Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191827 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 04:31:51 PM

Necroing this thread, because I haven't looked at it in a while. This is an old announcement, but:

http://black-desert.com/news/western-publisher-and-cb3-announced/

They're self-publishing in the US. They just wrapped up their final Korean closed beta, and open beta starts in Winter.

Also, I guess at some point in time since people last talked about it in this thread, they did a combat overhaul. It's almost character-action game fast now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvgCGjRyLvE
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:03:27 PM by Nonentity »

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:59 PM

The teleporting kung fu mage looked fun as hell.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 05:19:55 PM

FLASHY BING BANG BOOM!!!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 06:19:15 PM

Game looks really really good.

Here's a more accurate video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsyZ29egA64
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 01, 2014, 06:35:13 PM

Between this and Archeage, I personally welcome our new Korean MMO overlords. Sort of cool that they've taken up the sandbox mantle.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #75 on: October 02, 2014, 08:38:40 AM

Here's a more accurate video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsyZ29egA64

Half-hour of character creation?

I might try this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 02, 2014, 04:58:38 PM

So basically it will be translated in four years and westernized to a point where anything that made it fun is stripped out of it and it will just be a limp shell of what they get to play in Korea?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 04:22:21 AM

Hah, don't be silly.

Like there's going to be any fun to suck out in the first place. why so serious?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #78 on: October 03, 2014, 04:40:59 AM

Yeah, going by history, any changes to it can only improve the fun over what ever they are doing in Korea.

Game looks pretty cool, hope it doesn't take them to long to get it to the west.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 06:30:04 AM

So basically it will be translated in four years and westernized to a point where anything that made it fun is stripped out of it and it will just be a limp shell of what they get to play in Korea?

According to the developers, they've been preparing a western version along with the Korean release. When they get up to speed in the NA, they won't be that far behind according to them.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 06:31:05 AM

Yeah, going by history, any changes to it can only improve the fun over what ever they are doing in Korea.

Game looks pretty cool, hope it doesn't take them to long to get it to the west.

This is kind of old thinking. A lot of the Korean games these days don't have too many big differences over what western audiences want. The only legacy of the "lol korean game" is the RNG of crafting and upgrading stuff which is awful still.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 09:23:41 PM

Between this and Archeage, I personally welcome our new Korean MMO overlords. Sort of cool that they've taken up the sandbox mantle.

South Korea is one of the few markets where there still is a player base for new MMOs.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #82 on: October 04, 2014, 09:26:21 AM

Someone sounds bitter they're no longer part of the target demographic.  I think someone's on yer lawn, better go get em.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 04, 2014, 09:35:09 AM

South Korea is one of the few markets where there still is a player base for new MMOs.

What a dumb thing to say.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 04, 2014, 09:44:26 AM

True, he forgot Brazil.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: October 04, 2014, 09:58:35 AM

Brazil uses Orkut. I barely qualify that populace as human.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 04, 2014, 05:47:00 PM

This is kind of old thinking. A lot of the Korean games these days don't have too many big differences over what western audiences want. The only legacy of the "lol korean game" is the RNG of crafting and upgrading stuff which is awful still.

And a strong world PvP, "steal their stuff, burn their house", tendency.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 05:07:19 AM

What a dumb thing to say.

I admit I've stopped paying attention, but which Western companies have announced new MMOs recently? And I mean 'MMO', not MOBA or multiplayer Diablo.

South Korean devs are still launching new MMOs and then converting them for Western markets. They have a player base that supports that. Western devs have moved on, except in the cases of already announced projects like EQ3.

Wildstar and TESO have performed as expected. It's just not worth the investment any more to start a new MMO in EU / NA.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:27 AM

Well do you could shit like Elite and Star Citizen? I don't even know if they are MMOs. Then there is the Garriot thing, and god knows what that is. There are a lot of smaller games too like Albion and Camelot Unchained who are all kickstarter funded.

I can't think of any other MMOs in the pipeline outside EQ3 that are being made by bigger studios though since Wildstar and TESO launched though. You're also dead wrong about the investment nature of new MMOs. SWTOR is turning a pretty awesome profit. TESO was just poorly run and so was Wildstar. You can't mark the genre by two shitty games.

I just don't think we'll see many, if at all, traditional DIKU/Raiding games released by NA/EU devs with any real money attached to them in the near future.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:33:32 AM by Draegan »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 05, 2014, 07:39:16 AM

A lot of information was released (or at least videos) from Black Desert as it's going into open beta. They also announced it's going to be in the NA/EU market in 2015. We'll see.

This game looks like Archeage on steroids.
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:15 AM

Can someone confirm that it's not another epic looking exploit clusterfuck with calculation done on client side?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 05, 2014, 10:24:55 AM

No way to really tell until it leaves Korea I have to imagine.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #92 on: December 05, 2014, 11:05:45 AM

Surely someone here can understand korean?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 05, 2014, 11:42:03 AM

Surely someone here can understand korean?

Well access to this game is tied to a Korean SSN/ID and the majority of the time that means less hacking/exploiting. At least, that's what I've heard. Once it hits Russia we'll see.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #94 on: December 06, 2014, 04:45:36 AM

Can someone confirm that it's not another epic looking exploit clusterfuck with calculation done on client side?
Why wouldn't it be?
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 07, 2014, 05:29:54 AM

Will play and hate myself even though it's definitely going to be a hell grind crash grab chock full of client side exploits
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 07, 2014, 06:01:29 AM

It will be interesting to compare it to Archeage since they decided to go with a Korean publisher for the english version too instead of getting some western company like Trion to do it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #97 on: December 24, 2014, 02:54:43 AM

Well...

I got in the South Korean beta and I made my first character. It's too soon to tell if the game is any good, or how good it is, but ot is undeniably shocking to enter a MMORPG with such absurd graphics. The closest thing would be Vindictus, which had an incredible character creation tool, but was limited to 4 people instanced content.
Similar to Vindictus is also the fact that your class defines your gender and race, so archers are all elf women, warriors are human men, and so on. And again, similar to Vindictus, the combat is wild, fast, fulfilling, ridiculously fun. So far there are four classes but apparently more will be added before launch. As I said, I just got in so I can't really comment on any other aspect of the game, especially one so focused on many different sandbox elements, but so far the visuals and the responsiveness of the action targetless combat, as in TERA but better, seem to be what lots of people have been dreaming of for quite some time.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:04:56 AM by Falconeer »

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 24, 2014, 03:22:57 AM

Yeah, that model is pretty outstanding. I wonder what the budget for this thing is.

How does it hold up when animated? In most games all the hair, layered clothing, and frilly bits would be a clipping nightmare.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 24, 2014, 06:56:24 AM

Well...
I got in the South Korean beta and I made my first character. It's too soon to tell if the game is any good, or how good it is, but ot is undeniably shocking to enter a MMORPG with such absurd graphics. The closest thing would be Vindictus, which had an incredible character creation tool, but was limited to 4 people instanced content.
Similar to Vindictus is also the fact that your class defines your gender and race, so archers are all elf women, warriors are human men, and so on. And again, similar to Vindictus, the combat is wild, fast, fulfilling, ridiculously fun. So far there are four classes but apparently more will be added before launch. As I said, I just got in so I can't really comment on any other aspect of the game, especially one so focused on many different sandbox elements, but so far the visuals and the responsiveness of the action targetless combat, as in TERA but better, seem to be what lots of people have been dreaming of for quite some time.

Please keep us (or atleast me) appraised on how the game feels since I'm actually kind of excited (though that is too strong a word) about how it turns out. It offers (on paper) alot of what I'd be looking for in a mmo compared to other upcoming titles in the foreseeable future.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #100 on: December 24, 2014, 09:10:28 AM

Similar to Vindictus is also the fact that your class defines your gender and race, so archers are all elf women, warriors are human men, and so on.

It's almost 2015 and still with this shit?  Especially after that insanely awesome character generator. 
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: December 24, 2014, 09:47:16 AM

Yes, really, that's crap I agree. I wonder if it's something that somehow helps the server load considering the ridiculous amount of details for a MMORPG, or it's just some idiotic Korean gaming tradition. Anyway, looks like before launch they will add 4 more characters: Valkyrie (female warrior with heal), Blader (male route that can transform blade between 2h and dual wield), Tamer (female ranged pet class), and Wizard (male aoe nuker: Gandalf class) to bring the total to 8.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: December 24, 2014, 10:09:17 AM

I spent 10 bucks and go access to this to play around with it. I had 30 noobs with me fighting on screen with zero lag.

Animations are great. Game feels great. Graphics look great. The UI is awesome. There appears to be interesting skill/class mechanics, crafting and other systems.

Is there a game in there? I have no idea. Only play for 20 minutes or so.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: December 24, 2014, 10:54:14 AM

Yes, really, that's crap I agree. I wonder if it's something that somehow helps the server load considering the ridiculous amount of details for a MMORPG, or it's just some idiotic Korean gaming tradition. Anyway, looks like before launch they will add 4 more characters: Valkyrie (female warrior with heal), Blader (male route that can transform blade between 2h and dual wield), Tamer (female ranged pet class), and Wizard (male aoe nuker: Gandalf class) to bring the total to 8.

I think its a ridiculous korean thing, like in vindictus you are actually playing a named character not a random warrior or whatever.  Also pretty much a deal breaker for me.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: December 24, 2014, 11:16:02 AM

I am trying the monk now. This is insane, it's like an old arcade beat 'em up. I can't wait to find the CATCH cause so far the combat is ridiculous(ly good) and there has to be a huge hidden mess here somewhere as I have a hard time believing this can work in a PvP environment... hell it doesn't even have the little slow downs of Vindictus or TERA. How in hell can this work? THE MONK IS MINDBLOWING. Low kick, high kick, projection punch, it's like a Jackie Chan movie.

EDIT: Bonus screenshot of another character.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:22:32 AM by Falconeer »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: