Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191802 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: February 11, 2016, 07:04:27 AM

Ok, so the grind is covered. And the PvP? Is it a Shadowbane/UO style gankfest?

This game penalizes random banking. Pvp is shaping, node wars, guild wars and sieges.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #211 on: February 11, 2016, 07:26:32 AM

Did you mean ganking?  Or is random banking an actual thing? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: February 11, 2016, 08:27:23 AM

It's when you're minding your own business and the person next to you shouts "VENDOR BUY THE GUARDS A BANK!" for no apparent reason
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #213 on: February 11, 2016, 10:40:02 AM

Just because that other player in a deathrobe is walking towards you doesn't mean he's a thie... oh wait, he is. GUARDDDDSSS!

Britain bank (#1) offered the ultimate banking experience, complete with nervous, paranoid people who think everyone else there is only after their stufftm (and they were). Will we ever see its like again?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: February 11, 2016, 04:41:21 PM

Did you mean ganking?  Or is random banking an actual thing? 

Yay phone. Ganking.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: February 13, 2016, 12:11:57 PM

Daum are running a contest for the most lovely characters, so if you want a good look at what the character creator is capable of then you can browse the entries, here:

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/events/ccm/ShowEvent.html

Here's a selection:

I'm the girl next door

I'm a dakimakura

I'm Hermoine

I'm Falconeer

I'm a hottie

"People think it's weird that I always play male characters but who wants to look at a girl's ass when they're playing video games?"

I'm troubled but you can reach me
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #216 on: February 14, 2016, 09:17:11 AM

That's inaccurate. I always have pupils.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #217 on: February 15, 2016, 07:27:23 PM

Is the lazy eye on half of the characters some sort of a meme, or just software quirk?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: February 16, 2016, 01:57:34 AM

Mmm not sure I even see it other than in a couple of those shots. Anyway I think you can independently change each eye shape and direction separately, so maybe that's what they were going for.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 16, 2016, 06:44:51 AM

I'd be willing to bet it is just the angle the heads are turned. The eyes are probably programmed to "look" at the camera and if the camera is at an odd distance and the head turns just right then one eye has to move a little more than the other to look at the camera. I do 3d renders (around 100+ a month since I use them to make comics) and I've had this happen from time to time when, for example, I set the eyes to look at another character's face and they're not in the "sweet" spot as far as the distance between the two characters. In the real world eyes work together and so you don't see this without nerve damage (aka a lazy eye) but in the world of computers eyes often just "appear" to work together.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: February 16, 2016, 04:44:36 PM

The default option is for the eyes and head to follow the mouse. You can turn it off if ya want.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: February 18, 2016, 04:47:57 AM

First impressions, beginning at 3am local time my time. Some issues with load and the initial first hour log jam which resulted in a couple of awesome images.

First, the anti-cheat engine decided it wasn't AS ready for the beta to begin, even though the game was..  So, I spent the first 20 mins or so watching XIGNCODE fail repeatedly.

Then something with that loading changed, and the XIGNCODE3 pic became an image of Black Desert instead of the above screencaps, and then it miraculously let me into the "game".

I was presented with a Start/Quit/Settings screen, but when I selected "Start" it spewed a cryptic message saying "Failed to connect" with the only option on it to hit "OK (Enter)".

Of course Clicking OK/Enter caused the whole game to close, and started me over again watching it burp at the XIGNCODE3 or exit at the Start screen multiple times in succession. I basically spent the first hour and ten minutes going in and out from the Start screen, or watching the launcher open over and over.

Then finally I made it into character select. I'd already messed with the creator download, which I could've sworn I'd saved some characters for, but since I couldn't seem to see any saves to use (maybe deleted when I removed char creator) I created a character to finally get in and look around.

The loading screen was very low resolution and almost made me wonder if they shouldn't have made a small tiny map with a high res picture in the background (like the main Start screen)

Then I was finally inside the game. The menus were what I consider very clunky, there are almost too many notifications, and although it did look pretty I can't really say that the beginning quests had any appeal for me ESPECIALLY because everyone gets the same exact quests... So, for an alt-aholic who plays bunches of characters through the starting levels, it saddened me. Why can't each class have quests, why funnel everyone into the exact same content? It also was very distressing I couldn't jump through the quest giver cut scenes.

The first couple of intro quests were the normal fare use controls, talk to people, then go over to combat training.

So wander over to the combat trainer guy, and.... OMG this was where the hell was..

5 target dummy scarecrows were in front of the skill trainer, and no less than 100 characters all around this area all trying to use combat skills.

After that it moved further down outside the town, and to another bunch of quests, which of course was kill # mob, collect mob asses, kill # mobs.. over and over. In the area where I was shown to hunt I counted maybe 6-8 spawn points around which now that horde of people from the first trainer was now crowding kill-stealing one another.

Definitely needs more mobs and larger newbie areas, especially if everyone is going to be thrown into the exact same sequence of newbie quests. At least the newb/intro quests don't actually require standing at some NPC (like the first combat trainer guy) and instead use a quest spirit who speaks to you in korean that allows turn-ins or new quests just by pressing the ","-comma key.

I completed maybe the first 5 quests that way, kill-stealing or being kill stolen for at least a half hour, before finally giving up in frustration.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 18, 2016, 05:02:13 AM

There are only two servers and only 8 channels people can spread over. That is always a problem at launch but channel switching should help sort it. Did you try changing channel?

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 18, 2016, 05:23:25 AM

Have no idea how to select channels, or that I even could. Where do you select that..

I'll have to try that next time assuming I actually get in. Right now I was going to try the game again and it got into the "Start" screen and when I clicked start it said "Authentication Failed", so who even knows.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: February 18, 2016, 06:42:31 AM

Supposedly press ESC and select "Channel shift", but I am not in the game now so I can't check that for you.

Anyway, one interesting and weird thing about this game: to talk in public/global chat costs 1 energy, which is what you accumulate over time and use to do everything that isn't combat related. This is not simply to punish spammers (gold selling is basically already impossible), but to reduce trolling and overall immersion breaking, encouraging people to talk in local chats (which are free). Not sure if that will work out at all, but I am curious to see it.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 18, 2016, 10:02:26 AM

Supposedly press ESC and select "Channel shift", but I am not in the game now so I can't check that for you.

Anyway, one interesting and weird thing about this game: to talk in public/global chat costs 1 energy, which is what you accumulate over time and use to do everything that isn't combat related. This is not simply to punish spammers (gold selling is basically already impossible), but to reduce trolling and overall immersion breaking, encouraging people to talk in local chats (which are free). Not sure if that will work out at all, but I am curious to see it.

It's not going to work.  Spammers will just use 15 bajillion stolen accounts and credit cards and just rotate through them to spam as they use up their energy.  Trolls just won't care.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 18, 2016, 02:16:41 PM

You can't trade player to player in this game so gold selling won't be a big thing.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 18, 2016, 04:02:14 PM

I am not particularly happy at the fact that there are only 3 full costumes/outfits in the real money store, but 9 lingerie combos.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #228 on: February 19, 2016, 08:37:57 AM

The cash shop in this game is hilariously expensive.  It is also hilarious that it won't go 5 minutes without crashing.  All I've done so far is laugh at the bits and pieces of my assploding computer.  :)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: February 20, 2016, 03:36:10 AM

This game is fun. I'm questioning whether I would even end up getting to level 50 because of all the non-combative parts of the game that I am consistently distracted doing. I feel like I'm getting sucked into some sort of weird management simulator with axe-bashing on the side.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: February 20, 2016, 08:28:35 AM

And the world is nice. Reading all the bits about the people you meet is my favourite thing, it works in a way that I find compelling as opposed to all the other lore elements cramped into quests from other MMORPGs.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: February 20, 2016, 12:07:24 PM

I thought this came out in march?

I am the .00000001428%
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: February 20, 2016, 12:20:46 PM

Closed Beta Test 2 weekend.. I also scored an extra key for this weekend if anyone wanted to try this. Only received this key today, and already had one applied, so if someone wanted to download this for maybe a day and a half of trying it send me a private message.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: February 21, 2016, 09:48:38 AM

I've been hearing good things about this, but I'm basically at the point where I just assume by default that new MMOs are going to suck.  Am I wrong to assume that here?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: February 21, 2016, 09:52:48 AM

The thing with MMOs is that they used to have one and just one thing over other games: longevity. An addiction factor (Remember, "evercrack"?) that simply isn't there anymore because society and social interactions changed.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: February 21, 2016, 10:04:16 AM

Well, sort of. I mean, I played Counter Strike as much as I've played any MMO. MMOs were always interesting to me because there was some stake in things beyond just what I was immediately doing, but they have moved in the direction of making the game about whatever you are immediately doing. I totally get why they've done that, but it removes the interesting bit from the genre.

Edit: What I miss is something to care about even when I'm not playing. The mark of a good MMO to me is, I'll be working and wonder "Gee, I wonder what's going on with X in the game right now." A game that can get me that way is an MMO I'd be willing to at least give a shot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:41:32 AM by Malakili »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: February 21, 2016, 11:06:00 AM

They definitely also had another important element: huge explorable open worlds that gave you a sense of wonder, which if you think about it is another trait where MMOs have lost their edge over single player games.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: February 21, 2016, 11:37:33 AM

They definitely also had another important element: huge explorable open worlds that gave you a sense of wonder, which if you think about it is another trait where MMOs have lost their edge over single player games.

This is true, but with the exception of procedural worlds, this is essentially gone from gaming anyway. Most games will tell you exactly where to go, and if they don't they don't then if you want to not be on terribly unequal footing with everyone else you are probably going to want to rely on 3rd party sites and resources so you don't "waste time" looking for things.  I know no one makes you use those resources, but especially in the kind of game I'm going to care about at this point (pvp oriented MMOs), putting yourself at a huge disadvantage for the sake of preserving the exploration usually isn't a great choice.

It's also a pretty limited element anyway. At some point you're going to run out of things to explore.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:39:30 AM by Malakili »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: February 21, 2016, 11:04:07 PM

Oh fuck me.  I should not have tried this beta.   ACK!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: February 21, 2016, 11:27:55 PM

What, why?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: February 21, 2016, 11:53:51 PM

Because so far it feels like what I wanted GW2 and Archeage to be, and I have a month and a half old kid.  I should not buy this.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: February 22, 2016, 12:19:20 AM

I feel you. And I am not even ashamed to admit that it wins me over with silly things like being only able to dry your fish on sunny days (so not at night), or thin some feathers on windy ones.

I wish there were buildable houses like in Archeage, even though I am well aware of the problems that would cause, and I wish they found better ways to give small groups a reason to exist, but the world stuff so far is really engaging. I am liking a lot the "knowledge" system, and I found myself doing quests and conversations just for the sake of knowing more about some characters and unlocking more quests and privileges along the way.

In a way, while combat as we said is extremely satisfying, I would say it is the part I care the least for so far.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:51 AM

How's the crafting?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: February 22, 2016, 06:13:19 AM

Hard nut to crack. There are some things that you do yourself, and a lot of other things that you need to have workers hired to do it for you, and you need houses purchased that you can arrange as workshops. A lot of managing and micromanaging of resources, materials, nodes, personnel, and all of this is tightly connected to the actual "world-space" since there is no fast travel, since the goods literally have to be in the place where you want them to be crafted from and a lot of other things like this. And this is on top of stuff like the afore-mentioned crafting actions that can only be performed on certain days. I know I am not saying much but the bottom line is that it is a lot of stuff and a combination of "oh yeah, like in that other game" and "wait what?! Say that again but twice as slow". To me even the confusion is refreshing, as if I had to play the SAME crafting game once again I would have puked.

The best I can say is that there is no way you would be able to start crafting without reading a guide of some sort. Like this ones: Part 1 and Part 2.

If your question is instead how viable is crafting, and what does it do for you at max level, I can't answer. I can tell you that there are game-wide leaderboards for all the nine crafting specializations, and I have heard that most of the best gear comes from crafting, but NOT the Top gear which is a result of the usual enchanting/RNG bullshit we all hate.

In short, the whole game seems to be more about "crafting" than anything else to be honest. It's a sandbox full of activities and even minigames. But as usual with that kind of stuff, "satisfaction" becomes a personal thing. From what I can tell, you cannot craft the ultimate set of weapon and armour, but you can and should craft pretty much everything else along the way. And that's more than 50% of the whole Black Desert experience.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: February 22, 2016, 07:03:00 AM

I got a beta key for this from someone on the site and I briefly tried it. It didn't grab me right off of the bat though I suspect if I give it more time some of the sim aspects might appeal in the long run. Something about the controls annoyed me though. I can't really explain it but it seemed a bit "off".

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: