Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:37:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Orphan Black 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orphan Black  (Read 17187 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 06:12:59 AM

It's actually set in Toronto (the funny looking money is Canadian) they just don't bother saying it. They make a few references to Toronto suburbs during the series.

The English accents get explained.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:39 AM

Yeah, the first episode had a lot of really jarring disconnects around location, but they pretty much go away in subsequent episodes.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 12:01:46 PM

It's actually set in Toronto (the funny looking money is Canadian) they just don't bother saying it. They make a few references to Toronto suburbs during the series.

The English accents get explained.

That's funny. I just waved my hands and assumed Canada.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 02:08:20 PM

So I watched the first episode.  This is supposed to take place in the US, but the two antagonists are British?  Why is the money European (the stack she gets from the bank is red) but the characters speak of dollars?  In the first scene at the train station, New York is referenced but they are clearly not any train design I have seen in America.  Is this just sloppy or will it make sense later?

None of these things are jarring enough to ruin the show but they do present a bizarre dichotmy.
Almost as if there were some country almost exactly like America, where ex-pat brits were more common, the money was called "dollars" but looked wierd, and even medium-sized cities might have train systems. 

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 03:39:40 PM

In other words, a fictional city.  why so serious?

Over and out.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 07:35:52 PM

The show takes place in Toronto, Canada. They use Canadian dollars there. New York is a remote destination. And the Britishness is clearly explained by the end of episode two. :)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 09:51:09 AM

And the Britishness is clearly explained by the end of episode two. :)

Confirmed!

I have never played WoW.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 01:33:19 PM

Shows set in Genericville, North America and filmed in Canada has been a staple of sci-fi television for over a decade now.  Seems strange to even bring it up honestly.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 02:03:38 PM

With in the first like 10-15 mins of the first episode, they show the boyfriends return flight arriving at Toronto Pearson YYZ.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 07:22:45 AM

I dug down to this show on my queue of 'get around to it' shows on Friday. Watched the entire first season in 36 hours. I'm impressed by what I've seen, but am a bit worried by where it seems to be headed. I think we're headed to a Messiah daughter storyline.

One of the best things in the show is that they're free to use so many of the characters however they want with no consideration for how the acting needs to be paid. That limits the one sided phone calls we get when an sector would only bewanted for one conversation in an episode.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 02:14:33 PM

I love how the clones have such a different look.  I feel dramatically different levels of attractiveness towards each of them yet they are the same physical person.

I have never played WoW.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 02:51:19 PM

Maslany acted her ass off the whole season.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 16, 2013, 03:12:22 PM

Shows seen week to week or all at once can seem very different.  I imagine that the nuances of her performances were even more pronounced when you watch all 10 in a day and a half like I did.  I was extremely impressed by her ability to make these characters all seem different, even when the clone was acting like it was another clone.  Outstanding work.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:41 PM

She really acted her ass off. Even watching week to week, you get the idea of how incredibly well she differentiated each character and not just with her look or accent.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 06:33:27 AM

She (Tatiana Maslany) was recently nominated for a Golden Globe for the role.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 08:21:05 PM

Just an FYI, the new season of this is starting.

Over and out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #51 on: April 20, 2014, 05:20:39 PM

And it came back pulling no punches.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:33 AM

This is streaming on Amazon Prime, I think all of it in HD included.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #53 on: May 04, 2014, 09:11:02 PM

This just keeps upping the ante on the creep factor.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #54 on: June 21, 2014, 09:46:15 PM

And the season ends on a crazier note than it started.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: June 23, 2014, 10:03:55 AM

Crazier and yet totally fucking awesome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 23, 2014, 10:29:56 AM

I'm waffling between awesome and worrisome.  I could see the new wrinkle - and the kid aspect of the storyline - being really bad twists.

I feel like I'm on an out of control truck flying down hill - it has the potential for a horrible crash and burn - but if it doesn't, it will be a heck of a ride... and there has been no crash, yet.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 11:09:59 AM

Two seasons of solid writing and a lot of unexpected plot twists. I'm willing to stay on that ride.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: June 23, 2014, 11:43:59 AM

Hell, I'll keep watching it because it's one of the few shows on TV where I just can't predict ANYTHING that's going to happen because it's all just so fucking odd.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 05:23:43 PM

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 09:55:41 PM

Season 3 started tonight, and it was another great episode imo.

I was worried about the dude playing the male clones, considering he has to play multiple clones when only one of them has their characters fleshed out, but he did well enough.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #61 on: April 19, 2015, 12:56:18 AM

Stupid DVR decided not to record it.  swamp poop On again at midnight...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #62 on: April 19, 2015, 01:07:24 AM

My DVR caught it.. along with the rest of season 2.  swamp poop WTG Comcast!

-Rasix
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #63 on: April 19, 2015, 12:50:41 PM

Pervstache clone is first on my list to get smoked.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 01:21:52 PM

I think the man clones are awesome freaky.  They really do look evil.  I like this show a lot. 

I set my DVR to record the Nurse Jackie premier and it recorded the previous season's marathon, too.  I don't get it, either.  We have FIOS. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: April 20, 2015, 03:33:48 PM

You have to go in and change the recording options to "new shows" only (i.e. no reruns).
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #66 on: June 20, 2015, 07:06:51 PM

And another season ends with you wondering how the fuck they're going to top that.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #67 on: June 22, 2015, 08:43:13 AM

You have to go in and change the recording options to "new shows" only (i.e. no reruns).

That's how we've always had it but it seems to have reset for some reason.  Do you think we have leprechauns? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 23, 2015, 05:20:19 AM

And another season ends with you wondering how the fuck they're going to top that.

Good to hear. Haven't had Season 3 in the UK yet - waiting with antici

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #69 on: April 14, 2016, 07:05:33 PM

Season 4 is back on in the US tonight.

Was at a meet and greet with Maslany, Jordan Gavaris and Kristian Bruun (Donny) two weeks ago. They're all amazing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Orphan Black  
Jump to: