wasn't very impressed and won't be playing, at least at release, and I don't see the reason for all the hype.  I might pick it up later when it goes on sale.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: February 23, 2016, 12:25:43 PM

There isn't much hype. But the interest comes from the fact that it is different.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: February 23, 2016, 12:32:40 PM

I just enjoy the game because the combat is the best I've ever played in an MMO. Especially after a decade+ of tab target. There are more game systems to play through and have fun with compared to an empty game that was TERA.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:37 PM

I think part of me just doesn't want to get involved with an MMO again after quitting FFXIV only a few months ago, so I may not actually play this afterall. The more I look at how much grind there is overall, I don't feel particularly thrilled about doing any of it. The trading, farming, workers and what not was fun over the beta weekend, but I sort of feel it's already lost its charm on me. I dunno, part of me wants to and doesn't want to.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: February 23, 2016, 06:31:22 PM

Personally, the combat is fun enough that makes grinding enjoyable. It's not complicated enough that I have to stress paying attention 100%, but it's also active enough that it's not a groan fest like most MMOs. I think playing a ton of D3 over the last two seasons got me back in the grove of grinding.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: February 23, 2016, 09:55:09 PM

Whelp, fuck that last post. Bought the 30 dollar version, so much for my unsureness. I'm going to just take it easy going through this game, was seriously debating on blitzing to 50, and that got me reading into a bunch of things about the game that I shouldn't have and it started to mess with my thinking.

And yeah, grinding can be fun and quite cathartic. Especially as the giant in this game, so that's a plus.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: February 24, 2016, 01:09:58 AM

Decent video answering the questions about the supposed hype and hate surrounding Black Desert.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: February 24, 2016, 10:49:29 AM

Personally, the combat is fun enough that makes grinding enjoyable. It's not complicated enough that I have to stress paying attention 100%, but it's also active enough that it's not a groan fest like most MMOs. I think playing a ton of D3 over the last two seasons got me back in the grove of grinding.

Maybe it was the class I played (ranger) but I really didn't care for the combat at all.  It just felt like a hot mess.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: February 24, 2016, 11:03:54 AM

I played a ranger in beta and it's really complicated. Not sure if all classes are the same. Lots of attacks which can be combo-d with other attacks. You need to do the right key-presses to make attacks fire off and then remember how one attack can be chained with another.  It's possible to hot-key some - not all - attacks but to chain attacks together you often need to use the key-press method.

For example, if you choose the right skills then an attack which involves dodging sideways can be quickly followed by an attack which stuns your opponent if you press (from memory) something like backwards (S), Q and right mouse button together at the right moment
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: February 24, 2016, 03:42:03 PM

Decent video answering the questions about the supposed hype and hate surrounding Black Desert.

That video really piqued my interest in the game.  It sounds really intriguing (I've only been half following this thread)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: February 24, 2016, 03:55:26 PM

Maybe it was the class I played (ranger) but I really didn't care for the combat at all.  It just felt like a hot mess.

I didn't like the ranger either. I've heard they don't shine until 40 something.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: February 25, 2016, 12:10:40 AM

Combat starts to become interesting when mobs stop dying just because you looked at them. For the first 15 levels if not more, all you have to do is spam your basic left mouse attack and everything melts. You don't even need to spend points on skills. Later, things slowly start to change. But it's important to bear in mind that all the combos and combat intricacies are meant for the fights against other humans, as the PvE AI is very dumb at all levels.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: February 25, 2016, 06:04:54 AM

Combat starts to become interesting when mobs stop dying just because you looked at them. For the first 15 levels if not more, all you have to do is spam your basic left mouse attack and everything melts. You don't even need to spend points on skills. Later, things slowly start to change. But it's important to bear in mind that all the combos and combat intricacies are meant for the fights against other humans, as the PvE AI is very dumb at all levels.

This is true. I'll be using the full combat system from the start though, as best I can, as I don't want to suddenly have to learn it from scratch when I start PvPing.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: February 25, 2016, 10:34:45 AM

First 15 levels in like an hour or so of play time. You should start learning how your abilities flow together as early as possible.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: February 25, 2016, 11:44:37 AM

Having not followed this at all until now, I have to admit this feels like it might be worth playing at least a little while just for the novelty value. Maybe it'll even catch on.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: February 26, 2016, 04:47:45 PM

I played in the CB2 (random invite) and played a Sorceress and Tamer up to 20 and dabbled with the Valk and Wizard.  I enjoyed the combat and the depth of the game is staggering.  I pre-ordered it yesterday at the $30 price point and feel like I'll get my money's worth just leveling a toon or two to 50(ish) and dabbling in all the various side systems.  If I end up liking the late game GvG and continue playing after that all the better!

most often known as Drevik
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: February 27, 2016, 09:40:55 AM

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #270 on: February 27, 2016, 04:04:45 PM

Without watching the video, Blade and Soul shoots itself in the foot in this regard, imo -- they seem to have tried to create a pretty interesting system of customizable skills combining into chains, only to add animation canceling on top of it, which just happens to throw that whole intricate setup out of the window, as your best dps comes from just hitting the same two keys over and over and over.

Though going by posts upthread it doesn't sound like BDO gets any more taxing, PVE-wise at least why so serious?
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: February 27, 2016, 08:42:30 PM

Im thinking the combat is ok both ways. Its the cock block. There was a cock block at 5-6 but its do-able. The 20ish is just a pain. As Ive said Ill buy into BD when it goes live (just a few days). But B&S, well I hevent logged in for weeks so there you are.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: February 28, 2016, 02:56:48 AM

Aaaaand we are live!  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: February 28, 2016, 04:57:21 PM

The only wayou can sign up is go buy a paysafe card? Really? Well how about fuck a whole bunch of that.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: February 28, 2016, 05:47:46 PM

The only wayou can sign up is go buy a paysafe card? Really? Well how about fuck a whole bunch of that.
I used paypal, not sure what issue you are running into.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:02 AM

I used a credit card...

most often known as Drevik
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: February 29, 2016, 11:42:44 AM

Ok, I was wrong.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: February 29, 2016, 03:15:38 PM

Anyone know how the server populations are looking? Wanted to go onto Edan but if it's as crowded as I think it is along with Orwen, Uno might be my choice.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: February 29, 2016, 03:46:31 PM

As far as I can tell, no info is remotely valid as of today since only the 100€/$ people are in. As many as they can be, they are not representative in the slightest of the 400.000 preorders this game sold.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: March 02, 2016, 07:11:23 AM

As far as I can tell, no info is remotely valid as of today since only the 100€/$ people are in. As many as they can be, they are not representative in the slightest of the 400.000 preorders this game sold.

Actually:

The head starts below are only for Pre-Order holders:
Head start for Conqueror’s package holders starts the 28th of February, 08:00 UTC.
Head start for Explorer’s package holders starts the 1st of March, 08:00 UTC.
Head start for Traveler’s package holders start the 2nd of March, 08:00 UTC.
The official launch date is March 3rd. (maintenance scheduled at 08:00 UTC / approx. 4 hours)

It was a rolling headstart depending on how much cash you dropped on the game. Cash shop opens tomorrow with official launch.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: