Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  (Read 191809 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: April 12, 2013, 03:17:28 AM

Title: Black Desert
Developer: Pearl Abyss (South Korea)
Estimated Release Date: Late 2013 in South Korea

---

This is far from finished and has no publisher in the West yet, so it could be early to post anything, but I think the trailer and the few videos out are already more than enough to deserve the interest and the buzz. This coming from the guy who made Continent of the Ninth (C9) for Webzen.

>> Take a look at this and pretend to be unimpressed if you can <<

So, in short, this is going to be a big huge sandbox, seamless world with castle sieges and territorial control, no faction PvP even though the lore hints at two big warring nations, housing (check video) and farming stuff, horse riding and mounted combat as an integral part of the game (apparently inspired by Red Dead Redemption). The engine has been developed in house according to the developer specifically to be able to handle the massive pvp battles, and the combat is action focused with dodge and block. There's also supposed to be a parkour system, and a dynamic weather system that "should" affect some parts of the game (crops? battles?) and that will include occasional mean stuff like hurricanes.

Also worth noting that, so far, the game does NOT seem to include any pedo-shit or kawaii-race, and it seems to recreate some Italian Middle Ages towns like I've never seen it before, and all characters seem to be geared towards photorealism more than any kind of fantasy.

I mean,

Here's an interview.
Here's another.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:19:43 AM by Falconeer »

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:57:44 AM

I'm concerned with the female armor, it's seems very unrealistic.  I mean, I saw a flute player completely covered in chainmail.  How are girls supposed to be awesome with their belly buttons concealed?

(paging Lantyssa's wrath, paging Lantyssa's warth, isle six, stat!)
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:29:15 AM

all characters seem to be geared towards photorealism more than any kind of fantasy.

I mean,

Photorealdollism, maybe.

I'd still take WoW graphics over this any day. It's going to look absolutely terrible once animated.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:35:52 AM

Quite an interesting mix of eastern and western art styles in that, that work out rather well. IMO.

The Shadows and lack of AA kill me in that video though, made my eyes hurt.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:07:30 AM

Photorealdollism, maybe.

I'd still take WoW graphics over this any day. It's going to look absolutely terrible once animated.

Dunno Id bang the brunette!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:13:33 AM

all characters seem to be geared towards photorealism more than any kind of fantasy.

I mean,

Photorealdollism, maybe.

Yeah you are right, Photorealcartoonism is clearly better than Photorealdollism. But I gotta be honest with you, if it were Photorealstickism vs Photorealcartoonism I'd take xkcd over WoW any day of the week. It just looks so much better when animated.

awesome, for real

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:22:10 AM

The art style in some places really reminds me of the style in Dragon's Dogma, which was one of the best things about that game.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:23:26 AM

I mean,

Photorealdollism, maybe.

Yeah you are right, Photorealcartoonism is clearly better than Photorealdollism. But I gotta be honest with you, if it were Photorealstickism vs Photorealcartoonism I'd take xkcd over WoW any day of the week. It just looks so much better when animated.

awesome, for real

Do you not have realdolls over there? If not, you should google it.

Preferably with safesearch off.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

At any rate, once these characters start moving and emoting, they're going to straight to the uncanny valley. The lack of realtime subsurface scattering makes attempts at realistic flesh/skin look plasticy, and all worthwhile facial animation requires large amounts of offline tweaking to look right.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 10:09:31 AM

I wish a game of this type worried a lot less about graphics,  if you have massive sieges you are not going to play with those kinds of graphics.

I am the .00000001428%
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:50:47 AM

Do you not have realdolls over there? If not, you should google it.

I did. it seems you can get your RealDoll fitted with elf ears for just $150 extra.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:09 AM

I love the character/armor design. Finally a Korean MMO that isn't too embarrassing to play? There are a few dumb looking armor stockings but it's miles better than their competitors at home, at least.

The faces are a little bit super airbrushed model time, but baby steps.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:09:10 AM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 12:06:43 PM

Looks pretty awesome. Unfortunately it's another interesting looking Korean game with zero western support so far. Sad.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 12:41:35 PM

What is it about spell effects and mmo's, the big battles looked like fucking raves.  Can we just stop it with the neon flashing shit on everything please?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 12:48:53 PM

The problem I have with korean games is that as pretty as they are, I usually hate the fuck out of the mechanics.

That said, I do like the armor style, even if everyone in the game is apparently a fashion model in their spare time.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 02:13:22 PM

*deleted* ( i should have read OP post before posting redundant stuff)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 02:25:52 PM

Animation looks a bit eerie but otherwise it looks really pretty.

But knowing it's a Korean game, I expect all the good stuff like sieges to be locked behind a wall of nut grinding.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 02:27:25 PM

Is this really going to be much different from Age of Wushu?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 02:34:16 PM

Well it certainly looks better and it apparently has nothing to do with ancient china.  I fail to see in what way it is anything like Age of Wushu actually, unless you expect it to also be horribly translated.

I am the .00000001428%
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 02:53:33 PM

Well it certainly looks better and it apparently has nothing to do with ancient china.  I fail to see in what way it is anything like Age of Wushu actually, unless you expect it to also be horribly translated.

Grindy looking open world MMORPG with player faction PvP, territory control, etc?
WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 03:10:07 PM

Is this really going to be much different from Age of Wushu?

Maybe I will be able to actually PLAY this one after I download it?  Ohhhhh, I see.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 03:30:47 PM

Well it certainly looks better and it apparently has nothing to do with ancient china.  I fail to see in what way it is anything like Age of Wushu actually, unless you expect it to also be horribly translated.

Grindy

There is zero grind in Age of Wushu.

I am the .00000001428%
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:43 PM

Korean MMO = grindy is no longer the case. They've yet to make a game where the story/questing wasn't a joke that I know of but the raw # of mob kills and time investments are not huge hurdles that like they once were. The Koreans still do love their gear enhancement "grinds" but money sinks are a necessary evil and that's more min/max endgame stuff which I'd say is a bit different.

Reality is at this point they are making better MMOs than the west right now. They have more style, more flair, they take bigger game system risks and its not like LineageII days when along with that you had to put up with kill 80,000 mobs with no quest rewards to level.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 06:09:31 PM

I love the character/armor design. Finally a Korean MMO that isn't too embarrassing to play? There are a few dumb looking armor stockings but it's miles better than their competitors at home, at least.

Some of the ladies are fighting in heels too, but yeah, baby steps. The characters and environments are still ten times more attractive than anything found in TERA.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 09:48:15 PM

Reality is at this point they are making better MMOs than the west right now.

That's hardly much of an achievement.  why so serious?

Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 01:56:32 AM

Some of the ladies are fighting in heels too, but yeah, baby steps. The characters and environments are still ten times more attractive than anything found in TERA.

They are +5 to agility, -50%  fumble chance  magical heels
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 01:34:12 PM

I missed that, possibly because I was giving the animations the stank eye at the time.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 04:13:16 PM

Korean MMO = grindy is no longer the case. They've yet to make a game where the story/questing wasn't a joke that I know of but the raw # of mob kills and time investments are not huge hurdles that like they once were. The Koreans still do love their gear enhancement "grinds" but money sinks are a necessary evil and that's more min/max endgame stuff which I'd say is a bit different.

Reality is at this point they are making better MMOs than the west right now. They have more style, more flair, they take bigger game system risks and its not like LineageII days when along with that you had to put up with kill 80,000 mobs with no quest rewards to level.

Have they stopped the gambling system grindfests finally? Those were kind of offensive offshoots of the grinding of mobs. Now you just have to grind mats because getting +1 to your gear has a chance of wiping it's stats out!

DIKU is getting kind of old in western MMOs, but I cannot for the life of me play most Korean MMOs without feeling like they aren't even trying to disguise the dick punching.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 07:29:19 PM

In TERA at least you don't risk losing your progress on incremental enchants anymore.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:41 PM

In TERA at least you don't risk losing your progress on incremental enchants anymore.

Yeah, that was one of the things they westernized when porting it over. The actual korean system for it was pretty crazy.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 01:55:34 AM

From a new interview, about housing:

We will provide 1,000 ~ 2,000 houses to users in one server as a result only 20~30% of total users can own their house through auction system. Users without houses have to set up temporary tents in a permitted zone of field. The ownership of houses will be valid for 3 months and when it expires users can participate in the house auction bid again.

awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:53 AM

What, really, tent cities? Stay classy, Korea.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 03:00:02 AM

Tents for housing is lol, but those are probably out of reach for Free loading players - that said, looks interesting. Gorgeous, without blatant T&A spam we used to experience in Lineage 2.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:56 AM

At any rate, once these characters start moving and emoting, they're going to straight to the uncanny valley. The lack of realtime subsurface scattering makes attempts at realistic flesh/skin look plasticy, and all worthwhile facial animation requires large amounts of offline tweaking to look right.
You can see them animated in that preview video linked in the OP. It doesn't look bad, i'd say they avoid the uncanny valley precisely because they're more simplified there than in the high-res bullshots.

In any case I saw that video a while ago, not knowing where it's from I thought it's for some new single player RPG. Learning it's going to be attached to the usual MMO grindfest was a crushing disappointment.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 06:03:40 AM

I lived out of a blue tent in Ultima Online and it never did me any harm. You young people etc
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 06:19:35 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Black Desert - Korea getting serious about sandboxes  
Jump to: