Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:20:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  (Read 149510 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #350 on: August 17, 2014, 02:19:01 PM

My dudes don't really feel like they're getting much more powerful when they go up a level.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #351 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:40 PM

I think that's because the whole 'scaling of power per pt is just 5% debuff chance added and 5% ability dmg'
To me, additional skill picks creates more 'power' than anything else in the game.
Yes, a high INT wizard is effective - but one that focuses on a single-high level school wouldn't be as good as 2-medium level schools.

Earth is awesome knockdown but seems lacking without Fire, Water is Freeze Freeze Freeze - or Chain Stun Paradise with Air.
Recommended Combo
Earth/Fire Wizard
Water/Air Wizard

Those two are ridiculously good at just chaining off their spell combos.
While the 'jack of all trades' can choose to go for Water (Free Rain = Wet) or Air (Teleport - Versatile - No Saving Throw!) or Witchcraft (Oath for 50% bonus dmg on AOE skills!)

Favorite Battle Application:
Rain > Lightning Bolt
Earth Boulder > Fireball
Rain > Water Elemental

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: August 17, 2014, 09:20:45 PM

I don't seem to have the option to put 2nd points into things mostly. I should probably find a faq or something.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: August 18, 2014, 04:59:11 AM

It costs 2 points for the second point so if you haven't got 2 to spare the plussie won't even show up next to the stat.

I wanted to like this game. I started and stopped half a dozen times with different builds but I can't get through the town stuff. It's just too boring for me.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #354 on: August 18, 2014, 05:51:16 AM

Yeah, it takes as many points as the next rank in a skill to skill-up, to a cap of 5 points.  With magic skills this lets you learn 3, 5, 7, 9, All skills.

The increasing point cost is why I was so adamant about not giving-up the +skill weapons I'd found.  I could invest another 9 points in 2h/ armor/ whatever oooor I could just suck it up and deal with less damage but more utility by spreading those 9 points around.  Easy choice.

The town portion really, really, REALLY sucks. Not enough dungeon runs in general in the game.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:19 AM

Oh, well crap. I assumed I just wasn't high enough level to get 2nd ranks in things. The idea of starting over annoys me.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #356 on: August 18, 2014, 12:39:07 PM

Yeah, they never explain that and if I hadn't read about the game's mechanics a ton before getting more than 1 hour into a playthrough it probably would've made me quit.  But they do let you reallocate skills a few hours in, so it's not that bad.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #357 on: August 18, 2014, 01:11:21 PM

Which will cause you to lose any skills you've learned.  So, hope you didn't buy many.

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: August 20, 2014, 07:56:00 PM

I need a game to fit what my life has become and this seems perfect. Any advice for someone who's only skimmed the thread enough to be inspired to buy it?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: August 20, 2014, 08:18:53 PM

I need a game to fit what my life has become

why so serious? Are you sure? Y/N?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25:49 PM

Ha. Yea, can't be something I think about between unpredictable sessions of unpredictable duration, but more than bullshit mobile apps that offer nothing more than check in mechanics and notifications. I have Godus and Clash of Clans for that noise smiley

Eh, should say I want a game like this in particular, a meaty single player RPG. Just so happens it fits my current lifestyle...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:31:52 PM by Darniaq »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #361 on: August 20, 2014, 08:44:16 PM

This is a long game where it takes a long time to do anything.  Factor that in.

-Rasix
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: August 20, 2014, 09:43:54 PM

I hate to say this game kinda lost momentum past the midway point.
Early game - so many power opportunities and experiment.
But midgame just kinda suck cause most basic tricks are still effective.
So you ended up cheesing through most encounters.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: August 21, 2014, 12:04:18 AM

A really long time. Like multiple minutes to walk across town to get to the vendor you need long. If I don't have at least an hour to sink into it I don't fire it up. Hell, the initial load time is long.

schild
Administrator

Reply #364 on: August 21, 2014, 12:11:04 AM

I hate to say this game kinda lost momentum past the midway point.

Eurotrash. Eurotrash never changes.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #365 on: August 21, 2014, 06:11:27 AM

I kind of enjoyed the late game where you could sneak up on an unsuspecting group of enemies and rain a bunch of fireballs down on them to initiate the fight.  I didn't even do any powergaming, though I could see how it could end up being pretty silly.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: August 21, 2014, 07:51:27 AM

Cool ok. I like the old school vibe, but yea, may not be a fit long haul.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #367 on: August 21, 2014, 10:55:33 AM

New patch today (still no new companions, unfortunately; I'll keep waiting for the "serious" playthrough I wanna start):

Notes (bold is mine:  swamp poop why so serious?)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: August 30, 2014, 01:36:07 PM

Loving this. Exactly the kind of game I need. Only thing I'm waiting for some modder to make is a better inventory management system. Everything else is perfect for me.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #369 on: September 08, 2014, 09:28:59 AM

Had to throw this up; in an earlier post i had mentioned how i had done the tutorial dungeon backwards by accident after lock picking the door you come out of and starting with the boss fight.  This freedom is a bit of a two edged sword.  I finally am in the last 10% of the game, and ran up against a door that can only be opened if you have collected a minimum number of star stones.  Apparently, i am one short.  So my options are now, either go back through all of the 16 spots where i should have gotten one to find the one i missed, which could take a long time.  Or try to beat the door down for 30 minutes.

Considering at least 1 of the stones was just lying on the ground in the wilderness near a dead body, i don't think this last door was well designed :)  It's crap like that which makes me hope people will take the engine and game and just do a better job with the plot and story....

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #370 on: September 15, 2014, 04:32:41 AM

New patch has just been deployed on Steam:

Later today, the DLC with 2 new companions will be available to everyone for free (new companions are a Rogue and a Ranger).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: September 16, 2014, 04:04:15 PM

Finally started playing. Enjoying so far. Didn't realise you need to save skill points to get to level two but no big deal.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: September 17, 2014, 11:38:50 PM

I love combat in this game. They need an ultra hard mode though.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: September 18, 2014, 12:02:37 AM

I love combat in this game. They need an ultra hard mode though.

Agreed. Most abilities need rebalancing.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: September 18, 2014, 08:40:20 PM

Finally started playing. Enjoying so far. Didn't realise you need to save skill points to get to level two but no big deal.
Yea I typically have one untrained point per character at any given time. I'm working hard to not theorycraft it out of game. I feel like it'd be easy to gimp oneself, so I'm just sticking to the classic archetypes. Wish I had started with some type of archer though. Started with a Battle Mage and Wizard only then to meet a Wizard. Eventually found Madora. Haven't figured out Aggro much though.

Thing I didn't realize is that it seems balanced to a party of four. I turned down Jahan and Madora at first because I didn't like their extremist views, and I figured eh if these two want to join me, surely there'll be others in Cyseal.

As far as I can tell, that is not the case. There isn't anyone else early on, and you won't be getting much north of Cyseal without them.

There ARE future characters that show up though right? I only just got to Silverglen, then went back to Cyseal to finish up areas and quests I missed. 30 hours in and I'm still in the newb zone  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: September 18, 2014, 09:04:08 PM

There are two more with the recent patch. But you'd need to restart.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #376 on: September 19, 2014, 02:57:04 AM

You can also buy companions once you wind up meeting the Imp. It's not explained in the best manner but you have to barter with the guy who mentions showing you the other heroes. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:38 PM

You can always respec http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=521295&page=4

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: September 22, 2014, 06:43:08 PM

You can also buy companions once you wind up meeting the Imp. It's not explained in the best manner but you have to barter with the guy who mentions showing you the other heroes.  

Oh thanks! I'll check with him.

Lamaros: thanks, I saw that in a patch note. No way I'm restarting, but I'll see if I started after that patch by checking on the Ranger.

Edit: nope, don't have the new characters; however, did find guy in Hall of Heroes. Wow quite a lot of options..
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:19:31 PM by Darniaq »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: September 23, 2014, 12:56:53 AM

The real problem with the skills in this game is actually the attributes. If you're a Mage you just need int and can go all in on more than one school. If you're a fighter or scoundrel, bad luck, it's strength or dex and not both - or you just stuff your ability to get enough speed or constitution. And you don't even get much cross over benefit when you do do that, because the weapons are ether/or.

Plus the two dex classes don't overlap either.

So you can throw a few points in int and then use any an all of the spell school, while others are left with no options but to get diminishing returns on the one stat and skill they already choose.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:53 PM

Int 8 warrior disagrees
St 8 scoundrels get the benefit of a light shield. Pop an enchant on shield for added resist.
Sarongs are 8 int required.
Low speed chars are shit.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: September 23, 2014, 08:24:20 PM

You're agreeing with me, shield scoundrel aside (which isn't very good IMO). There is no point to o anything other than wizard, or wizard/scoundrel, wizard/warrior. There's no warrior/scoundrel value.

Int and speed goes with everything, dex and str only really go with their builds, con is just a little bonus if you have nothing better to do and perception is just crap.

So, role playing aside, all this interesting character build choices come from 'what spells do I want to mix with this'.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:30 PM

There's no point in role playing shit in this game.
The game doesn't acknowledge your knightly behavior or magey behavior.
It's a powergaming fun the only biggest flaw is Scoundrel having only certain limited spell choices - and having to hybrid over to Marksman skill pool which isn't half bad cause Guerilla with 5 Sneak is 1 point at 15 metre double damage.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: September 23, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

One of the biggest problems I noticed with non-spellcasters is that cooldowns for spells decrease with high Int, but cooldowns for non-spellcasters remain static no matter your str/dex/speed/whatever.  So a mage with high enough Int can just spam their best spells very very often, while a warrior or something else is stuck with the original cooldown on their skills.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:23 PM

One of the biggest problems I noticed with non-spellcasters is that cooldowns for spells decrease with high Int, but cooldowns for non-spellcasters remain static no matter your str/dex/speed/whatever.  So a mage with high enough Int can just spam their best spells very very often, while a warrior or something else is stuck with the original cooldown on their skills.

Another reason why mid game kinda suck is definitely because the high AP high level spells are just not up to scratch in terms of performance vs investment.
You will learn this painful lesson when the final battle commence.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  
Jump to: