Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:14:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Orphan Black 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orphan Black  (Read 17155 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:09 PM

New from BBC America, or maybe somewhere in Canada. It takes place in Toronto, so who the fuck knows?

It's about a grifter who watches a woman that looks a lot like her jump in front of a train. Being the shitty person she is, she chooses to take over train girl's life.

Shit gets weird from there as she finds out she's a clone, as was the jumper and several other women.

The first two episodes have kept me intrigued. It doesn't hurt that the main character(s) is fairly hot.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:54:07 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:10:58 PM

I was pretty sure I was going to like it as soon as I caught the reference in the opening scene (hint: The only placed called Huxley in Canada is a tiny little flyspeck of a town in Alberta).  I liked the first episode, haven't caught the second yet.

--Dave

EDIT: I don't know if the main character is all that hot, but she has an extremely nice ass, and thanks to lolcanada TV standards, we get some nice views.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:26:30 AM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:23:54 AM

We get the same views here in the states since it airs on a cable channel, but for me at least the ass isn't nice enough to carry the series, but then again I'm not much of a fan of OMG CONSPIRACY!!!! type shows.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:17 AM

We get the same views here in the states since it airs on a cable channel, but for me at least the ass isn't nice enough to carry the series, but then again I'm not much of a fan of OMG CONSPIRACY!!!! type shows.
Pretty sure that BBC America is the only place it airs, but it is shot in Canada by Canadian standards.  So, sideboob and butts.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:59:57 PM

Pretty sure that BBC America is the only place it airs, but it is shot in Canada by Canadian standards.  So, sideboob and butts.

--Dave

BBC America is a cable channel so it has a different standard for what it can show than the broadcast networks.  Granted the broadcast standards have loosened up over the years but a fully displayed bare ass is still a rare thing.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:05:59 AM

a fully displayed bare ass is still a rare thing.

Not on this show. I caught at least 2 of these on the first episode, one of which was a man, man.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:40 AM

HOW THE FUCK MANY MORE ARE THERE?Huh??   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 02:31:46 PM

Asses? Or Clones?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:27:14 PM

So if you get your sideboob and butt quota from normal primetime TV this is an utterly forgettable series, or is there something else to like about it?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:20 AM

So if you get your sideboob and butt quota from normal primetime TV this is an utterly forgettable series, or is there something else to like about it?
It's fun watching her doing the different personalities of the various clones, she chews the scenery a bit with some of them, but it's still interesting.  The bits where she's being the title character trying to be the cop that killed herself and losing the plot on occasion is a cool piece of acting.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:34 AM

She's actually not a bad actress and yeah, watching the main character take her turns as unreliable grifter, fake cop and little girl lost in this great big pile of WTF is kinda cool.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 09:13:29 AM

Really digging this show.

The actress does a great enough job that I don't think "heh, that actress is playing someone else now" and more "new character".  Each of the clones feels believable to me.

And it's nice to have a conspiracy show that doesn't have a monster of the week b-plot.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:30 AM

She presented at the Juno awards (Canadian Grammys) on the weekend. It was a very, "So that's her real voice!" moment for me.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:19 AM

This show is progressing along nicely - might actually be the show I most anticipate each week, outside of GoT maybe. The last episode  had one of those moments that made me swear out loud at my tv with no one else in the room.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 06:48:02 AM

I know exactly the moment because the wife and I did it too.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:54:39 AM

This show is progressing along nicely - might actually be the show I most anticipate each week, outside of GoT maybe. The last episode  had one of those moments that made me swear out loud at my tv with no one else in the room.

100%.  Game of Thrones and Orphan Black are the only two shows I don't multitask during.

Also holy shit.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 08:18:30 AM

I'm actually up to date on this show, which is amazing for me.  Of course, there aren't many episodes.  Still, it's an accomplishment.  I like it and the last episode sort of shocked me, too.  I really wasn't expecting that to happen at all until just before it happened. 

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 09:15:57 AM

This show is progressing along nicely - might actually be the show I most anticipate each week, outside of GoT maybe. The last episode  had one of those moments that made me swear out loud at my tv with no one else in the room.

100%.  Game of Thrones and Orphan Black are the only two shows I don't multitask during.

Also holy shit.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 02:18:08 PM

I like this show.  But it reminds me of True Blood where every episode ends on some fucking cliffhanger.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 03:06:26 PM

I agree.  Sometimes it seems tv shows are so concerned about how to end an episode that they forget to develop characters and/or follow their own plot.  I don't need a cliff hanger every episode to get me to watch again.  I need an interesting story, decent acting and the hope, however unlikely, that Johnny Depp will join the cast of everything I watch. 

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:03 AM

Also holy shit.

Yeah. Damn at the end of the last episode.

And

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:28 PM

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 01:26:56 PM

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 01:33:20 PM

Haven't seen Chekov's petri dish yet?  I have a theory that there is more to Kira than just a bread crumb trail to the original.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:20 AM

My wife and I had a nice marathon this past weekend and are caught up.

Great show. She's a great actress. I tend to forget that she's the same actress playing all these different people and I'm just thinking of them as different characters.

Oh, and that ass? Is nice.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 01:02:33 PM

Yeah I like her as well.  I think it's a little funny that everyone else that's been on the show has been a good head taller than her though.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 06:59:09 PM

Mother. Fucker. That was fucking nuts. Great ride. Bring on the next season! Spring 2014 can't come soon enough.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 12:07:53 PM

Mother. Fucker. That was fucking nuts. Great ride. Bring on the next season! Spring 2014 can't come soon enough.

So good.  This show delivers.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 07:42:13 AM

Very good ending. Glad to finally see

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 11:58:28 AM

Very good ending. Glad to finally see

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 04:02:44 PM

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 04:38:07 PM

Ok, I finally got caught up with this show.  Really great; definitely one of the better shows I've seen in recent memory.  I'm kind of glad I watched them all over the course of a week though, considering how they loved to use cliffhangers.

Over and out.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 06:31:14 AM

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:41 AM

Really though, that's the only part of the whole plot that I question which is pretty good for a show of this type.

Over and out.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:55 AM

So I watched the first episode.  This is supposed to take place in the US, but the two antagonists are British?  Why is the money European (the stack she gets from the bank is red) but the characters speak of dollars?  In the first scene at the train station, New York is referenced but they are clearly not any train design I have seen in America.  Is this just sloppy or will it make sense later?

None of these things are jarring enough to ruin the show but they do present a bizarre dichotmy.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Orphan Black  
Jump to: