Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  (Read 149422 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #315 on: July 28, 2014, 01:16:31 PM

When you make weapons with level 5 crafting/blacksmithing, certain combinations get bonuses to strength.  Don't think there's a way to craft +weapon skills, though.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: July 28, 2014, 05:16:56 PM

The scissors-rock-paper thing is dumb as all hell, but I assume that will be modded away.  Otherwise, this game is the frickin' bees knees; I've been playing obsessively.  The skill system is a little opaque and a lot annoying (books), but that's fixable already with the character editor (and makes it feel even more like a classic 90s game!).

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #317 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:28 PM

The scissors-rock-paper thing is dumb as all hell, but I assume that will be modded away.  Otherwise, this game is the frickin' bees knees.  The skill system is a little opaque and a lot annoying (books), but that's fixable already with the character editor (and makes it feel even more like a classic 90s game!).

When the mini-game comes up, just select another character.  Then go back to the one that's in the conversation.  It'll auto-win the mini-game for you.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #318 on: July 28, 2014, 05:30:44 PM

I thought they patched that out?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #319 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:07 PM

Yes. You use the essences.  Be aware they overwrite each other.

Yeah I got that, but I was looking for +2-hand or +str like you find on the green, blue and orange magic weapons. It seems all you can do is create a Vanilla weapon with +fire/water/earth damage (and later +tenebrium)

I suppose if I fall enough behind I can go with that, but the loss of 10% damage due to lower 2-h and +damage from strength might not be enough at this point.

There is an enchant you can place on your weapon for +2 STR & DEX.
I would also recommend mages to ignore staff altogether and instead go find a shield and good one hander for additional enchant slot on their shield.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Rasix

Reply #320 on: July 28, 2014, 06:38:55 PM

I thought they patched that out?

Worked all the way through the game for me.

-Rasix
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: July 28, 2014, 07:19:07 PM

When the mini-game comes up, just select another character.  Then go back to the one that's in the conversation.  It'll auto-win the mini-game for you.

Heart

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:40 PM

Is the skill still bugged though ? 

Still is.
QA totally missed that part cause they probably didn't make it that far in.
I dunno what the fuck convinced them it's a good idea.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:46 AM

Which pretty much ruins Merusks plan.

I'm still reeling at whoever thought that would be a good late game idea.

It's not.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
schild
Administrator

Reply #324 on: July 29, 2014, 02:55:14 AM

I would wager the average reviewer played this for 3 hours. Tops.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:29 AM

I would wager the average reviewer played this for 3 hours. Tops.
Did you just imply that there are reviewers that actually play any game for more than a couple of hours prior to writing their review?

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #326 on: July 29, 2014, 06:26:40 AM

Heart

That's even better than the "win once then spacebar" thing.

Which pretty much ruins Merusks plan.

I'm still reeling at whoever thought that would be a good late game idea.

It's not.

Yeah it does, but it's all good. I found an orange scythe and a blue axe last night that are both a level below me but superior to crafted items in damage and stats so I'm all set again.   Hooray for useless crafting!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 29, 2014, 07:31:23 AM

Weapons are for the Weak anyway.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #328 on: July 29, 2014, 08:11:12 AM

Maybe I built him wrong or I haven't found the right skillbooks but my mage just doesn't fuck things up the way my melee chars do. The 2h guys take full 1/4 to 1/2 bars of health with one swing, even on named guys. (Except names with gold spikes. those vary)  The spells and spell effects whittle shit down in an unsatisfactory way.

Mage is level 5 Aeromancy and 4 Pyromancy and 13 int. He just can't compete.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: July 29, 2014, 08:16:42 AM

I find my 2 hander will literally chop the heads off anyone they meet in one go;  but due to the high strength and Con, they end up having low speed and not many action points.  It's usually bulrush, Chib, then stand about like a prick until challenged or a mage teleports some cunt on top of her.

My Rogue, on the other hand, is a MILLION AP running and slicing machine who can backstab a dude to death in two hits.  He also teleports behind them.   swamp poop ACK!

My mages usually just do 'the funny stuff'.  Bleeding, blinding and generally chuckleworthy stuff that might not rank huge in terms of instant kills, but is just hugely amusing in terms of humiliation of enemies.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #330 on: July 29, 2014, 08:31:38 AM

It's counter-intuitive, but put the Glass Cannon and Leech perks on your two-hander and buff his elemental resists.  You'll have a ton of extra AP at the cost of some HP but Leech and the resists mean that blood and most elements will heal him.  You'll still be unkillable.
Rasix

Reply #331 on: July 29, 2014, 09:04:08 AM

For some reason toward the end of the game, your melee guys will end up having shit percentages for hitting the harder mobs. Majora was relegated to trash duty because even with buffs, she wasn't going to be hitting the end boss.  Mages really pull a lot of weight then.  The AE blizzard spell you get later hits for a truck if the RNG gods are kind.

Of course, knockdown + bully trait is a lot of fun.  That boulder drop spell is fantastic. (There seems to be a bug with being able to scribe it to a blank earth book, so, keep that in mind while shopping)  It has great range, poisons, and it's a reliable knockdown.  It's great to precast that bitch and then follow up with a fireball.

There's a lot of things I'd like to try, but the game is just too fucking long to replay. Although, this time I imagine I'd spend less time running around wondering what the fuck to do.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: July 29, 2014, 09:07:34 AM

It's counter-intuitive, but put the Glass Cannon and Leech perks on your two-hander and buff his elemental resists.  You'll have a ton of extra AP at the cost of some HP but Leech and the resists mean that blood and most elements will heal him.  You'll still be unkillable.

I have leech on my witch (and she uses the bleed spell A LOT) and my Rogue.  Alas, I've found other talents to be much more useful to my Warrior and she has a metric fuckton of HP anyway...

rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: July 29, 2014, 06:46:48 PM

For end game, Madora will still deliver the goods as long you get CC support from your mages. Stunned/Knocked Down enemies have 0 evasion and take full damage.
Divine Light from Warrior lowered willpower and simply stun with 3 AP shocking grasp.

There are very few genuinely 'GOOD' perks.
I'd recommend to cheese the game and trade the perk point for 10 ability points (moar spells)
When you have 2-3 elemental touch spells that does CC per round - your warrior will just demolish everything without a sweat.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:52:55 PM by rk47 »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #334 on: August 08, 2014, 04:07:22 AM

Larian is back from vacation, and they just released a small patch, with more stuff coming in the next few weeks:

Hello everybody!

We had a small holiday to recuperate from the release but are back now and are going to continue with updating and improving Divinity:Original Sin.

Expect new companions, plenty of quality of life improvements (in the game at least ;) ) and more from us in the coming weeks.

Today's update includes a number of fixes and also introduces UI scaling.

Just go to options/game and use the UI scaling slader if you the user interface is too small/large for you.

Here is the list of other changes:

Introduced UI scaling
Fixed translations of the journal, level names and secrets
Fix for corrupted packed files
Fixed the modding menu
Fixed Henchman XP issue when hiring
Fixed status icons being empty when a character is charmed
Fixed issues when characters stopped following each other
Fixed crash when closing trade before icons are loaded
Fixed invulnerable status of death knights being reapplied after save/load
Minimap moved back to top layer
Fixed rare crash when resurrecting
Fixed Henchmen changing visual after save/load
Fixed race condition with cooperative dialogs
Improved memory footprint on win32
Fixed enemy portrait targeting with special arrows

Editor fixes

AI grid generation fix
It's now easier to add new scripts
Fixed a number of crashes
Improved error reporting when there's an issue with file copying
Remove Perforce status icons if you don't have perforce

Have fun!

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: August 08, 2014, 05:59:14 AM

UI scaling is full retard.
One slider to control everything from font, portrait, hotbar, and frigging chat log window.
C'mon boy, you can do this.  swamp poop

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: August 08, 2014, 10:03:13 AM

I hit a wall or something with this game where I just seem to have suddenly lost interest.  I played it for hours and hours but now haven't touched it for a week or two.  Fired it up last night, played for like 10 minute before one of my character decided the best path was to walk through the lava the rest of the group was walking around and quit playing for the night.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #337 on: August 11, 2014, 07:59:20 AM

Somehow I didn't even make it through the tutorial area.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #338 on: August 11, 2014, 08:21:18 AM

It begins to test your patience for esoteric bullshit.  I'm trying to make whiskey for one of the quests, but I've sold/ destroyed all the barley you can use. So I'm stuck on that quest unless I hunt down whichever vendor I sold it to.  Because allowing selling of quest items is a good idea.

There's roots of a good RPG here as it engaged me at first, but it's really obvious how much bullshit was smoothed in the beta as I've been progressing.  I'm going to stop until they catch up and fix the rest.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #339 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:30 AM

I found the first two hours of this game almost killed it for me. The tutorial dungeon was meh and town seemed like a real slog trying to accomplish anything. Came back and tried again, got to level three, found a companion, and unlocked the hirelings so I could actually leave the gates and get in a fight. Doing that stupid fight with the zombies four or five times outside the front gate hooked me.

I don't normally like hard games, but the hard fights in this come across more like puzzles to me - figuring out the tactics needed to get by them. And I love loot and this game hands out loot like candy.

Currently 7th, using a Rogue with bow backup and a sword and board Cleric as my mains, Fire/Air/Earth wizard and Madora as my followers. Rogue is over 3m per AP on movement. I trigger haste and then next round run 18 meters across the screen to get behind the annoying Shaman, with six AP to spare. Which is enough to backstab him six times.

One question, if I ever find a replacement for Madora, do I have to strip her down before kicking her aside (she bitches to much about magic), or will the game do that for me?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: August 11, 2014, 08:40:21 AM

These are questions that they invented quicksave/load for.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #341 on: August 11, 2014, 11:03:50 AM

IIRC it didn't strip her equipment the time I tried. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle at the time since henchmen weren't leveling-up when joining.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #342 on: August 11, 2014, 03:39:37 PM

Somehow I didn't even make it through the tutorial area.

Sometimes i think the open world non-hand holding design works against it.  Speaking of the tutorial dungeon, one my initial go, i only did the very first area of it and must have missed a hall/door or something, b/c after going to town and leveling up a bit, i ended up doing it backwards.  I saw the locked door under the waterfall, leveled up my lockpicking, open it and was promptly at the "boss fight" of the tutorial dungeon, killed him easily since i was level 3 at that point, and ran through the rest in reverse order until i figured out "hey, this is the end of tutorial dungeon".

Some people would think that poor design and horrible Q&A that you could actually "break the game" by doing things like that.  Other people look at something like that and leads them to experiment with what else they can do and enjoy the flexibility.  YMMV.

Personally, quirks and all this is one of my favorite games in months - not the best or GOTY, but it's the closest thing to a good turn based combat old school RPG i can think of.  By the time im fully done with it, Wasterland2 should be out :)

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #343 on: August 11, 2014, 04:12:53 PM

Normally Sky is into that sort of shit, I think we need a deep analysis of what's gone wrong here.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: August 11, 2014, 06:27:28 PM

Wasteland 2 sucked.
Sorry to blow your bubble.

Rasix

Reply #345 on: August 11, 2014, 07:06:39 PM

Wasteland 2 sucked.
Sorry to blow your bubble.

I need more context.  Do you generally like the Fallout games or do they not apply to Wasteland?  I like played nothing of the original Wasteland, I just know it was somewhat of an inspiration for the series.

-Rasix
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: August 11, 2014, 08:07:31 PM

I'll do a review once the game is out prolly, but my impression of the game based on a 2 hour gameplay length is meh.
I can understand people getting frustrated by difficult or the eurotrash nature of D:OS but Wastelands 2 is a massive disappointment for me.

1. User interface
Didn't feel polished at all. Lots of menu seems too small. Camera just zooms in by default for nothing.
There were no shortcut markings on the buttons, so I have to check the redefine keys menu to figure them out.
C'mon this is 2014, we have 1600x900 pixels to occupy and yet this is what I get

No categorization I had to scroll down till I find what I wanted.

2. Combat
Combat felt so basic because there were no aimed shots, special skills like knockdowns, disarms non-existent, after having a jolly good fun breaking Divinity with Teleportation, Telekinesis, Stealth backstabs, Elemental Combos etc - going back to basic combat felt boring.

In WL2 your moves in combat are simply: Shoot , Use Item, Crouch (Increase to Hit% & Evade), Walk, Ambush.
That's it. You can't move while crouched, you can't go prone. High initiative allows you to Ambush earlier, waiting for people to get closer and open fire. Etc.

My motivation to continue dropped tremendously after I cleared the first area of investigation.
There's nothing grabbing me. I searched so hard to find anything good to say about it, but there's scant consolation: Probably... it doesn't crash? It runs OK on my system? Clearly explained stat systems? For a game that promises so much there seem to be very little to hype about except it being functional and has the word Wastelands on it.

For the record, I did not play Wastelands, so I'm coming into the game just looking for fun and couldn't find much of it.
I backed this on kickstarter and felt disappointed, anyone who plunged $50 on it is just being ripped off IMO.
If you want a tactical squad shooter - grab Jagged Alliance 2.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:12:39 PM by rk47 »

Xilren's Twin

Reply #347 on: August 13, 2014, 07:00:34 AM

I'll do a review once the game is out prolly, but my impression of the game based on a 2 hour gameplay length is meh.
I can understand people getting frustrated by difficult or the eurotrash nature of D:OS but Wastelands 2 is a massive disappointment for me.

My tolerance level for WL2 is going to be pretty high since the original was a favorite back in the day.  Since i already bought it on sale, it would have to suck pretty hard to not play beyond 5 hours.
"Magic" in a game setting really spoils you for choice in combat options - hopefully WL2 will have grenades, lasers and whatnot but they might take a while to appear.
Still cautiously optimistic for now.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: August 14, 2014, 03:51:35 PM

WL2 will be shit. Just read the interview back on page 2 (?). Or watch their awful video.

I bought Divinity but it looks like my laptop is too old to do much with it, maybe. It was also late at night and I was overwhelmed with the usual 'here are 500 skills you can customise your character with, most of them are probably shit but we aren't saying!' stuff.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:53:49 PM by lamaros »
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: August 14, 2014, 04:41:36 PM

WL2 will be shit. Just read the interview back on page 2 (?). Or watch their awful video.

I bought Divinity but it looks like my laptop is too old to do much with it, maybe. It was also late at night and I was overwhelmed with the usual 'here are 500 skills you can customise your character with, most of them are probably shit but we aren't saying!' stuff.

Just take air magic for everyone. Teleport, Blitz bolt.
And rain.
And slam dunk.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  
Jump to: