Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  (Read 149444 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #140 on: July 02, 2014, 12:04:25 PM

The camera in Sacred is in fact absolutely horrific. I have no clue how they fucked up "almost isometric" that badly.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #141 on: July 02, 2014, 12:07:07 PM

Pretty much my impression after a mere 45 minutes. There are some critical items that are too small to see (example: keys) without holding down ALT to make names appear.

I found that key in that fish in Ultima VII, so I'm sure we will all survive this.

In other news: if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #142 on: July 02, 2014, 12:23:27 PM

I know I played Sacred 2 but I can't remember a thing about it.  Must be Old Timer's Disease.  Or too many thresholds. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #143 on: July 02, 2014, 12:25:39 PM

What is eurotrash anyway? I know of ameritrash, which is about US American boardgames. Eurotrash? About European Turn Based RPGs?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #144 on: July 02, 2014, 12:37:50 PM

Next to Eurotrash in the dictionary there's a picture of the box that Risen comes in.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #145 on: July 02, 2014, 12:42:50 PM

Love Letters

(Actually it's a pic of Gothic, which was awesome but far jankier than Risen)
schild
Administrator

Reply #146 on: July 02, 2014, 01:28:10 PM

Both of you are wrong. The picture was permanently replaced with a screenshot of Drakensang.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #147 on: July 02, 2014, 01:32:42 PM

I haven't played any of those games, and don't care.  Tell me which classes are the best in Divinity and how to spec them, please.  That is all I want.
schild
Administrator

Reply #148 on: July 02, 2014, 01:33:45 PM

Still living by the Prima Strategy guide, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #149 on: July 02, 2014, 01:57:51 PM

far jankier than Risen

The idea of that makes my neck hurt.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #150 on: July 02, 2014, 02:17:06 PM

In completely unrelated related news, Sacred 3 is developed by Deep Silver which is owned by... Koch Media? Weird.

Anyway, Sacred 3 looks great.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #151 on: July 02, 2014, 03:13:16 PM

Oh my god the writing in this game is actively painful.  At first i thought it was some veiled parody of fantasy tropes pulled from other books and movies due to all the over the top humor in the crafting books and exaggerated characters and whatnot (hello nine inch nails).  But for the main story,  after big reveal #1 I honestly think someone took this seriously.  Please someone, tell me it's intentional wank.

And the lack of hand holding is nice change of pace.  Can you imagine your average "WoW is the only rpg i've ever played" person thinking "wait, i have to go explore the whole town to find the legion commander?  Where's my quest arrow!?!"  while tromping right by a thinly hidden locked door next to a waterfall...

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 02, 2014, 03:48:59 PM

In completely unrelated related news, Sacred 3 is developed by Deep Silver which is owned by... Koch Media? Weird.

Different Koch.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #153 on: July 02, 2014, 06:27:26 PM

It does look fun.  I guess I'll have to get it via Steam because I can't seem to find a PC box version in the US.   I think you might be able to pre-oder a box from the UK but I'm not sure.  If I get it in August I might have just enough time to get through a fair bit of it before Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is released (which I would probably get for the xbox). 

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #154 on: July 02, 2014, 07:09:59 PM

Still living by the Prima Strategy guide, I see.

Well, the ones that actually offered useful information, yes.  So at least before 2000.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #155 on: July 02, 2014, 07:20:32 PM

This game has difficulty level too, if you're really unsure and want to have fun - I'd say just pick whatever that looks interesting, get to the first combat and see how it plays out.
That said, I'm dropping this till they increase all animation speed, combat, movement etc takes a tad too long. It reminded me of running Heroes 5 for the first time watching those spells animations are neat, but after a while I just want to settle this combat within 2 mins.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: July 03, 2014, 07:39:29 AM

I sort of think the writing is at least trying to be humorous, judging from the charmed she-orc thing you run into very early, but in fact most of the conversations. But I usually feel that the writing in European-made RPGs is weird or off in some fashion.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #157 on: July 03, 2014, 07:52:24 AM

I like some of the little cute touches.  Like the cats roaming around and suddenly plop down on the floor, stick a back leg straight up in the air and twist around for some deep cleaning.  Mine do that all the time. 

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #158 on: July 03, 2014, 08:22:53 AM

I can't complete a quest now because I lost at Paper-Rock-Scissors.   Ohhhhh, I see.

It failed the "Warming the Crowd" quest so I now cannot complete the "Headless Nick" quest.  So, I'm going to have that fucking thing in my quest log forever unless I murder the entire crowd and guards. YAY.   Lazy ass quest design.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:31:34 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #159 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:50 AM

I can't complete a quest now because I lost at Paper-Rock-Scissors.   Ohhhhh, I see.

It failed the "Warming the Crowd" quest so I now cannot complete the "Headless Nick" quest.  So, I'm going to have that fucking thing in my quest log forever unless I murder the entire crowd and guards. YAY.   Lazy ass quest design.
Can you edit it?
Jaedar
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 03, 2014, 11:50:42 PM

Next to Eurotrash in the dictionary there's a picture of the box that Risen comes in.
Ohhhhh, I see.

As long as this isn't one of those old-school games that makes me compulsively click on asbolutely everything because they hide loot all over the place.  Death to pixel-hunting.
That is precisely what this is. With a varnish of Eurotrash.

Pretty much my impression after a mere 45 minutes. There are some critical items that are too small to see (example: keys) without holding down ALT to make names appear.
Divinity original sin is a really cool game. The fact that you have the alt-key and what it sees is tied to your perception stat means that calling it a pixel hunt game makes you an idiot or an ignoramus.

I can't complete a quest now because I lost at Paper-Rock-Scissors.   Ohhhhh, I see.

It failed the "Warming the Crowd" quest so I now cannot complete the "Headless Nick" quest.  So, I'm going to have that fucking thing in my quest log forever unless I murder the entire crowd and guards. YAY.   Lazy ass quest design.
Does not have enough stats/skills to win quest in a good way -> Lazy quest design. Bull. Lazy player excuse for being bad at the game.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: July 03, 2014, 11:51:42 PM

Euro is a religion of peace. Behead those who insult Euro!

schild
Administrator

Reply #162 on: July 04, 2014, 12:32:06 AM

As long as this isn't one of those old-school games that makes me compulsively click on asbolutely everything because they hide loot all over the place.  Death to pixel-hunting.
That is precisely what this is. With a varnish of Eurotrash.

Divinity original sin is a really cool game. The fact that you have the alt-key and what it sees is tied to your perception stat means that calling it a pixel hunt game makes you an idiot or an ignoramus.

I can't complete a quest now because I lost at Paper-Rock-Scissors.   Ohhhhh, I see.

It failed the "Warming the Crowd" quest so I now cannot complete the "Headless Nick" quest.  So, I'm going to have that fucking thing in my quest log forever unless I murder the entire crowd and guards. YAY.   Lazy ass quest design.
Does not have enough stats/skills to win quest in a good way -> Lazy quest design. Bull. Lazy player excuse for being bad at the game.
I don't know about all that. It's pretty obtuse compared to Planescape: Torment, and there are children playing games these days that weren't born yet when that came out. I haven't found much here that is an advancement beyond that design. The writing is worse, but it's kind of nice to have a game like this now. Just by existing it's kind of fun.

But does it need to exist? Naw, probably not. I mean, we are getting Torment: Not Planescape soonish.

(I'd compare it to Baldur's Gate, but Planescape is better.)

(Don't trust the skull.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:33:46 AM by schild »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 04, 2014, 12:43:22 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

The first time I protested about some silly comments about Europe (as if Europe and Europeans really were ONE thing, one people, one country, one culture instead of about many dozens extremely different from each others) was 8 yars ago and I was told that this is an American-centered (can't remember the exact words) message board so I shouldn't get too surprised or annoyed.

I suggest you do the same, it's hopeless.

Jaedar
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: July 04, 2014, 01:17:44 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

The first time I protested about some silly comments about Europe (as if Europe and Europeans really were ONE thing, one people, one country, one culture instead of about many dozens extremely different from each others) was 8 yars ago and I was told that this is an American-centered (can't remember the exact words) message board so I shouldn't get too surprised or annoyed.

I suggest you do the same, it's hopeless.
First of all: Never give up never surrender. Beyond that, eurotrash seems to imply a lack of quality, which is what I'm objecting to. Unless you're saying americans mostly like shit games, can't really argue with calling risen eurotrash in that case.

I don't know about all that. It's pretty obtuse compared to Planescape: Torment, and there are children playing games these days that weren't born yet when that came out. I haven't found much here that is an advancement beyond that design. The writing is worse, but it's kind of nice to have a game like this now. Just by existing it's kind of fun.

But does it need to exist? Naw, probably not. I mean, we are getting Torment: Not Planescape soonish.

(I'd compare it to Baldur's Gate, but Planescape is better.)

(Don't trust the skull.)
What does Torment have to do with anything? I hope beyond hope that numenara will have "emergent gameplay" and combat as good as this, but it's not likely in the slightest. There are multiple subgenres of RPG's you know, PS:T was 100% story focused. This otoh, is gameplay focused. And there are precious few turn-based RPG's around and none in the last decade with a scope this big. Does it need to exist? Fucked if I know, but I'm damn glad it does. I don't even know what you're trying to say? Did planescape give you infinite retries if you failed a skill check? No, it mostly didn't. Failing would often lead to combat.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 04, 2014, 01:24:35 AM

All I can say about lots (not all!) of US Americans is that they tend to think they know what's good and what's bad. What feels right and what feels odd. As an absolute. Globally. Worldwide. And soon enough galaxywide.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: July 04, 2014, 01:36:17 AM

I'm apparently stuck in the tutorial dungeon. Two pressure plates. I stand on them both, a door opens. I try to move one of the character through the door, it closes.

No indication of how I should keep a trigger door open.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Those broken pieces of debris all around, previously shown to be of use in blocking vents, are also to be used in holding down pressure plates.

Well I'm glad the tutorial dungeon failed to explain that! Now I feel like a smartie, and I'm not at all rolling my eyes at the incomplete design of this tutorial dungeon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:43:08 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: July 04, 2014, 01:55:25 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #168 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:20 AM

All I can say about lots (not all!) of US Americans is that they tend to think they know what's good and what's bad. What feels right and what feels odd. As an absolute. Globally. Worldwide. And soon enough galaxywide.

This isn't a patriotic conspiracy to shit on something, you donk. Eurotrash is a fucking genre at this point.

Jaedar, I'm not quoting that entire post on my phone, but you lost me at emergent gameplay.
Darth Roxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:43 AM

I'm apparently stuck in the tutorial dungeon. Two pressure plates. I stand on them both, a door opens. I try to move one of the character through the door, it closes.

No indication of how I should keep a trigger door open.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Those broken pieces of debris all around, previously shown to be of use in blocking vents, are also to be used in holding down pressure plates.

Well I'm glad the tutorial dungeon failed to explain that! Now I feel like a smartie, and I'm not at all rolling my eyes at the incomplete design of this tutorial dungeon.

RTFM?

From the wake of Magellan to Magellan's wake.
Jaedar
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 04, 2014, 02:07:54 AM

This isn't a patriotic conspiracy to shit on something, you donk. Eurotrash is a fucking genre at this point.

Jaedar, I'm not quoting that entire post on my phone, but you lost me at emergent gameplay.
Please specify the parameters of the eurotrash genre. Please note that "being made in europe" is not sufficient unless you're ok with it being dumb. Also, that's why I used the "" cause the term has been misused so much.

Well no, you should feel like a person who had a massive brainfart and decided to blame it on the devs instead of sucking up your own failure. Sheeit, not even Zelda feels the need to spell it out that objects can press switches.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 04, 2014, 02:11:40 AM

I miss simpler puzzle like Skyrim's claw.
Goddamn that was good. I was stumped at first, then I read a journal, and examined the claw, using the close up function to rotate and zoom in - I managed to deduce the answer, rotate the stone pillar to the correct logos before I threw the switch.
Now that's GOOD tutorial design!

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: July 04, 2014, 02:12:53 AM

You guys act as if I've played a game like this.

Um, ever.

I have not.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this game entirely unlike anything I've played since... maybe 1990?

But hey! At least you get to savor your sense of smug superiority. I'm sure that'll rack up the sales, bro.

- Henry Cobb
Darth Roxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: July 04, 2014, 02:14:44 AM

You guys act as if I've played a game like this.

Um, ever.

I have not.

[intelligence] if you are not familiar with games of this type, perhaps it would be a good idea to read the manual!

Rocket science, I know.

From the wake of Magellan to Magellan's wake.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: July 04, 2014, 02:23:07 AM

[intelligence] if you are not familiar with games of this type, perhaps it would be a good idea to read the manual!

Thanks, Mr. 29-post, F13-newbie Divinity-fanboy!

I know, i know. It's desperately important to you that everyone in the world find your favorite game flawless and unquestionable, but maybe - just maybe - you might wish to recognize that games made in the last 20 years rarely rely on a manual. Particularly those sold through Steam.

I know, I'm simply some idiot noob, expecting a game to explain itself, as games have done for the past two decades. Again, please enjoy your sense of smug superiority. I assure you, I am deeply impressed, and your smugness has thoroughly convinced me of both my own idiocy and your pet game's supremacy.

Rest assured I now go to play a different game while crying bitter tears that I will never experience the rapture of Your Favorite Game.

Say hi to Cleve Blackmore for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:25:01 AM by Stormwaltz »

- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Divinity: Original Sin - Turn based, coop including editor? Sign me up  
Jump to: