Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  (Read 149436 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: September 24, 2014, 12:49:23 AM

Yes that's what I said.

I prefer backstabbing for the damage though. Single target damage not much else comes close, vulnerabilities aside. Plus it's more fun teleporting about the place stabbing stuff than turning in to a rock or tree and shooting arrows.

They could fix some of these issues by making the good spells require at the least a three level commitment to the ability. As it is you can get so many good ones at 2 point that it makese no sense to go all in. Needing to spend 30 of your 49 ability points to be a serious Mage would bring a bit more diversity to character options.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #386 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:56 AM

I'm finally doing a proper playthrough (almost reached level 5). Party is:

- Wayfarer (Marksman/Geomancer/Hydro)
- Shadowblade (Scoundrel/Witchcraft)
- Madora
- Jahan

It's a good mix: I just added Jahan, gave him Pyro beside his starting skills. Oh, and given the conflicting personalities I gave to my "mains", he didn't want to join, then I read you just need to talk with him alone with one of your characters :P

Anyway, what a fantastic game; some lazy design issues here and there ( confusing dialog trees, for example, and it's a pity they didn't manage to complete NPC schedules paired with Day/Night cycles), but they don't lower the overall value of the product, IMO.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #387 on: September 24, 2014, 06:30:44 AM

Normally Sky is into that sort of shit, I think we need a deep analysis of what's gone wrong here.  why so serious?
Yeah, I don't know. For the last year the only things that hook me are minecraft, the occasional Rift/TOR jaunt and minecraft. Somehow during this great renaissance of my favorite genre of games (isometric tbrpg) I'm completely uninterested in them. It's been a weird year.
There's no point in role playing shit in this game.
The game doesn't acknowledge your knightly behavior or magey behavior.
It's a powergaming fun
The game won't give you your imagination. You especially should understand this. Or go ahead and powergame it and complain that it's too easy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:36:52 AM by Sky »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: September 25, 2014, 09:22:18 AM

Running with a Battle Mage, Wizard, Jahan and Madora, was becoming a struggle smiley After Merusk mentioned the guy at Homestead, I dabble with swapping Jahan out for a few others, settling on a Ranger. Part of the problem was by then I was level 8. There were better options but they were either much higher level or too low. Wish I knew about that guy sooner  tongue

Been going ok so far.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #389 on: September 25, 2014, 10:11:50 AM

Recruit whoever you like, then kick them out of your party.  They'll hang around the homestead near the character vendor, and when you talk to the character, you can re-recruit them at your current level.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: September 25, 2014, 10:14:22 AM

oooh. Did NOT know that. Thanks!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: September 25, 2014, 03:39:12 PM

One of the mages starts with three points in aero at level 1. Plus 1 pyro  and something else. Yay for 3 free ability points.

He is a badass to be sure, but nothing comes even remotely close to the damage output of my scoundrel with a legendary dagger and spice fire enchant. About 150 damage per two AP, before taking backstab in to account, etc. at level 7. She has the swiftness perk too. Once haste is popped she fills up ap every round and can move over the whole battlefield in only a couple of ap. the movement skills are just used to jump fire and poison they're so inefficient, likewise the aero chain stun.

Edit: the dagger also causes blindness and cursed. Blindness btw stops the enemy from doing attacks of opportunity.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:45:06 PM by lamaros »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #392 on: September 25, 2014, 06:27:16 PM

Blindness stops them from doing anything.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: September 25, 2014, 07:46:42 PM

I thought they could still attack things next to them? Either way it is good.

Also on why backstab is great - the trait to make it +20% is not to sneeze at. Especially when you have Bully and a way to slow or cripple with other chars.

If I was going to play through with two lone wolves I'd go with one being scoundrel mage for this single target damage bohemoth and crowd control, and the other a man at arms pyromancer with all the area effect fun. Given how little the followers have in the way of personality I don't see why not.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:03:44 PM by lamaros »
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: September 25, 2014, 08:17:04 PM

The problem is when one of them gets hit by crowd control.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I suppose the problem goes away once you pop a hard counter buff. But having 4x AP Pool adds a little bit of lee-way when facing those CC Situations.
Madora is strong in battle with her perks - while the Sorcerer has easy synergy and useful crafting perk.
We haven't even covered crafting invisibility pots that took 3 AP to consume but render the character effectively 'ignored' in battle for 5 turns till any action breaks it.
I think the game suffers a lot of 'boring' when you play through it in Lone Wolf, lesser options leads to one-track solution to most battles.

Oh, have you discovered the pyramids? I find it immensely useful for the slow fighters to just teleport to the scoundrel in melee.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: September 25, 2014, 09:01:33 PM

Slow fighters I think get value from going one point in to marksman (and scoundrel at level 10) for retreat, if you can spare it. With that and the charge you do ok. Plus you can teleport guys to their front door with another character.

For CC the only problem I think is when you don't have imitative. Otherwise scoundrel or potion invis after haste means you can wait and set up a perfect move with all your cc to take them out. There's nothing really hard in this game if you use everything you have, potions and scrolls etc.

I mostly use the pyramid to port quickly to the crafting tools (I've never tried to pick them up, just assumed you can't).

Rain is one of the most powerful spells at times. Wet gives you such a boost against fire, and makes ranged stun and freeze cc even easier. Pick your battle near a water source, teleport any ranged guys and melee smash, while electrified water stops melee doing anything.

Still, more fun to just try new things. Fire resist tank with self immolation and explode is fun. Haste then invis (fire shield if lots of melee enemies). Then battering ram, immolate then explode (12 ap). Maybe not as great as just doing stuff from ranged, but more fun.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: September 26, 2014, 04:03:51 AM

Regarding combat, I didn't expect to like it so much honestly, mostly because I'm in the RTwP party. Its mix of satisfying visual feedback, combinations and yes, even unbalanced powers, makes it for a very funny and rewarding experience. At least at the beginning, there are instances where you look up a monster party and think "OMG they are too many and powerful", only to find it wasn't so bad after all.

I've played all previous Divinity titles by Larian, so I knew exactly what to expect dialog and story wise (the goofyness of it all), but so far I'm pleased. For a different approach, I'm sure Eternity and Torment will provide a more "serious" experience.

The "Bad", IMO, it's a sum of all those little imperfections you can find: inventory management is hellish, a true "old school" experience that the OCD in you will love/hate :P . Dialogue trees are confusing and the immersive storyfag in me doesn't like the fact that it's always like you meet that person for the first time each time you talk with him/her; minimap and world map zoom always reset, DAMNIT. They made huge progressions on the animation of the characters since alpha (well, of course :P), but they still feel awkward and a little slow. A little too attention has been placed toward having as many AP as possible (speed) in order to be really effective, but hey, AP are the heart of the TB combat, in this case.

But, umm, that's all the bad I can find in this title, honestly, especially when I realize that in no way they wanted to provide the ultimate polished grimdarkmature and balanced experience (which is not a bad thing per se, yes)

But yeah, it's a gem and GOTY material.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:57 AM

If Obsidion could take this basic combat and system and give it decent story, followers, etc then it would be great. I worry Eternity will be the reverse of Divinity though.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: September 26, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Story is the one thing I trust Obsidian to do well.  Non-buggy gameplay however ...  why so serious?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: September 26, 2014, 04:20:19 PM

awesome, for real modders will fix it... (for bethesda and cryo engine games only)  why so serious?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: October 02, 2014, 07:13:08 AM

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: October 31, 2014, 06:13:19 AM

New patch.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=557734#Post557734

Rather large number of changes. Nothing earth shattering though.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: March 19, 2015, 05:29:29 AM

The Larian guys are simply the best (hilarious video about the italian translation, just patched in) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgR9cWhADE

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #403 on: March 19, 2015, 05:40:57 AM

Wow. Amazing, for real.

PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: March 19, 2015, 11:21:49 AM

I played this one for a bit before my interest just petered out. The fight mechanics were fine, just that the story was kinda out there.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #405 on: March 20, 2015, 07:10:15 AM

Now I understand how collaborative programming works!

Thanks Larian!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #406 on: April 09, 2015, 03:38:42 PM

From Dec 2014, their last Kickstarter update

Divinity: Original Sin - Update #66: PC Game of the Year

It's worth a watch, but longish (16 mins), so I made a summary of what is still to come for D:OS:

• Controller Support
  • Some stuff that's 'secret'
  • Hardcore mode - creatures get new skills, fights changed, "real hardcore mode - not just some formulas that have been switched, big change in game-play"
  • Economy change, value of drops modified "We are not happy with people being required to rob all the paintings
  • Another guy working on something "they can't tell"
  • Writing changes 1 "We know there were some weaker parts in the story." "We are revamping the way the main story is presented to the players."
  • Writing changes 2 Companies being more fleshed out, have more own story, more party banter.
  • Sven "Brat..Hi. Well, where is that Linux version?" Brat: "Good question..." Sven: "And where is it?" Brat: "We are working on it...", issues with middle ware, now solved, already compiling.
  • Engine changes 1 - optimizing for quad+ core CPUs in the works
  • Engine changes 2 - Multi-player server and client will be uncoupled, server will run as stand alone programme, "like small persistent campaign settings that keeps running and friends can log in" "But we are not making an MMO!"
  • New RPG coming in 2015, based on the Divinity:OS engine

Really hats of to them. Is there any other Dev studio right now that treats their games like this post release?  Love Letters

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: August 12, 2015, 08:07:21 AM

Back to kickstarter for D:OS 2

Campaign starts August 26th.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #408 on: August 12, 2015, 10:33:33 AM

Back to kickstarter for D:OS 2

Campaign starts August 26th.

Woot. I'll make a thread for it!

They have a page for players to suggest goals and pledge rewards for the kickstarter.

This suggestion made me snicker:

A tad unlikely maybe, but oh God, an Obsidian-Larian game. *drools*   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #409 on: August 12, 2015, 10:36:45 AM

Feel free to subsidize this for me, suckers.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #410 on: August 13, 2015, 07:35:14 AM

^^^
It's like social wealth redistribution in reverse.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: August 14, 2015, 09:26:42 AM

Why would you kickstart the sequel to a very successful game? Don't you have money now? Anyone putting in anything beyond a preorder value is an idiot.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: August 14, 2015, 11:18:22 AM

Why would you kickstart the sequel to a very successful game? Don't you have money now? Anyone putting in anything beyond a preorder value is an idiot.

Why gamble your own money when you can gamble someone elses?

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: August 14, 2015, 11:40:46 AM

Well sure, I know why they are doing it.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: August 14, 2015, 11:47:01 AM

Swen Vincke spoke about crowdfunding on the company blog and the idea was that they planned to make their future game on their own with quite a lot of negative responses. On his next blog entry he finished with the following:
I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts about this, especially if you’re somebody who crowd funded before. Is it ok for a company who’s enjoyed a certain level of success thanks to a crowd funding to return to crowd funding? Is it something that should be encouraged so that more people discover crowd funding? Or is something that should be discouraged because the pool of crowd funding is limited?
As you can see by the reactions most fans were in favor of going the kickstarter route again.
http://www.lar.net/2014/10/01/the-halo-effect/

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #415 on: August 14, 2015, 12:00:03 PM

I'm happy they found a way to sell the game that allows them more developmental freedom. Say what you want about KS'd video games, folks like Larian are using it in a way I support. A clearer execution of the studio's vision with less pressure to shove it out the door.

And that's pretty much the answer, the same reason they KS'd the first game though they didn't have to. I wonder how many great studios would still be around if they had been able to self-publish with crowdfunding?

I also wonder if Larian shouldn't just go RSI and open their own crowdfunding site directly. I'd certainly back their next game ahead of time.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: August 14, 2015, 06:22:44 PM

But can I run a tavern? And breed horses?

Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: August 14, 2015, 06:30:36 PM

Only in Star Citizen
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: August 15, 2015, 09:28:07 PM

Only in Star Citizen
Can I build a feta-pult?

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: August 16, 2015, 01:04:44 AM

Only in Star Citizen
Can I build a feta-pult?

How much is it worth to you to be able to do so?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  
Jump to: