Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 07:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Elysium 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elysium  (Read 18357 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: April 09, 2013, 06:47:26 PM

Finally have a trailer out for this.

An action/drama meditation on class warfare from the writer/director of District 9.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:59:39 PM

Huh, that looks good.

But what is the same of that sound I see in every trailer ever nowdays, the "thrum.... thrum... thrum..."? Someone here mentioned the term once but I can't find it (in part because "that sound used in trailers" and "thrum..." didn't return any search results  Ohhhhh, I see.)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:07:46 PM

Huh, that looks good.

But what is the same of that sound I see in every trailer ever nowdays, the "thrum.... thrum... thrum..."? Someone here mentioned the term once but I can't find it (in part because "that sound used in trailers" and "thrum..." didn't return any search results  Ohhhhh, I see.)

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Ninja Edit to stay on topic:  The trailer didn't impress me much, but I liked District 9, and I like Matt Damon and Jodie Foster enough to probably see it.  Also, my wife drags me to every crappy sci fi movie that hits theaters, so I won't have much of a say either way.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:12:43 PM

Also, my wife drags me to every crappy sci fi movie that hits theaters, so I won't have much of a say either way.

You are truly blessed.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:15:28 PM

Huh, that looks good.

But what is the same of that sound I see in every trailer ever nowdays, the "thrum.... thrum... thrum..."? Someone here mentioned the term once but I can't find it (in part because "that sound used in trailers" and "thrum..." didn't return any search results  Ohhhhh, I see.)

http://inception.davepedu.com/
Yes!! Thanks. Bookmarked smiley
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:11 AM

Also, my wife drags me to every crappy sci fi movie that hits theaters, so I won't have much of a say either way.

You are truly blessed.

No shit, be fucking grateful.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:46:02 PM

So like, what's the root of this movie? It kinda feels like a Fifth Element in that it'll be largely coming from nowhere while being awesome. It's not like Elysium is a household term either, though of course everyone's a wikipedia away from where that term comes from.

Is there some big arc to why this movie came to be and how it attracted Jodie Foster and Matt Damon? Or is it just a cool movie they got attracted to?

Yes, I'm so programmed by established brands, movies sold only because of A-listers doing things associated with them as actors/actresses, and sequelitis that I literally am surprised when something like this comes along.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 11:01:05 PM

It's from the guy who did District 9. He's got some cred in Hollywood after that success.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 07:52:33 PM

Ah. Well that makes sense.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 10:45:45 PM

But judging from your forum avatar you are too young to be married.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 08:20:56 AM

Hackers came out in '95?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 08:48:27 AM

He is, but then I think people should be made to wait until at least their 30's.  (Says the old maid.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 11:50:16 AM

He is, but then I think people should be made to wait until at least their 30's.  (Says the old maid.)

To be fair I haven't been married long, and I'm nearly 30.  But frankly these seems like inappropriate discussion for a thread about a movie, I was just trying to make a goofy comment.  My mistake I guess.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 06:04:00 PM

Hackers came out in '95?

Feh, our intern saw Hackers, and he was born that year.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't throw our age at Malakii of course. Freakin' kids, get off my lawn!

wink
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:38 AM

I vaguely remember being 29.  I think I may have gotten married that year too but things are hazy.

Anyways. I'm really excited about this film just because of Blomkamp.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 10:07:10 AM

We have an old man thread already.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:58:49 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 06:29:43 AM

Another heavy handed political movie from Matt Damon...
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 08:18:18 AM

Not sure about this but will give it a go because of District 9 if RT isn't too bad

"Me am play gods"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 02:21:50 PM

Another heavy handed political movie from Matt Damon...

Right-o, sparky.

Just saw the widescreen trailer for this before Oblivion. Glad to see they're still using props from the never made Halo movie. I'll still see it though, just because it looks good.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 06:56:48 PM

Funny, I just saw Oblivion as well, in IMAX, but I didn't get any good trailers. That stupid MIB RIPD one, the very first Superman trailer, at least the most recent Star Trek one but I've long since studied that one frame by frame  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 07:57:33 PM

Funny, I just saw Oblivion as well, in IMAX, but I didn't get any good trailers. That stupid MIB RIPD one, the very first Superman trailer, at least the most recent Star Trek one but I've long since studied that one frame by frame  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Not sure if it is different elsewhere, but at least in Canada, IMAX is a real bitch about what trailers you get to show on what movies.  The theatre chain i work for has some strict licencing stuff that has to be adhered to in regards to trailer Placement on IMAX movies.   As a result, every other movie in our theatre has a 12-15 minute trailer pack, and the IMAX screen only has a 5 minute trailer pack (or in the case of Oblivion, like 3 minutes, because we only got premission to show the #3 Star Treck trailer on it  swamp poop

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:30 PM

That seems like what I experienced. 3-4 trailers, all short, all old. Maybe they can only get movies that are also in IMAX format? Or maybe IMAX is a separate company renting space from theaters and therefore have different licensing arrangements with the studios?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 07:03:18 AM

This has a new Trailer btw. Which frankly is much better than the first one. Looks rather good.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 07:10:17 AM

Oh that does look very good

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 08:09:38 AM

I'm really looking forward to this. Even more after reading Blomkamp's reply to whether he would like to direct Star Trek III:

"I don't know if me getting involved with a franchise is the best thing for me. When studios smell franchises, they smell money. And they'll try to do what they can to the franchise to make it make the most money it can make, and a lot of those interesting ideas kind of fall by the side of the road."

"Do I like Star Trek on its own without the politics of making it? Yes, absolutely. But do I think that you could make it in the way that I would want to make it? Probably not, which makes me not want to make it."

Of course this answer makes me really want him to make it even while making it clear that no studio head would ever allow him to do except in exactly the way he highlights here: as a hired name who would be told exactly where the roller coaster ride has to go.

It would be interesting to see someone try to start a franchise about a spaceship that actually was involved in exploration--the space equivalent of Magellan's voyage, full of crazy shit and betrayal and with a crew full of cast-offs, exiles, visionaries, plunderers, egomaniacs and restless dreamers. Blomkamp would clearly be about the only SF-oriented director out there right now who could even vaguely hope to dial in on that channel.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 08:24:59 AM

I dunno, I liked Sunshine quite a bit, until it took a turn into an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MOVIE.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 09:56:12 AM

I dunno, I liked Sunshine quite a bit, until it took a turn into an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MOVIE.

That was Danny Boyle.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:50 AM

I was responding to "Blomkamp would clearly be about the only SF-oriented director out there right now who could even vaguely hope to dial in on that channel."

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 01:41:43 PM

So exactly like how I feel about Event Horizon.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 02:29:06 PM

So exactly like how I feel about Event Horizon.

Event Horizon was too hyped for me. People kept talking about how SCARY and FUCKED UP it was. I kept waiting...

beer geek.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 05:08:53 PM

Event Horizon was stupid.

Over and out.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 05:38:21 PM

Am I the only one whose gone to see this so far?  Went to see it last night while the husband saw "We're the Millers" which I have no desire to see.

I liked it.  It wasn't sappy, didn't end like I expected (although I wasn't surprised when a plot point was brought up how it did end), and looked good.  It's got plot holes, I'm sure (only 19 minutes from ground to station?!?) but eh, nothing that really made me shake my head in disbelief. 

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 06:48:13 PM

It's got plot holes, I'm sure (only 19 minutes from ground to station?!?) but eh, nothing that really made me shake my head in disbelief. 

Well, it doesn't actually take very long to reach space.  It only took the space shuttle about 10 minutes to enter low earth orbit.

Over and out.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:32 PM

Just saw this.  Good film but almost hilariously heavy-handed.  I really like the director's visual style but it wasn't an intelligent sci-fi movie. It was a big dumb summer flick without much action but with 'serious issues' slung at you like a monkey flings poo. Looks like it's on pace to be a flop.  Eh, Matt Damon was good.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 03:33:49 PM

Am I the only one whose gone to see this so far?  Went to see it last night while the husband saw "We're the Millers" which I have no desire to see.

I liked it.  It wasn't sappy, didn't end like I expected (although I wasn't surprised when a plot point was brought up how it did end), and looked good.  It's got plot holes, I'm sure (only 19 minutes from ground to station?!?) but eh, nothing that really made me shake my head in disbelief.  

Saw it a few days ago, but it didn't really leave much of a lasting impression beyond being a bit of a disappointment compared to District 9 which did much more with a much smaller budget. It's not a bad movie, but it feels like there was a lot of wasted potential there.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:22:54 PM by Velorath »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Elysium  
Jump to: